Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 104633 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Apparently Sieges Even had the Holzwarth brothers involved with them. I should have known that given my raging hard-on for Rhapsody and Blind Guardian. D'oh.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Apparently Sieges Even had the Holzwarth brothers involved with them. I should have known that given my raging hard-on for Rhapsody and Blind Guardian. D'oh.
Yeah, I was going to mention that in the PM I sent you, but I knew you would figure it out eventually. They are one of my favorite bassist and drummer combos.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I've overplayed those 2 Sieges Even albums from the 2000's.  Their amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lethean

About the vocals - first, being compared to Jonas Renkse is an incredible compliment as far as I'm concerned.  :) I know you didn't mean it that way, but it is. Aside from that, I do think it's likely his voice will grow on you.  It worked that way for me, big time.  I thought they were just kinda there, and at the time was also looking for something heavier, but something kept drawing me back to that album. At some point I came to really like his voice and I think it's a perfect fit for the music. 

I think Jonas works well for Katatonia, but I really don't enjoy when artists seem to channel his vibe and style, even unintentionally. It just sounds like the guy doesn't want to be there. I'll relate it to the last Sonata Arctica album, which, although a completely different style, has Tony Kakko just kind of murmuring his way through each song like he's bored and tired and really couldn't care less. I crave energetic vocals. "Thank You Scientist" really turned me around on the guy's voice in that aspect: at first I couldn't stand him, but the more I listened and heard his powerful singing and inventive melodies, I dug it.

I didn't really listen to the last Sonata album that much; would have to go back to it to really comment on the vocals.  But Mariusz isn't bored or uninterested or wanting to be somewhere else - he's the main song writer in the band, and I think the emotion he puts into really comes through.  That being said, it took me a bit to get to that point; you hypothesized that it might take some time to grow on you as well, and I think that's quite likely.  I also don't really think he sounds much like Jonas.  I put him more in a category of singing - that are definitely less energetic - like maybe Steven Wilson, Peter Gabriel, one of the Pink Floyd singers, etc.  I don't think they all sound like each other, but they fit in a grouping in my head.  Whereas Jonas Renkse - I'd be closer to putting him in that category a more "energetic" category, but really I think of him off on his own, because his delivery to me is really different.  Others may (and probably do) disagree with that.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Well shit, I expected better than that for one of my top #10 albums of all time  :lol

Good luck to everyone who's still in this thing and I'll be following along.

I would've been interested to know where I would've ranked if I'd sent Coheed and Cambria's best album, instead of just the best one that was under 60 minutes. I know Coheed are kind of an all or nothing sort of band but I really thought this would be a shoe in.

I can't argue with some of the albums sent in this round though, some great stuff (Riverside, TYS, FtM and Soen).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
The competition was fierce for round 1. I really don't know how I hadn't heard of most of these groups before. Just that first round was super eye opening. For what it's worth luke, I played a bit of that Coheed album at the gym earlier today and it was pretty good for that sort of situation. Even the Ostura album has stuff I like about it, and I would like to own that too because it's high quality music with cool art (plus I've already heard it several times, so I really should buy it).

I have 4 submissions so far, a couple I'm surprised weren't sent at the start.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Well shit, I expected better than that for one of my top #10 albums of all time  :lol

I would've been interested to know where I would've ranked if I'd sent Coheed and Cambria's best album, instead of just the best one that was under 60 minutes. I know Coheed are kind of an all or nothing sort of band but I really thought this would be a shoe in.

I can't argue with some of the albums sent in this round though, some great stuff (Riverside, TYS, FtM and Soen).
honestly i think this (or maybe one of the afterman albums) would've been the best picks for katt, just that the vocals wouldn't ever be his thing  :lol

and i was surprised my pick for round 1 wasn't sent last round like i said, it's a fairly popular DTF band

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
There's an example of my inconsistency at work. I like the guy in Thank You Scientist but not Coheed, and I think Axl Rose and Randy Newman have wonderful voices.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
to be fair, in 15 years coheed has never produced a hook as good as feed the horses has

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Dunno what to send tbh, prob some trip-hop or electronic shit :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
portishead - dummy

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm tempted but it will probably bore him, that record is an acquired fine taste  :hat

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Party on, Garth.  :hefdaddy

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
There's an example of my inconsistency at work. I like the guy in Thank You Scientist but not Coheed, and I think Axl Rose and Randy Newman have wonderful voices.  :lol

Yea, I'm kinda surprised. When I first discovered DTF I started looking for proggy bands that were similar to C&C, the two names that I kept coming across were Thank You, Scientist and The Dear Hunter (two of my top DTF discoveries). I know TYS and C&C don't have the exact same vocal style but there are similarities, which is partly why I was drawn to them. Hell, they're even signed to Claudio's record label.

Can't win them all (or any in my case  :lol )

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

honestly i think this (or maybe one of the afterman albums) would've been the best picks for katt, just that the vocals wouldn't ever be his thing  :lol

and i was surprised my pick for round 1 wasn't sent last round like i said, it's a fairly popular DTF band
If I were to pick a Coheed album it would be In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
yeah, that's my fav, but it's even more up the pop rock alley than their later material imo

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad :hifive:

Good to see IQ winning the round, this album is just outstanding. Second CD isn't as good as the first (but still got some great songs like Fall and Rise); but some of their other albums are just as great.

I really want to send Beyond the Bridge, but seeing how you didn't like The Room and how you say you're tired of prog metal albums over an hour long, I have reservations about this. But I really want to send them, I pretty much send them whenever they're not banned. :lol I should probably go with another prog rock album I've got on my list.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
send beyond the bridge tbh, if i like it then anyone will like it (unless they suck)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I suck though. Look at Sacul's and POA's roulettes  :lol

Chad :hifive:

Good to see IQ winning the round, this album is just outstanding. Second CD isn't as good as the first (but still got some great songs like Fall and Rise); but some of their other albums are just as great.

I really want to send Beyond the Bridge, but seeing how you didn't like The Room and how you say you're tired of prog metal albums over an hour long, I have reservations about this. But I really want to send them, I pretty much send them whenever they're not banned. :lol I should probably go with another prog rock album I've got on my list.

It's more like if it's over an hour long AND full of the same or trying to cram way too much in. Like Soen or Ostura, no offense at all those who sent them  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
sacul sucks too so it's ok

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, screw it, let's send Beyond the Bridge. The album is just so good.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Hangman:

Ev sent Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man and the Spirit

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
:hifive: back at ya!

Hangman:

Ev sent Beyond the Bridge - The Old Man and the Spirit

:rollin

How this scores will play a huge role into whether I play another (similar) particular album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Taking the hit for you, you're welcome.

Sent the album and the long-ass write up I always do for Beyond the Bridge. :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Taking the hit for you, you're welcome.

Sent the album and the long-ass write up I always do for Beyond the Bridge. :lol

Ahh... going with the "if you can't convince them, confuse them" approach!  I like it.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

Do people usually send write ups?  I've either just sent the song/album and a link, or sent at most a sentence or two.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
My writeup was like "oh lol this isn't banned? well its good ok"

I'm usually too lazy to do writeups and just let the music speak for itself instead

Offline Tomislav95

Sent something a bit less conventional than Riverside :corn
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
As I told Evermind, no pressure, right? That was one long ass writeup  :lol He's very passionate about it. I hope I enjoy it.

There's your free hangman answer  :lol Waiting on 2 more before we get that started.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent a 74 min album :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Sent!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent!

When did you join?  :lol

Just need one more. I've already played one submission twice.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Peanut gallery checking in! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Elite sent Perhelion Ship