Poll

EP round for Round 9?

Give it to me baby!
8 (61.5%)
Get back witch!
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Puppies_On_Acid's Gentlemen's Roulette! Epilogue  (Read 80389 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
no clue which is mine but #7 is igorrr  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Clearly!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Nah it's the lead single from the new SRO album "Hoo-dini and Muhammad Owlee"
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
5. This is similar to the last song you sent and almost as good.
12. This sounds similar to another song you sent. It has a very chill vibe to it.

I'm confident mine is one of these...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

1. I'm liking the music, but I'm still not sure about the vocals.

Definitely mine. What the vocals lack in range, they make up for in passion.

Probably why they went instrumental after this album!  I don't get the hate, I loved the vocals.

I'll let 1/2 a paycheque ride on #2, and the other half on #9.  Magali Luyten's voice can be hit-or-miss.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
- Maybe, but probably not.

2. Love that guitar solo. The vocals are also pretty good.
- No.

3. This isn't very memorable to me. After listening I have a hard time remembering any of it.
- Actually could be me.

4. I've heard a few other songs by these guys before and this isn't of the same quality. It takes too long to get anywhere interesting.
- No (Puppies said he'd never heard of my act)

5. This is similar to the last song you sent and almost as good.
- There is a chilled vibe, but probably not.

6. There's parts of this I love and then parts that I very much dislike.
- Don't think so.

7. This sounds cool. Wait what? What happened? Who....? Confused...... I'm dead.
- No.

8. Very awesome song. Very strong melodies and riffs. The second half is epic.
- No.

9. I love the heavy riffs and drums. Some of the vocals don't seem to fit the song.
- No.

10. This is very close to scratching my Moonsorrow-like itch.
- I don't know what this means  ??? ;D

11. Wasn't what I was expecting. It's got some folky bits and interesting vocals.
- I reckon this maybe me.

12. This sounds similar to another song you sent. It has a very chill vibe to it.
- Or this.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
8. Very awesome song. Very strong melodies and riffs. The second half is epic.

The Scarecrow.  Count on it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
3. This isn't very memorable to me. After listening I have a hard time remembering any of it.
By your previous writeups, it's very likely 12, but the others seem fitting.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
4. I've heard a few other songs by these guys before and this isn't of the same quality. It takes too long to get anywhere interesting.
9. I love the heavy riffs and drums. Some of the vocals don't seem to fit the song.
Could be any of these (even though the 2 intro riffs of my song are probably my favourite of the whole thing, I can see #4 applying), not too confident in this round :lol

Agreed on #8 probably being Avantasia
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
 Scarecrow better score well  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Results later tonight after I eat dinner and whatnot! :soon:  :corn

I figured since it's Friday the 13th today, it seems fitting to kill off the bottom 3 in the roulette.  :xbones
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
born to die world is a cut

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's getting late on the East Coast!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Silly east coasters, thinking the world revolves around them  :biggrin:

I know you're old and it's past your bedtime, you will just have to check in the morning. :jamaritard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
~*~ kattelox needs validation ~*~

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Kattoelox gets an automatic 0/10 on his song for spelling his name incorrectly.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I got something for ya ...

:natalieportman:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Cross thread smooches. Ain't we clever!

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Cross thread smooches. Ain't we clever!
:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Silly east coasters, thinking the world revolves around them  :biggrin:

It doesn't??

I know you're old and it's past your bedtime,

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Kattoelox gets an automatic 0/10 on his song for spelling his name incorrectly.  :corn

Kattelox regrets nothing. Kattelox knows who he is. Kattelox is:millahhhh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Pup, WTF?? All you can eat??

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
born to die world is a cut
kill em all 2018
i am trash man
410,757,864,530 cut players

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Pup, WTF?? All you can eat??
Yes :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
can't believe we're already coming up on the two-year anniversary of "zantera / sacul music"

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
can't believe we're already coming up on the two-year anniversary of "zantera / sacul music"
:soon:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
RESULTS!

and the killing off of the ones left behind by the group...

Evermind
(Germany) Avantasia - The Scarecrow

Maybe you should have saved this for the Epic Round.... This is EPIC! Yes that's an all caps epic... The violins with the guitars sounds awesome. The more laid back, simpler verses make the louder, more bombastic parts stand out even more and drives the epicness to 11! The gang/choir vocals are very well done (more on the vocals in a moment). Then the middle part is a nice symphonic/ambient build up to the second half which drives that fact that this song is epic home! The guitar solo is very tasty, not overly technical. Then the last 4 minutes or so are just, wow! Makes me want to bang my head. Now back to the vocals...99% of the vocals are great, but there is this vibrato that is used in the upper register in a few parts that just doesn't sound good. I'm not sure who the culprit is, since apparently Michael Kiske, Jorn Lande, and Tobias all sing on this song. So because of that little niggle this song just barely misses the highest score....
9.5/10

Elite
(Netherlands) Vanaheim - Daughter of the Dawn

I get a lot of Moonsorrow similarities from this. It seems like this is a newish band. If that's the case then they could be on the verge of being a new favorite band in the Folk/viking/pagan/black metal arena. If they can expound on the sound they have here and flesh it out to a full album, it could be incredible. Anyways, back to this song. The intro is very reminiscent of Moonsorrow. Then there's tons of acoustic guitar, traditional folk/viking/pagan instruments (not sure if they are just keyboards or if they are actually playing the instruments like Moonsorrow, either way they sound pretty good), and soaring riffs, choir vocals, all the stuff you need to sound like Moonsorrow. Where is diverges is this has more Melodic Death Metal elements thrown in. This helps provide some uniqueness, so they aren't just a carbon copy. It's really good stuff and I look forward to exploring more of their music.
9.5/10

KTLX
(USA) Slushii - Sapient Dream

Happy, airy, light, jingly?, chill. These words describe this song. It doesn't quite have the same impact as your last song, but it has a similar vibe. And whatever that vibe is, I like it. The processed vocal-like lead sounds (whatever it is) might be a little over done, but still enjoyable for the most part. The whole song flows nicely and it just puts me in a good mood listening to it. I'm not really sure what genre of electronic music this would fall under, but I would like to find more like this.
9/10

Jingle
(Belgium) Epysode - Obsessions

I enjoyed the hell out of this. No pussyfooting around, it jumps right in a grabs you by the balls for some rockin Prog metal. It manages to be heavy without falling in to the djent trap. The male/female vocal dynamic works really well and I like both of their voices. I did a little digging in to the band members because I noticed slight similarities to Pain of Salvation, which I came to find out makes sense because Kristoffer Gildenlow and Leo Margarit play bass and drums respectively on this album. I've never heard of Christophe Godin before, but that solo he jumps in with is awesome. I also checked out the video for this song like you suggested and I quite enjoyed that too. Another solid song and I'm definitely going to give the rest of the album a listen.
9/10

Parama
(USA) Black Crown Initiate - Belie the Machine

If you had sent this song to me without giving me a band name I probably would have guessed it was Gojira, until it got to the clean vocals. The clean vocals weren't that great, but I warmed up to them a little the more I listened to this. The rest of the song though was really great! The jazzy/fusion intro sounds awesome. Then the tremolo picking in to the riffs that come in after that are some of the best I've heard all roulette. The drummer is enjoyable to listen to as well. He keeps that jazz/fusion style to his playing throughout the song and the whole band goes in and out of jazz/fusion mode a couple times throughout. It's a really cool song, made slightly less cool by the clean vocals.
8.5/10

Home
(France) Igorrr - Opus Brain

So the little snippet I made about this song is actually what a coworker of mine said when he was listening to this song with me the other day. I thought his reaction was hilarious so I thought I would share it. Believe is or not, this is not the strangest song I have ever heard. Having said that, it still makes hard lefts at random junctions constantly. It's a throw everything in, including the kitchen sink, type of song and then try to blend it all together. I like this kind of stuff. It works, to a degree. Still, I feel like they could be trying to hard to make the statement of, "we don't have a genre," even though there is a ton of cool stuff going on.
7.5/10

Luke
(Hungary) Thy Catafalque - Siraly & 10^(-20) Angstrom

Initially I thought this was going to compete with the Vanaheim song for best folk/viking/pagan metal song of the round. The song never got going in that direction though. No big deal. It's still quite enjoyable and has that folkyness that I like. I like the female vocals and harmonies. And the song does pick up a bit and get heavier in the middle to give it some good dynamics. The problem I have with it is the second half just kind of repeats the first half. So it falls a little flat in that regard. The end is really good though.
7.5/10

Tomislav
(Iceland) Agent Fresco - Dark Water

I hear a bit of Haken in this, only in shorter form and less heavy. The vocalist really reminds me of Ross Jennings at times. This is a pretty cool song. It's short and to the point with all the fat trimmed off. The one thing that really bothers me is that repeating piano melody throughout almost the entire song. To me it's really annoying. Then the little piano solo bit just doesn't work for me either. It kind of ruins the song a bit. Get rid of the piano and I think we have a great song.
7/10

TAC
(Mexico) Glass Mind - Your Name in Silence

This one started off so good. Then the vocals came in. At first they were just a little off putting. The more I listened to the song, though, the more they annoyed the hell out of me. They seem super compressed and hollow sounding, like he's singing in a bathroom or something. Then his melodies just aren't very good. He sounds kind of like a very poor mans Ray Alder crossed with Jeff Scott Soto (whom I don't really like). The parts of the song when he stops singing are sublime. The guitars, bass, and drums come together to make some great progressive music. The keyboards are tastefully done and work to fill out the sound. The problem is the singer never seems to shut up. This would have scored higher had it been instrumental.
6.5/10

Train
(France) Hacride - Lazarus

As I had mentioned in the snippet on this song, I had heard a few songs by this band before and all of those songs were better....This one is marred a bit by the production being a little muddy. Then the song is way overlong for what it does. The acoustic intro isn't very engaging and then when the song does get heavier it doesn't do anything that is really that interesting to me. I also don't really care for the vocals on this either. Sorry Train, but you missed the mark on this one.
5.5/10

Sacul
(UK) Burial - Loner

This song is very samey from beginning to end. Same tempo, same mood, the beat never seems to change, and for a 7 minute song that's not good in my book, especially if the music isn't very pleasing to my ears. This has a very chill vibe to it, but has more of a darkwave sound to it. Then it has these random bursts of noise that I don't like. I just couldn't get in to this song.
5/10

Soupy
(USA) Phosphorescent - Song for Zula

Oh Soupy, you were doing so well. You have sent me some of the best melodies in this whole roulette, but then you sent this song, oh this song... This song suffers from the same problem as the Burial song, same beat, same tempo throughout, only this is worse by far. This song never once changes and that's not good because the music that is there is not interesting. I kept waiting for it to pick up or break down or do something. It never did. The string arrangements that come in are pretty good and the lyrics seem deep and meaningful, but the music drags this down so much. And this goes on for 6 minutes...
4/10

Standings (and eliminations)
Tomislav - 7, 9.5, 8.5, 9, 7 (41)
Train of Naught - 9.5, 7.5, 9, 9, 5.5 (40.5)
Evermind - 7.5, 7, 8, 7.5, 9.5 (39.5)
Kattoelox - 5.5, 6.5, 8, 10, 9 (39)
Parama - 6, 9, 7.5, 8, 8.5 (39)
Jingle.boy - 9, 4, 8, 8, 9 (38)
Soupytwist - 8, 10, 7, 8.5, 4 (37.5)
TAC - 8, 8, 8.5, 6.5, 6.5 (37.5)
Home - 7.5, 7, 7, 7, 7.5 (36)
TwoSuitsLuke - 6, 9, 5.5, 7.5, 7.5 (35.5)
Sacul - 7, 8, 7, 7, 5 (34)
Elite - 6, 7, 6, 5, 9.5 (33.5)

Thanks for playing Luke, Sacul, and Elite. You each sent some good songs, but it wasn't enough to keep you in. I'm afraid this is where you get off the ride.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies_On_Acid's Gentlemen's Roulette! Round 5 RESULTS & Eliminations
« Reply #727 on: April 13, 2018, 10:29:50 PM »
a lot of low scores this round, whew

anyways i need to decide on an epic & then send it

also see @ train told u the title track was the weakest one

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #728 on: April 13, 2018, 11:55:29 PM »
a lot of low scores this round, whew

anyways i need to decide on an epic & then send it

also see @ train told u the title track was the weakest one
I'm curious how long the playlist will be for the epic round. Even with 3 fewer people it may be the longest one yet.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #729 on: April 14, 2018, 12:02:55 AM »
At least I ended with my highest scoring song :tup

Thanks for having me, even though I sent you stuff you didn’t like in the first few rounds..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #730 on: April 14, 2018, 12:12:40 AM »
I'm curious how long the playlist will be for the epic round. Even with 3 fewer people it may be the longest one yet.
all my candidates are under 15 minutes, so  :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #731 on: April 14, 2018, 12:26:52 AM »
At least I ended with my highest scoring song :tup

Thanks for having me, even though I sent you stuff you didn’t like in the first few rounds..
That song was great. As soon as it started playing the first time I knew it was going to be awesome  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #732 on: April 14, 2018, 01:47:21 AM »
Nice. Maybe if I sent different song I'd have bigger lead now :\ Nevertheless, good to see my name up there :tup
I have an idea what to send for the next round, just need to check my library, maybe there's something you'd like more.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: April 14, 2018, 03:34:05 AM »
Yeah boi  :metal I had a feeling you'd really enjoy that track.

Next few rounds are gonna be... interesting.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:47:25 AM by Kattoelox »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #734 on: April 14, 2018, 04:22:34 AM »
Nah, if he doesn't like Lazarus I cannot imagine he would like this band at all

Can I still send Monday? Currently on a roadtrip and have very limited access to music and my laptop
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.