Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 106100 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
dangit, TTtTaRE is better than In Contact by miles :getoffmylawn:
anyways did not expect Tool to do so poorly but then again after how Soen underperformed it shouldn't be as much of a surprise

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Ok, my favorite album made the cut, you don't get my eternal hatred.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Cha-ching.  :fistpump:

The more I scrolled down to find Evership, the more worried I got... a lot of high scores this round.  And don't sweat it - I don't 'get' Tool either.  :dunno:

Round 2 on the way.

Ouch.  :facepalm:
Time to continue my downward spiral with my next pick.  :biggrin:

Sucks to come in last, doesn't it.   ;) :D
I had a feeling.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Hell yeah, Illinoise is amazing  :metal . But yeah, his music is very elaborate and complex in general, but so charming and accessible, some times quirky, others heartfelt. Haven't explored his full discography, but his work previous to this album is similar. However, from the following one, Age of ADZ, he went in a very different direction, with electronics, choirs, orchestras, and more - pure maximalism. Only to make a very minimalist, soul-shattering album in 2015 about the death of his mother. And they're all excellent.

Offline Tomislav95

I can't say I did not expect that. But it's fine, it's a bit weird music, just thought you might enjoy it more.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
dangit, TTtTaRE is better than In Contact by miles :getoffmylawn:
anyways did not expect Tool to do so poorly but then again after how Soen underperformed it shouldn't be as much of a surprise

Hey, that one is still awesome, but In Contact is just a smoother album  :biggrin: And yeah. I definitely hear lots of similarities between Soen and Tool.

Ok, my favorite album made the cut, you don't get my eternal hatred.

Which is that?  :lol

I had a feeling.

I promise you, it has nothing to do with your roulette! If you knew me personally, you probably would've had more insight into how I feel about Tool. I thought about banning them, but I honestly hadn't sat down and listened to any of their albums except 10k Days, and that was many years ago, so I thought it was only fair to give them an honest, focused listen.

Hell yeah, Illinoise is amazing  :metal . But yeah, his music is very elaborate and complex in general, but so charming and accessible, some times quirky, others heartfelt. Haven't explored his full discography, but his work previous to this album is similar. However, from the following one, Age of ADZ, he went in a very different direction, with electronics, choirs, orchestras, and more - pure maximalism. Only to make a very minimalist, soul-shattering album in 2015 about the death of his mother. And they're all excellent.

I'd be very interested in hearing the 2015 album next as opposed to Age of ADZ, it seems. But I'm definitely going to spend some time with Illinoise after the roulette ends. Lots left to soak in. Metropolis is the highlight of the album I think, it's just so solidly focused on that beautiful melody.

I can't say I did not expect that. But it's fine, it's a bit weird music, just thought you might enjoy it more.

I can't exaggerate enough: the non-metal moments, the more artsy ones, really lifted that album high. If we took out the heavier moments and the growls, man, you'd have a solid winner there. Lots of bands I can think of that have two sides to their music, but only one really speaks to me, this is definitely one of them.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sure, just don't forget the tissues :P

Sent happycore.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Ooooh boiiiiiiiii, finally another person on DTFwho loves Sleep Party People!  ;D

Be sure to check out We Were Drifting On A Sad Song and Lingering out some time too, I think you'll dig them as well
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. Round 1 hangman!
« Reply #463 on: March 24, 2018, 11:12:17 AM »
Contaminate Me ruins the whole experience and should be removed from the album. I can't stand growls like this, and the last 3 minutes literally sound like someone dying, and are a waste of space on the record. That said, this is a marvelous record outside of Contaminate Me (and Chronic's chorus).
You better be glad we are not on the TrainofNaughtForums, cause man, this would've got you banned so hard :bosk1:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
So glad you liked In Contact, I thought you would! Seriously, your write-up (for that and for the other CH album) really articulates my own thoughts nicely, you rate the two albums the same as me, and your favourite In Contact tracks are the same as mine.

HIGH FIVE

o/

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
\o my friend, that was an excellent choice.

Train, it's a testament to how good the rest of the album is that it still scored a 9. But damn, the last track is muy mal. No bueno. Mucho bado.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Kattoelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. Round 1 hangman!
« Reply #466 on: March 24, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
Contaminate Me ruins the whole experience and should be removed from the album. I can't stand growls like this, and the last 3 minutes literally sound like someone dying, and are a waste of space on the record. That said, this is a marvelous record outside of Contaminate Me (and Chronic's chorus).
You better be glad we are not on the TrainofNaughtForums, cause man, this would've got you banned so hard :bosk1:
as someone who doesn't mind growls at all, i agree with katt here 100% that the entire ending of Contaminate Me blows

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I feel like I should clarify this even though it's under my tastes: you take your chances when you send growls. If they're the predominant vocals on the album you should probably not send it, because I'm just not into growls these days. When used occasionally, they can work, and sometimes even then it doesn't (see Leprous - Coal - Contaminate Me for an example). Growls/screams are dangerous territory for me these days. Death/black metal... you're really fishing for low scores if you go that route.

Agalloch is one major exception but if you try to find something similar it may not work well. I don't even like half of Agalloch's albums, but Ashes... is top 5 all time for me from any genre. The growls are more like a whisper on that album and the production sets it miles ahead of all their other albums, and there's none of the double bass, super heavy blackened metal, like on Marrow of the Spirit or Serpent/Sphere.

Offline Tomislav95

... Ashes... is top 5 all time for me from any genre...
Word, man :hefdaddy :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
... Ashes... is top 5 all time for me from any genre...
Word, man :hefdaddy :metal

Every second of it  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ashes is like, the black metal album that basically everyone likes at least somewhat
i don't really love it myself but it's, y'know, pretty good

• DTF.org Member
I feel like I should clarify this even though it's under my tastes: you take your chances when you send growls. If they're the predominant vocals on the album you should probably not send it, because I'm just not into growls these days. When used occasionally, they can work, and sometimes even then it doesn't (see Leprous - Coal - Contaminate Me for an example). Growls/screams are dangerous territory for me these days. Death/black metal... you're really fishing for low scores if you go that route.

Agalloch is one major exception but if you try to find something similar it may not work well. I don't even like half of Agalloch's albums, but Ashes... is top 5 all time for me from any genre. The growls are more like a whisper on that album and the production sets it miles ahead of all their other albums, and there's none of the double bass, super heavy blackened metal, like on Marrow of the Spirit or Serpent/Sphere.
Seems I have taken my life in to my own hands with the album I just sent.  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
the album i sent has like, the very occasional growl but it's really just used to accentuate the most intense parts so i'll probably be good  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Seems I have taken my life in to my own hands with the album I just sent.  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal  :corn

I even gave you the chance to change your submission and you stuck with it! You must have put your hand on the stove a lot as a kid.  :rollin

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i've got a death metal album that i'm saving for a future round, which should be a really fun round  :corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I sent something relaxing and a bit of a big gap in his collection, and will do so next round :corn :corn :corn

Offline Lethean

Glad you enjoyed Coal so much. Before you dig into the next round, I'd be curious to hear what you think if you listened to the bonus track - Bury.

I like Contaminate Me, but I get why someone wouldn't.  To me, it's very artistic and even though I myself generally do not like growls it works for me on that track.  Relieved you like Einar's clean vocals so much, because if you didn't the album wouldn't have fared well.

I definitely recommend you check out both In Malina and The Congregation. TC has few harsh vocals and Malina has none.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad you enjoyed Coal so much. Before you dig into the next round, I'd be curious to hear what you think if you listened to the bonus track - Bury.

I like Contaminate Me, but I get why someone wouldn't.  To me, it's very artistic and even though I myself generally do not like growls it works for me on that track.  Relieved you like Einar's clean vocals so much, because if you didn't the album wouldn't have fared well.

I definitely recommend you check out both In Malina and The Congregation. TC has few harsh vocals and Malina has none.

I'll be honest, while I liked Bilateral it wasn't enough for me to drop what I was doing and check their other stuff out. Coal however sealed the deal, I'm digging into them big time at the end of this. Einar's voice is fantastic clean, I love the quality of the higher shrieks in Foe, as well as the 'ah ah ah' part. It goes so well with the dissonant, tense nature of the music and the lyrics. It's horrifying. I'm very interested in Malina. Haven't heard Bury yet, but I'll look it up tonight.

Gonna start round 2 listening tomorrow, already got half the submissions, neato.

Offline Lethean

I'll be honest, while I liked Bilateral it wasn't enough for me to drop what I was doing and check their other stuff out. Coal however sealed the deal, I'm digging into them big time at the end of this. Einar's voice is fantastic clean, I love the quality of the higher shrieks in Foe, as well as the 'ah ah ah' part. It goes so well with the dissonant, tense nature of the music and the lyrics. It's horrifying. I'm very interested in Malina. Haven't heard Bury yet, but I'll look it up tonight.

Gonna start round 2 listening tomorrow, already got half the submissions, neato.

They opened their live set on the Coal tour with Foe.  That was a bold choice imo - a friend of mine was totally sold from that moment on.  Whereas at ProgPower, some people who were unfamiliar with them left at the end of that song. :)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, shit, to be honest, I either expected my album to get like 5/10 or to win the round. 7.5/10 is alright I guess, but I secretly hoped for more.

Still, not out of the competition yet. Will send something in 48 hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

Sent. No growls this time :loser:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I feel like I should clarify this even though it's under my tastes: you take your chances when you send growls.

No worries here pal.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Round 2 sent!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, shit, to be honest, I either expected my album to get like 5/10 or to win the round. 7.5/10 is alright I guess, but I secretly hoped for more.

Still, not out of the competition yet. Will send something in 48 hours.

:lol Honestly it'll probably get a higher rating in my mind over time. Something that epic doesn't usually strike me as a 10/10 right away. Still, loads of great moments on that album, I just wish they were all as kickass as Triumph of Irreality  :metal

8/10 submissions already, very nice, got some cool stuff this round.

EDIT: I think Stadler's the only one who hasn't spoken up on his results. I want to hear his thoughts :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:16:29 AM by Kattoelox »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just need submissions from home and Stadler and we're off!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Can't wait to get my 9.5/10  :metal

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
probably a 5.9/10  :loser:

• DTF.org Member
probably a 5.9/10  :loser:
Nah, that's what I'm getting for round 2.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i'm getting a 0/10

• DTF.org Member
i'm getting a 0/10
You are having delusions of grandeur...
aka Puppies_On_Acid