Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 55464 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2020, 01:52:43 PM »
I was hoping to take my husband to London and Paris this summer, but I'm concerned about purchasing such expensive plane tickets with the Covid concerns going around the globe.
I'm in a similar situation, but I think Covid will either have moved on by then, or turned us all into zombies. Either way I'm not too worried. At the same time, those concerns might actually make travel more affordable. I wouldn't be surprised if a global downtick, which were certainly likely to see, creates a need for travel incentives. And best of all, Europe with a smaller number of American gawkers would be wonderful.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2020, 07:23:44 PM »
I was hoping to take my husband to London and Paris this summer, but I'm concerned about purchasing such expensive plane tickets with the Covid concerns going around the globe.
I'm in a similar situation, but I think Covid will either have moved on by then, or turned us all into zombies. Either way I'm not too worried. At the same time, those concerns might actually make travel more affordable. I wouldn't be surprised if a global downtick, which were certainly likely to see, creates a need for travel incentives. And best of all, Europe with a smaller number of American gawkers would be wonderful.

I checked flight prices a few days ago and didn't see a difference. However, several large corporations are now cancelling all international travel for employees. So I can see this making a big impact.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2020, 07:35:14 PM »
Yup, all international travel for my job is cancelled and all domestic flights need to be approved by C level people or is otherwise cancelled

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #283 on: March 02, 2020, 07:50:09 PM »
We have a trip to Italy planned for this summer. :facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2020, 09:34:26 PM »
We have a trip to Italy planned for this summer. :facepalm:

We had a trip to South Korea planned for this summer. :lol Luckily we didn't buy any tickets yet as I'm fairly sure I'm not going there.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #285 on: March 03, 2020, 06:11:54 AM »
I think it's probably best for everyone to not plan any major travel over the next few months. We've got some camping trips planned for the summer which I'm not too concerned about, but I'm waiting to book the bigger road trip I was planning for the summer to see how things shake out. Though on the other hand, some touristy destinations may be less busy than normal.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: March 03, 2020, 06:33:14 AM »
Mrs. P and I have a Mediterranean cruise planned (and paid) for 26 days in May. Yesterday we got an email from Viking Cruise Lines that they have temporarily changed their cancellation policy to allow guests to cancel their trips within 24 hours of departure. The company will provide vouchers of equal value on any of their products that are good for 24 months from cancellation. Wow, what a company!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: March 03, 2020, 06:42:08 AM »
Mrs. P and I have a Mediterranean cruise planned (and paid) for 26 days in May. Yesterday we got an email from Viking Cruise Lines that they have temporarily changed their cancellation policy to allow guests to cancel their trips within 24 hours of departure. The company will provide vouchers of equal value on any of their products that are good for 24 months from cancellation. Wow, what a company!

I emailed Alitalia last Thursday and still haven't gotten a response.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #288 on: March 03, 2020, 06:44:33 AM »
Whenever Alitalia is in the local news, it's because of the problems it has and how (if / when / somehow) it could be saved from disappearing. I never even flew with Alitalia myself. Good luck getting answers.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #289 on: March 03, 2020, 06:53:15 AM »
I have a west coast trip plan for June, landing in Seattle and driving down to LA. A little worried about Seattle but will see how things play out, June is still 3 months away.

Also, I'm going to a conference in 2 weeks (in Baltimore), not too worry about it but will take precaution.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #290 on: April 07, 2020, 07:28:00 AM »
Anyone making any travel plans for the summer? I'd love to have a long weekend getaway with my wife toward the end of summer before our baby comes, but obviously I have no idea if it will be feasible given the state of things. I suppose I can always book something and cancel if necessary. Anyone else being optimistic and planning travel?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #291 on: April 07, 2020, 07:34:18 AM »
I was still being hopeful about my June Trip, but I will need to cancel or reschedule soon.

I also have plans for July 4th weekend. Not sure what will happen with that.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #292 on: April 07, 2020, 08:02:33 AM »
I do have a long weekend booked the first weekend of June just a couple hours from home in a cool little tiny home with my wife. I'm not terribly optimistic on that one, maybe I'll just reschedule that until August. I was planning to wait until May to make the call on that. I also have about 5 camping trips planned over the course of the summer and was planning on booking a couple more. I worry this is going to be a lost summer where we can't do much at all.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: April 07, 2020, 08:51:28 AM »
My flight to Jacksonville for a long Easter weekend was officially cancelled last weekend.  They don't give a cash refund, just a travel credit which pisses me off but then again I guess the airlines have no money.  I'm very hesitant to book anything right now, just too much uncertainty.  I still have my Atlanta flight and PTO scheduled for early September and maybe that will be my first travel of the year.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: April 13, 2020, 06:19:31 AM »
I've had plans that I'm slowly cancelling as the dates get near. I just had to cancel my trip to Toronto May 1. I called American and shockingly they gave me a refund and the entire call took less than 10 minutes.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2020, 07:23:13 AM »
We were supposed to fly to Cozumel for 3 weeks of diving on April 25.  We've rescheduled for Mid July and hoping for the best.  If it doesn't happen then we probably won't have a vacation this year due to hurricane season and Cozumel weather in general.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2020, 01:58:16 PM »
We would have landed in Vegas today and spending my first night of my week long Utah trip in Zion park. Sigh  :sad:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2020, 05:08:53 AM »
Last post in April? I'd swear I've read travelling discussions much later! probably it was something about Austria in the pictures thread...

Anyway, I'm going very close to Austria!!! it's holidays time for me, so for the next two weeks I phuck off  :metal

First I'm gonna reach my beloved mountains nearby Austria, you wanna use Val Pusteria or Pustertal for images search, and then I'm gonna head down in north / east of Italy to the town of Grado, basically an island connected to the land by a long and narrow strip, which is nearby Trieste (again, google images is your friend).

So for the next two weeks mountains, nature, good and fresh air, a bit of sea and a great town await me!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2020, 08:41:04 AM »
That sounds awesome, have a great time  :metal

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #299 on: August 30, 2020, 12:11:47 AM »
Just got back from a summer in Alaska. 'Twas the greatest. I've spent a decent bit of time in Paris, and would be happy to give some recs. I think I saw some posts about that.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #300 on: August 30, 2020, 03:29:10 AM »

Heading to Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario in about 2 hours. Backcountry camping for the next week. Canoeing, fishing, fire, relax. No phones, no humans. Just me and the girlfriend. (4L of vodka and some nice green coming along for the ride)  :yarr

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: August 30, 2020, 07:45:21 AM »
That sounds like a good time Spiritus. I hope the weather treats you well.

My wife and I just booked a week long stay at Sandal Grand St. Lucian resort. We've never done an all-inclusive before but prices are cheap so figured we'd give it a shot.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2020, 02:07:09 AM »
Aaaand I'm back! a little too much rain and clouds in the mountains for my taste but hey, that's what folk metal is there for, Wardruna didn't compose their music for sunny days  ;D

At the sea I was more lucky, sunny days on an "island" in the middle of a lagoon (I mean, there's a bridge and it takes just several KMs to get there but technically it's an island) which was very nice to tour through a bike.

For your Google Images searches:

Val Pusteria (the valley I was staying) (it mainly shows lakes I see)

Grado, Italy (to not confuse with other stuff because "grado" in italian means "degree", as in 360 degrees, least you find circles or something  :lol) - this is the town in the lagoon facing the Adriatic sea

Trieste (historical port on the Adriatic with mittleuropean influences, one of the most wonderful squares of Italy)

Caorle (saw on my way back, a little colored Venice not far from the actual Venice)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: September 15, 2020, 09:48:48 AM »
Sounds like a fantastic trip (minus the rain)

I've got a ton of vacation to burn still this year.  I'm thinking of doing a road trip to Maine.  Maybe do a loop type of drive along the eastern border up to Acadia National Park and then a drive down more western through Vermont and into Scranton PA to hit up a drive in concert on my way back.  Just toying with this idea now, but there's not a whole lot else to do these days since I'm not really looking to fly.  If anyone's got any tips or advice let me know

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #304 on: September 15, 2020, 09:51:58 AM »
I just spent a couple of days at the Cape. It felt great to get out of my house for a few days and do absolutely nothing of value.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #305 on: September 23, 2020, 12:01:39 PM »
I'm going on a 1157 mile road trip the week of Thanksgiving  :hat

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: October 14, 2020, 10:38:10 AM »
I'm going on a 1157 mile road trip the week of Thanksgiving  :hat

Enjoy.

Some stats from my road trip a couple weeks ago:

1372.7 miles driven, with 38.1mpg average while listening to 27 different albums (and occasionally just shuffling my library)

I also finished my video of "One Day in Acadia National Park" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCsC9NI91c

The top of the highest mountain along the US eastern seaboard:  :rollin no view, thanks weather!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #307 on: October 14, 2020, 01:51:56 PM »
The wife and I will be driving from Boston, MA to Atlanta, GA the week of Thanksgiving.  My son and grandkids live down there so we're doing it via car because I ain't going near any airports until this whole covid-19 bullshit is over. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2021, 06:25:52 AM »
Has anyone done an all-inclusive resort before? What was your experience? My wife and I booked a trip to Sandals in Jamaica a week before Christmas and I'm curious what the experience will be like. I get the impression that's it's like a cruise ship, except on the beach.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2021, 06:48:03 AM »
Has anyone done an all-inclusive resort before? What was your experience? My wife and I booked a trip to Sandals in Jamaica a week before Christmas and I'm curious what the experience will be like. I get the impression that's it's like a cruise ship, except on the beach.

Probably a fair comparison. We did a Couples resort in Jamaica, so probably very similar to what you'll experience. There is an event coordinator like on a cruise ship, so you can find things to do. We took a tennis lesson. Or go on excursions, just like a cruise ship. We went to the James Bond/White Bikini hike which was pretty fun. Make sure you bring water shoes. At Couples there is "naked island" which we didn't partake in. The people on the boat going to naked island were all double our age lol Then there are a handful of "restaurants" to choose from on the property. Then of course there is a gym, pools, and obviously the beach.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2021, 06:50:30 AM »
I've never done a cruise ship, but have been to plenty All-Inclusive resorts around the Caribbean.

I personally like them for the convenience of having everything you need in one place, and not have to worry about cash. I have yet to stay at a Sandals resort, but the other places I've went to, the buffet food is descent, plenty of options for everyone. The A La carte restaurants are better, but you will need to do reservation ahead of time (Usually the morning of or the day before). The drinks (If you do drink) are great if they are included. They might try to give you watered down drinks but you can always ask for more.

Make sure to look into activities and what's included. A lot of times you get Snorkeling, Kayak, and some other water activities included. There might be a few that are not included and you need to pay extra (parasailing, Jet skiing, etc). There are usually entertainment at night as well, like live concerts and what not.

The one thing for me, is that after day 4-5 I start to get bored, so I usually try to do it for 3-4 nights max.

Edit: Depending where you will be in Jamaica, the water could be very active, so I recommend snorkeling.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2021, 07:00:03 AM »
We are doing a Sandals in Jamaica for 5 days. I'm looking forward to some water activities, I grew up and spent most of my life in florida paddle boarding, snorkeling, etc.

We actually have some neighbors that go to a clothing option all-inclusive, I can't remember the name but they are older and they always seem to have a great time :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2021, 07:02:01 AM »
We took our go pro with the waterproof case and took some fun video with fish. They love to hang out by your feet for the stuff you kick up.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2021, 07:43:52 AM »
I don't think Sandals falls into this catagory but if you do a cheaper all inclusive the food and drinks most likely suck from my experience, but a nice one and you'll be happy.  Either way, the convenience is super nice especially on an island like Jamaica where you may not want to be out exploring the local area for food.

... I seriously need to start considering a vacation for myself.  I keep saying I want to go back to Aruba

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2021, 08:40:54 AM »
I've never been to Aruba but the few people that I know rave about it. Wasn't a wedding the last time you went?