Poll

EP round for Round 9?

Give it to me baby!
8 (61.5%)
Get back witch!
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Puppies_On_Acid's Gentlemen's Roulette! Epilogue  (Read 81729 times)

Online Luoto

• Wandering midget
I would do it now, but I think I will do some Twitch streaming instead.

What do you stream?
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Just a reminder that I won't be able to send my next song until Monday.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I think I have narrowed down the round winner to 2 entries. I just need to finish write ups. I would do it now, but I think I will do some Twitch streaming instead. Results tomorrow!  :corn :corn :corn

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What is Twitch streaming?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
What is Twitch streaming?

Dag nabbit Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I have never heard of Twitch. Is that a game?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
 :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4

It's a video game live streaming service. Well, I think it's more than just video games but that's all I've ever seen associated with it. People upload videos of themselves playing games, sometimes on camera, sometimes not, but they're live, and often interact with their audience. It's fairly popular with, as Vincent Gambini would say, "the yoots."
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

It's a video game live streaming service. Well, I think it's more than just video games but that's all I've ever seen associated with it. People upload videos of themselves playing games, sometimes on camera, sometimes not, but they're live, and often interact with their audience. It's fairly popular with, as Vincent Gambini would say, "the yoots."

Both of them?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni

Both of them?

The yoots? Certainly.  :hat
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
TAC:
what's a stream? what's video game?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
As the resident and rightfully named forum toe, I will dedicate the rest of my hot young life to counterbalancing the... "experienced" wisdom of the elder TAC  :biggrin:  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
you two really tic me off

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
 :tup
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
:soon:  :corn :neverusethis:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
What if puppies actually streamed himself listening to our submissions and giving results live so we just missed it?  :corn :corn :corn

• DTF.org Member
What if puppies actually streamed himself listening to our submissions and giving results live so we just missed it?  :corn :corn :corn
I actually really want to do something like that, but Twitch would hit my Live Stream with the silent treatment for playing copyrighted music... :tdwn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
not if we all send really obscure stuff :neverusethis:

• DTF.org Member
Results Are IN!!

Soupytwist
(Sweden) First Aid Kit - Fireworks

Loved the vocals from the get go. Something about the way female vocals harmonize like this just sounds great to me. The rest of the song is fairly simple, but it's really just serving as a vessel for the fantastic vocals and lyrics (which are also fairly simple but at the same time fantastic). This song is outstanding in every way and I loved it more the more I heard it. This beat out the Goldfrapp song at the last minute. Great pick Soupy, you get the Round 2 victory!

10/10

Tomislav
(UK) Goldfrapp - Stranger

This was my favorite of the round for most of the week, but just barely lost out to First Aid Kit in the end. This is simply beautiful. It flows almost perfectly. This takes Chamber Pop and adds a folky element to it with a touch of chill dreaminess. I'm curious to check out more from this artist to see if they have some more upbeat songs, mostly because I'm curious what the singer would sound like if she belted out more. This song is also the perfect length, not too short and doesn't overstay its welcome. When the song ended I wanted to start it over again and again.... A much stronger showing for you in round 2.

9.5/10

TwoSuitsLuke
(UK) Portishead - Glory Box

I have an image in my head of this song being played in a 1950's smoky lounge. This has a sexy, yet melancholic vibe to it. There's a great guitar solo that comes in toward the end. The lyrics are also super catchy. I did get a few weird looks at work when I would randomly hum this song and sing "Give me a reason to be a woman, I just wanna be a woman." I'm glad someone sent Portishead, since I had always wanted to check them out, but never got around to it. I'm going to have to check out the rest of this album now.

9/10

Parama
(Germany) Esben and the Witch - No Dog

This has a lo-fi quality to it at the beginning, but it fits the sound they are going for and the vocals. Love the dynamics of the song. At first I didn't like to vocals at the end. I felt they needed to be more powerful to finish out the song, but the more I listened to it I realized she has this almost vulnerable determination to her vocals and I started to kind of fall in love with her voice. This is one of those songs that I just liked more and more each time I heard it. I wanted to look in to this album further, but they I happened upon your review for it. Seems like this is the only good song there. I'll still give it a once over to see if I like any of the rest of it.

9/10

Sacul
(USA) Saltillo - Giving In

You are keeping up the trend of sending super smooth songs. The singer reminds me of Shakira times, for some reason. I enjoy the quieter parts during the verses more, but that's not to say the chorus is bad. This is actually quite a bit better than the song you sent last round. I really like the lyrics. The line "I don't mind the people staring, cause I know they never see me anyway" really resonates with me. It's a pretty powerful line, in my opinion. This song was definitely more up my alley.

8/10

TAC
(Greece) Bare Infinity - In Desertis

Leave it to one of the fogeys to blow the lid off this round with heaviness and speed. First of all, the drummer here is really good and knows how to use speed to the song's advantage. The vocals are good, but nothing to get too excited about (nothing mind blowing here). Closest band I could compare this to would be Epica (without the harsh vocals), but I don't think Epica has released a song this good in recent years. I like the overall heaviness and the few sections of quick blast beats were fun (made me actually sit down at my drum kit to learn this song, it's fun to play). Not quite as memorable or original sounding as your round 1 song, but a strong song in an overall strong round.

8/10

Train of Naught
(UK) Rolo Tomassi - The Hollow Hour

Love that intro! The vocal and instrumental variety is nice, although I don't particularly love the harsh vocals in this. They aren't bad, but I feel like there should be a different style of harsh vocals on this (like maybe something more Tommy Rogers style?). I really like the ethereal/airy quality to the clean vocals. There are parts that really remind me of something Envy or Devil Sold His Soul would do. Overall this song is very strong. The only reason it didn't rank higher is the majority of the songs this round were very very good. I'm not sure how I never came across this band before, but I will definitely be checking them out further.

7.5/10

Evermind

I thought I would love this just based on your description, but I ended up only liking it. Glad I didn't give you that preemptive round 2 victory :D But still I love female fronted traditional doom metal. I actually kind of wished this was more heavy throughout. I think it might have made it more memorable. There wasn't really anything I could really latch on to that made me want to come back for more. Not quite what I was expecting, but still a pretty decent song.

7/10

Elite
Golden Caves - Child of Mine

This one actually had a much lower score at first. It took me quite a few listens to finally come around to this. I do like the touches of prog rock mixed with the alternative/hard rock base. The vocals were pretty good. The rest of the band sounded kind of generic, but they held the song up reasonably well. I will definitely check out the rest of the album to see if I like the rest of it more.

7/10

Home
(Netherlands) Eefje de Visser - Sheef

This has a very chillwave vibe to it. I like her voice. I think I had a hard time connecting with it, because I don't understand a word of Dutch (at least I'm pretty sure it's Dutch, correct me if I'm wrong). This normally wouldn't be a problem for me in music, but I think in this style of song the listener needs an understanding of the lyrics and he/she is listening to it. Now none of this is the fault of the song, I just don't speak Dutch, so my fault.

7/10

Kattoelox
Enya - Even In the Shadows

This song seems to not know when to stop. The vocals get pretty repetitive near the end. Enya has a nice voice and the ambient, chilled out song structure was nice and makes this a decent song for background listening while relaxing. A stronger song than your last round pick, so at least you are on the upswing. ;)

6.5/10

jingle.boy
(USA) Roswell Six - Need

Not digging the vocal style here at all. The rasp in here voice is a little much, imo. In fact, after about 4 listens I started skipping this song on the playlist, because I disliked the vocals so much.  The music is a little on the boring side as well, although the fretless bass in parts is pretty cool. The guitar solo in the outro was pretty cool too, except the vocals kept interrupting it. Sorry Jingle, you swung and missed on this one.

4/10

Current Standings
Soupytwist - 18
Train - 17
Tomislav - 16.5
TAC - 16
Sacul - 15
Parama - 15
TwoSuitsLuke - 15
Home - 14.5
Evermind - 14.5
Jingle - 13
Elite - 13
Kattoelox - 12
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:36:34 AM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Go ahead and send for Round 3, The Instrumental Round!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Going out of this roulette in flames  :hat will send tomorrow!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
An Improvement Was Made

time to send some crap

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
The new album is particularly heavy on the calmer/ethereal sections, I think you'll like it. Especially the single "Aftermath" which is basically a dreamy post-rock tune. Sending R3 soon
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

I think I said it in PM, Goldfrapp tried many different genres, from trip-hop to synthpop to chamber pop, I'm sure you'll find something.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
What are your favourite Dream Theater instrumentals? This answer is vital to my song-picking-strategy for every host :corn

EDIT: Fuck it, sending my favourite band discovery of 2018
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:57:40 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
my favorite dream theater instrumental is the silent man

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I had a sneaking suspicion that mine was the song you referenced as being in last place - it's kinda hit or miss... not much middle ground for those I've introduced this album to.  Them's tastes for ya!  Ya just never know what's going to click and what's not.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Golden Caves are from The Netherlands as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
No shame losing to Glory Box, fantastic track  :heart . But yeah check that Saltillo record, is quite varied and has lots of cello.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nice, I’ll take the 8! Will send later today after work.  Still trying to narrow it down.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent.  Puppies... are you going to post ratings?

• DTF.org Member
Sent.  Puppies... are you going to post ratings?
I've been updating them in the OP, but I can add them to the results post as well.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
First, I want to say that my ranking of your album is not in any way payback  :lol and now that I finished mine, expect my submission sometime today. I'm crossing my fingers that you'll actually like this one  :rollin

• DTF.org Member
First, I want to say that my ranking of your album is not in any way payback  :lol and now that I finished mine, expect my submission sometime today. I'm crossing my fingers that you'll actually like this one  :rollin
It's cool, you don't seem like the vindictive type that is out for revenge  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid