Author Topic: Kattelox's Album Roulette - Party Time! Excellent! v. FIN  (Read 104669 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
I listen to a lot of bands whose first language isn't English so I'm used to bad grammar etc. Nothing new for me whatsoever  :) I mean, Stratovarius, Rhapsody... come on! lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Risky choice with Echoes, Chad, I think this might be chucked under "boring progressive metal" category by our host.

I don't think so. Based on the standings, I think K-lox is under the impression that J-Boy is someone important around here and is obviously favoring him.

At least someone gets it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
A lot of my favorite bands don't sing in English period which solves the problem entirely  :corn

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A lot of my favorite bands don't sing in English period which solves the problem entirely  :corn

A lot of your favorite bands don't sing. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Scratch that we might have 2 10s. I think ya'll are starting to get me  :hat (or you're just lucky)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lethean

I listen to a lot of bands whose first language isn't English so I'm used to bad grammar etc. Nothing new for me whatsoever  :) I mean, Stratovarius, Rhapsody... come on! lol

I don't know much about either band's lyrics but the Stratovarius guys seem to speak very well.  I wouldn't normally even mention and maybe didn't need to, but you seem a little weird about lyrics.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Scratch that we might have 2 10s. I think ya'll are starting to get me  :hat (or you're just lucky)

That or you’re giving out perfect 10s way too easily. I’m not entirely sure whether I have ever heard an album I would give a 10/10.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I expect Ommadawn to be one of the 10s :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

I don't know much about either band's lyrics but the Stratovarius guys seem to speak very well.  I wouldn't normally even mention and maybe didn't need to, but you seem a little weird about lyrics.

I'm talking about the broken English and grammar, not specifically the way they sound while singing. I'm not weird about lyrics - picky maybe, but only because metal bands in general have awful lyrics, and the older I get the more I wish bands would just stop forcing verses and choruses to exist just for the sake of existing. If I have to hear one more metal band, or really  of any genre,  sing about their brooding adult angst and rage and inner pain I'm going to barf.  :D

I also mentioned early on that I'm wildly inconsistent. Even if the lyrics are bad to me,  it's all about context - does the rest of the music appeal to me? Does the texture of the singer's voice lessen or intensify my disposition towards the lyrics or vocal melodies? Etc.

I suppose that could be weird, but I'm super particular and choosey for a reason: I'm very bored with music and am simply looking for good art that appeals to me   :biggrin:

Also a 10/10 in the context of the roulette is not necessarily a 10/10 done deal in general. It's just how I feel by the end of that round. None of the 10s so far come anywhere close to an all time 10/10 for me like Toto IV, Stratovarius's Episode, or Ashes Against the Grain.

Fuck me, I'm a chatterbox. I just love dissecting music and talking about it and discussing what I like and what I don't, even if my taste doesn't make sense to others.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
If I have to hear one more metal band, or really  of any genre,  sing about their brooding adult angst and rage and inner pain I'm going to barf.  :D
I'm sending Nine Inch Nails in the next rounds :metardica:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
If I have to hear one more metal band, or really  of any genre,  sing about their brooding adult angst and rage and inner pain I'm going to barf.  :D
I'm sending Nine Inch Nails in the next rounds :metardica:

The Downward Spiral actually ain't too terrible :metardica: (there's that inconsistency!)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Fragile is better tho :2metal:

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I'm not weird about lyrics - picky maybe, but only because metal bands in general have awful lyrics, and the older I get the more I wish bands would just stop forcing verses and choruses to exist just for the sake of existing. If I have to hear one more metal band, or really  of any genre,  sing about their brooding adult angst and rage and inner pain I'm going to barf.  :D

I've been burning my CDs to a network drive lately, and as part of that I've been on eBay and Discogs to fill a couple holes.  I got a couple soundtracks from the Marvel movies (one had Alter Bridge "Save Me" on it, which I love).   And MAN, does a lot of the current metal blow.   Holy shit.  From Drowing Poll to Puddle Of Mud (who I like), to Chevelle to Seether to Strata to Hatebreed to Finger Eleven to Switchfoot to Taking Back Sunday... it's all just noise.  I feel like they cycle the same singer across all these bands, and it just sounds all alike.   The guitars are all sort of the same - quiet at first then that really heavily compressed wall of noice behind the singer screaming about how "Hollow" they are or how "Broken" they are or how "Sick" or "Complicated"... fuck me, too.   

Fuck me, I'm a chatterbox. I just love dissecting music and talking about it and discussing what I like and what I don't, even if my taste doesn't make sense to others.

Don't apologize; this is the fun part of roulettes, at least for me. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've been burning my CDs to a network drive lately, and as part of that I've been on eBay and Discogs to fill a couple holes.  I got a couple soundtracks from the Marvel movies (one had Alter Bridge "Save Me" on it, which I love).   And MAN, does a lot of the current metal blow.   Holy shit.  From Drowing Poll to Puddle Of Mud (who I like), to Chevelle to Seether to Strata to Hatebreed to Finger Eleven to Switchfoot to Taking Back Sunday... it's all just noise.  I feel like they cycle the same singer across all these bands, and it just sounds all alike.   The guitars are all sort of the same - quiet at first then that really heavily compressed wall of noice behind the singer screaming about how "Hollow" they are or how "Broken" they are or how "Sick" or "Complicated"... fuck me, too.   

If we ever meet remind me to buy you a few rounds of beers for this because I feel like I could've written this post VERBATIM. Also, you know I've talked about how my brother runs the radio at the shop here. I have to hear that Puddle of Mudd song with the lyric "I love the way you smack my ass" every single day. Multiple times. I want to die.  :lol

It'll be even better when I send my favorite metal music to other people here and they'll think, "This is exactly what you said you hate!!"  :rollin But of course that's because those either helped shape my taste or I found them so long ago I've grown up with them, or just plain think they're good... opinions on art are weird, man.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

That or you’re giving out perfect 10s way too easily. I’m not entirely sure whether I have ever heard an album I would give a 10/10.

:iagree:

Based on what did get 9.5 and 10 earlier, I’ll bet next month’s paycheque I’m not getting 10/10, and this relinquishing the lead.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I'm not weird about lyrics - picky maybe, but only because metal bands in general have awful lyrics, and the older I get the more I wish bands would just stop forcing verses and choruses to exist just for the sake of existing. If I have to hear one more metal band, or really  of any genre,  sing about their brooding adult angst and rage and inner pain I'm going to barf.  :D

Yeah all those bands are like post-grunge garbage trash nobody likes

Anyways I gave what i consider to be my favorite album of all time a 9.75 when I reviewed it and there's maybe like, 2 or 3 other albums I'd rate as high, nothing 10/10 in my book yet but I'm looking for it still

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I agree with Parama. Talk about a suck genre..

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can't fathom not having a single album in your collection that isn't a 10/10. That's just madness to me. I can make a top 10 right now and every single one of those is a perfect, flawless album to me (in the sense that it needs nothing taken away or added to it; as it is, it is a brilliant work of art that I never get sick of hearing).

The thought of not having a 'perfect' album (relative to one's tastes) in my collection makes me genuinely sad. You all need to find your 10s! Those albums that you think are so good words fail to do them justice!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I mean I absolutely think that way about my fave albums just that I can still recognize flaws or weak moments in them

We obviously use different rating scales though if you completely hated moonsorrow and still gave it a 5, so  :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
The Fragile is better tho :2metal:

I'll second that!
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I mean I absolutely think that way about my fave albums just that I can still recognize flaws or weak moments in them

We obviously use different rating scales though if you completely hated moonsorrow and still gave it a 5, so  :lol

We do, but I'm also working out the kinks in this one for the next one. And I intend to use the full scale then to show ZERO mercy   :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Excellent  :corn

I still haven't had to give out a score as low as 2/10 since my first roulette despite using a harsher curve but I'm not doing scores for my next roulette anyways

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

What was that record that got a 9.75?

It's all good, I'm not being critical here, just observing, but I think you and I have a fundamental difference when it comes to music.   I really enjoy the artist's take on things.   I sometimes slip here with terminology, but deep down I don't believe in "good" or "bad" art, only "whether I like it".   The one one that can say if it's "good" or not is the artist ("how close did I come to my vision?"). Doesn't mean I like everything they do - just the opposite.  Some bands - Queen - are infuriating.  But rather than say "It was a mistake to put "Misfire" and "Bring Back That Leroy Brown" on there???" I kind of try to understand why they did.   And, like with Iron Maiden on Number of the Beast (or U2 The Joshua Tree) I'll make versions I like (with Total Eclipse for Maiden, and all the b-sides for U2).

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
@Katt the one I'm sending you in the last round

Offline Lethean

It's all good, I'm not being critical here, just observing, but I think you and I have a fundamental difference when it comes to music.   I really enjoy the artist's take on things.   I sometimes slip here with terminology, but deep down I don't believe in "good" or "bad" art, only "whether I like it".   The one one that can say if it's "good" or not is the artist ("how close did I come to my vision?"). Doesn't mean I like everything they do - just the opposite.  Some bands - Queen - are infuriating.  But rather than say "It was a mistake to put "Misfire" and "Bring Back That Leroy Brown" on there???" I kind of try to understand why they did.   And, like with Iron Maiden on Number of the Beast (or U2 The Joshua Tree) I'll make versions I like (with Total Eclipse for Maiden, and all the b-sides for U2).

I agree with you that in reality, it's all about whether I like it vs "good" or "bad."  But when I score something, it's going to be on a scale of how well I like it, rather than the artists intentions.  How do you even know what they are?  And if you did, it could be anything. 
"What was your intention with this record?"
"To kick some ass!"
"Do you feel like you succeeded?"
"Hell yeah!!!!"
"Ok, 10 for you." 

Or

"Mr. Gabriel, what were you trying to do with your vocals on Supper's Ready?"
"Why, I wanted to make the listener cringe."
"Well, I did, so, OK, 10 for you..."

If an artist has a vision and meets that vision - that's great.  But I'm not sure how I'm even going to know it, but let's say I do - it's not going to make me give them a higher/lower score.  Or what if, 2 years after an album's release, they love it and think it did exactly what it set out to do... but 10 years later, they look back and think "you know, we missed the mark on that one."  Should I give it a 10 at first and then downgrade it later?  If I give a score, it's gotta be based on how I feel about it, even if it's different than how the artist feels.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
"What was your intention?"
"To make an album"
"Okay, 10/10"

~Me, reviewing Nickelback

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
For me, even an album that is the GOAT (by my own criteria) has flaws or moments that I wouldn't consider 10/10.  I guess I hear 10/10, or "perfect" and take that literally.  No flaws; nothing I don't like; cannot be improved; nothing is better. 

Different strokes; different folks... it's cool.  But I ask this, what happens if/when someone sends you an album you think is better than Gilmour or Radiohead?  Do your knobs go to 11?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
For me, even an album that is the GOAT (by my own criteria) has flaws or moments that I wouldn't consider 10/10.  I guess I hear 10/10, or "perfect" and take that literally.  No flaws; nothing I don't like; cannot be improved; nothing is better. 

Different strokes; different folks... it's cool.  But I ask this, what happens if/when someone sends you an album you think is better than Gilmour or Radiohead?  Do your knobs go to 11?

Since I assume this is for me ;) It gets a 10. Gilmour and Radiohead got 10 last round, but I enjoy those albums in different ways, and I think they excel at what they're trying to communicate in different ways. For me, a 10/10 is simply maximum enjoyability. What entails maximum enjoyability? Whatever caters to my tastes. It just so happens that everything about those Gilmour and Radiohead albums spoke to me in such a way that I feel it's worthy of the best possible score. In other words, 10/10 is a big neon arrow sign pointing at the album saying, "SEND ME MORE OF THIS PLEASE THANK YOU" - not that it's a "perfect" album in the sense that it's incapable of being criticized.

But like I said it's just for roulette standings. Again, Gilmour and Radiohead got 10/10, but if you wanted me to rank them seriously in my catalogue *right now* I would probably not even consider that until I get a physical copy and spend much more time with it. I wanted to mention it earlier but a big benefit of these roulettes is teaching me to digest albums in a much quicker way so I can discover music quickly once again instead of taking 3 weeks with one album.

So yeah. I think the topic is interesting, and I totally get why some would never give a 10/10 in a roulette or even to their own collection, but I definitely feel I have lots of "10/10" albums on my shelves. :D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Totally fair points and perspective.  I dig can dig it.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I can't fathom not having a single album in your collection that isn't a 10/10. That's just madness to me. I can make a top 10 right now and every single one of those is a perfect, flawless album to me (in the sense that it needs nothing taken away or added to it; as it is, it is a brilliant work of art that I never get sick of hearing).

The thought of not having a 'perfect' album (relative to one's tastes) in my collection makes me genuinely sad. You all need to find your 10s! Those albums that you think are so good words fail to do them justice!

The thing with ranking music is that context plays a role as well, not just the music itself. When I did my latest top 50 a year or two ago, I had a very hard time ranking everything above, say place 25. What can be your favourite album on one day may be something you don't want to listen to at all the next day. Besides; what makes an album actually good? I consider Images & Words by this band Dream Theater to me my favourite album of all time, but that's mainly because it has opened doors to so much other music. In the past three years I've maybe heard the full album twice. Is Images & Words a perfect album though? I don't really think so. I placed other albums in my top 50 that are maybe objectively 'better'.

I'm a music teacher and I hold a Master's degree in Musicology. One of the recurring 'problems' with studying music is that at a certain point, you start thinking about things like ranking music too much and it becomes meaningless. I can enjoy albums that didn't even make my top 50 just as well as albums that are in my top 10. It's never as black and white as a ranking like xx/10 with art, as far as I'm concerned.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's interesting.  Particularly this line:

What can be your favourite album on one day may be something you don't want to listen to at all the next day.

Not for me! My favorite albums of all time are always bouncing around in my head and tend to be the ones I go for when I'm feeling indifferent about what music I want to hear at any given moment. Although I may not listen to them every day they're definitely the albums that inform my musical taste.

Also it's cool that you have a degree in music! I have a degree in music education with a focus on piano, although I've decided that isn't the career I want anymore  :biggrin:

Also I've given every album a listen or two so far and wow this is another great round... scoring will be tough

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

I agree with you that in reality, it's all about whether I like it vs "good" or "bad."  But when I score something, it's going to be on a scale of how well I like it, rather than the artists intentions.  How do you even know what they are?  And if you did, it could be anything. 
"To kick some ass!"
"Hell yeah!!!!"
"Ok, 10 for you." 

Or

If an artist has a vision and meets that vision - that's great.  But I'm not sure how I'm even going to know it, but let's say I do - it's not going to make me give them a higher/lower score.  Or what if, 2 years after an album's release, they love it and think it did exactly what it set out to do... but 10 years later, they look back and think "you know, we missed the mark on that one."  Should I give it a 10 at first and then downgrade it later?  If I give a score, it's gotta be based on how I feel about it, even if it's different than how the artist feels.

You may not know it.   No argument there.  But that just means any ranking you give is mostly just "I like it".  You can rationalize that "like" all day long, but it's still just "I like it".   I  just bristle at this notion that somehow one asshole with ears is qualified to say to anyone else what a "perfect album" is.   I bag on Radiohead a lot, and 99.99% of that is to be funny and/or  stimulate conversation, but at the end of the day, I don't really lose any sleep over whether others like them or not, I personally can't STAND them.  UNLISTENABLE to me.  Really.  Thom Yorke is top three most annoying singers in rock to me.   But you also don't see me trying to justify why they are "bad".   I don't know that they are "good" or "bad".   It's okay to not know.

A great example here is "Atom Heart Mother" by Floyd.  Top three or five Floyd album for me.  I LOVE it.  That song is just... every time I listen to it, it just connects with me.   Gilmour  and Waters have both actively dismissed that record and distanced themselves from it.  Turns out that they actually didn't finish it, Ron Geesin did.  So whether they like it or not, whether it hit their mark or not, is interesting, but it's not really relevant. I  just know that when  I put it on, it triggers really good feelings in me, and that's what music is intended to do.

You will also note that I usually stick up for bands like Nickelback in these conversations (not bagging on you, Parama, you just happened to mention them).   I don't understand the need to actively denigrate artists like that.   From what I gather from interviews with Chad Kroeger, he's not really interested in being the next Steven Wilson (and thank god for that), but  he also gets 14,000 people to put their hands in the air and forget about that mortgage, or pregnant girlfriend or shitty job for two hours every night, and don't kid yourself:  Steven Wilson would take that in a fucking HEARTBEAT if he could.     

Offline Lethean

"To kick some ass!"
"Hell yeah!!!!"
"Ok, 10 for you." 

Or

You may not know it.   No argument there.  But that just means any ranking you give is mostly just "I like it".  You can rationalize that "like" all day long, but it's still just "I like it".   I  just bristle at this notion that somehow one asshole with ears is qualified to say to anyone else what a "perfect album" is.   
Well, if said individual's ranking was going to be added to the official book of album rankings as the one true measure of an album's worth, I'd say no one is qualified.  Not even the artist.  Other than that, we're all qualified to say what a perfect, great, mediocre, or poor album or song is to us. 

I bag on Radiohead a lot, and 99.99% of that is to be funny and/or  stimulate conversation, but at the end of the day, I don't really lose any sleep over whether others like them or not, I personally can't STAND them.  UNLISTENABLE to me.  Really.  Thom Yorke is top three most annoying singers in rock to me.   But you also don't see me trying to justify why they are "bad".   I don't know that they are "good" or "bad".   It's okay to not know.

And all that's fine, I think.  But if someone asked you to score it, maybe it was in a roulette, there's nothing wrong with you giving it a low score. What else can you give something that you dislike that much?  If the band told you it was their best song/album and they did exactly what they meant to, would that make it more listenable to you?

A great example here is "Atom Heart Mother" by Floyd.  Top three or five Floyd album for me.  I LOVE it.  That song is just... every time I listen to it, it just connects with me.   Gilmour  and Waters have both actively dismissed that record and distanced themselves from it.  Turns out that they actually didn't finish it, Ron Geesin did.  So whether they like it or not, whether it hit their mark or not, is interesting, but it's not really relevant. I  just know that when  I put it on, it triggers really good feelings in me, and that's what music is intended to do.

Which is all about you and how you feel about it. Do you have any idea what this other guy's vision or intentions were?  Probably not, but it doesn't matter.

You will also note that I usually stick up for bands like Nickelback in these conversations (not bagging on you, Parama, you just happened to mention them).   I don't understand the need to actively denigrate artists like that.   From what I gather from interviews with Chad Kroeger, he's not really interested in being the next Steven Wilson (and thank god for that), but  he also gets 14,000 people to put their hands in the air and forget about that mortgage, or pregnant girlfriend or shitty job for two hours every night, and don't kid yourself:  Steven Wilson would take that in a fucking HEARTBEAT if he could.   
How do you know that?  Maybe he wouldn't.  Maybe he would take it if it just so happened that way, but he's not going to change his music in search of it. 

I don't have strong enough feelings about Nickelback to denigrate them.  I reserve that for smaller bands that lots of people praise but I can't stand. :)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Risky choice with Echoes, Chad, I think this might be chucked under "boring progressive metal" category by our host.

I don't think so. Based on the standings, I think K-lox is under the impression that J-Boy is someone important around here and is obviously favoring him.

:lol

I don't think mine is 10/10 this time, but I'm making a deliberate effort to keep my entries varied enough. I'll be very surprised if I get a score lower than eight though.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.