Poll

EP round for Round 9?

Give it to me baby!
8 (61.5%)
Get back witch!
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Puppies_On_Acid's Gentlemen's Roulette! Epilogue  (Read 81099 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
I think a couple of you may be disappointed in the scores  :corn :biggrin: :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i know i will be

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh brother. You'll be disappointed you didn't win by as much as you thought.  :\
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
Oh brother. You'll be disappointed you didn't win by as much as you thought.  :\
:rollin maybe........... :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
nah i didn't win  :corn

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I was throwing up a personal Hail Mary anyway.

Of course, it could be that TAC is going to be disappointed with Evermind's score. :neverusethis:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Evermind sent the best submission of the entire roulette.

What I wouldn't give to hear that album for the first time again. I remember buying the tape (which is fogey speak that only J Boy would know) and put it in the deck as soon as I left the record store.  I got halfway through I'm Alive, and I literally pulled over into a nearby park and just sat in my car and listened. Mind blown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member

I was throwing up a personal Hail Mary anyway.

Of course, it could be that TAC is going to be disappointed with Evermind's score. :neverusethis:
I'm actually curious what the other album you were thinking of sending was. I think you said you had two you were considering.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 05:26:38 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Damnations Day - A World Awakens. Another Australian Prog-metal gem, since Teramaze scored so well in round 1.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
I have four of the six write ups finished. I'm taking a break from typing. I may or may not finish the other two tonight.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
exciting times!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• DTF.org Member
Just one more write up to go, but it's going to have to wait until tomorrow.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
dies irl

glad i have tomorrow off  :lol

• DTF.org Member
Working on the last write up now. Should have results up within the next hour or so.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Very excited to get my 11/20 and well-deserved last place for sending 80s power metal. Let me just say I really don't expect much from this round. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Very excited to get my 11/20 and well-deserved last place for sending 80s power metal. Let me just say I really don't expect much from this round. :lol

I'm with ya... considering the K-9 asked what my other album submission might have been, I've got a future paycheque that says Absence of Empathy did not hit the mark... or didn't even hit the board at all.

• DTF.org Member
Here it is. The final results. Thanks everyone for playing. I have received so much awesome music that I will definitely be looking in to more......as soon as I catch up on my 2018 albums. I had to break up the extra point for favorite song again. Couldn't decide between 2 songs... so half a point for Evermind and Tomislav. Also had to split the post because I surpassed the 20000 character limit per post.... :yeahright
Album Round Results!

Helloween
Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I
Evermind

I've heard Helloween before, but never really listened to an entire album (with the exception of maybe Gambling with the Devil).

The intro song is pretty cool, and it leads right in to I'm Alive. That's a hell of a riff to start the album off. Oh and look who makes yet another appearance in my roulette, Michael Kiske, the John Arch wannabe :D But seriously of all the Michael Kiske stuff I've heard this roulette, this is the best. That guitar bit starting at about 1:36 is fire! This whole song just kicks ass. A little time isn't quite as ass kicking as I'm Alive, but it's a great follow up track, more of a slow burner, with some great vocals, including the straight out of the 80's call and response chorus, which is actually quite enjoyable. Another great guitar solo followed by an interesting break down section starting at about 2:30 in. Twilight of the Gods kicks in with a sweet guitar lick and some fairly cheesy spoken word, but at least it's brief. I think the bass guitar steals the show in this song. I love the way the production allows for all of the instruments to breathe and be heard. I miss albums that are produced this way. Most stuff is so brick-walled these days. There's also some cool harmonized guitar parts in the second half as well as another awesome solo. A Tale that Wasn't Right is probably one of the weaker songs here. There's some questionable vocal melodies in quieter parts, but overall it's still a pretty good song. Michael Kiske's upper register here is better than any of the other Michael Kiske submissions that were sent earlier in the roulette. Future World keeps the album moving along with some cheesy 80's heavy/power metal, kind of reminds me a little of 80's Judas Priest, sort of. The verses are probably the weakest part of the song, they are a little awkward sounding. Then the weird slapped in sound effects in the second half are really out of place to me. The obvious star of the show is next in Halloween. It's epic, it has some of the tastiest riffs of the whole roulette, it has face melting solos, it makes me want to bang my head. I mean seriously, that opening riffs right before the first verse is so awesome. How can you not bang your head to that. I really enjoy Ingo Schwichtenberg's drumming here. He really brings some great energy to this song. I was sad to hear he committed suicide when I was looking him up to see what's he's done recently. The bass player also stands out in the middle instrumental section. I like how everyone gets a chance to shine on this song.

Everything on this album is on point. The song writing, the melodies, the instrumentation, the singing. There's a ton of raw energy. They must have been fun to see live back in their heyday. It may have a few flaws, but it's still an amazing album. I now need to check out the rest of the Helloween discography.

Favorite Song: Halloween
Worst Song: Future World
Score - 17.5 + .5 = 18

Daydream XI
The Grand Disguise
TAC

More Brazilian metal. This time in the Power/Prog flavor. I typically love metal from Brazil. So how does this compare to the other Brazilian metal I've got in this roulette?

The intro to Keeping the Dream Alive is awesome, but it quickly drops in to a fairly standard power/prog verse/chorus/verse song. That's the only thing keeping this song from being amazing. Everything is played well. Nothing to complain about. I do like the Iron Maiden-esque galloping drum and guitar rhythm. The rest of the album kind of follows this same formula, sometimes to greater success and sometimes not so much. Although there are quite a few standout moments throughout the album though. First is the vocalist. He has a fairly powerful voice reminding me at times of Russell Allen, except he doesn't go quite as deep or growly, mixed with some Dio. He hits some nice highs and has a clear voice that is easy to understand the lyrics. I really like this vocalist. He really seems well suited for metal like this. Like Darkness Rules the Night has a cool guitar solo that flows in to a cool little heavy instrumental break before the song ends. Watch me rise is a cool speedy power metal song, with some awesome melodic guitar solos. The Guts of Hell kind of falls in to some modern metal trappings with super low tuned chugging guitars that, for me, don't work well in this style of music. The singer does his best modern Russell Allen impression on this song. The second half of the song doesn't really work for me at all. It's not entirely un-listenable, but it isn't the best song on the album, not by a long shot. The next song is a huge contrast and almost ruins the flow of the album with the almost ballad like The Age of Sadness. This song really shows how this guys voice can really run the full gamut, he has great range. I also like the use of keyboards in this song, and actually I like the keyboard use throughout the whole album. There isn't any Jordan Rudess style noodly keyboard solo's. The keys are used mostly as a background to add another layer to the song or for atmosphere (what keyboards are supposed to do, in my opinion). Wings of Destruction is another fairly standard power/prog number, although with another cool melodic guitar solo. I really like the way the guitarist chooses his notes when soloing. I don't much care for the riffing as much though. There's also a cool little bass solo here as well. Overall the bass is noticeable on the whole album, with a few standout moments/solos. I wish the bass had a bit of a meatier tone though. The next 4 songs all follow a similar pattern with some random standout moments in each. With Phoenix probably being the best of the bunch and maybe even the second best song on the album and Alone being a ballad. The last track, The Grand Disguise, is a whole other beast though. This kind of reminds of the epics from Symphony X (Divine Wings of Tragedy and The Odyssey). It has a lot of the same vibe. It goes through many different moods and intensities. This is easily the best song writing on the whole album and my favorite song on the album. There's so many cool things going on here.

Overall this album is basically awesome with one clunker and few amazing songs including an epic 23 minute song. This album continues the trend of amazing Brazilian metal bands. I look forward to giving their other material a listen. I have to say the real star of this show is definitely the vocalist, even though everyone else in the band does their jobs well. Another great submission from you TAC.

Favorite song: The Grand Disguise
Worst song: The Guts of Hell
Score - 17

Saor
Aura
Tomislav

Celtic influenced Atmospheric Pagan Black Metal....On paper this should be right up my alley. Plus the album cover is awesome.

This starts off with Children of the Mist. Right off the bat I love the atmosphere this evokes, kind of murky and foggy. I also love the way that the guitars, bass, and drums kind of serve as a base for the string instruments, the tin-whistle (which is fairly prominent throughout the album, more on this later), and the echo-y vocals (which I like). The middle section where it breaks down and then slowly builds up again is amazingly well done. From about the 9 minute mark on the song is just pure bliss to listen to. This song is about as perfect as it gets in the Atmospheric Black Metal world. Aura then kicks in with some ethereal choir-like vocals. It's peaceful and beautiful. It transitions in to a nice guitar melody along with the drums that kick in. Then the problems start to rear their ugly head. The tin-whistle comes in again which is nice, but I feel like this sounds exactly like the tin-whistle section in the first song. The strings that are layered in with the guitars is also eerily similar. The drum patterns also seem similar. Now don't get me wrong, none of this sounds bad, but with the exception of how the song starts, this seems like a carbon copy of the first song....Where the song does differentiate itself a bit is with the minimalist piano and then the nice acoustic interlude in the second half that builds up to another nice outro, although not as nice as Children of the Mist. The Awakening has a nice acoustic intro with a slathering of violins and some tribal-like drums. It's a pretty cool way to start the song. Ah there's those same drum patterns again....There's that Tin Whistle again (still samey sounding)....but this time it's accompanied by an awesome epic choir vocal part. The second half does have some different and awesome drum parts. Farewell is probably the most different sounding song on here, at least the intro. It starts off with a bit of a Post-Punk drum beat and guitar riff, not unlike something you would hear from Amesoeurs, but then that same Tin Whistle melody comes in again. This album is getting derivative. Pillars of the Earth has another similar intro to the rest of the songs, with acoustic guitars and tribal drums, only this time there's some electric guitar and piano in there as well. The middle section of this song shows a lot more variety than the middle 3 songs. Where Aura, The Awakening, and Farewell all felt very derivative to Children of the Mist, I feel Pillars of the Earth can stand on its own as an original song. Even this middle section where they break it down incorporates some new ideas with a bit of a jazzy lounge feel which goes in to a doomy section with more of the (admittedly similar) tin-whistle. This is the only thing keeping this song from being as good as Children of the Mist. The outro, though, is amazing and a great way to end the album.

Overall this album is pretty amazing, but the middle section becomes more and more derivative of itself, but it redeems itself in the end. Not a perfect album. This band really seems like a love child of Moonsorrow and Agalloch that was then raised by Drudkh and accidentally dropped on its head a couple of times.... It could have been a recipe for greatness, but they will have to settle for merely good.

Favorite song: Children of the Mist
Worst song: Farewell
Score - 16.4 + .5 = 16.9

aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
East of the Wall
The Apologist
Parama

I have to admit this album took a while to get in to. At first I thought it was nothing special, nothing really stood out and I was ready to tell you your favorite album is boring. It's a grower, though, and quite a roller coaster ride. There's a plethora of styles and influences interspersed throughout this album. I hear Between the Buried and Me, hints of Fall of Troy, some Isis, bits of Cult of Luna, Oceansize, Tool, and even some influences of some of the more jazzy technical death metal bands. They seem to mix all these genres and influences to make a sound that is all their own though. It doesn't really sound like anything else out there.

The album starts with Naif and immediately it's apparent that the bass is very prominent, front and center in the mix. This song basically serves to set the tone for the rest of the album. It flows right in to Linear Failure. It should be noted that each song flows seamlessly to the next. I like this. I'm not entirely sure if this is a concept album, I haven't looked in to the lyrics much, but the flow is fantastic. I wish more bands would do this. There's a cool little jazzy guitar solo in the middle of this song. My Favorite Society Guy is next, which is a cool little interlude with some nice pounding drums and bass to make a cool rhythm leading in to False Build. This song has a nice buildup to a groovy drum beat in the middle. I need to bring up the bass again. It has that thick dirty tone, similar to what Geddy Lee used in the later Rush albums. I love that tone. There are times where I could imagine Geddy playing these bass licks. This guy is good (not as good as Geddy though, lets just get that out of the way :D) and he works well with the drummer to lay a nice foundation for each song. Precious Memories is entirely instrumental with some nice guitar melodies and solos. It leads nicely in to the title track, The Apologist, which starts off as a beautifully moody piece. This has some of my favorite vocals on the whole album. (Speaking of the vocals, they aren't the strongest part of this band. For instance, the harsh vocals seem a little forced and don't always work for me, but overall they are functional and don't drag the album down.) This song also ends in a similar fashion as it started. All the intensity leading up to it makes it stand out, in a good way, and it's a nice halfway point for the album. Running Tab of Sweetness picks up the pace again. The drummer really finds a way to kind of play off something either the guitarist or bass player is doing and make it sound awesome here and throughout the album. Horseback Riding in a Bicycle World (which is a cool track name) is another cool little instrumental. This leads to A Functional Tumor. For some reason this song reminds me of Coheed and Cambria in the beginning (minus the vocal style). I think it's the guitar tone and melodies. Overall this song isn't the best on the album, but it's short, so it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Nurser of Small hurts has some interesting bass lines and spacey guitar riffing and melodies, which all seems to serve as a segue to the final two tracks on the album. Whiskey Sipper has some good ideas, but goes on slightly too long. So while it's still a fairly strong track, it probably could have been better. The finale Underachiever is anything but an underachiever. It goes through some awesome changes and may be the most technical song on the whole album. It has this controlled chaos about it. There also seems to be some subtle horns at the end too. Cool!

To conclude, I'm not sure how this band passed under my radar. They also have 3 other albums for me to check out. So I have some catching up to do. Overall this album is great. There are a few little issues I have with it. The aforementioned issues I have with the vocals and a couple of songs need some fat trimmed and don't really live up to the standards of the rest of the album. And to think this album started at the bottom of all the albums I received for this round....

Favorite Song: The Apologist
Worst Song: A Functional Tumor
Score - 16.8

Greyhaven
Empty Black
Train

I wasn't sure what to expect from this album, since I had never heard of this band before. I usually enjoy Metal-core infused Post-Hardcore. So how does it stack up?

First thing I noticed after the first listen was the vocals. This guy reminds me of the original vocalist from The Human Abstract at times, just quite a bit rougher around the edges and not as much emotion in his cleans. The music has a heavier more aggressive bite to it though. Sweet Machine starts it off decently enough. Not a fantastic song, but nothing to really complain about. Blemish starts off pretty cool, but starting with this song the vocalist starts doing this weird whiny/sort-of-falsetto/breathy thing with his voice occasionally that makes me cringe every time I hear it. This is also where some of the obvious Sikth influence comes through as well (it's just not executed well). Echo & Dust Pt.1 has some really heavy Human Abstractness to it. I really like this song. I like the back and forth between the heavy sections and the clean sections and the clean vocals are the highest quality on the whole album here. Mortality Rate sees a drop off in quality. It seems a fairly standard run of the mill song for this style, with more of the annoying clean vocals. Ten Dogs - Red Heaven and White Lighters is much better. Better vocals, better riffs, better melodies. That drum pattern in White Lighters is also really cool. Kappa (River Child) and Day is Gone are both pretty inconsistent for me. The opening riff in Kappa is cool and the music is neat throughout, but the vocals get in the way of the song again. Especially at the end. Then Day is Gone is pretty much the same although there are some better vocals in parts of this song. The second half of this song sounds like something The Human Abstract would have done. The feedback at the end is unnecessary (I will never understand why bands do this). Broadcast Network tries to do some interesting things, but ultimately is fairly forgettable. Echo & Dust Pt.2 is a really good album closer.

This album is kind of a cock-tease. It has some really good songs and then some rather bad songs. Both the Echo & Dust tracks really show what this band is capable of if they focused their sound. The inconsistency really killed this album. It could have been so much better. Songs like Blemish, Mortality Rate, and Broadcast Network drag it down. Perhaps their next album will be better.

Favorite song: Echo & Dust Pt.1 and 2
Worst song: Mortality Rate
Score - 13.5

Frameshift
An Absence of Empathy
Jingle

I went in to this thinking I would love this. After the first listen I thought maybe I need a couple listens to really let everything sink in. The more I listened, the more I realized that this is just a fairly mediocre album. I had heard the first Frameshift album years ago (the one with James LaBrie) and remember liking it somewhat. This album doesn't have the same effect though. I'm not sure if it's any one thing. My immediate reaction was to blame Sebastian Bach's vocals (which I don't really care for), but he isn't the sole problem. On the other hand there are some cool bits here and there.

It starts off with a pretty cool guitar riff in Human Grain Part 1, but the album becomes kind of monotonous and the songs all kind of start to blend together and not really do anything that stands out from one song to the next. Sure there are some cool guitar solos, but most of them seem to kind of be tacked on for the sake of having a guitar solo. Although the guitar solo in Just One More is pretty good. This song also reminds me of FWX era Fates Warning a bit. Just not as good.... The song I Killed You seems like it's a pivotal song as far as the story of the album goes, but it lacks any kind of intensity or power or emotion in any aspect (with the exception of the short bit with harsh(ish) vocals). The vocals seem lackluster and uninspired. The music feels lazy. Then the split vocal lines are just annoying and awkward. I found myself wanting to skip this song after a couple of times through the album. And the song goes on for 9 minutes. This Is Gonna Hurt is another song that I wanted to skip after a couple listens, the vocals kind of ruin it a bit for me. Push the Button has a really cool intro. I like the build up of adding instruments until it breaks in to the meat of the song. Unfortunately I don't really like the call and response vocals very much, but the music is pretty cool throughout the song. The rest of the album kind of follows the same patterns; cool riff, awkward vocal melody/line/lyric, nice guitar solo, boring instrumentation, cool organ sounding synths, etc etc. Like, In An Empty Room is just kind of awkward throughout, Outcast is just kind of there, Blade has a really cool tribal-like intro and perhaps some of my favorite vocals on the whole album, and then there's When I Look Into My Eyes....This song is completely ruined by the extremely annoying ear piercing sound effects throughout the song, especially during the chorus.

So to sum up, this album does have slightly more good than bad, but I don't think this is an album I will revisit in the future. Maybe a few songs here and there. And it may seem like I hated the vocals entirely (not quite), but I do think Sebastian Bach is a talented vocalist, I just don't really like his tone and I think his voice is suited for other styles of music and perhaps his voice wasn't used properly here. Sorry Jingle this was your second big miss in the roulette.

Favorite Song: Blade
Worst Song: When I Look Into My Eyes
Score - 11.3

Final Scores!
Parama - 6, 9, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9.5, 9, 9.5, 21.7, 16.8 (105.5)
Evermind - 7.5, 7, 8, 7.5, 9.5, 7.5, 7.5, 8.5, 23, 18 (104)
Tomislav - 7, 9.5, 8.5, 9, 7, 9.5, 7.5, 9, 19, 16.9 (102.9)
TAC - 8, 8, 8.5, 6.5, 6.5, 9.5, 9.5, 9, 19.9, 17 (102.4)
Train of Naught - 9.5, 7.5, 9, 9, 5.5, 8, 9, 5, 19.9, 13.5 (95.9)
Jingle.boy - 9, 4, 8, 8, 9, 9, 8, 7.5, 20.7, 11.3 (94.5)
Kattoelox - 5.5, 6.5, 8, 10, 9, 9, 6.5, 7, 20.3 (81.8)
Home - 7.5, 7, 7, 7, 7.5, 8.5, 3, 8.5, 17.9 (73.9)
Soupytwist - 8, 10, 7, 8.5, 4, 7.5, 8.5, 5.5 (59)
TwoSuitsLuke - 6, 9, 5.5, 7.5, 7.5 (35.5)
Sacul - 7, 8, 7, 7, 5 (34)
Elite - 6, 7, 6, 5, 9.5 (33.5)

Congrats to Parama on the roulette win!!!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not bad for a fogey!!! Cracked the century mark!  :metal :metal :metal

Great choice Evermind and appripriate scoring, Pup. You have to remember that Kiske was 18 or 19 when that album was recorded.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Congrats to me for finishing last!!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
See, even winning the round and getting half a point for favourite song wasn't enough to overcome that 2.8 points gap, as I said. But I'm glad you liked Keeper pt. 1, that's a fantastic album indeed. I started off weak but finished strong.

Congrats Parama, nice job Tomi and Tim cracking the 100. That was a fun roulette!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
we did it bois  :metal

also yeah it's definitely a grower, my experience with it was that i liked it at first & didn't think too terribly much of it and then like a month later i randomly checked it out again and it turns out i loved it? and spun it like, a dozen times in a week? so yeah

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
also yeah it's definitely a grower, my experience with it was that i liked it at first & didn't think too terribly much of it and then like a month later i randomly checked it out again and it turns out i loved it? and spun it like, a dozen times in a week? so yeah

this is pretty close to my story with The Apologist
Squ

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Actually I'm just really happy Helloween won the round. This is well-deserved. Doesn't matter I didn't win. These results bring me joy. :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
also congrats we have the exact same favorite and least favorite tracks on the album  :lol
i'd honestly call the album a perfect 10/10 if a functional tumor wasn't such a non-event. it's not bad at all but it's so vanilla compared to the rest of the album

and yeah the bass tone is s i c k
i actually think the bass tone is even better on their previous album ressentiment, but that one is a bit inconsistent in terms of quality (still has some killer stuff though)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
That Helloween album rules but Gambling is soooo much better in my opinion, easily their #1 album. Worth checking out.

East of the Wall's album was easily the worst in my whole roulette  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
you just weren't the right audience for it tbh  :P
but i also had literally nothing to lose

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
My own personal opinion of Absence of Empathy is about 180o from yours (it placed #4 in my Top 50v2), but them's tastes for ya!  It's all good.  I was hoping to go for a diverse and somewhat eclectic set of prog-metal tunes... I have now idea how these songs sound like they blend together - they all have a very unique and distinctive approach and style imo.  But I can certainly see how they don't appeal to everyone.

No matter, I wasn't getting a sniff of the top of the leaderboard, so I took a chance with this one. 

#swing&amiss

Nice to see Daydream XI get some love - not enough exposure for them around here.   :tup

Well run roulette Pups.  11.3/20; would play again.   :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Broadcast Network and Blemish are both among my favourites :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies_On_Acid's Gentlemen's Roulette! Epilogue
« Reply #1605 on: September 03, 2018, 12:15:54 PM »
Figured I would do a little follow up on this roulette. Especially since my next roulette should be starting within the next month. I have to thank you all for introducing me to a ton of new music. Some bands I had heard of before, but either didn't get around to investigating further or didn't like what I had heard enough to bother. A few of the bands I had never heard of before. Which is fairly rare for me. I'm pretty well versed in most genres of music.

While I am thankful, my wallet hates you all. Below is a list of all the albums I bought because of this roulette:

Rivers of Nihil - The Silent Life
Teramaze - Her Halo, Esoteric Symbolism, Anhedonia
dEUS - Keep You Close, Pocket Revolution, Best Case Scenario
Castleway - The Hunt
Bjorn Riis - Forever Comes to an End, Lullabies In a Car Crash
First Aid Kit - Ruins
Goldfrapp - Tales of Us
Portishead - Dummy
Esben & the Witch - A New Nature
Saltillo - Ganglion
Golden Caves - Collision
Three Trapped Tigers - Silent Earthling
The Minerva Conduct - The Minerva Conduct
Dimension Act - Manifestation of Progress
Tycho - Awake
Giles Corey - Giles Corey (I also just now realized that Giles Corey is one of the guys in Have a Nice Life)
Beach House - Bloom, Teen Dream, 7
Spirit of the West - Save this House, Labour Day
Vanaheim - The House Spirit
Slushii - Brain Freeze
Epysode - Obsessions, Fantasmagoria
Igorrr - Savage Sinusoid
Venenum - Trance of Death
Lor - In Forgotten Sleep
Aquaria - Luxaeterna, Shambala
Elder - Lore
Hibria - Defying the Rules
Khonsu - Anomalia, The Xun Protectorate
Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology
Alestorm - Back Through Time
Warrant - Dog Eat Dog
Testament - Dark Roots of the Earth, The Formation of Damnation, The Gathering, Practice What You Preach, The New Order, The Legacy
So Hideous - Laurestine
Absolute Priority - Hunter
Mark Knopfler - Privateering
Olafur Arnalds - For Now I Am Winter
Low Roar - Low Roar
Kingcrow - Phlegethon
Lords of Black - II, Icons of the New Days
Lorenguard - Eve of Corruption
Falconer - Among Beggars and Thieves, Northwind, Chapters From the Vale Forlorn, Falconer
Power Quest - Magic Never Dies, Sixth Dimension
Aenaon - Hypnosophy
Cryptodira - The Devil's Despair
Black Peaks - Statues
Amendfoil - Empyrean & Ophidian
Affinity - Animation
Thy Light - Suici.De.Pression
TotalSelfHatred - TotalSelfHatred
The Family Crest - The whole discography
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1606 on: September 03, 2018, 01:28:04 PM »
Goldfrapp - Tales of Us
Portishead - Dummy
Tycho - Awake
Giles Corey - Giles Corey (I also just now realized that Giles Corey is one of the guys in Have a Nice Life)
Igorrr - Savage Sinusoid
Olafur Arnalds - For Now I Am Winter
Good stuff  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1607 on: September 03, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »
nice, a lot of stuff i sent  :metal

did ya check out the spectral lore album too at least? i know it's kinda rare to get now but it's fantastic

also if you wanna check out thrice some more i definitely recommend Beggars and Vhiessu
a lack of The Apologist on that list also makes me a bit sad but ehh  :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1608 on: September 03, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »
You magnificent bastard! You bought both Aquaria albums! I'm so happy  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1609 on: September 03, 2018, 02:52:53 PM »
Jesus, I thought I bought a lot at 11 albums, but this list trumps everything :lol
Squ