Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 55765 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2019, 07:52:22 AM »
Norway is on my bucket list for the next, say, five years, if nothing drastic happens in my life or on the political scene, so we'll see.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2019, 08:53:56 AM »
Now that I've gotten used to seeing prices for flights and hotels and have a better idea of what is good value and what is not, I do want to consider going to Europe at some point within a year or two.  Doesn't matter when although I'm sure prices for hotels will be through the roof in the summertime, but I wouldn't mind wanting to see one big major rock festival there (whether it is Download, Graspop, Hellfest, etc.) in my lifetime even though I'm personally not a huge fan of open air festivals.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »
Now that I've gotten used to seeing prices for flights and hotels and have a better idea of what is good value and what is not, I do want to consider going to Europe at some point within a year or two.  Doesn't matter when although I'm sure prices for hotels will be through the roof in the summertime, but I wouldn't mind wanting to see one big major rock festival there (whether it is Download, Graspop, Hellfest, etc.) in my lifetime even though I'm personally not a huge fan of open air festivals.

Europe trips could be expensive or cheap, depending where you go. I went to Spain recently and was kicking myself afterwards because Dream Theater was playing in Barcelona while I was there.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2019, 09:24:58 AM »

I got a targetted ad for Download next year to buy tickets, I clicked and looked  :lol I soooo would love to go to one of those festivals, but it's a lot.  I was able to do Warped Tour AC festival this summer, it's only 2 days and had 25k people, but that's tiny compared to those in Europe.  Plus they camp on site, it's crazy and maybe a bit too much for me which sucks because I feel like it could be great.  I think I could only do it if I went with a group of people to share like a big tent or something.  I love going to concerts solo, but festivals I feel like might be really difficult and less fun going solo.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2019, 09:51:41 AM »
Two years ago, the high school marching band for the school my daughter now attends (she's just about to start her sophomore year) was invited to play in the London New Years Day Parade (January 1, 2018).  Apparently, the band "traveled well," so the company that helped organize the trip has been soliciting the band director to do another international trip, so the band boosters and director recently decided to explore the possibility of playing in a new year's day parade in Rome in 2021.  I'm pretty geeked at the possibility, but I'm not looking forward to all the fundraising that will be involved as well as the planning.  I'm coordinating the in-state trip for marching band championships this year, so I'll probably get roped into being involved with the international trip as well.

In the more immediate future, I'm thinking that next year will be the year I finally take my son to spring training in Arizona.  Anyone here done that and have recommendations?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
Norway is on my bucket list for the next, say, five years, if nothing drastic happens in my life or on the political scene, so we'll see.

What's your plan? My dream trip is making the round trip from Bergen back and forth from Cape North with the postal boat, the Hurtigruten, and stop in the various towns (top must see on the list: Bergen, Alesund, Trondheim, Tromso). As an alternative just visiting Bergen for a starting point would be nice.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2019, 03:44:45 AM »
I soooo would love to go to one of those festivals, but it's a lot.
If you look at festivals south of Germany, like the ones in Slovenia, Romania and the like, it doesn't cost as much, and the lineups are pretty much the same everywhere.

My problem with metal fests everywhere is the music  :lol If you really like or would really like to see every mainstream band across a wide variety of genres you'll have a blast, but... bands I like can get 45 mins tops, and then I'd be stuck watching the Sabatons, Arch Enemies and Dimmu Borgirs of the world as headliners. I know this doesn't sound too bad - and it looks great when you look at it from afar, but when you actually start considering the costs and the travel and the outdoor factor, and then look at one of these lineups, you generally won't feel like it's worth your money, unless you're really into the experience or it's a bucket list item. I'm mildly interested in seeing one at some point, but prog festivals that actually book bands I listen to are more my speed.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2019, 07:10:47 AM »

What's your plan? My dream trip is making the round trip from Bergen back and forth from Cape North with the postal boat, the Hurtigruten, and stop in the various towns (top must see on the list: Bergen, Alesund, Trondheim, Tromso). As an alternative just visiting Bergen for a starting point would be nice.

Haven't even begun developing the plan at this point. Bergen and Trondheim are definitely among the places I'd like to visit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2019, 07:35:09 AM »
I soooo would love to go to one of those festivals, but it's a lot.
If you look at festivals south of Germany, like the ones in Slovenia, Romania and the like, it doesn't cost as much, and the lineups are pretty much the same everywhere.

My problem with metal fests everywhere is the music  :lol If you really like or would really like to see every mainstream band across a wide variety of genres you'll have a blast, but... bands I like can get 45 mins tops, and then I'd be stuck watching the Sabatons, Arch Enemies and Dimmu Borgirs of the world as headliners. I know this doesn't sound too bad - and it looks great when you look at it from afar, but when you actually start considering the costs and the travel and the outdoor factor, and then look at one of these lineups, you generally won't feel like it's worth your money, unless you're really into the experience or it's a bucket list item. I'm mildly interested in seeing one at some point, but prog festivals that actually book bands I listen to are more my speed.

My "it's a lot" wasn't just about cost but the whole experience.  I watched a VLOG I think from Donnington about a guy camping and walking to a stage and back and so on and it seemed like a lot of effort.  I like most of the big bands and seeing bands I don't know is cool with me too, I watched like 10 different sets at Warped Tour of bands I didn't know and maybe 5 of those sets I became a fan of the band.  Plus downtime isn't so bad either to socialize at these events.  I don't really see myself traveling to south west Europe by myself either.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2019, 08:30:11 PM »
As far as hotel rooms, that's a matter of personal preference.  All I really care about is clean and quiet.  Pretty much anything above Motel 6 quality has wi-fi and TV, so that's not typically an issue.  In terms of quiet, if it's a high rise building, I go for a high floor (typically anything about four and you'll avoid most street noise).  If it's only 2-3 floors, then you need to read CURRENT reviews.  FWIW, I like hotels.com better than Expedia.

We always use Hampton Inns.

We looked at Norway and Sweden for a trip last summer. We ended up staying in the US though, albeit across the contry.

I got a targetted ad for Download next year to buy tickets, I clicked and looked  :lol I soooo would love to go to one of those festivals, but it's a lot.

We looked at going to see Iron Maiden at Donnington in 1992. My college roommate and I (we graduated in '90) actually sat down with a travel agent. My gf (I was engaged at the time) was like WTF'nF! :lol  It didn't happen. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »
Off to see Bruxelles (where I'm staying) and Bruges. See you next week!  :metal Belgium here I come!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2019, 06:01:56 PM »
 :metal enjoy!

Booked Aruba today for September.  My month off is looking very nice starting with Atlanta for ProgPower, Aruba to hit the beach, and party time in Vegas with a mini trip to Death Valley.  I may... squeeze a one night trip to Seattle in as well to see Incubus.  It's within my budget for the money that I've been saving, but I honestly wonder if my body can handle it all.  Not to mention when I get back to work, I have to go to Denver.  Also, all my flights were paid for by Chase credit card points saved, and my four nights in the Venetian in Vegas are paid for by IHG points.  Thank you work travel for helping fund my vacations.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2019, 07:28:02 PM »
Sounds like you have a fun September planned ahead  :metal enjoy

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2019, 02:13:43 PM »
Off to see Bruxelles (where I'm staying) and Bruges. See you next week!  :metal Belgium here I come!

...and now it's time to leave again, this time for south Italy and the white villages of Apulia - google Rodi Garganico, Peschici or Vieste to get an idea of where I'm going!

Bruxelles was cool, a very nice city with its Grand Place (central square) probably one of the most beautiful squares of all Europe. But Bruges is a jewel of its own, a magical place where every house, every road and every cobblestone is worth alone the visit. Amazing town that made me go "I already like it" 5 minutes after having arrived, "I already love it" after not even having been in the proper center, and that entered my list of favorite places ever after the visit.

I also had the luck of finding an obscenely good weather all the days - which ironically does not look good for south Italy. I spend some days in northern Europe and I sweat all the time, then I go to the south near the Mediterranean, and it looks I'll catch the rain for 2-3 days. Meh....

Still, a holiday it's an holiday so now it's time to leave for the sea and the iconic white harbor villages!  :metal

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2019, 02:48:39 PM »

...and now it's time to leave again, this time for south Italy and the white villages of Apulia - google Rodi Garganico, Peschici or Vieste to get an idea of where I'm going!

Bruxelles was cool, a very nice city with its Grand Place (central square) probably one of the most beautiful squares of all Europe. But Bruges is a jewel of its own, a magical place where every house, every road and every cobblestone is worth alone the visit. Amazing town that made me go "I already like it" 5 minutes after having arrived, "I already love it" after not even having been in the proper center, and that entered my list of favorite places ever after the visit.

I also had the luck of finding an obscenely good weather all the days - which ironically does not look good for south Italy. I spend some days in northern Europe and I sweat all the time, then I go to the south near the Mediterranean, and it looks I'll catch the rain for 2-3 days. Meh....

Still, a holiday it's an holiday so now it's time to leave for the sea and the iconic white harbor villages!  :metal

We only got to spend an afternoon in Bruges (around holiday time, so light snow on the ground and the Christmas arket was up), it was adorable, returning to spend 2-3 days there is on our to-do list.

But first...Aruba!  Two weeks, leaving on the 7th, we got a little place up by Malmok beach.  Should be great and is very badly needed.  Too bad the neighborhood will be ruined 10-13th  :biggrin:
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: August 30, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »
 :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: August 30, 2019, 03:03:42 PM »
Hey Cram, got an Aruba story you might appreciate. When I was in college for my Junior year, one of my suitemates was from Aruba. (He also lived a couple rooms down in my freshman dorm.)

Anyway, one day he comes in with a package from back home...a damn cereal box. But it was LOADED with weed, smothered by coffee grounds to throw the dogs off.

Pretty sure I took the next few days off from classes. :lol :hat
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: August 30, 2019, 09:59:21 PM »
 :rollin its a dutch island, makes sense also a good reason for me to go there. I feel like its the tropical version of amsterdam  :hat

Funny fact too, the hotel Im staying at is where my parents had their honeymoon almost 40 years ago  :metal :yarr

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2019, 08:25:58 PM »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2019, 06:35:20 AM »
I'm heading to Anaheim to Disneyland in a couple weeks for a work conference, which we are also turning into a family vacation and doing the whole Disney thing. Looking forward to it.

Anyone have any suggestions for family activities in the LA area that don't involve Hollywood stuff? I'm planning to do the tar pits because I think my kids will get a kick out of that, also going to the beach one day. Any other suggestions?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »
Well, I traveled somewhere the last couple of days and just got back yesterday. 

Tuesday night, as evening falls over Rock Lake:

Sunrise over Rock Lake yesterday morning:

I forget whether this is First Dinkey Lake or Second Dinkey:

Hiking out yesterday morning:

And my dude hiking out with me:

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »
Really nice pictures Bosk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2019, 10:52:37 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions for family activities in the LA area that don't involve Hollywood stuff? I'm planning to do the tar pits because I think my kids will get a kick out of that, also going to the beach one day. Any other suggestions?

The Aquarium of the Pacific and Shoreline Village in Long Beach would be pretty cool.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »
1h20m till we depart for the airport to head to the Netherlands. :D
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2019, 11:43:26 AM »
Awesome pics Bosk

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: September 07, 2019, 12:14:09 PM »
Awesome pics Bosk.

I just got back from Paris/London this trip and I'll upload some pictures for you guys to see. I also got a few pics of Fast and Furious 9 filming outside of our hotel.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2019, 01:35:36 PM »
1h20m till we depart for the airport to head to the Netherlands. :D

About 14 hours for me, and damn, I'm excited as hell. Been looking forward to this vacation for a while.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2019, 08:31:05 AM »
Just booked the 2020 Summer TACation!

The TACs are going to Rome!

Now if Indiscipline would answer his damn emails....

MirrorMask, you nearby, bro?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2019, 08:38:20 AM »
That sounds awesome TAC, my parents have been wanting to do a family Italy trip as long as I can remember, but it's expensive and a lot of walking which has never suited my mother's vacation desires, but there's been a lot of talk of trying to make it happen next year.  I'd love to go.

I did just get back from Aruba though, WOW did I absolutely love it there and was treated like a king with a free room upgrade.  My view from my balcony for 3 nights in paradise:

Next trip scheduled is Las Vegas on Saturday  :yarr

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »
That sounds awesome TAC, my parents have been wanting to do a family Italy trip as long as I can remember, but it's expensive and a lot of walking which has never suited my mother's vacation desires, but there's been a lot of talk of trying to make it happen next year.  I'd love to go.

If it happens next year, let me know. I'll tell you when we're going.

My oldest (special needs) son is graduating high school next Spring. yes graduating with a DIPLOMA, so we're very proud of him. He wants to see the Colisseum, so we're taking him.

My other son graduates the following year and he wants to go to Spain. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2019, 09:00:19 AM »
That's really awesome gift, and expensive

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »
Just booked the 2020 Summer TACation!

The TACs are going to Rome!

Now if Indiscipline would answer his damn emails....

MirrorMask, you nearby, bro?

Nope, since I'm in Milan!

Been to Rome several times, it's a beautiful city and really worth of 3000+ years of history and fame that goes along with it. It's not paradise on earth; you'll find a lot of traffic and on unlucky days the public transport won't live up to the reputation of a big european capital, and keep in mind already from now to always, always, ALWAYS and carefully check the menu and the prices of wherever you'll eat.

The greatest hits are all worthwhile, I can't think of anything that is famous but in reality is a waste of time; there's a lovely zone with "old countryside village" feel, Trastevere, which I absolutely advise, and also the "Quartiere Coppedè" has many beautiful houses that are not famous. For the rest as I said the famous stuff is all worthwhile so you'll have a blast. Depending on your preferences and how many days you'll have I suggest as well the Vatican museums, totally worth a day because basically they'll take most of it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2019, 09:59:05 AM »
Cool.

We had considered many options for the trip. We were going to book through our timeshare (Disney Vacation Club) but that only got us two hours away from Rome. So we considered renting a car and using that as our base, but in the end, we just decided to book in the city.
We're planning on a day trip or two pout of the city, and I believe we are within walking distance to the Vatican, and we are definitely planning on hitting that.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2019, 10:15:16 AM »
Yeah, even if you don't go to the museums, St. Peter's square itself and the basilica are awe inspiring, plus you get nearby Castel St. Angelo. Totally not to miss, as "well, d'uh, I know" as it sounds, the Coliseum and the nearby Imperial Fora (plus the Capitoline Hill just behind), the Trevi fountain which is really beautiful as it looks, just overcrowded any time of the year, every day, every moment, and one of the most beautiful squares of Europa, Piazza Navona, followed closely behind by the spanish square (Piazza di Spagna), which has a beautiful staircase topped by a nice church.

There's a lot more to see but a couple of days are enough to see all these "greatest hits" which are definitively not to be missed when in Rome!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2019, 10:17:17 AM »
Nice, I'll be in touch as we get closer.