Author Topic: Any BMW owners here (320i,328i - 2014-2015 models) ?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline goo-goo

Any BMW owners here (320i,328i - 2014-2015 models) ?
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:51:02 AM »
Hi guys. I thought I ask this question around here. Any BMW Series 3 owners around here? Specifically models 320i or 328i. How has your experience been with these models? Maintenance cost? Outside noise? Handling? Been thinking about getting one later this year but not sure yet.

What has your overall experience with BMW been (all models)?

Currently drive a VW Jetta 2014.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Any BMW owners here (320i,328i - 2014-2015 models) ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »
I've owned an 87, 97, and 06 3-series, and recently spent a week in an 08 M3. Those represent 4 different platforms (E30, E36, E46, and E90). What you're looking at is the F platform, which is really a very different type of car than the earlier 3-series BMWs (hence the end of the E platforms). To be honest, I have no interest in them. BMW has been gradually moving away from "driver's" cars towards comfortable/lazy cars, IMO. Just not my bag. I've had a couple of F30 loaners from the dealership and didn't much care for them at all. They didn't feel solid, which is a first for any BMW I've ever seen, and they weren't fun to drive at all. I suspect BMW wants the "drivers" to pop for M models. They're selling the normal 3's to folk who just want a comfortable ride and don't care about having fun.

As for maintenance and cost of ownership, BMW traditionally builds a sold car. I put ~225k on my first two, and had no qualms whatsoever about buying my 3rd with 90k miles already on the clock. In the case of the first car I drove it every single day like Buford T Justice was chasing me. The second I drove for ~50k with a blown head gasket. They're hard to kill. In both cases it was secondary problems that caused me to abandon them. Replacing that head gasket would have cost more than the rest of the car was worth, but the rest of the car was still in good shape. They will need maintenance, and maintenance is pretty expensive. However, I've found that the really expensive stuff just doesn't give out. I suspect on average I've spent ~$2k/yr on repair. Since I pay cash for my cars this works just fine for me.

Having said that, I didn't get the impression those F30s I drove were expected to be low cost, high mileage cars. Wouldn't surprise me to see those things turning pretty expensive after ~100k. My hunch is that most manufacturers are shifting towards a model where everybody leases or buy's former lease cars with 30k on them and turns them around every 3 or 5 years. I don't think they're really making cars with people like me in mine anymore.

So after all of that, I guess what it comes down to is what you want out of a car. Do you want to drive the hell out of it or is it simply transportation. Do you want to own it for the next 10 years, or do you get tired of cars and move on. That sort of thing. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:13:07 PM »
2011 128i (with the sport package, which makes a difference) here, so more of just general experience with BMW.  The car itself has been great, only had one semi-major issue (cracked head gasket, ans that was six years in), and still falls into the fun-to-drive category.  Maintenance experience has been hit-and miss with them, including missing some obvious stuff (e.g. sparkplugs about to go) during routine service.  I could see another one not too far off, likely a 2 or 4 series (which both still fall into the "fun" bucket for me).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:47:05 PM »
I don't know of any world where a blown head gasket is only a "semi" major issue.  :lol  Down here it's often preferable just to put a used engine in the thing than to crack the head open.

Also, I overlooked two points in the OP. Outside noise is almost non-existent. On the rare occasion my sunroof is all the way closed (I always leave it tilted, even in the rain) I can't hear emergency vehicles approaching. As for handling, the 3-series has set the bar for great, but not temperamental, handling for the last 30 years.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 02:54:40 PM »

So after all of that, I guess what it comes down to is what you want out of a car. Do you want to drive the hell out of it or is it simply transportation. Do you want to own it for the next 10 years, or do you get tired of cars and move on. That sort of thing.

I have always based car purchases on the need, instead of what I like. I bought the Jetta just because it's a commuter car. Have driven 80k miles in 3 years. But its loud as fuck: too much noise from the the outside and the AC noise is also very loud. However, I haven't had any single issue with it and the maintenance cost is decent ($80 oil changes). My commute is almost 50 miles per day. I would like to have something that I like, that doesn't break the bank, good fuel economy, and definitely quieter, a bit more comfortable than the Jetta.  I would love to buy this car and drive the shit out of it and hopefully I can drive it for 10 years. I've been getting some alerts on Autotrader and it seems that a lot of leases are ending and have seen some 320's under 16k (2015). Would prefer the 328 though for the greater HP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:33:12 PM »
Following this thread.  I don't have any experience to offer but:

I have always based car purchases on the need, instead of what I like. I bought the Jetta just because it's a commuter car. Have driven 80k miles in 3 years. But its loud as fuck: too much noise from the the outside and the AC noise is also very loud. However, I haven't had any single issue with it and the maintenance cost is decent ($80 oil changes). My commute is almost 50 miles per day. I would like to have something that I like, that doesn't break the bank, good fuel economy, and definitely quieter, a bit more comfortable than the Jetta.  I would love to buy this car and drive the shit out of it and hopefully I can drive it for 10 years. I've been getting some alerts on Autotrader and it seems that a lot of leases are ending and have seen some 320's under 16k (2015). Would prefer the 328 though for the greater HP.

this kind of sounds exactly what I am looking for in my next car, that I am pretty sure I will purchase this year as my Civic is starting to physically deteriorate and any costs to fix it will probably be more than the value of the car.  A 2010 model with almost 140k miles I put on it now.  My coworker recently bought a used BMW for the cheap (I'll have to find out the exact model) and the idea of doing so to get a better car could be an option instead of just getting another Honda (was debating about getting an Accord or just get another Civic for the next car).

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 06:55:40 PM »
I don't know of any world where a blown head gasket is only a "semi" major issue.  :lol  Down here it's often preferable just to put a used engine in the thing than to crack the head open.

Caught it before anything horrible happened, I think it was only ~$1500 to fix.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:05:36 PM »
I have a 2004 m3 (e46) and I've had it for a long time now, I'll be giving her up this year (maybe) but my experience is as follows.

The car is a lot of fun, especially when I first got it and it's been super reliable if you keep up with the maintenance. The reason I want to get rid of mine (maybe, it's hard to let it go :lol) is because I'm just tired of wrenching on it on the weekends fixing small issues that will turn into big issues if I don't get ahead of. I really have a love/hate with the car. Some days when my door lock is making a strange noise that I know is going to make me work on a Saturday I hate it, but when I take the country road home from work I can do nothing but smile.

Issues that I've had with the car are as follows:

Valve Cover Gasket leak at around 140k miles
Oil Filter Gasket leak at around 160k miles
Had to do a suspension refresh (this is really a maintenance thing)
Driver door lock

Nothing too serious but you absolutely have to stay on top of maintenance, negligence is not a good look for BMW/Mercedes/Audi.

I also echo a lot of what Barto has said in terms of drivers car, they have moved away from that aspect as the generations have carried on and that may be what you're looking for, but maybe not. My advice is do some cross-shopping with some other manufacturers and get a good look at what else is out there, Audi makes some really great vehicles. Also apologies for my disjointed thoughts.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 08:27:42 PM »
Barto nailed it.   I have a similar history; '82 320, '88 325, and a '95 540, and now I have a '06 X3 that I drive, and a '08 328ix that the daughter drives (I got a deal on it; my son was for a time a tech at the local BMW stealer).  I have never bought one new; the cars were 8, 5, 6, 9 and 8 years old when I bought them and every one (except for the current '06 and '08) got me over or at least in shouting distance of 200k miles.  The only one that I had any serious trouble with was the 5 series; I needed a catalytic converter assembly and I couldn't make sense of that price-wise so I traded it in for a new Volvo S60 which I drove for over 12 years. 

You HAVE to stay up on maintenance; these are not toys or throwaway cars.   But if you treat them right, they will reward you; those 3-series engines are solid as a rock, in my opinion.   I can't speak to the newest ones, but if it matters to you, my son says the same thing:  the drivers gravitate to the M series; he had an '04 3 series that was customized to be basically an M-series in all but badging, and he won't likely drive another that wasn't. That doesn't mean that they are any less quality, they are just "tuned" differently. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 08:33:59 PM »
Also to add the inline 6's are bullet proof, typically it's everything else that is failure prone in the car.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
Thank you guys for your input. I think I will start looking into selling my car and buying a 328i. I'll keep you posted within the next few months.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 10:43:29 AM »
Also to add the inline 6's are bullet proof, typically it's everything else that is failure prone in the car.
Yeah, the engine they've perfected over the last 80 years, and don't even put in 3-series cars anymore. Either you get a twin-turbo X-drive or you get a 4 banger.
E.F. Benson

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 07:31:04 AM »
Have a 2013 328i that I bought certified used. Only issue so far I've had is a crack in the gas tank. No idea how it happened, but since it was certified used and still under warranty they replaced it for free. No other issues since I bought it in 2016.