Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 55457 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2019, 01:33:02 PM »
Yea I think that's the coolest part, the environment for Maiden in Mexico is probably unlike anything I have ever seen and maybe will ever see. 

Is it easy to get around there without knowing Spanish?
Probably not any harder than getting around Amsterdam without speaking Amsterdamese.  :lol

The truth is there aren't a ton of English speakers down there, but numbers are the same. Converting dollars to pesos is a cinch. Most places have menus in English. If you've ridden one subway you've ridden them all. For all else it's Google to the rescue. In my experience all of them have google translate on their phones ready to roll, for some reason. I've really never had any problem down there.

Interestingly, at concerts they all speak English. As a white guy with a giant beard I'm a point of huge fascination to those guys. I get chatted up all the time and pose for a lot of pictures with the locals. At the first might of the Metallica gigs they actually started a "Z-Z-TOP" chant in my honor.  :lol

Well like 98% of the dutch know English so getting around there is super easy, although holy heck did I get myself confused on their trains before and needed a local to help me out... twice  :lol

The hubby and I are going to old school road trip it without any accommodations booked, which makes me a bit nervous - find a hotel or use the tent. Possible spots we may see/drive through - Sedona, Horseshoe bend, Antelope Canyon, North Rim of Grand Canyon, Zion, SLC, Grand Teton, Yellowstone. We'll play it day by day and see what we want. I know several of those things require reservations though and will be pretty packed when we are planning on going.

How long is this trip?  You got a lot of sights listed there, but that sounds cool minus no schedule.  I'm a schedule kind of person, I need to know my plans otherwise I get real nervous.  Zion is a spot I've been debating about hitting up if I go the Vegas route in September.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »
Zion is awesome. Hit it up if you can.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »

My only worry are crowds.  Apparently its a big issue at this park.  It wouldn't make me not want to go but it could dampen the experience and chknptpie, you should consider that as well.  I remember even Sedona being a PITA because of so many people driving around and finding parking when I went 3 years ago (just quickly, it wasn't a planned day just a drive through a stop).

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2019, 01:53:25 PM »
How long is this trip?  You got a lot of sights listed there, but that sounds cool minus no schedule.  I'm a schedule kind of person, I need to know my plans otherwise I get real nervous.  Zion is a spot I've been debating about hitting up if I go the Vegas route in September.

Man you sound like my Fiancee lol I love travelling and knowing where im going, but sometimes I am ok improvising. Her on the other hand, if we don't have a plan (Even if the trip is weeks or months away) she gets stressed and overwhelmed. She wants to know where we will be on what day, what time and how long we will be there for.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2019, 01:55:02 PM »
I'm generally a schedule kind of guy, but I've loosened up a lot over the years. I used to plan just about everything out. Now I'm increasingly leaving things open. Since I usually combine vacations with concerts there are always nights I need to be someplace, so knowing which city and state I'll be in matters. I like to leave my days and off nights completely open, though. If I'm just camping and don't have any gigs scheduled it's pretty easy to just meander. Honestly, there's a lot to be said for not having a schedule. If something goes wrong, who cares? Pull into some town. Find a place to eat and book a hotel on your phone while you're there.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2019, 02:01:35 PM »

Man you sound like my Fiancee lol I love travelling and knowing where im going, but sometimes I am ok improvising. Her on the other hand, if we don't have a plan (Even if the trip is weeks or months away) she gets stressed and overwhelmed. She wants to know where we will be on what day, what time and how long we will be there for.

:lol I can give a pass on the times for the day, I just need to know where I am sleeping each night.  With a huge road trip like that, I wouldn't be on a watch making sure I hit each spot at a certain time, but I would like to have a goal on where I want to be before I call it a night.  I guess with todays tech though, just booking a room through the many options wouldn't be a big deal and being in the US would make me feel more comfortable than backpacking through Europe solo.   

I won't lie though, I'm a bit spoiled.  We stayed, and it was planned, at an airbnb little hut in the middle of no where California near Lassen Volcanic National Park.  It was planned because we had a lot of city nights and wanted a night out there for the experience, and I ended up hating it so much.  Too many bugs, no lights, the drive there was really grueling after a long day of driving already.... I wouldn't want to do that again, nor would I want to risk having to settle for such an experience.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2019, 02:34:34 PM »

Well, I took 2 weeks off work. So I was thinking 10 days, that way we also have time to just do nothing before and after we come back. From where I live to Yellowstone, all those places are along the way-ish and a direct drive to Yellowstone is only ~15hrs. So I figure maybe take 7 days driving up and 3 days driving back down. Maybe spend 1 night in Page, 2 nights around North Rim/Zion, 1 night in SLC, 3 nights in Yellowstone. Maybe we see everything we can/want to see in Zion in 2 and then stay somewhere between there and SLC for a night.

I'm usually super structured with trips, so this will definitely be a test of my control issues. I know that I can always start booking things the day or two before if I start to get overwhelmed. Well unless we are somewhere without any cell service... which is going to be a thing lol

My only worry are crowds.  Apparently its a big issue at this park.  It wouldn't make me not want to go but it could dampen the experience and chknptpie, you should consider that as well.  I remember even Sedona being a PITA because of so many people driving around and finding parking when I went 3 years ago (just quickly, it wasn't a planned day just a drive through a stop).

I'm well aware of the crowds. On a normal weekend it should only take 2.5hrs to drive to Sedona. We made the mistake of going on a holiday weekend and it took us 4. I'm (mentally) prepared lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »
Well, as some people may have known if they read my posts in the Concert thread, I'm going to Orlando in September 17th - September 19th.  I haven't been on a plane in like 19 years, so I don't know what site I go to ensure good deals.  I'm contemplating either flying out of LAX or Ontario Airport and I don't think I can leave my car for about three days at the airport parking lot so I have to find a good way to get to the airport as well. 

So I guess my questions are what's the best site for me to look up good deals for flights, hotels, and other than Uber or taking a bus, what's the best route of transportation to get the airport from Garden Grove at a decent price (like less than $50.00)?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2019, 04:03:16 PM »
Well, as some people may have known if they read my posts in the Concert thread, I'm going to Orlando in September 17th - September 19th.  I haven't been on a plane in like 19 years, so I don't know what site I go to ensure good deals.  I'm contemplating either flying out of LAX or Ontario Airport and I don't think I can leave my car for about three days at the airport parking lot so I have to find a good way to get to the airport as well. 

So I guess my questions are what's the best site for me to look up good deals for flights, hotels, and other than Uber or taking a bus, what's the best route of transportation to get the airport from Garden Grove at a decent price (like less than $50.00)?

First of all, allow me to suggest looking at Long Beach or Orange County airports.  They are infinitely less of a hassle than LAX, and both are much closer to Garden Grove than LAX or Ontario.  When I fly for work, I almost always fly out of Long Beach, and Orange County is my second choice.  When taking personal trips, LAX is typically the least expensive option (it will also have the most options in terms of time and direct flights), but I'll sometimes pay a little more for the convenience.  I haven't ever flown out of Ontario, so I don't have any real opinion about it.

In terms of prices for flights, simply look around.  I often start with a site like Expedia but will often book directly through the airlines' sites.  Some places like Expedia will allow you to receive an email or other alert if the cost of a particular flight drops below an amount you choose.  Usually 6-8 weeks in advance is a good time for finding good prices.

As far as getting to the airport, you certainly CAN leave your car at any airport for three days.  At LAX, there are a number of nearby commercial parking garages that I'd recommend over the airport lot (I use The Parking Spot, which has two LAX locations and multiple price options).  For only three days, leaving your car in one of those lots will probably be slightly less expensive than an Uber/Lyft and probably about the same as Super Shuttle.  Parking at Long Beach and Orange County is about $20 per day.  Also, when I flew out of LAX in April, I took a Lyft (from the Los Alamitos area), and it cost me just under $50.  Depending on where in GG you are, it would cost you a bit more, but I would expect it'd be under $60.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:20:41 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »

My only worry are crowds.
Yeah, I've heard that can be a problem. We were there in late April last year on a Friday and it wasn't too bad. My suggestion is to get in the parks as early as possible. Things don't usually pick up too much until late morning. We're early risers so we were able to get into the park around 7:30.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2019, 11:44:21 PM »

Go to expedia and search for QLA. It'll show all of the greater LA airports. That'll save you the hassle of searching them independently. Keep in mind that if you're not leaving the car at the airport you can depart/arrive different airports. Though it's probably easiest just to cough up the $20/day to park there.

Also, I have a real keen interest to fly out of SNA (Orange County) at some point, myself. If you haven't flown in 19 years you might not like it very much. Sounds like pg1067 has flown out of there, so maybe he can shed some light on how dramatic it is, but it's legendary for a fairly unique departure that really unnerves a lot of people.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2019, 06:32:09 AM »
Maybe we see everything we can/want to see in Zion in 2 and then stay somewhere between there and SLC for a night.

Unless you're a pretty extreme hiker, and if you arrive at the park gate early enough, you should be able to see Zions by lunch time. Seriously. I'm not really sure why it's our State's most popular park. It's cool and all, but I always feel a sense of wishing for more. It's even worse now with much of the hikes closed due to rock slides and high water. Of course, I'm too old and not in good enough shape to do Angel's Landing anymore, so that's one major attraction gone.

For my money, I'd take Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches and Dinosaur over it in a heart beat.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2019, 06:46:23 AM »
Maybe we see everything we can/want to see in Zion in 2 and then stay somewhere between there and SLC for a night.

Unless you're a pretty extreme hiker, and if you arrive at the park gate early enough, you should be able to see Zions by lunch time. Seriously. I'm not really sure why it's our State's most popular park. It's cool and all, but I always feel a sense of wishing for more. It's even worse now with much of the hikes closed due to rock slides and high water. Of course, I'm too old and not in good enough shape to do Angel's Landing anymore, so that's one major attraction gone.

For my money, I'd take Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Arches and Dinosaur over it in a heart beat.

My guess is because Zion can be a day trip from Vegas so it's gotten really popular as all of the National Parks have lately with this one being accessible and very cool looking (from the pictures). 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2019, 07:38:21 AM »
We did Zion in a full day. We got into the park early (7:30) and were done by dinner time. We didn't do any huge hikes, just a few short/medium ones. This was mostly due to having young kids with us. We would have done some more hiking if it was just my wife and me. It's definitely doable in a day if you're only looking to hit up the highlights. Getting out of the more popular areas would require another day probably depending on what you want to do.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2019, 10:33:13 AM »
Also, I have a real keen interest to fly out of SNA (Orange County) at some point, myself. If you haven't flown in 19 years you might not like it very much. Sounds like pg1067 has flown out of there, so maybe he can shed some light on how dramatic it is, but it's legendary for a fairly unique departure that really unnerves a lot of people.  :lol

I actually had to think about it before realizing what you were talking about.  You can read about it here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Airport#Runways

And here:  https://www.avgeekery.com/whats-rollercoaster-takeoffs-orange-county/

Basically, about 10-20 seconds after takeoff, the pilot noticeably reduces engine power and the angle of ascent such that it feels a little like something has gone wrong.  God forbid we should disturb the elite of Newport Beach....  I guess I'm just used to it, but yeah, I can see that it might be a bit unnerving for an infrequent flyer.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2019, 11:11:56 AM »
Huh, interesting tidbits regarding taking off from John Wayne Airport.  I guess if I do want to fly off from there and I have to mentally prepare myself for that as well.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2019, 11:16:47 AM »
That's really interesting, I'm sure it's no big deal, but I feel like I've experienced that before although maybe not as bad or as close to ground level, where right after take off you feel your gut sink and it gets super quiet and you think wtf is going on  :lol but I am really not a fan of this feeling so maybe it's good to know unless there's a good reason to fly out of there, I'll stick to LAX.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »
Also, aside from the throttle down at 800' there's a hot takeoff where they engines spool to about 50% before they let off the brakes. The whole thing sounds like a hoot to me, but I get off on interesting and/or hairy flights. My understanding is that if* you're using the noise abatement departure the pilot will normally warn you what's going to happen, and while unnerving to some it is perfectly safe. I'm just thinking that if somebody's going to be a nervous-Nelly then it might not be the best flight to take.

Myself, I always enjoyed the LAX departure straight out over the ocean  with the lazy turn around Long Beach. 

*For most airlines it's no longer mandated. Modern aircraft are a lot quieter than they used to be. Some use it at certain times of the day or with older aircraft. SWA uses it on all flights but mostly just to simplify their ops out of SNA.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2019, 11:36:43 AM »
Even without the sound issue, it's apparently one of the shortest runways so that's going to be a "fun" one regardless.

I really have no issues with LAX, getting in/out, TSA, long lines, no issues really ever from my experience.  Food options aren't the greatest in the United Terminal (forget the # but its the last one, I know that from the long drop offs from rental car buses, although quick pick ups).  It's the traffic once you are in LA that is more annoying.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »
I can only vaguely recall being "warned" about the takeoff at SNA -- maybe once or twice.  It's possible that they do it more often and I'm just tuned out.

At LAX, the horseshoe layout can make it so that it literally takes 20+ minutes from the time a shuttle bus enters the airport until getting to the United terminal (#7).  If you're in a private car, there's a shortcut, but shuttle buses won't use that unless everyone is going to terminal 7.  Southwest flies out of terminal #1, but that terminal has awful lines at security (most of the other terminals are better).

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2019, 12:57:36 PM »
 I've used Expedia a couple of times.  I haven't had a problem.

I just bought tickets and booked a hotel in Berlin in November.  My mom and I are going, since she lived in West Berlin in the early 70s.  It's also the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.  Hopefully be able to meet some distant relatives when I'm there.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »
All right, update on my traveling plans.  I'm going to make a slight change of plans to not spend an extra day in Orlando.  Instead, I'm going to fly out of Orlando on September 18th to Raleigh, NC and stay there until September 20th.  Also, after looking at flight prices and considering stuff like traveling from home to airport and back and along with the costs of airport to hotel room and back, I'm going to fly out of John Wayne Airport and have my parents drop me off and pick me up when I get back which brings me to my next questions.

While looking at airlines, I'm seeing that Frontier and Spirit have the cheaper ticket prices, but I've been asking around and people tell me to not take those airlines.  It looks like Delta Airlines has the cheaper flight tickets among the big name brands that I hear.  How are they as airlines?  Are they good enough to warrant or should I proceed to shoot a bit higher? Also, I am contemplating renting a car for driving to the airport to the hotel room and back instead of taking an uber/lyft/bus/etc.  How's the experiences of doing that?  Would I need to refill the tank and how far away from the airport should I refill before returning the car and not get charged more than I need to?

One last question, when I was looking at Expedia for hotel rooms, there's so many options out there and naturally I want to pick a hotel room that's within 20 minutes away from the concert venues I want to go to.  I'm not a big spender and I only have like $1,000.00 of a budget that includes flights, hotel room stay, transportation, and food that I want to spend on.  What should I look for in a hotel room aside from free Wifi when comparing prices?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2019, 02:49:56 PM »
Delta is a fine airline, I use United since I fly out of Newark but would choose Delta over them if it weren't for EWR being a United hub.  As for the car rental, yes, typically you return it filled although you can check the option to pay a surcharge to not do that, but if you do not check that when booking, do not return it without being full or they get your wallet good.  I used to use the fuel option at work cause fuck it work is paying and for awhiel that one rental spot was pretty much the same price anyway as filing it so a fun game for me would be to see how empty I could return it.  One time I got them really really mad at me since it said there were 0 miles left in the tank  :rollin I was proud of myself but they didn't take that kindly at all.  Either way, there are gas stations near airports so it's not an issue to just go to one near by and drive the few minutes to the rental drop off from there.

As for the hotel, depends on what you want to do.  Personally, if I travel just for a show, I want to be near the venue, and even better if I can walk such as my situation now in Brooklyn, I can walk from my room to the show tonight.  I use IHG brand hotels which are usually pretty nice, this one currently is shit but they aren't all winners.  It doesn't matter much to me, chilling in the room is not what I plan on doing when I travel. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2019, 03:03:36 PM »
All right, excellent.  I think renting the car is probably the way to go for me.  Now it comes down to which car I want.  I mean as a single adult, it doesn't really matter to me which car as I just want to get to the airport to the hotel room and back.  Same goes for hotel.  Just cheap and as close to the venue as possible.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »
Not sure what the cost is for a car, but if it ends up only to be to/from the hotel, it may be better to just uber.  With budget, I have fast break, and with Hertz I have gold status so I think those are all free to sign up for and it allows you to just walk up to your car and leave, not deal with going inside and dealing wtih the people at the counter.  If you don't have those, I almost feel like the hassle of dealing with a rental car isn't worth it unless its cheaper by more than a few bucks over the uber ride or if you plan on using the car more.

Also, go for the camaro if you are renting :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2019, 03:44:34 PM »
All right, update on my traveling plans.  I'm going to make a slight change of plans to not spend an extra day in Orlando.  Instead, I'm going to fly out of Orlando on September 18th to Raleigh, NC and stay there until September 20th.  Also, after looking at flight prices and considering stuff like traveling from home to airport and back and along with the costs of airport to hotel room and back, I'm going to fly out of John Wayne Airport and have my parents drop me off and pick me up when I get back which brings me to my next questions.

While looking at airlines, I'm seeing that Frontier and Spirit have the cheaper ticket prices, but I've been asking around and people tell me to not take those airlines.  It looks like Delta Airlines has the cheaper flight tickets among the big name brands that I hear.  How are they as airlines?  Are they good enough to warrant or should I proceed to shoot a bit higher? Also, I am contemplating renting a car for driving to the airport to the hotel room and back instead of taking an uber/lyft/bus/etc.  How's the experiences of doing that?  Would I need to refill the tank and how far away from the airport should I refill before returning the car and not get charged more than I need to?

One last question, when I was looking at Expedia for hotel rooms, there's so many options out there and naturally I want to pick a hotel room that's within 20 minutes away from the concert venues I want to go to.  I'm not a big spender and I only have like $1,000.00 of a budget that includes flights, hotel room stay, transportation, and food that I want to spend on.  What should I look for in a hotel room aside from free Wifi when comparing prices?
Frontier and Spirit really aren't much cheaper once you factor in the cost of transporting your bags. I'm pretty sure they both charge you for the carry-on, which is becoming more and more common. Be sure and factor that into whatever airline you choose because Expedia always shows the economy fares. I think of the majors AA is the only one that still gives you a free carry-on. The others either don't allow it or charge you a bundle. Those fares also won't allow you to choose your own seat. It'll be assigned at the gate.*  The bigger problem with Frontier and Spirit is that because the fare look cheaper they attract the worst of the riff-raff. You hear about disruptive passengers all the time, but when you hear about a brawl it's always Spirit.

*Letting the gate agent assign your seat isn't necessarily a bad thing. While you might get stuck in a middle seat next to the lav, you might wind up in a preferred, or even business class seat. I've never been upgraded, but I've never gotten a bad seat, either.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2019, 10:23:18 PM »
After you mentioned the whole thing regarding bags, Barto, I'm looking on Expedia and it looks like Delta lets me have one carry-on bag up to 10 KG and a personal item.  AA is confirmed to provide us with the option to bring one carry on with no fees which is fine since I don't plan on packing too many clothes or anything.  Just clothes, phone charger, and some reading material.  If all goes well, I should be able to book my plane tickets and hotel stays this week for around $600-620 on September 16th - September 20th.  I'll figure out whether I want to rent a car, take an Uber, or take the bus at a later time.  I don't think I want to drive around much and I don't have the greatest grasp of Uber rates to see if it's worth my while to spend it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2019, 11:29:19 AM »

Delta is good.  A couple of my work colleagues swear by it, and it is their regular airline for business travel.  I've never flown it myself, but not for any other reason than that United and JetBlue have my my two regular airlines.  I've been tempted to go with Spirit or Frontier on occasion, but I usually see something that scares me out of it.  Among other things, they seem to have terrible on-time performance, and virtually everything beyond a seatbelt seems to be a paid upgrade.

As far as a rental car for the sole purpose of commuting between airport and hotel, I wouldn't do it.  If you're going to stay relatively close to the airport, just make sure the hotel has an airport shuttle.  That said, as far as refilling the gas tank goes, you can usually get at least 10-20 miles post-fill up before you'll get dinged for not returning the car with a full tank.  When my daughter and I were in NYC/Boston in April, we drove from Brooklyn to Boston.  We topped off the tank somewhere well outside of Boston, and I did not get dinged (actually, I got dinged for the full size of the gas tank, but the rental car company dropped the refueling charge altogether when I called and complained about that).

As far as hotel rooms, that's a matter of personal preference.  All I really care about is clean and quiet.  Pretty much anything above Motel 6 quality has wi-fi and TV, so that's not typically an issue.  In terms of quiet, if it's a high rise building, I go for a high floor (typically anything about four and you'll avoid most street noise).  If it's only 2-3 floors, then you need to read CURRENT reviews.  FWIW, I like hotels.com better than Expedia.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2019, 06:37:23 PM »
Well, guys.  I bought my tickets and booked hotel stay.  Set me back $600.00 for the flight and stay to Orlando on September 16th, flight and stay to Raleigh on September 18th, and flight home back to the OC on September 20th.  Going to two flights via Delta and one flight via AA.  Hotel rooms is around 15-20 minute of walking distance to the venue of the concerts I am at. 

Should be a fun trip to the east coast.  I don't think I have been to anywhere east in like 20+ years (I can't recall everything, but I think I went to Boston with my family when I was 5 to visit my cousins there).  As for transportation,  Uber rates actually look a bit cheaper per ride than I thought so that's something to look into.  Probably will take the bus from airport to hotel in Orlando though.  Will have plenty of downtime while waiting there and I'm not much for seeing sights or other stuff like that.  That's something I can look more into as I get closer to the date.

Anywho, thanks all for the advice.  It all helped me a lot.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2019, 11:07:36 PM »
Well, guys.  I bought my tickets and booked hotel stay.  Set me back $600.00 for the flight and stay to Orlando on September 16th, flight and stay to Raleigh on September 18th, and flight home back to the OC on September 20th.  Going to two flights via Delta and one flight via AA.  Hotel rooms is around 15-20 minute of walking distance to the venue of the concerts I am at. 

Should be a fun trip to the east coast.  I don't think I have been to anywhere east in like 20+ years (I can't recall everything, but I think I went to Boston with my family when I was 5 to visit my cousins there).  As for transportation,  Uber rates actually look a bit cheaper per ride than I thought so that's something to look into.  Probably will take the bus from airport to hotel in Orlando though.  Will have plenty of downtime while waiting there and I'm not much for seeing sights or other stuff like that.  That's something I can look more into as I get closer to the date.

Anywho, thanks all for the advice.  It all helped me a lot.
Don't spend all your time in the hotel room. Find an opportunity to get out and explore.  Orlando isn't far from Kennedy Space Center. That's what I'd do. Also keep in mind that Orlando's a cheap place to rent a car. The Mouse probably subsidizes them or something. Renting a car for two days would probably cost ~40 after all the fees, and you can actually drive around and see some of the wang. Not to mention seek out the best food that area has to offer.
E.F. Benson

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2019, 03:53:15 AM »
Just throwing it out there that if anyone ever is going to Scandinavia, the group "Scandinavia and Nordics Travel - Norway, Iceland, and beyond!" is a great repository of useful knowledge, and if you ever wanna swing by Western Norway you can pick my brain any time.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2019, 03:54:51 AM »
Just throwing it out there that if anyone ever is going to Scandinavia, the group "Scandinavia and Nordics Travel - Norway, Iceland, and beyond!" is a great repository of useful knowledge, and if you ever wanna swing by Western Norway you can pick my brain any time.

The day I'll finall visit Norway, it will always be too late  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2019, 05:18:12 AM »
The day I'll finall visit Norway, it will always be too late  :D
It's not going anywhere, but just in case, chop chop!  :yarr

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2019, 06:37:09 AM »
I'd love to visit Norway, it's just so far and expensive.  All my personal travel has been in the US or the carribean and while I would love to go to things like Wacken or the Nordics, I don't see it in my near future. 

I've been doing some local traveling I guess you can call it.  Two weekends ago I spent the weekend in Philly, last weekend I spent it in Brooklyn, and I am considering spending this weekend in Hartford.  While those are all short road trips (Hartford is the furthest at 3.5 hours) I did do at least one unique thing each weekend to make it interesting although going to a lesbian bar in Philly was not by design  :lol and I did a nice 90 minute walk through Prospect Park in Brooklyn.  I'm not sure what I could do in Hartford to make it unique if I do go tomorrow morning.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2019, 07:00:51 AM »
Someday when the kids are out of the house, we'll travel internationally. For now it's all US stuff and that's expensive enough

We're doing Anaheim, Disneyland and all that stuff in September since my company is sending me there for a work seminar. Should be fun. Looking forward to another vacation.