Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 105953 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FINAL HANGMAN
« Reply #1680 on: May 05, 2018, 10:10:01 AM »
1. Incredible. It's like two of my favorite bands had a baby and let King Crimson raise it.

2. I love how gentle and relaxed this is but how catchy and rhythmic it can be at the same time.

3. No, no, no, this is all wrong.

4. I don't dislike the singer at all, but my favorite moments are the instrumental ones where the rest of the musicians really get to shine.

5. Great voice on the singer, amazing keyboard playing/voice variety, just excellent all around, I loved this from start to finish.

6. Someone gave Cat Stevens a lot of drugs. A lot of really good drugs.

7. I would love to know how you come across such beautiful, unique music like this album. This is very peaceful.

8. Some songs sound very similar to each other so I think it goes on much too long, but I really dig the overall vibe of this record. Another album where my favorite moments are instrumental.

9. I like the uplifting vibe these songs have and all the tasty, positive-sounding instrumental bits and solos. Massive props to the keyboardist - wow!

10. This album makes me feel conflicted. There are a lot of moments I simply adore, and they seem just out of reach of being able to replicate brilliance of that magnitude on every track.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1681 on: May 05, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »
Lots of roulette hosts struggle to find a scoring system that actually works.
Says the guy with the most confusing scoring system yet.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1682 on: May 05, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »

Guess I'm going out with a whimper.

And I like the scoring system you have been using. It would feel inconsistent to change it now.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FINAL SNIPS
« Reply #1683 on: May 05, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »
:neverusethis:

All right, I'll just do the usual.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1684 on: May 05, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »
I would say it would have been absolutely fine to change the scoring system for the final round (even something simple like double points) in order to raise the stakes, but if so then it would have been better to do that before submissions in case it affects what people want to send (high risk vs safe, etc).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1685 on: May 05, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »
Lots of roulette hosts struggle to find a scoring system that actually works.
Says the guy with the most confusing scoring system yet.

:neverusethis:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: May 05, 2018, 10:32:53 AM »
I would say it would have been absolutely fine to change the scoring system for the final round (even something simple like double points) in order to raise the stakes, but if so then it would have been better to do that before submissions in case it affects what people want to send (high risk vs safe, etc).

Very good point. Yeah, I'll just consider it for the next one then.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1687 on: May 05, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »
I'm definitely going with a different scoring system for my next roulette. My next one will also be an album roulette. I like Wolfking's scoring system.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: May 05, 2018, 10:36:54 AM »
Use wolfking's, but add it to Elite's formula, then use quadratic equations to graph the peaks and valleys of each submission for ultimate scoring :2metal:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1689 on: May 05, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
Use wolfking's, but add it to Elite's formula, then use quadratic equations to graph the peaks and valleys of each submission for ultimate scoring :2metal:
:hefdaddy This gives me an idea...... :justjen
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1690 on: May 05, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »

Guess I'm going out with a whimper.
nah this is me

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1691 on: May 05, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »
2. I love how gentle and relaxed this is but how catchy and rhythmic it can be at the same time.

7. I would love to know how you come across such beautiful, unique music like this album. This is very peaceful.
Very likely #7, but maybe #2.

I think you should post one or two albums at a time, by the ranking of the player, to build more suspense :neverusethis:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1692 on: May 05, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »
Mine is probably 4th, so there's that.

I'm just really curious who wins, Sacul or Stadler. Personally, I'm rooting for Stadler.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: May 05, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »
who'd win, old dad or a young boi

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1694 on: May 05, 2018, 10:52:18 AM »
when i was

a young boi

my old dad

took me into dtf

to see a roulette man

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1696 on: May 05, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »

For real though; my ultimate goal was to combine scoring and elimination, without eliminating someone every round and without the eliminations being at ‘fixed’ points. Since I don’t like scoring from 0-10, the method I came up with basically ranks the songs against each other, which hopefully will turn out to be a fair way of scoring. It also means that in a ‘bad’ round an average song could win, but that’s part of the game.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1697 on: May 05, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »
My vote is that scoring should be kept consistent throughout.  Looking at those snippets, I think any one of them could apply to Moon Safari.  I doubt #4, since they have so many vocal harmonies.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: May 05, 2018, 12:04:02 PM »

For real though; my ultimate goal was to combine scoring and elimination, without eliminating someone every round and without the eliminations being at ‘fixed’ points. Since I don’t like scoring from 0-10, the method I came up with basically ranks the songs against each other, which hopefully will turn out to be a fair way of scoring. It also means that in a ‘bad’ round an average song could win, but that’s part of the game.

Yeah, I was just poking fun since I first read the scoring rules when I was super tired and was like uhhh :lol I actually think it's pretty cool.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1699 on: May 05, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »
If that version of scoring gives me the win, I'm all for it. Otherwise I would say leave it as it is.

You stole my answer!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1700 on: May 05, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »
who'd win, old dad or a young boi

Defense wins championships. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: May 06, 2018, 01:34:30 PM »
Okay, y'all... gonna try to have results up and finish this baby tonight. I have more to write up than just the normal results but here's hoping.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1702 on: May 06, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1703 on: May 06, 2018, 01:49:10 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: May 06, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
Wow wow wow @ the submissions this round. Several were EXCELLENT, and got very high scores. The people who scores high might be surprised - I was, too! This roulette was really fun and thanks to everyone for playing, let's do it again in the future :)

I was going to add up the averages and then add to the final score but I didn't tell you that before the round began, so we'll just end it here. Also I'm too tired after writing all this up to bother doing that. So let's get to it!!

1. Frost* - Milliontown

2006; neo-progressive rock
sent by ariich

This is extraordinarily good. I went in thinking, "I've always heard about this, I hope it's all right" and came out floored. Super happy, positive melodies and phrasings, all of the synth lead voices and patches are excellent which is of course a massive plus. The keyboard playing is out of this world, I just can't get enough of it. I like "Hyperventilate" a whole lot for managing to remain engaging and fun for 7 and a half minutes as an instrumental. The other three middle songs all sound unique and are great in their own ways, but those epics, man, that is some awesome stuff, impressed me in many of the same ways Mystery and IQ did, but those two songs are wholly unique and interesting from start to finish. "Black Light Machine" has kickass guitar playing, a spacey section in the middle that I love, and a really catchy, almost Sonic the Hedgehog-type vibe at the end. The same can be said for the title track, but it never gets old... it's just tasty synth solo after synth solo. One of the most fun and outstanding albums of the roulette. Hard to believe this is their debut. It's fucking amazing and gets better each time. 10/10

Favorite tracks: Hyperventilate, Black Light Machine, Milliontown

2. The Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky

1982; progressive rock
sent by Tomislav95

I've always heard it and wondered what that song was... ("Sirius"). Incredible. It's like two of my favorite bands - Toto and Asia - had a baby and let King Crimson raise it. This takes almost every quality of Toto and Asia's early periods and blends them together perfectly, with some moments that vaguely remind me of In The Court... Love on first listen. So catchy! I particularly love the midsection of "Silence and I" with the awesome horns. Lots of groovy stuff here and amazing synth work, I like what's going on in "Psychobabble" and "Mammagamma" is a brilliant piece, it reminds me a lot of Pink Floyd. I love the quality of the singer's voice and harmonies, the melodic phrasings and cadences, the varied instrumentation, all of this is just killer. "Old and Wise" is a great closer. Superb songwriting all around. I do think "Silence and I" could be a minute and a half shorter, and not every track blows my mind, but that's very minor. Doesn't get much better than this. 10/10

Favorite tracks: Children of the Moon; Silence and I; Mammagamma

3. Vision Divine - Stream of Consciousness

2004; power metal
sent by Lethean

I had a much longer write-up, so let's try this again. Sending straight power metal was such a risky choice... I ignored this band when I was a kid in favor of other more immediately appealing choices. I'm super jaded on this genre. So when I first listened to this album, I didn't like it at all. Thought it was rote, derivative, boring... but then I came back to it again, and again, and again. Sitting here listening through my good headphones, listening to it again.. this is a gem that I ignored for a very long time. The more I hear this, the more I like it, and Michele Luppi, too. Songs like "Colours Of My World," "La Vita Fugge" (that final note, my god, that's how you end a power metal anthem! HELL yes!), "Shades," "Out Of The Maze"... that super speedy, double bass, ultra catchy power metal, that is what I like in my power metal. I think when they slow it down (even if it's midtempo, it's relatively slow) it's not as interesting, which is consistent with my power metal tastes - speedier and louder is usually better - but when they're good, they're really fucking good. I'm super impressed at how much this grew on me, listening with a good pair of headphones and speakers really brings out the power in the songs. I almost don't want to give it such a high score, and yet... This is EPIC. Luppi ain't no Fabio, but he's DAMN good on this album, and when the band channels their inner Stratovarius ("Shades," "La Vita Fugge" etc.) I can't help but want to sing along and bang my head. This is some really good stuff. This is so much better than what power metal has turned into over the last decade. :) 9.5/10

Favorite tracks: La Vita Fugge; Shades; Out Of The Maze

4. Moon Safari - Live In Mexico

2014; progressive rock
sent by jingle.boy

A lot of the praise I have for this album is the same as I have for Frost*'s Milliontown. Incredible keyboard/synth melodies and performance. The vocalist is awesome. I'm wary of how much live albums are overdubbed, but if this is all live in its entirety, they nailed this. Everything is clean and easily heard, even the vocal harmonies. And the melodies, they're so happy. To me, this is 'fun' prog - my favorite kind, not that serious, brooding kind, partially because you can get away with these awesome synth lead sounds and positive chord progressions in the happy prog, and I love those two aspects of this album. Man, that playing. All of the last three songs just knock it out. of. the. park. Each of the songs goes by without me ever wanting to check the time, that positive energy is so infectious, the playful solos and jamming, I'm tickled pink at how fun these guys make prog rock sound... kind of glad you backed off the metal, jingle, 'cause this is fucking fantastic! 9.5/10

Favorite tracks: Too Young To Say Goodbye; Crossed the Rubicon; Lover's End Pt III

5. Bonobo - Migration

2017; experimental/downtempo
sent by home

I fucking love your taste in chill music, homeboi... this is so so good. It's perfect 'good weather' music, shower music, workout music, driving music. I love how gentle and relaxed this is, but also how catchy and rhythmic it is. This makes me feel good. Par for the course I could do without the singing on some of the songs but I'm weird about electronic-based music like that (although, "Bambro Koyo Ganda" is kickass and it works there best). The arrangements are still beautiful and I love how organically the songs evolve and introduce new ideas. I'm bad at drum/beat terminology but whatever's going on with the beat in tracks like "Outlier" (at the start) is very nice and fun to hear. "Second Sun" isn't a bad track but breaks the flow to me because it's the one track without some rhythm underneath, and I think the rhythms are some of the best things about the album. I still dig the hell out of this and love listening to it from start to finish. "7th Sevens" is flawless. Makes me think of summer. 9.0/10

Favorite tracks: Outlier; Ontario; 7th Sevens

6. Kashiwa Daisuke - program music II

2016; experimental
sent by Sacul

I would love to know how you come across such beautiful, unique music like this album. This is very peaceful. It picks up in a few spots which I'm actually not crazy about, like in "meteor" and near the end of "city in the lake" - I think the album is best when it's a bit more subdued, but that's just me. I love the piano solo spots. "airport" combines the beauty of the the piano with a fantastic upbeat drum track that makes the song intense but in a different way from "city in the lake" that I just adore. It's very pretty. "cluster gear" is a really cool track with interesting stuff happening underneath the tinkling of the piano, it sounds like pizzicato strings but it's very sharp. "subaru" is really good and similar to "airport" in its mood. That run right there really impresses me, although on repeat listens, as pretty as the rest is, I did start to want some of the songs to hurry up and finish ("city in the lake"). But it's a very pretty album and I enjoyed this a lot. 8.5/10

Favorite tracks: airport; cluster gear; subaru

7. iamthemorning - Lighthouse

2016; progressive rock
sent by Evermind

I don't dislike the singer at all, but my favorite moments are the instrumental ones where the rest of the musicians really get to shine. That's not a diss on the singer; she has a lovely voice, but I find myself more drawn to what's happening underneath the vocals than the lyrics. I love the variety of styles and instruments at work here. The second half of "Clear Clearer" with the gorgeous synth lead and that melody, man, that's good music right there. "Harmony" is another favorite of mine, it's interesting enough on its own without needing any words (again, not a diss on the singer). I dig how theatrical everything is, but it never goes overboard for me; it's not so schizo that it hops from one side of the mood spectrum to the other in a single song. It's well-tempered. All that said, I'm not exactly jumping to play it again, but it is a good album, and you've got me interested in this group now. 8.0/10

Favorite tracks: Clear Clearer; Harmony; Chalk and Coal

8. Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood

1977; progressive rock
sent by Stadler

Someone gave Cat Stevens a lot of drugs. A lot of really good drugs. That was my first real thought about this album, and I still think that, but it's just a funny observation. This album is pretty unique and individual but as a result it's kind of exhausting to hear so much folkiness from start to finish. By the end, I feel like I've had my fill of this style for a while. "Ring Out Solstice Bells" is really cool and kind of trippy at the end though. "Beltane" has a really interesting turn in the chorus melody that I love. It's cool to end on a song like that after prancing in the woods with fairies and hippies for the whole album. Seriously, this is really good, and as seems to be the case, I enjoyed this far more than I expected to, although after a full spin, I become antsy to hear something radically different. Sorry Stads - you came very close to winning. :) 8.0/10

Favorite tracks: Cup of Wonder; Ring Out Solstice Bells; Beltane

9. Matthew Good - Avalanche

2003; alternative rock
sent by Puppies_On_Acid

I can't say I love this album, but after listening to it several times, I do think it's better than a lot of stuff I've heard in this style. I wouldn't consider myself an alt rock fan (or folk rock, whatever this style tends to be called). There's just something about all the artists in this that adopt the same sound that doesn't click with me. A lot of songs here seem to sound very similar to one another and since I'm not crazy about the style that stands out to be in a bad way. There are pockets, little moments, of greatness, like towards the end of "A Long Way Down," and in songs like "While We Were Hunting Rabbits." He's got a good voice, maybe it's because it reminds me just a little bit of Silversun Pickups at times, but I've liked it more with each repeat listen. Silly as it might sound, I liked this most when I played this on a cloudy, cool day at work. Listening to it on a bright sunny day makes me feel weird, like it doesn't fit. I may dig out some of these tracks for the next rainy day... I think it goes on a bit too long, but my favorite moments here are instrumental and I wish there were more of them. Not a bad album at all. Just not a style I'm crazy about. 7.5/10

Favorite tracks: In a World Called Catastrophe; 21st Century Living; A Long Way Dow

10. East of the Wall - The Apologist

2011; progressive metal/experimental
sent by Parama

No, no, no, this is all wrong. I (kind of) liked the first song up until the shouting. And that's one of my biggest problems with this album... The shouting/screaming vocals ruin everything, especially when they only pop in for a little bit. The other is that it's so noisy. "Precious Memories" is good, it's like a regular song of theirs without any vocals, although the guitar parts make it all... well, noisy. By the halfway mark I'm a bit antsy to get it over with. It's heavy and technically impressive, but there's not much for me to sink my teeth into here. "Nurser of Small Hurts" is a much needed change after "A Functional Tumor" and is one of my favorites as a result. I gotta admit, it was a chore just to get through this for one listen, and I didn't make it through the second, only revisiting it after that for this write-up to check the notes I took on it. But overall this is just way too noisy with far too many annoying vocals for me to like. You should have sent Six Roaming Owls - now you have six roaming points. :P 4/10

Favorite tracks: My Favorite Society Guy; Precious Memories; Nurser of Small Hurts

Scores & Favorites

1. Sacul - 71.5
(Favorite submissions: Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool; Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn; Fishmans - Long Season)

2. Stadler - 71.0
(Favorite submissions: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer; Yes - Going For The One; Wetton/Downes - Icon 3)

3. Evermind - 70.5
(Favorite submissions: IQ - The Road of Bones; David Gilmour - On An Island; Mark Knopfler - Kill To Get Crimson)

3. home - 70.5
(Favorite submissions: Ólafur Arnalds - For Now I Am Winter; Nils Frahm - Felt; Bonobo - Migration)

3. jingle.boy - 70.5
(Favorite submissions: Mystery - The World Is A Game; Moon Safari - Live In Mexico)

6. Tomislav95 - 68.5
(Favorite submissions: The Antlers - Hospice; Tom Waits - Closing Time; The Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky)

7. ariich - 67.0
(Favorite submissions: Caligula's Horse - In Contact; Frost* - Milliontown)

8. Puppies_On_Acid - 64.5
(Favorite submissions: Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating By The Stars; Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites; Shadow Gallery - Tyranny)

9. Lethean - 63.0
(Favorite submissions: Leprous - Coal; Vision Divine - Stream of Consciousness)

10. Parama - 57.5
(Favorite submission: Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FINAL RESULTS!!!
« Reply #1705 on: May 06, 2018, 05:35:17 PM »
I’m not even playing here, but big ouch at East of the Wall getting 4/10. That album is ridiculously good and doesn’t deserve the pummeling it got.

Also, let me be the first (and probably only one) to say that Experiments in Mass Appeal (Frost*’s second) is better than Milliontown :biggrin:
Squ

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1706 on: May 06, 2018, 05:36:04 PM »
It's too bad I'm not playing in your roulette, Elite, because I have a feeling I would get creamed in yours  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1707 on: May 06, 2018, 05:38:04 PM »
I’m not even playing here, but big ouch at East of the Wall getting 4/10. That album is ridiculously good and doesn’t deserve the pummeling it got.

i had zero expectations katt would like it but i also was in last place anyways so whatever  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1708 on: May 06, 2018, 05:38:51 PM »
Fuck yeah, finally a win after so long :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: :2metal: :2metal:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1709 on: May 06, 2018, 05:39:20 PM »
@Parama I was wondering if that's an album you really love and just sent because of where you were in the rankings, or if you were just testing my limits, or genuinely thought I'd like it but I really did not like it unfortunately :(

Congrats Sacul, thanks for the tunes my dude :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1710 on: May 06, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
it's literally my favorite album  :corn

i am getting the impression you would not do well in my upcoming roulette, from the looks of things in this roulette in general  :tup

hell yeah to only getting one "favorite submission" too

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1711 on: May 06, 2018, 05:45:07 PM »

3. Vision Divine - Stream of Consciousness

2004; power metal
sent by Lethean

I had a much longer write-up, so let's try this again. Sending straight power metal was such a risky choice... I ignored this band when I was a kid in favor of other more immediately appealing choices. I'm super jaded on this genre. So when I first listened to this album, I didn't like it at all. Thought it was rote, derivative, boring... but then I came back to it again, and again, and again. Sitting here listening through my good headphones, listening to it again.. this is a gem that I ignored for a very long time. The more I hear this, the more I like it, and Michele Luppi, too. Songs like "Colours Of My World," "La Vita Fugge" (that final note, my god, that's how you end a power metal anthem! HELL yes!), "Shades," "Out Of The Maze"... that super speedy, double bass, ultra catchy power metal, that is what I like in my power metal. I think when they slow it down (even if it's midtempo, it's relatively slow) it's not as interesting, which is consistent with my power metal tastes - speedier and louder is usually better - but when they're good, they're really fucking good. I'm super impressed at how much this grew on me, listening with a good pair of headphones and speakers really brings out the power in the songs. I almost don't want to give it such a high score, and yet... This is EPIC. Luppi ain't no Fabio, but he's DAMN good on this album, and when the band channels their inner Stratovarius ("Shades," "La Vita Fugge" etc.) I can't help but want to sing along and bang my head. This is some really good stuff. This is so much better than what power metal has turned into over the last decade. :) 9.5/10

Favorite tracks: La Vita Fugge; Shades; Out Of The Maze

Just want to say that this album is AMAZING!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: May 06, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
@Parama I was wondering if that's an album you really love and just sent because of where you were in the rankings, or if you were just testing my limits, or genuinely thought I'd like it but I really did not like it unfortunately :(
All of them :neverusethis:

Thanks for having me, it was a blast and I'm glad I finally got a chance to send some artists I never could never get someone to love in a roulette  :metal

I would love to know how you come across such beautiful, unique music like this album.
I personally am a sucker for that kind of music so I've naturally looked much into it, also having friends that also like this stuff helps :P. For Daisuke I'd recommend you the albums Program Music I (similar to this but more electronic) and 88 (only piano, pure bliss).

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1713 on: May 06, 2018, 05:51:29 PM »
Well, now I wish I had sent Milliontown and not changed my mind at the last second...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1714 on: May 06, 2018, 06:15:51 PM »
Also, let me be the first (and probably only one) to say that Experiments in Mass Appeal (Frost*’s second) is better than Milliontown :biggrin:

Not the only one.  I find EIMA to be more consistent.  Kinda wish I sent this earlier - it was this or Dec Burke, and I went with Dec.  That 1.5 extra points would've put my at the top.  Eh, oh well - Anthriel was the one that really killed my chances.

Well run Roulette KTLX.  10/10; would play again.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion