Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 56825 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #1050 on: March 28, 2024, 08:43:29 AM »
Animal Kingdom was my favorite when I last went like 6 or so years ago.  Since then, they ahve the new Star Wars park?  Whenever I go again, I feel like that's where I'll want to check out. 

Haven't been to Universal since I was a kid and know much about it currently, but I'd like to go back there next time as well. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1051 on: March 28, 2024, 10:18:11 AM »
Rise Of The Resistance is a really cool experience.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1052 on: March 28, 2024, 10:41:54 AM »
It is indeed. That's at Hollywood Studios.

I'm not a big thrill ride person which is one of the reason I love Disney parks. There are very few rides too extreme for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1053 on: March 28, 2024, 10:45:34 AM »
Am I the only one that still looks forward to the monorail ride at Disney?  I feel like like seven again, when it pulls up (I went in '74 and it's one of the very few enduring memories of that visit, so there's that).

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1054 on: March 28, 2024, 10:51:13 AM »
Am I the only one that still looks forward to the monorail ride at Disney?  I feel like like seven again, when it pulls up (I went in '74 and it's one of the very few enduring memories of that visit, so there's that).
I enjoy the monorail. Everything about Diney turns me into a little kid and I didn't even go there until I was an adult.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1055 on: March 28, 2024, 11:05:13 AM »

Yeah for sure.  Like lord stated, it's part of the experience.

My gf and I have started trying to figure things out for our vacation this year.  Disney World came up as an idea, but seems unlikely that we do it this year.  I feel like I need a few more years to get to about 10 years between visits to make it worth it for me.  They just announced a 311 Red Rocks show and two days later, Dirty Heads play Red Rocks.  Last year we wanted to see those two bands back to back at Red ROcks and it didn't work out, but crazy enough, it looks like we have an opportunity to try and do it again this year.  I'm going to seriously look into it this weekend. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1056 on: March 28, 2024, 02:04:48 PM »

I don't think I've been on the monorail since the days of separate admission and ride tickets.  For some unfathomable reason, the monorail was an "E" ticket ride, so riding the monorail meant one less ride on Space Mountain or the Matterhorn.  And by the time they had done away with the ticket books, I had no interest in riding the monorail.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1057 on: March 28, 2024, 02:35:55 PM »
For Magic Kingdom you can either take the monorail or the boat to get to the main gate once you pass the ticket booth.

I like how each park is now somewhat reconfigured to have something appealing for each demograph. Magic Kingdom is still mostly aimed at the kids with a few things in there for adults. I like the revamp to Hollywood studios and all the Star Wars stuff. That whole area is great to just walk around. I couldn't go on the Resistance ride when I last went 4 years ago as it was a reservation system on a first come first serve basis. If we go to Disney again, that's the park I would prefer to go.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1058 on: March 28, 2024, 02:41:27 PM »
For Magic Kingdom you can either take the monorail or the boat to get to the main gate once you pass the ticket booth.

I like how each park is now somewhat reconfigured to have something appealing for each demograph. Magic Kingdom is still mostly aimed at the kids with a few things in there for adults. I like the revamp to Hollywood studios and all the Star Wars stuff. That whole area is great to just walk around. I couldn't go on the Resistance ride when I last went 4 years ago as it was a reservation system on a first come first serve basis. If we go to Disney again, that's the park I would prefer to go.

The Star Wars stuff is awesome.  I had a thrill walking through the Millennium Falcon, not going to lie. 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1059 on: March 28, 2024, 02:59:21 PM »
We just spent 3 days at Disney in Cali. Really need to plan a Florida trip.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4hMpkSLmfNh3bBDAnm9seEs6_jbAT4LLhf3fg0/?igsh=aTE2NHBiMHZrc2Q3

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1060 on: March 28, 2024, 07:48:14 PM »
I'm going to be in Orlando for a few days in May. Instead of flying out early on Friday, I'm debating flying home late and hitting up a Disney park for the day. Possibly with some coworkers, but maybe by myself. Given that I was just in Disneyland a few weeks ago, I can't decide which park I would prefer to do. My initial inclination is Magic Kingdom, but there isn't much there that wasn't in Dinseyland. I've never done most of Epcot (ive only been there for a few hours), so I'm thinking about that. It would obviously depend on what my coworkers would want if some of them come. Any strong opinions on which park would make the most sense?

I haven't spent a ton of time in the parks since I moved down here, but I've been to all of them at least once. Magic Kingdom to me wouldn't hold much appeal either solo or in an adults-only group. Hollywood Studios has the Star Wars area plus probably the best assortment of thrill rides. Animal Kingdom is great if you'd be into the safari and seeing some of the habitats they have set up and whatnot. Epcot is usually my first choice just for eating and drinking around the world, plus the Guardians of the Galaxy rollercoaster there is sick. If you really want to get rides in though, as Barto alluded to, Universal is probably your best bet.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: March 29, 2024, 06:32:44 AM »

Yea it's an amazing ride although I hear it's problematic.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1062 on: March 29, 2024, 07:16:40 AM »
I haven't spent a ton of time in the parks since I moved down here, but I've been to all of them at least once. Magic Kingdom to me wouldn't hold much appeal either solo or in an adults-only group. Hollywood Studios has the Star Wars area plus probably the best assortment of thrill rides. Animal Kingdom is great if you'd be into the safari and seeing some of the habitats they have set up and whatnot. Epcot is usually my first choice just for eating and drinking around the world, plus the Guardians of the Galaxy rollercoaster there is sick. If you really want to get rides in though, as Barto alluded to, Universal is probably your best bet.
Thanks for the insights. I'm not a thrill ride person, so I'm not really interested in Universal. While I'm sure there are plenty of rides I would go on, there would also be a significant portion I wouldn't. There are about 4 rides in all 4 Disney parks combined I won't go on. Eating and drinking around Epcot sounds fun to me. I suggested that to the one coworker I know for sure will join me, but he hasn't commented back. I love Magic Kingdom, but agree it's probably not the best for an adults only crowd.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1063 on: April 02, 2024, 07:27:21 PM »
Last year we went on several rides each day, without any Lightning Lane or whatever they call it. And we didn't even spend the whole day doing rides. We watched the parade and fireworks show, saw the Royal Theater show, and left the park for dinner both days. Our longest wait time might have been to get in to Royal Hall to meet the princesses. Which I wholly expect you to do if you ever make it here.

Fair enough. Sounds like it's not always so rough.

And I'll absolutely wait for the princess. I'll spend the wait time figuring out the most vulgar thing I can think of to say to her so-as to really, really earn my lifetime ban.  :lol

Having just got back from a 2 day trip to Disneyland, I did a count and we did 9 attractions on Sunday and 7 on Monday. This does not include watching the parade and fireworks, and meeting princesses, one day, and watching the Royal Theater play both days. We didn't wait more than 30 minutes for anything on Sunday. There was a significant increase in numbers Monday, likely due to it being Spring Break, and lines we so much longer.

A funny story from Rise of the Resistance: For those who have not been, you assume the role of resistance fighters. Once you go past the entry gates, the Disney staff are in character as First Order troops, and they address you with a touch of menace as they would the resistance. The gal instructing us on where to stand and where to go was so good. After she directed us to move from her part of the ride to the next, I smiled at her and held out my fist for a fist bump.  She looked me dead in the eye without missing a beat and said "Absolutely not!" She played that brilliantly, I would have tipped her if there was a method to tip ride staff.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1064 on: April 03, 2024, 06:51:01 AM »
i'm goin' to Vegas next week!
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1065 on: April 03, 2024, 07:25:30 AM »
Having just got back from a 2 day trip to Disneyland, I did a count and we did 9 attractions on Sunday and 7 on Monday. This does not include watching the parade and fireworks, and meeting princesses, one day, and watching the Royal Theater play both days. We didn't wait more than 30 minutes for anything on Sunday. There was a significant increase in numbers Monday, likely due to it being Spring Break, and lines we so much longer.

A funny story from Rise of the Resistance: For those who have not been, you assume the role of resistance fighters. Once you go past the entry gates, the Disney staff are in character as First Order troops, and they address you with a touch of menace as they would the resistance. The gal instructing us on where to stand and where to go was so good. After she directed us to move from her part of the ride to the next, I smiled at her and held out my fist for a fist bump.  She looked me dead in the eye without missing a beat and said "Absolutely not!" She played that brilliantly, I would have tipped her if there was a method to tip ride staff.

I love how in character the people at Disney are - specifically the star wars area. My husband went with his Han shirt and vest, I wore the whole sith black get up with hood/cloak and all. We got so much attention from the staff, it was amazing. We got pulled aside by many groups of troopers, I told them Han was my prisoner. He then called Kylo "Emo Darth Vader" and that didn't go over very well.... I told Rey I was undercover and she played along, talking with her back to me in the open air restaurant. Chewy gave my man a point on his way somewhere. So great. What I want to know is how many preprogrammed statements people in masks have and how they activate them. It looked like Mando was doing different hand movements for phrases.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1066 on: April 03, 2024, 08:26:07 AM »
There's a reason why Disney calls their employees "cast members"

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1067 on: April 03, 2024, 08:28:25 AM »
I'm going to be in Philadelphia next week for a few days for work. I'll be at the downtown Marriott. Any suggestions on must see or must eat/drink things within walking distance? Any insights as to whether this is a safe place to wander around in the late afternoon/evening?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: April 03, 2024, 08:31:19 AM »
I'm going to be in Philadelphia next week for a few days for work. I'll be at the downtown Marriott. Any suggestions on must see or must eat/drink things within walking distance? Any insights as to whether this is a safe place to wander around in the late afternoon/evening?

Maybe this is within running distance?

https://www.visitphilly.com/things-to-do/attractions/the-rocky-statue-and-the-rocky-steps/
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1069 on: April 03, 2024, 08:42:40 AM »
For one thing you're a block away from Reading Terminal Market, so if you like food you're in luck. As for walking, you're pretty well situated to most the historical stuff. I've found central Phili to be pleasant to walk when I've been there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1070 on: April 03, 2024, 08:44:49 AM »
Any locals have any good tips for getting to the Hollywood Bowl to make it less sucky? Is the walk from Hollywood Blvd obnoxious? That seems to be one of the recommendations, aside from just taking the bus, which honestly doesn't sound all that appealing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1071 on: April 03, 2024, 10:04:44 AM »
Any locals have any good tips for getting to the Hollywood Bowl to make it less sucky? Is the walk from Hollywood Blvd obnoxious? That seems to be one of the recommendations, aside from just taking the bus, which honestly doesn't sound all that appealing.

Walking from the corner of Hollywood Blvd and Highland Av to the Bowl is about a mile, and it's mostly uphill.  Depending on your pace, it'll take about 30 minutes.  If you start from Franklin and Highland, you'll almost cut that in half.  If you're cool with that, I'd say it's absolutely the best way to go.  The next best option is the shuttle (not the same as taking the bus).

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/visit/getting-here/park-ride-and-bowl-shuttle/park-and-ride-and-shuttle-lot-locations
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1072 on: April 03, 2024, 10:41:34 AM »

I'd second Reading Terminal. Also, if you like beer, Monk's Cafe is a legendary beer bar with a good mix of European imports and American craft options. Their food is also very good.
Photobucket sucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1073 on: April 03, 2024, 11:06:44 AM »
Walking from the corner of Hollywood Blvd and Highland Av to the Bowl is about a mile, and it's mostly uphill.  Depending on your pace, it'll take about 30 minutes.  If you start from Franklin and Highland, you'll almost cut that in half.  If you're cool with that, I'd say it's absolutely the best way to go.  The next best option is the shuttle (not the same as taking the bus).

https://www.hollywoodbowl.com/visit/getting-here/park-ride-and-bowl-shuttle/park-and-ride-and-shuttle-lot-locations
Thanks. The only parking up at Franklin is $125, but I gather people ride the metro to that and then walk. One of the shuttles certainly seems like the best option.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: April 03, 2024, 11:22:38 AM »
I'd second Reading Terminal. Also, if you like beer, Monk's Cafe is a legendary beer bar with a good mix of European imports and American craft options. Their food is also very good.

Wow Monks! Haven't heard of that in awhile, only went there once with my friends but it was a legendary night for us that we still occassionally bring up when we're all together.  The mussels are amazing, must get one of their buckets and then find something on that book of a beer menu.  I was drinking "Gift of the Magi" that night, and well, had more than enough to be the first one to pass out and have everyone take pictures of me sleeping on the couch early that night  :lol

Also +1 on Reading Terminal since it seems like you'll be close. Plenty of options there. Also, got to recommend hitting up the south street area for some cheesesteaks. Not too far from centrum area, but it may be a far walk and it's honestly not the best area either.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1075 on: April 03, 2024, 11:36:02 AM »

Last time I went to Philly, the day after Nick's wedding, I got a parking ticket as I was trying to pay for the parking spot at the kiosk 40' or so from my car. Apparently there was no parking at all during those hours, and I didn't see the sign. I was literally yelling to the person giving me the ticket while at the kiosk, unable to figure out why it wasn't accepting my payment, but they gave zero fucks. Having already gotten a ticket, I said "fuck it", and carried on with trying to get my Philly Cheesesteak. The parking authority lady called in a tow truck on me. I had to ditch Victoria in the shop while I got away from the truck and she waited for the food. The truck followed me around the city back to the sandwich shop and tried to get in front of me while I was stopped so my wife could get in the car. The two sandwiches cost me $130 that day.   

Be mindful of where you park!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 12:57:18 PM by Chino »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1076 on: April 03, 2024, 11:46:59 AM »
Last time I went to Philly, I got a parking ticket as I was trying to pay for the parking spot at the kiosk 40' or so from my car. Apparently there was no parking at all during those hours, and I didn't see the sign. I was literally yelling to the person giving me the ticket while at the kiosk, unable to figure out why it wasn't accepting my payment, but they gave zero fucks. Having already gotten a ticket, I said "fuck it", and carried on with trying to get my Philly Cheesesteak. The parking authority lady called in a tow truck on me. I had to ditch Victoria in the shop while I got away from the truck, and she waited for the food. The truck followed me around the city back to the sandwich shop and tried to get in front of me while I was stopped so my wife could get in the car. The two sandwiches cost me $130 that day.   

WTH, that's ridiculous
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: April 03, 2024, 12:55:11 PM »
Last time I went to Philly, I got a parking ticket as I was trying to pay for the parking spot at the kiosk 40' or so from my car. Apparently there was no parking at all during those hours, and I didn't see the sign. I was literally yelling to the person giving me the ticket while at the kiosk, unable to figure out why it wasn't accepting my payment, but they gave zero fucks. Having already gotten a ticket, I said "fuck it", and carried on with trying to get my Philly Cheesesteak. The parking authority lady called in a tow truck on me. I had to ditch Victoria in the shop while I got away from the truck, and she waited for the food. The truck followed me around the city back to the sandwich shop and tried to get in front of me while I was stopped so my wife could get in the car. The two sandwiches cost me $130 that day.   

WOW, but none of this surprises me.  THere was literally a TV show called parking wars that was about Philly parking police.  My xgf used to live near 5th st so Id deal with street parking over weekends normally and it was ALWAYS a nightmare.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1078 on: April 03, 2024, 01:08:48 PM »
Imagine crawling out of bed every morning knowing that your job is to make everybody you encounter miserable. An acquaintance recommended a YT channel about a wrecker driver in Gatlinburg, and he couldn't understand why I'd just as soon see that guy drop dead. I don't have a problem with people who haul your broken down car to the shop, and I've got a begrudging respect for repo-men. People who impound cars can all fucking die, AFAIC.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: April 04, 2024, 06:47:11 AM »
Chino that is brutal man, I would've been sent into a blind rage.

In college I got a chipped windshield which insurance replaces for free in FL. I never pealed off the parking pass from my windshield so when the new one was put on I went to the leasing office to get a new parking sticker, they didn't have any but they had a temp one I could put on my dashboard so I did that. Next morning I wake up and the car is gone, it was towed. I got a ride to the tow yard and they wanted something like $300 to get my car back. I told him I had a temp badge on the windshield (it was still there in my towed car) and he said sorry it needed a permanent sticker. I explained whole new windshield/unable to get a new sticker and he just didn't give a fuck, it was as if he was getting off on just fucking me over. I had to ask my mom to wire me money to pay to get my car back (no zelle or venmo back then, and I was completely broke in college). Almost 20 years later my blood still boils thinking about it.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: April 05, 2024, 09:44:16 AM »
Flying to St. Pete FL for the night for a friend's baby shower. Got bumped up to first class so the trip is off to a good start.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: April 05, 2024, 09:47:35 AM »
I'm not the one traveling, but my gf's college friend and husband are spending the weekend with us and they've never been to NYC so it seems tomorrow, we are doing the tourist type of day in NYC. I'm not really looking forward to this  :lol but if the couple is cool, it can be fun.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1082 on: April 09, 2024, 04:25:55 PM »
Sunday night, I'm taking a red eye to New York.  Flying into Laguardia for the first time.  When Expedia, Hotels.com and VRBO consolidated, I ended up with enough whoopie points for the flight out there to be paid for, although I learned that you can't use those points for flights on United, Delta or American.  So...LAX to LGA (via Orlando) on JetBlue.

I'll just be dicking around in Manhattan and/or Brooklyn on Monday, so if any of y'all want to meet for a drink, I'll be available.

On Tuesday, I'll be going out to Amityville to visit with cousins I haven't seen in more than 24 years (one of them lives about a mile from the Horror house).  On Wednesday, I'll be going to the Mets/Pirates game (afternoon game).  On Thursday, I'll be driving up to New Hampshire to see the kiddo play a concert for the first time since high school.  Back home out of Boston on Saturday.  Short trip (and slightly more busy than I'd like), but I'm really looking forward to it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1083 on: April 09, 2024, 04:30:27 PM »
Sunday night, I'm taking a red eye to New York.  Flying into Laguardia for the first time.  When Expedia, Hotels.com and VRBO consolidated, I ended up with enough whoopie points for the flight out there to be paid for, although I learned that you can't use those points for flights on United, Delta or American.  So...LAX to LGA (via Orlando) on JetBlue.

I'll just be dicking around in Manhattan and/or Brooklyn on Monday, so if any of y'all want to meet for a drink, I'll be available.

On Tuesday, I'll be going out to Amityville to visit with cousins I haven't seen in more than 24 years (one of them lives about a mile from the Horror house).  On Wednesday, I'll be going to the Mets/Pirates game (afternoon game).  On Thursday, I'll be driving up to New Hampshire to see the kiddo play a concert for the first time since high school.  Back home out of Boston on Saturday.  Short trip (and slightly more busy than I'd like), but I'm really looking forward to it.
Flying into LGA sit on the left side of the aircraft. If you get the expressway visual approach you'll be glad you did.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1084 on: April 09, 2024, 04:42:02 PM »
I'm not the one traveling, but my gf's college friend and husband are spending the weekend with us and they've never been to NYC so it seems tomorrow, we are doing the tourist type of day in NYC. I'm not really looking forward to this  :lol but if the couple is cool, it can be fun.
I'm guessing that this was you by the end of the day:

:lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk