Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 106371 times)

Offline Lethean

I'm not really good about giving music a numbered ranking. There's a lot of albums or songs that I would give a 10 to because I love them.  I might even say I like song a better than song b but still consider them both a "10" in my head, and then if I were going to compare them to each other I suppose I'd give one a slightly lower score.

All of Riverside's albums are pretty much 10s in my head, even though I might like some better than others and if they had to go up against, say, Six Degrees, Six Degrees would "win." But, I still don't want the Riverside albums to be anything other than exactly what they are.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm still debating if I want to give a 10/10 this round. 10/10 is 'perfect' in my mind and there are very few albums that reach that mark, and it's usually after a long period of listening. That said, Mystery and IQ from the first round are approaching 10/10 status for me, the only albums of the roulette to do that, so I'm going to chew on it. And I'm trying to figure out what the low ones will get.

Dread it, run from it... the ratings still arrive. Tomorrow.

:jamaritard:

Regardless of what happens in the rest of the roulette, I'm glad I was able to participate just because of that. Always good to introduce people to some awesome bands.

Also, I'm seeing Helloween tomorrow, so I'll probably miss the results. I guess I'll be able to send my next entry at Monday as usual.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Evermind if you have an idea of what you wanna send, you can send it now if you'd like. I'm also thankful for hearing every single album sent each round by all of you. Also have a blast at Helloween. I have my tix for a couple days after ProgPower and I'm gonna be dead but that will be the show of the year.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm not really good about giving music a numbered ranking. There's a lot of albums or songs that I would give a 10 to because I love them.  I might even say I like song a better than song b but still consider them both a "10" in my head, and then if I were going to compare them to each other I suppose I'd give one a slightly lower score.

All of Riverside's albums are pretty much 10s in my head, even though I might like some better than others and if they had to go up against, say, Six Degrees, Six Degrees would "win." But, I still don't want the Riverside albums to be anything other than exactly what they are.

I wish Riverside was like ADHD all the time. SLS is too 'life sucks and everything hurts' for me lyrically (musically it's good), and SONGS was kind of boring. However I'm interested in the last album they released because it sounds totally my kind of thing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Evermind if you have an idea of what you wanna send, you can send it now if you'd like. I'm also thankful for hearing every single album sent each round by all of you. Also have a blast at Helloween. I have my tix for a couple days after ProgPower and I'm gonna be dead but that will be the show of the year.

Yeah sure, now that I know that Dire Straits are banned, I've got another prog rock album coming for you. Will send in a few hours then.

I wish Riverside was like ADHD all the time. SLS is too 'life sucks and everything hurts' for me lyrically (musically it's good), and SONGS was kind of boring. However I'm interested in the last album they released because it sounds totally my kind of thing.

Love, Fear and the Time Machine is probably my favourite Riverside. Definitely check it out.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I wish Riverside was like ADHD all the time
lol 100% same

Offline Lethean

I wouldn't mind another album like ADHD because it is awesome and they don't have anything else that heavy. However, I'm glad they're not all like that because they're all incredible.  Second Life Syndrome is just perfect.  So is SONGS, and by the time it gets to the end of Escalator Shrine after the full ride with the album - intense.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey, I get it. I'm that way with bands I like but nobody else seems to  :lol Your chance for merciless retribution is fast approaching.

Offline Lethean

There's no need for it.  You'll hear more Riverside somehow, someday, and you'll eventually come around.  It's just a matter of when.  Maybe it'll be at a live show if (hopefully when) they come back to tour the states.  (That's going to be a hard show for me though, without Piotr.)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
In all seriousness, I don't think so.  :lol Like I said, they're just too mopey for me to fall in love with them like that. If they were more along the lines of ADHD I could see it, but I like happiness in (most) of my metal, or at least throughout the discography. Riverside sounds like Steven Wilson but even MORE depressed. :)

EDIT: That's meant to be a hint to what to send for the rest of the roulete ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:02:14 AM by Kattoelox »

Offline Lethean

I don't think they're that much like Steven Wilson. But I'm not a big SW fan.  There are similarities, but to me Riverside's music, even their softer stuff, is way more intense and dynamic.  Also, Riverside has those awesome bass lines.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I really want to see how Gilmour scores now, because the music is kind of sad and longing, but it's not depressing, it's rather serene and calming and beautiful and uplifting in its message I guess. We'll see.

Also, sent for Round 4.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
brand new is def. pretty depressing

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I already told Evermind this but btw, I love big-ass writeups. I really enjoy reading your thoughts on submissions when you send them - lets me know how you feel about it, what you enjoy about it, what your favorite songs are, etc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
okay well i'm lazy i'll send you a big one for my last submission for sure though
i have a review of the devil and god on RYM too, so  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
okay well i'm lazy i'll send you a big one for my last submission for sure though
i have a review of the devil and god on RYM too, so  :lol

I tend to send my review from Top 50 thread (if the album is from my Top 50) and a big-ass writeup along with it, how's that. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i sent this
sorry that you're wrong  :loser:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2YnqAuFmC2r8JeQVOIozTy
Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me

if I can't destroy you sonically I guess I'll just have to destroy you emotionally

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
That's actually one of the albums I have to check out. I liked Handcuffs a lot.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
limousine is the best them imo

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Riverside....

In all seriousness, I don't think so.  :lol Like I said, they're just too mopey for me to fall in love with them like that.

Pretty much.  I've given them many - MANY - tries, but just can't click with them.  Don't fret if they (or any band really) don't click with you.

I already told Evermind this but btw, I love big-ass writeups. I really enjoy reading your thoughts on submissions when you send them - lets me know how you feel about it, what you enjoy about it, what your favorite songs are, etc.

And yet, Old Man and the Spirit only got 7.5 - a solid 2.5 points less than it deserved.   :lol

Except in a few instances, I prefer to just give a couple of sentences - I want the music to do the influencing, not my opinion of it. If ya gotta give a long-assed writeup just to 'sell' the tune/album...  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Old Man and the Spirit might actually age well. It's really hard to digest and absorb all the nuances and little bits of albums so complex as those when you have 9 others to pay equal attention to. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Old Man and the Spirit might actually age well. It's really hard to digest and absorb all the nuances and little bits of albums so complex as those when you have 9 others to pay equal attention to. :)

:tup :tup
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
TYS and Caligula's Horse were both like that for me as well, liked them on first few listens but they only got better the more i listened

This round and the previous round were way more immediate ones for me though  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Dude, that Thank You Scientist album is so good. Surprised how much that has stuck on my brain the last few weeks.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
yeah it does that  :corn
their EP and their second album are both great too, i like the first album slightly more but they're all good really

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Got some unexpected errands to take care of today so results will be a bit later. Expect them this afternoon/evening.  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, we're halfway through this, and this is the strongest round yet. There are only two albums I don't care for, and we have our first 10/10 – two of them, actually – and all the others are very good. So don't think much of it if you came in #7 or #8 this round, because there was huge competition. Without further ado...

1. David Gilmour – On An Island

2006; progressive/art rock
sent by Evermind

This is all of my favorite things about Pink Floyd (what I know of their discography) with a sprinkle of that certain je na sais quoi that only David Gilmour's songwriting has. To me, beautiful music doesn't discriminate – it can apply to any genre, emotion, tempo, etc. - but this is the most gorgeous album of the roulette. Even the two songs that remotely approach 'rocking' status are so doped up on the Floydian vibes that they don't break the flow of the album, and actually reinforce it because the rest is so laid back. The title might have a part in this but this album makes me feel like I'm on laying on a beach at night. The Blue could be my favorite song of the roulette so far – the best music, for me, hits me emotionally, and that one hits hard. Absolutely gorgeous. Thank you very much for introducing me to this album! 10/10

Favorite tracks: The Blue; Red Sky at Night; Then I Close My Eyes

2. Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool

2016; art rock
sent by Sacul

Some bands just never clicked with me until I heard one specific album that flipped a switch and allowed me to go back and appreciate the works I once dismissed. This one might have done the trick for me and Radiohead. I'm not sure what I expected with this one, but I certainly did not expect this. This is a real work of art, and I was entranced from the start. Pulsing synths all over the place, haunting vocals and memorable melodies, this is superb and easily my favorite submission of yours yet. When I think Radiohead, I think of Creep, I think of High and Dry – but this album is staying in my rotation and I'll definitely be buying a copy. It's so loaded with restrained emotion, yet it's fragile, as if the songs are about to buckle under the weight. I have to mention Ful Stop – this is insane. The constant drone of the synths over the simple drum beat, it very slowly grows and grows with some hypnotic vocals, what a killer track.  It is almost impossible for me to pick favorite tracks from this, even after five spins. Risky submission that paid off big time. Huge thanks for this, Sacul. 10/10

Favorite tracks: Burn The Witch; Ful Stop; Identikit

3. Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Emerson, Lake & Palmer

1970; progressive rock
sent by Stadler

I've only ever known 2 things about ELP: Keith Emerson was a monstrous keyboardist, and Jordan Rudess's version of Tarkus is incredible. So, when I started this, I didn't know what to expect. But holy hell, man, that is some ridiculously good keyboard playing. No wonder Emerson is a legend. The opening is a tease, though - The Barbarian is just an onslaught of Hammond and drumming madness, and didn't prepare me at all for all the piano to come. I love that the keyboards, and often piano, are the focal point of this album. I can't recall a single thing about the guitars, but the piano? Unreal. My piano professor in college was a huge prog rock fan and loved ELP, and I totally get why. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the album is fantastic with all the synth action, but it's the piano playing that really took me by surprise and takes this to another level. 48 years old and yet I don't think I've ever heard an album quite like this, it's just beautiful. Huge thanks for introducing me to this. 9.5/10

Favorite tracks: Take a Pebble; Knife-Edge; The Three Fates

4. Mew – And The Glass Handed Kites

2005; progressive rock
sent by Puppies_On_Acid

First, I want to apologize for beating up on Moonsorrow so badly. I feel like I was harsher than I needed to be, but this is the kind of music I expected to hear after Sieges Even. It's poppy, it's proggy, it's pretty. This is so cool. It's a prog rock album, but it's like it was dipped in a layer of sugary, shimmery synth pads and bells, with a sprinkling of gorgeous vocals. The end of Chinaberry Tree is like snuggling with warm sheets fresh out of the dryer. I had to stop what I was doing the first time I heard The Zookeeper's Boy just to focus on that enchanting hook. Almost every song catches my attention in these ways. I like vocalists with character, who stand apart from the crowd, and this guy is what I'm looking for. He has a lovely voice; I dig higher pitched male singers. This album gets better each time I play it. Sometimes the seamless transitions between songs annoys me, but I like the way they're done on this album. Now I know why everyone seemed to go gaga for this back in the day at MP's forum. Great comeback, Puppies! 9.5/10

Favorite tracks: Special; The Zookeeper's Boy; Louise Louisa

5. Mew – Frengers

2003; progressive rock
sent by Tomislav95

Most of what I wrote about And The Glass Handed Kites can be said about Frengers. It's happy, it's poppy, it's fun, it's pretty. I have to say, I am really digging the hell out of this band. I enjoy how as this roulette goes on, most everyone is hitting closer and closer to what I am looking for. This might not be as saccharine as ATGHK, but it's still full of sugar, spice, and everything nice. The singer sounds like Silversun Pickups at times. Believe it or not I wish there were even more synths on this and less guitar, but there are moments where the guitar does so little but says so much, like the start of Her Voice Is Beyond The Years. This band is like waking up on a sunny, carefree Saturday. Consider me a fan. 9.0/10

Favorite tracks: 156; Snow Brigade; Her Voice Is Beyond The Years

6. Frank Turner – England Keep My Bones

2011; folk rock
sent by ariich

It's nice to have a more down to earth, easily digestable album once in a while. This is solid rock, with some of the better lyrics of this round. I don't think his voice stands out a lot, but it works well with the music and he has strong hooks. This one helped work go by pretty fast this week, lots of nice speedy rock songs without being way too heavy, and lots of softer stuff in between. Almost all the songs have this nice singalong-at-the-bar type vibe, especially Glory Halleljuah which really sticks on the brain. Sometimes I think there are too many songs, but I don't want to skip any when I play it. I want to hear more from Mr. Turner – great songwriting, lots of energy and heart, and even though I don't always know if it's the proper term, this is just a solid folk rock album I can put on and not have to worry about skipping tracks. 8.5/10

Favorite tracks: Rivers; Nights Become Days; Glory Hallelujah

7. Dimension Act – Manifestation of Progress

2012; progressive metal
sent by jingle.boy

Dude, this is good! It's got a lot of what I enjoy about progressive-power metal condensed into one criminally unheard of album. The keyboard playing caters to my prog metal tastes and they have a strong sense of melody and atmosphere which is important to me. I enjoy the synths sharing almost as much of the spotlight as the guitars, if not more.  I really don't have much to say about this because it doesn't bring a whole lot that's new to the table, it just does it right, and sometimes that's all I want to hear, a new band putting their spin on a familiar style and just kicking ass at it. This has been a very fun album for me at the gym, so it'll remain in rotation for a while. 8.5/10

Favorite tracks: Industrial Evilution; Pre-Spective; Counterparts

8. The Dear Hunter – Act IV: Rebirth In Reprise

2015; progressive rock
sent by home

This was interesting. It took one spin to tell whether or not I liked this, but it's going to take many more to really absorb it. This is cool. Needs some fat trimmed, but it's cool. Way different from what I expected given the comments about circus music earlier in the thread. This is artsy, but still has memorable hooks and nice melodies, even if the vocalist doesn't stand out much, and some great playing from everyone in the band. Waves has an awesome epic vibe, and A Night On The Town has a ton of cool stuff going on but never too much. The biggest problem is that it just goes on too long, and I think would be just as good if not better if they cut out a few songs, because while there are no bad songs, some of them don't seem to do enough to warrant inclusion, and if there's a concept here, I'm pretty oblivious to it. Still, I'm really curious to hear more albums from this group. Cool album. 8.0/10

Favorite tracks: Waves; The Bitter Suite IV and V; Wait

9. Brand New – The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me

2006; alternative rock
sent by Parama

When I hear an album that doesn't click (but neither impresses nor disappoints me) I'll end up giving it more listens than the others. I went through this one five times, and I still struggle with this. I'm surprised that the Wikipedia entry talks about how influential and important it is to alt rock/emo music, but I just don't understand why. I'm not particularly fond of the vocalist, the lyrics aren't interesting, and I just can't find very many interesting musical passages. I do like the hook in Jesus Christ and the drums in Archers, but it's not enough to make me come back for more. My favorite song is Untitled because there are no vocals and it's chill. Overall, this isn't bad, it's just boring. I'm not terribly interested in this style of music. 6.5/10

Favorite tracks: Jesus Christ; Untitled; Archers

10. Solefald – Norrøn livskunst

2010; avant-garde/black metal
sent by Lethean

I knew this would be a troublesome album after looking up the genre, but I gave it three full spins and tried to have an open mind about it. I at least hope you were being truthful about not caring about scores. The language barrier is a bit troublesome since the lyrics lose all meaning to me, and I was hoping the rest of the album would at least follow the style of the first track – unfortunately it doesn't. Sometimes there are cool soft moments or passages with clean vocals, and then the harsh growls/screams come in and completely ruin the mood. There's a vocalist on this album that sounds like a ten year old child or an imp screaming obnoxiously, and that might be even worse than the growls. As a result, Tittentattenteksti is a really irritating piece of music. Eukalyptustreet is by far the best piece of music here, I truly enjoy it... except that it gets heavy in the last two minutes, and then introduces growls at the end, which completely destroys the mood set in the first 5 minutes of the song, especially with that beautiful sax break in the middle. I really wish you had read the Moonsorrow writeup before sending this. I know you wanted me to hear this, but I can't understand why. I'm sorry, I just don't like this kind of music. 6.0/10

Favorite tracks: Song til Stormen; Eukalyptustreet

Scores

1. jingle.boy – 36.0
2. Stadler – 35.5
3. Evermind – 35.5
4. Sacul – 35.5
5. ariich – 34.0
6. home – 33.5
7. Tomislav95 – 33.0
8. Parama – 31.5
9. Lethean – 29.5
10. Puppies_On_Acid – 29.0

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Atta boy Ruslan.   :tup  Although, it's getting crowded at the top.  And damn.... 8.5 and I'm still 7th!!!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Yeah, basically everyone else in this roulette who knows brand new will back me up on this one so irdc if you wanna die on that hill  :tup

anyways gonna send some crap brb

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
:( Devil and God, guess it's just not for everyone. For me, the lyrics in Limousine are among the best I know. I love when somehow a lyricist can address such a traumatic event without being too literal. That song is absolutely devastating, became one of my all-time favourite songs veery quickly. But again, understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I think you'll like King of Limbs by Radiohead a lot after reading that write-up. It's not one of the fan favourites, but most of the reasons I like the album are things you also addressed in the write-up, especially the album opener Bloom.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
*hits the reverb switch* I have spoken!  :hat

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I think you'll like King of Limbs by Radiohead a lot after reading that write-up. It's not one of the fan favourites, but most of the reasons I like the album are things you also addressed in the write-up, especially the album opener Bloom.

King of Limbs doesn't compare to AMSP at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ok sent another album like half of the roulette crowd loves hoping to get at most a 4.5/10 this time

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I cant believe that Radiohead album scored as well as it did.... I'm a little sad it rated higher than either Mew album  :( :( :( :( :( :(

Time to send more Black Metal :jamaritard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar