Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 105591 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
And all that's fine, I think.  But if someone asked you to score it, maybe it was in a roulette, there's nothing wrong with you giving it a low score. What else can you give something that you dislike that much?  If the band told you it was their best song/album and they did exactly what they meant to, would that make it more listenable to you?

I'd give it a score based  on whether I like it.  That's all I can do.   I know with my roulette there was some controversy, but I went with what resonates with me.   I thought Lorde was sort of pretentious.  I don't really like pretentious, so she suffered in MY rating.   I thought Devin Townsend was everything I love about music.   Power, passion, precision, fun, emotional, melodic, rhythmic... it blew me away then and blows me away now.   That's all I can do, and so I support KTLX and his 10's.    He should give me one, though.   He's losing credibility by not.  ;)  :)  ;) 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I'm expecting to get a score this round, don't disappoint me

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
The 9s and 9.5s aren't far off from 10s either honestly, like, IQ and Sleep Party People could go toe to toe with David Gilmour and that Radiohead album for my tastes. Hell a 9.5 could become a 10 over time, or a 9, it's just all how much time favors it. There's only a small handful of albums submitted that I have no interest in returning to so far, everything else is a guaranteed journey for me
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Return to brand new until it kills you  :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
What's that? Play more Hospice by The Antlers? You got it  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
To be fair, that is genuinely a better album so w/e

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I'm getting the sinking feeling that Jeff Buckley may not resonate with KTLX the way thought it might when I initially sent it.... I'm hoping for at least a 7/10 though. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
If it's any consolation there isn't a single clunker this round. :neverusethis:

I'll post some snips tomorrow

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Sending deathspell omega next round then  :metal

• DTF.org Member
Sending deathspell omega next round then  :metal
I was going to send that. I guess we both technically could.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've decided to do a follow-up post after the final round with my final thoughts on each person's submissions. But for now, here's a tease for Saturday's results...

1. Cool album with strong hooks that I really enjoy. Singer has a pleasant voice. I'm surprised I haven't heard of this group before.

2. For me, there is a very thin line in this genre that separates the good from bad, and it doesn't take much to bring the whole thing down. This lands safely on the 'good' side.

3. There are so many moments on this album that remind me of my own playing and songwriting, when I dabble in it. I feel like I "get" this album, and it gets me.

4. Definitely one of a kind. This does not vibe with what I've always thought of the band - it's better, and way more adventurous than I anticipated.

5. Loads of really cool keyboards and some great, great instrumental work and vocal melodies. One of your best submissions.

6. Your favorite tracks on this album are my favorites, too. This is beautiful, expertly crafted music. Prog done right, to my ears. I love this album.

7. This kind of outfit tends to bore me easily, but the songs are energetic and infectious, and great for the gym.

8. I begged for different stuff and you delivered the goods. Super creative and kind of out there. One of my favorites of the whole roulette.

9. It took a few days of chewing on my thoughts, but I really warmed up to this after initially hating it. This is intense and more creative than a lot of prog metal bands - it's refreshing.

10. A nice, warm vibe seems to radiate from this record and I dig it a lot.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
2. For me, there is a very thin line in this genre that separates the good from bad, and it doesn't take much to bring the whole thing down. This lands safely on the 'good' side.

3. There are so many moments on this album that remind me of my own playing and songwriting, when I dabble in it. I feel like I "get" this album, and it gets me.

One of these, the rest don't fit Ommadawn at all :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Are you right? Are you wrong? Who knows?!  :biggrin:

Very very good round, I am enjoying these a lot.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Could be so many of these but they're all positive so that's good  :corn

1. maybe
2. ehh prob not
3. this seems like Jeff Buckley I dunno
4. no
5. most likely tbh
6. maybe? I have a review up for bent knee too so
7. no
8. god I hope
9. no
10. probably not

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I've decided to do a follow-up post after the final round with my final thoughts on each person's submissions. But for now, here's a tease for Saturday's results...

1. Cool album with strong hooks that I really enjoy. Singer has a pleasant voice. I'm surprised I haven't heard of this group before.

4. Definitely one of a kind. This does not vibe with what I've always thought of the band - it's better, and way more adventurous than I anticipated.

5. Loads of really cool keyboards and some great, great instrumental work and vocal melodies. One of your best submissions.

6. Your favorite tracks on this album are my favorites, too. This is beautiful, expertly crafted music. Prog done right, to my ears. I love this album.

7. This kind of outfit tends to bore me easily, but the songs are energetic and infectious, and great for the gym.

8. I begged for different stuff and you delivered the goods. Super creative and kind of out there. One of my favorites of the whole roulette.

9. It took a few days of chewing on my thoughts, but I really warmed up to this after initially hating it. This is intense and more creative than a lot of prog metal bands - it's refreshing.

I could be 2, 3 (not sure about your playing?), 5 (but I doubt it), 7 (but I doubt it), 9 (but I hope not!), or 10.

I'd bet next months paycheque that Puppies/Buckley is 8, and Lethean/DGM is 1
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lethean

I could be 2, 3 (not sure about your playing?), 5 (but I doubt it), 7 (but I doubt it), 9 (but I hope not!), or 10.

I'd bet next months paycheque that Puppies/Buckley is 8, and Lethean/DGM is 1

How bout I take you up on the second part of your bet?  If DGM isn't #1, you can send me that check.  :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
 :corn

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll also wager Stads/Queen is #4.  While hoping that I'm not #9, I'll hope (no offense pal) that #9 is Evermind/Karmakanic.  Gun to my head... I'll predict #2 for me.  Though it could easily be the other way around.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
I think mine could be 2, 3, 8, or 10.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Jingle, do you have a gambling problem? You’ve bet next months paycheck on three different occasions now :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Jingle, do you have a gambling problem? You’ve bet next months paycheck on three different occasions now :lol

No, I'm just loaded.  I have more money than brains.

:lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Well, 9 definitely isn't mine, but apart from that, I don't really know.

You're such a tease, Katt.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll also wager Stads/Queen is #4.  While hoping that I'm not #9, I'll hope (no offense pal) that #9 is Evermind/Karmakanic.  Gun to my head... I'll predict #2 for me.  Though it could easily be the other way around.

I don't really think Karmakanic is prog metal, so I don't think #9 is mine.

I hope #6 is mine. I always mention my favourite tracks from the albums I sent.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Actually 9 is not prog metal. I didn't think about that interpretation, but what I mean is that that album sounds more progressive than some progressive music.  :biggrin:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
In that case, any of them could be mine.

MAYBE IT'S ALL OF THEM AND YOU'RE JUST TROLLING ME

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

That's my thought/hope as well.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
In that case, any of them could be mine.

MAYBE IT'S ALL OF THEM AND YOU'RE JUST TROLLING ME

:jamaritard:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Results tomorrow, as usual. I'd have them up tonight but I want to watch movies. Sue me.  :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
What movies  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
What movies  :corn

The Dark Tower (watching out of obligation as a massive Dark Tower fan)
Pirates of the Caribbean 5 (seen the other 4 so I gotta watch this too)
Dr. Strange ('cause Dr. Strange is awesome)
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (I don't know why I rented this)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I saw the first three pirates films but had no interest in the fourth so you're not obligated imo  :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Eh, the fourth was all right. To be honest I'm not really a huge fan of the series, but they're enjoyable enough. I think the second was my favorite. The third had the coolest climax though, that whirlpool ship battle is just amazing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Because you needed some hatred in your life after loving my album so much :P

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Alle in one evening? How do you not fall asleep?
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Because you needed some hatred in your life after loving my album so much :P

:lol

Alle in one evening? How do you not fall asleep?

Nah, it's throughout the weekend. I just wrapped up The Dark Tower and am really fucking mad at how awful it is, so I'm going to the gym. Piece of traaaash