Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 106232 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I cant believe that Radiohead album scored as well as it did.... I'm a little sad it rated higher than either Mew album  :( :( :( :( :( :(

Time to send more Black Metal :jamaritard:

Make no mistake, that Mew album is awesome. Really awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Sent 80 minutes of Noisy LoFi Recorded-In-A-Bathroom-with-a-Potato Black Metal/Drone :vomitard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
yeah radiohead is p. boring most of the time but what can you do etc.  :tup

puppies you should send DWeF

• DTF.org Member
yeah radiohead is p. boring most of the time but what can you do etc.  :tup

puppies you should send DWeF
Their latest is such a good album. Which is why it was album of the year for me... I don't think KTLX would like it though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
brb sending Darkthrone

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
brb sending Darkthrone
Should have sent Sunn O)))
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm familiar with Darkthrone  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow! Just came back from Helloween gig (awesome, but a bit disappointed with the setlist), and decided to check out this thread. Not disappointed with the results at all! :lol

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more with your writeup. This is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. I'm thrilled someone else agrees with me on that point. If you're into watching live DVDs, buy Remember That Night. It has full On an Island album played live (with some instrumental sections extended), it has the second set with a load of Pink Floyd songs, it has Richard Wright playing keys and piano... well, it's just awesome.

Also, fair scores overall. I would've send Love Over Gold by Dire Straits in this round, but turns out they're banned. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on that album when you listen to it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Wow! Just came back from Helloween gig (awesome, but a bit disappointed with the setlist), and decided to check out this thread. Not disappointed with the results at all! :lol

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more with your writeup. This is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. I'm thrilled someone else agrees with me on that point. If you're into watching live DVDs, buy Remember That Night. It has full On an Island album played live (with some instrumental sections extended), it has the second set with a load of Pink Floyd songs, it has Richard Wright playing keys and piano... well, it's just awesome.

Also, fair scores overall. I would've send Love Over Gold by Dire Straits in this round, but turns out they're banned. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on that album when you listen to it.

And let me suggest Live In Gdansk from Gilmour. Stunning live album. Similar to Remember That Night, plays the whole album and a bunch of Floyd with Rick Wright. The solo in Comfortably Numb is mind-blowing.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Both AMSP and On An Island in the top 2? Hell fucking yeah :2metal:

No other Radiohead album is similar to that one tbh, but then none of their records have much to do with each other. I'd recommend you going with In Rainbows, and then tackling their classics Kid A and OK Computer, in that order. Take your time with each and you'll love them :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Many years ago I tried getting into Nightwish. Couldn't do it, just didn't get it. Then Dark Passion Play came out, I fell in love with that, and went back and somehow enjoyed (not all, but a lot of) their earlier stuff. Hopefully that'll happen with Radiohead, because AMSP is really, really god damn good. It's so creative. "Creep" and "Burn the Witch" - it's like listening to two completely different artists.

I'll keep the Gilmour info in mind. I'd love to watch him play. OAI is so good. I have to get a copy of that into my collection pronto...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

No other Radiohead album is similar to that one tbh, but then none of their records have much to do with each other. I'd recommend you going with In Rainbows, and then tackling their classics Kid A and OK Computer, in that order. Take your time with each and you'll love them :tup

No, you will not.

Speaking of "Devil and God", "Radiohead" and "David Gilmour".    I literally have zero beef with Gilmour getting a 10/10 (and yes, you have some homework to do, young man!); that's almost a perfect album in every way, and to this day Gilmour's voice just makes me shiver (in a good way).   But Radiohead?  My god, man, I just don't see it.  I wouldn't give all their albums combined a 10, let alone one.  But it's your rodeo. 

I'll be sending something tomorrow. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

No, you will not.

Speaking of "Devil and God", "Radiohead" and "David Gilmour".    I literally have zero beef with Gilmour getting a 10/10 (and yes, you have some homework to do, young man!); that's almost a perfect album in every way, and to this day Gilmour's voice just makes me shiver (in a good way).   But Radiohead?  My god, man, I just don't see it.  I wouldn't give all their albums combined a 10, let alone one.  But it's your rodeo. 

I'll be sending something tomorrow.

You just take your 9.5 and enjoy it, old man.  :biggrin:

I get it, I know music is subjective, but Sacul asked my opinions on Radiohead before sending that, and I basically told him I didn't really like what I knew of them, which was pretty much their really old stuff. Off the top of my head, I can't recall anything of theirs other than Creep and High and Dry, and this album - and like I said somewhere earlier, it's like two completely different bands. I freaking love it.

Of course if you've heard AMSP then disregard this post  :lol

Offline Lethean

3. Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Emerson, Lake & Palmer

I've only ever known 2 things about ELP: Keith Emerson was a monstrous keyboardist, and Jordan Rudess's version of Tarkus is incredible. So, when I started this, I didn't know what to expect. But holy hell, man, that is some ridiculously good keyboard playing. No wonder Emerson is a legend.
I was pretty sure the legend comment was ELP; looks like I got it right.

8. The Dear Hunter – Act IV: Rebirth In Reprise

This was interesting. It took one spin to tell whether or not I liked this, but it's going to take many more to really absorb it. This is cool. Needs some fat trimmed, but it's cool. Way different from what I expected given the comments about circus music earlier in the thread.
I hope you weren't expecting the entire band to be "circus music" based on my comments.  It was based on one live show, I said it might just not be the setlist for my tastes, and I even said that the first 2 songs were really good.  I think I said carnival music, but either way, it's not exactly accurate, and I'll admit to not being great at describing music, but there were songs that made me expect someone to start yelling "step right up..."  I don't know anything about the band other than now 2 live shows, so there might be a lot that I like about them, or possibly not, but I wasn't trying to describe their whole existence.

10. Solefald – Norrøn livskunst

2010; avant-garde/black metal
sent by Lethean

I knew this would be a troublesome album after looking up the genre, but I gave it three full spins and tried to have an open mind about it. I at least hope you were being truthful about not caring about scores. The language barrier is a bit troublesome since the lyrics lose all meaning to me, and I was hoping the rest of the album would at least follow the style of the first track – unfortunately it doesn't. Sometimes there are cool soft moments or passages with clean vocals, and then the harsh growls/screams come in and completely ruin the mood. There's a vocalist on this album that sounds like a ten year old child or an imp screaming obnoxiously, and that might be even worse than the growls. As a result, Tittentattenteksti is a really irritating piece of music. Eukalyptustreet is by far the best piece of music here, I truly enjoy it... except that it gets heavy in the last two minutes, and then introduces growls at the end, which completely destroys the mood set in the first 5 minutes of the song, especially with that beautiful sax break in the middle. I really wish you had read the Moonsorrow writeup before sending this. I know you wanted me to hear this, but I can't understand why. I'm sorry, I just don't like this kind of music. 6.0/10

Favorite tracks: Song til Stormen; Eukalyptustreet

I wanted you to hear it because I love it, and wanted to share it.  It's also one of the strangest albums in my collection.  But I'm fine with this review - I like it way better than the previous one, and if I were giving you star ratings on reviews, this one would get a higher score.  :)   I disagree about the harsh vocals ruining anything, especially Eukalyptustreet; I think it finishes the song off on a really intense wave.  But I get that you may not agree.  My only "issue" so to speak is... why would you consider the language barrier to be "troublesome?"  I know English is the standard language for rock, metal, and most forms of music, but... I don't have a problem with listening to stuff in other languages.  It's your choice of course, but I'd be happier if the 6/10 score is the same as it would have been if the language was English.

Offline Lethean

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, it would've been a 6/10 regardless. What I'm saying is that lyrics factor into my enjoyment of an album and since I'm already turned off by the rest of the music, being in the dark on the lyrics really doesn't help my enjoyment of the album. It's just one of those things; if I like a song enough on a fundamental level, foreign languages don't keep me from playing a track. There's a ton of Rhapsody in Latin and Italian, and I have no shortage of metal albums in my collection that are sung in or include Spanish, Faroese, Russian, Portuguese, French, German, and Finnish languages.

Edit 1: I don't know; I straight up disliked the album on a fundamental level, so not knowing the words just hurt it more.

Edit 2: Also I just seriously do not like growls. The new Kamelot uses them for 'effect' in a few spots and it just makes me mad.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
haha, listening to kamelot in 2018

Offline Lethean

Well, it would've been a 6/10 regardless.
Glad to hear it.  And I didn't expect the album to rank higher, I'm fact I thought it might get an even lower score.

What I'm saying is that lyrics factor into my enjoyment of an album and since I'm already turned off by the rest of the music, being in the dark on the lyrics really doesn't help my enjoyment of the album. It's just one of those things; if I like a song enough on a fundamental level, foreign languages don't keep me from playing a track. There's a ton of Rhapsody in Latin and Italian, and I have no shortage of metal albums in my collection that are sung in or include Spanish, Faroese, Russian, Portuguese, French, German, and Finnish languages.
Me too, but add some and take out some.  Sometimes I do like the way some languages sound when sung more than others.  I've found for some reason that I like the sound of Norwegian a lot. 

Edit 1: I don't know; I straight up disliked the album on a fundamental level, so not knowing the words just hurt it more.

Edit 2: Also I just seriously do not like growls. The new Kamelot uses them for 'effect' in a few spots and it just makes me mad.

I doubt whatever I send next will have harsh vocals - I just don't have much of it myself.  There might be something with a line or two that I've forgotten about, but that's about it.  But I also doubt I have anything to send you that you'd call sugary. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
You need more saccharine metal and I promise to help fill that hole in your collection  :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
katt i hope you join my upcoming roulette and send me a metal album i truly, deeply despise

Offline Lethean

You need more saccharine metal and I promise to help fill that hole in your collection  :biggrin:

I wasn't really talking about metal - I mean I guess there is sugary metal depending on what you mean, but the albums you've described that way in this roulette aren't metal, I don't think.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
katt i hope you join my upcoming roulette and send me a metal album i truly, deeply despise

I will and I guarantee you'll think less of me as a person when you hear them :neverusethis:

I wasn't really talking about metal - I mean I guess there is sugary metal depending on what you mean, but the albums you've described that way in this roulette aren't metal, I don't think.

Good. I have enough metal. :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
yeah tbh i'm done sending metal lol i don't have any metal you'd like
except i'm still sending east of the wall in the last round

Offline Lethean

I will and I guarantee you'll think less of me as a person when you hear them :neverusethis:

Good. I have enough metal. :)
. That may be, but that's still what you're getting from me. If you didn't want metal, you definitely invited the wrong person into your roulette.:)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
It is a lengthy album indeed! But there's no song I dislike, so I personally don't mind too much.

and if there's a concept here, I'm pretty oblivious to it.
There's a whole story running trough all the Act albums, it's pretty good and really gives some extra depth to the lyrics/songs.
https://www.lakeandtheriver.com/index.php?showtopic=194
Here's a pretty good song-by-song write up if you're interested

non-famous eras of Pink Floyd are classic artists I'd like to explore
Does this mean that early Pink Floyd is not banned? If so you're totally getting The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, easily the best thing Pink Floyd has ever done imho.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thanks home! I'll check that out. I really do like that album, and I'll definitely be checking out The Dear Hunter after the roulette. I'm really curious about The Color Spectrum EPs now.

Pink Floyd is banned in full. I've just heard enough to know that if I do want to explore them, I kind of know where I want to go. I don't like Ummagumma or Atom Heart Mother or Echoes (other than Echoes the song) at all. I also don't think Wish You Were Here, Animals, or The Wall are very good or interesting, so I really only enjoy Dark Side. The only era I'm really curious about these days is the stuff after The Wall, but I'll do it outside of the roulette.

I forgot I put them in the tastes section, but yeah, stay away from the Floyd please  :biggrin:

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks home! I'll check that out. I really do like that album, and I'll definitely be checking out The Dear Hunter after the roulette. I'm really curious about The Color Spectrum EPs now.

Pink Floyd is banned in full. I've just heard enough to know that if I do want to explore them, I kind of know where I want to go. I don't like Ummagumma or Atom Heart Mother or Echoes (other than Echoes the song) at all. I also don't think Wish You Were Here, Animals, or The Wall are very good or interesting, so I really only enjoy Dark Side. The only era I'm really curious about these days is the stuff after The Wall, but I'll do it outside of the roulette.

I forgot I put them in the tastes section, but yeah, stay away from the Floyd please  :biggrin:

It's called Meddle. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :facepalm: I just woke up. Noob mistake!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think you'd like The Division Bell, it's a very nice album and it has one of their best songs, High Hopes.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Do check out The Piper At The Gates of Dawn sometime tho. It's mostly written by Syd Barrett, and quite different from anything after. (besides some songs on Saucerful) I really love the fairytell like lyrics and the psychedelic pop style on it
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'll keep that in mind. Speaking of Floyd, has anyone seen the tribute band Think Floyd? Saw 'em in the Ozarks twice. Insanely good shows.

• DTF.org Member
I think you'd like The Division Bell, it's a very nice album and it has one of their best songs, High Hopes.
THIS! ^ :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid