Author Topic: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread  (Read 56788 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The "I'm Traveling somewhere" Thread
« Reply #1015 on: February 14, 2024, 04:11:25 AM »
Planning a trip to London first week of July. I have a list of sights we would like to see but would appreciate any suggestions. We also have not nailed down where we will be staying  yet. We will be in the city 4 nights so any location for a hotel that is convenient would be helpful also!
Thanks!

What I loved the most about London, a giant metropolis and, along with New York, the de facto "capital of the world", were the little village atmosphere of some of its neighbourhoods. Covent Garden in the city centre where you can also find the delicious cute Neal's Yard (google it!), Notthing Hill, Camden, all very lovely places.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1016 on: February 16, 2024, 08:34:17 PM »
Well, got another Chicago trip as a possible plan.  The live show of the podcasts that I've been going to for the last two years has another one this July.  Can't tell this far out if I'm going to be doing something in another city around that time.  We'll see.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1017 on: March 09, 2024, 06:16:42 PM »
Finishing up a week and a half in Anaheim with one last day at Disneyland tomorrow. I had a work conference for a couple days and cashed in some hotel rewards to spend a long vacation with the family. I find myself being really depressed today at the thought of flying home on Monday. I love Disney far more than a middle aged man should. And it's been a blast with my family.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1018 on: March 09, 2024, 06:20:09 PM »
Finishing up a week and a half in Anaheim with one last day at Disneyland tomorrow. I had a work conference for a couple days and cashed in some hotel rewards to spend a long vacation with the family. I find myself being really depressed today at the thought of flying home on Monday. I love Disney far more than a middle aged man should. And it's been a blast with my family.

Disney with your family is amazing. We've been to D-Land in California twice, but we've been to D-World a number of times. So many good times as my kids were growing up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1019 on: March 09, 2024, 06:24:25 PM »

Disney with your family is amazing. We've been to D-Land in California twice, but we've been to D-World a number of times. So many good times as my kids were growing up.
Twice each for us over the last 6 years. My company likes to put on seminars at Disney hotels,  so I get my flight, 3 nights of hotel, and my meals for a few days all covered. Plus we get discounted hotel and park tickets. It's a sweet deal and we all have a blast.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: March 09, 2024, 06:38:52 PM »
I love Disney far more than a middle aged man should. And it's been a blast with my family.

Nothing wrong with that.  I think the park does a good job for adults and family.  I don't even have kids and had a blast last time I went like 5 or so years ago.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1021 on: March 10, 2024, 10:29:25 AM »
Between the money and the crowds Disney isn't in my future, but I really do dig theme parks in general. More for the coasters, but the overall experience is always something I dig, and more often than not I'll stay long enough to close the place down. Just over the last year I've hit:

Cedar Point
King's Island
SF Great America
SF Fiesta Texas
SF Georgia (Surprisingly good and riot-free on the night I was there)
Dollywood
SF Magic Mountain
Knotts Berry Farm
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 01:31:18 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1022 on: March 10, 2024, 12:04:11 PM »
Between the money and the crowds Disney isn't in my future, but I really do dig theme parks in general. More for the coasters, but the overall experience is always something I dig...

I love theme parks but we are pretty isolated up here where I am. And I am the only one in my family who likes them, really. No one but my likes roller coasters. We are going to Disneyland next month because me and the younger one had such a good time last year and the older kid missed out on it. I was trying to explain to her it isn't like the county fair. There is something about the experience that you just have to... experience.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1023 on: March 10, 2024, 01:52:59 PM »
Between the money and the crowds Disney isn't in my future, but I really do dig theme parks in general. More for the coasters, but the overall experience is always something I dig...

I love theme parks but we are pretty isolated up here where I am. And I am the only one in my family who likes them, really. No one but my likes roller coasters. We are going to Disneyland next month because me and the younger one had such a good time last year and the older kid missed out on it. I was trying to explain to her it isn't like the county fair. There is something about the experience that you just have to... experience.
And I'd like to experience that experience. Just not so much that I'd put up with the time and the expense. From what I've gathered you'd be hard pressed to get on three rides in a day out there, and you'd be paying extra for it. That'd really hack me off. Not to mention the upfront cost of it all. They've really boxed me out of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1024 on: March 10, 2024, 02:32:26 PM »
Last year we went on several rides each day, without any Lightning Lane or whatever they call it. And we didn't even spend the whole day doing rides. We watched the parade and fireworks show, saw the Royal Theater show, and left the park for dinner both days. Our longest wait time might have been to get in to Royal Hall to meet the princesses. Which I wholly expect you to do if you ever make it here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1025 on: March 10, 2024, 02:51:12 PM »
Last year we went on several rides each day, without any Lightning Lane or whatever they call it. And we didn't even spend the whole day doing rides. We watched the parade and fireworks show, saw the Royal Theater show, and left the park for dinner both days. Our longest wait time might have been to get in to Royal Hall to meet the princesses. Which I wholly expect you to do if you ever make it here.
Fair enough. Sounds like it's not always so rough.

And I'll absolutely wait for the princess. I'll spend the wait time figuring out the most vulgar thing I can think of to say to her so-as to really, really earn my lifetime ban.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1026 on: March 18, 2024, 07:44:16 AM »
Booked a trip to London, and since I have no desire to dedicate an entire trip to France, I'm doing a day trip to Paris while I'm there.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1027 on: March 18, 2024, 07:54:25 AM »
Booked a trip to London, and since I have no desire to dedicate an entire trip to France, I'm doing a day trip to Paris while I'm there.

My kid lives in London now, and she's daytripping all over the goddamn place.   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1028 on: March 18, 2024, 08:12:00 AM »
I agree about not wanting to spend an entire trip in France, but I'd definitely want more than a day. Two days one night seems about right for me. Maybe even a second night in some place other than Paris. My regret from when I was there was that I never got outside of Paris. Next time I'll skip it altogether and just hit the nether regions of France.
E.F. Benson

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1029 on: March 18, 2024, 08:34:06 AM »
I've got a big trip to Europe in the fall starting to fall into shape. The centerpiece/reason for going is that my cousin is getting married in Fasano, Italy in October. My dad, my sister, and I are all in agreement that if we're going to be over there anyway, we should take some time to see other parts of Europe before/after given how easy it is to get around Europe once you're actually there. Of course my dad and my sister are happy to just pick a city and start planning, but I'm holding out for fall European tours to be announced :lol This is what I have so far:

October 3rd- Depart from JFK airport
October 4th- Land in Prague
October 4th and 5th- Spend time in Prague. The Devils are opening their 2024-2025 season with two games against Buffalo in Prague, so this was an easy call for me.
October 6th- Depart Prague (early) and fly to Paris to meet up with my dad and my sister (who will already be there)
October 6th- Spend time in Paris
October 7th- Depart Paris, fly to Bari Italy.
October 7th to 11th- Wedding festivities in Italy
October 12th- Fly to ???. I'm hoping a tour gets announced that lines up with this, but I think absent a specific draw somewhere we're going to go to London for a few days.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1030 on: March 18, 2024, 08:37:34 AM »
I agree about not wanting to spend an entire trip in France, but I'd definitely want more than a day. Two days one night seems about right for me. Maybe even a second night in some place other than Paris. My regret from when I was there was that I never got outside of Paris. Next time I'll skip it altogether and just hit the nether regions of France.

Yeah, I think eventually I'll end up in France for more than a day, just not now. Would love to visit the French alps.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1031 on: March 18, 2024, 08:38:08 AM »
I've got a big trip to Europe in the fall starting to fall into shape. The centerpiece/reason for going is that my cousin is getting married in Fasano, Italy in October. My dad, my sister, and I are all in agreement that if we're going to be over there anyway, we should take some time to see other parts of Europe before/after given how easy it is to get around Europe once you're actually there. Of course my dad and my sister are happy to just pick a city and start planning, but I'm holding out for fall European tours to be announced :lol This is what I have so far:

October 4th and 5th- Spend time in Prague. The Devils are opening their 2024-2025 season with two games against Buffalo in Prague, so this was an easy call for me.
October 6th- Depart Prague (early) and fly to Paris to meet up with my dad and my sister (who will already be there)
October 12th- Fly to ???. I'm hoping a tour gets announced that lines up with this, but I think absent a specific draw somewhere we're going to go to London for a few days.

I'm afraid October 12th is a bit optimistic, on account of recovery from Italian wedding food and drinks (and possibly other pleasures).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1032 on: March 18, 2024, 08:44:10 AM »

I know you're gonna be busy with the wedding and the family so it's kinda a moot point, but just so you know, being in Fasano puts you very near (30 minutes by car) to many iconic Apulia places:

- Alberobello, worldwide famous for the cute tiny cone houses, "trulli";
- Ostuni, called "the white city" which is weird since many Apulia towns are white but it's one of the best;
- Polignano a Mare, iconic and stunning with cliffs over the sea;
- Cute and small Locorotondo, you visit it in a couple of hours.

Also, you're within day-trip distance from Matera and its magnificent "sassi", old houses built in caves and rocks.

Again, I know you're gonna be super busy those days, but since you're already there anyway, try and see what the neighbourhood has to offer!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1033 on: March 18, 2024, 09:20:51 AM »

When we went to London in 2009, we took a day trip to Paris.  Caught the train sometime in the afternoon, went through the Chunnel, and arrived in Paris in the early evening.  The next day, we spent a few hours in the Louvre, walked through the Jardin des Tuileries, walked past the Eiffel Tower and over to the Arc de Triomphe.  Then back to the train station and back to London.  Definitely not enough time, but it was a bit of a last minute thing, so it was kinda cool.  Definitely could've spent three days in Paris alone, and I could easily see doing at least a week for the rest of France.  One of these days....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1034 on: March 18, 2024, 12:17:18 PM »

I'm afraid October 12th is a bit optimistic, on account of recovery from Italian wedding food and drinks (and possibly other pleasures).

Haha, I'm looking forward to it :lol the wedding is on the 10th, so I did build in one recovery day at least.

I know you're gonna be busy with the wedding and the family so it's kinda a moot point, but just so you know, being in Fasano puts you very near (30 minutes by car) to many iconic Apulia places:

- Alberobello, worldwide famous for the cute tiny cone houses, "trulli";
- Ostuni, called "the white city" which is weird since many Apulia towns are white but it's one of the best;
- Polignano a Mare, iconic and stunning with cliffs over the sea;
- Cute and small Locorotondo, you visit it in a couple of hours.

Also, you're within day-trip distance from Matera and its magnificent "sassi", old houses built in caves and rocks.

Again, I know you're gonna be super busy those days, but since you're already there anyway, try and see what the neighbourhood has to offer!

Appreciate the recommendations. We have a couple days before the wedding so may get to do some sightseeing.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: March 19, 2024, 05:41:29 AM »
Planning a trip to London first week of July. I have a list of sights we would like to see but would appreciate any suggestions. We also have not nailed down where we will be staying  yet. We will be in the city 4 nights so any location for a hotel that is convenient would be helpful also!
Thanks!

What I loved the most about London, a giant metropolis and, along with New York, the de facto "capital of the world", were the little village atmosphere of some of its neighbourhoods. Covent Garden in the city centre where you can also find the delicious cute Neal's Yard (google it!), Notthing Hill, Camden, all very lovely places.

This are wise words here. One can easily get lost with all the grandiose things there are in the city, but it's these quieter parts of town that really give London that special touch.

As far as where to stay, I've always chosen to stay a bit north of Hyde Park (the Paddington Area). It's a nice quiet area, it has metro and train stations nearby and, if you are an early bird and enjoy walking, a stroll trhough the park every morning will lighten up your day. It's also conveniently closed to the Royal Albert Hall if you are planning to visit that.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: March 19, 2024, 05:46:42 AM »

Paris is my least favorite place in France so far so I get why you don't want to be there. To be fair, there are some reasons to spend a couple of days there, mostly the museums, but I'm not sure what I would recommend you to do if you're going to be there and out so quickly. Probably the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame (though it's still under construction), champes elysees and Arc de triomphe. You can easily see all of those in one day if you take the metro or a taxi.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1037 on: March 19, 2024, 05:50:28 AM »
Thanks!

This are wise words here. One can easily get lost with all the grandiose things there are in the city, but it's these quieter parts of town that really give London that special touch.

As far as where to stay, I've always chosen to stay a bit north of Hyde Park (the Paddington Area). It's a nice quiet area, it has metro and train stations nearby and, if you are an early bird and enjoy walking, a stroll trhough the park every morning will lighten up your day. It's also conveniently closed to the Royal Albert Hall if you are planning to visit that.

Paddington is where I had my hotel when I visited London! yeah, good call, should I return to London I'd definitively make camp there again.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1038 on: March 19, 2024, 06:36:51 AM »

Paris is my least favorite place in France so far so I get why you don't want to be there. To be fair, there are some reasons to spend a couple of days there, mostly the museums, but I'm not sure what I would recommend you to do if you're going to be there and out so quickly. Probably the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame (though it's still under construction), champes elysees and Arc de triomphe. You can easily see all of those in one day if you take the metro or a taxi.
I appreciate the information :tup

Yeah, my plan as of right now is to take an early train from London, make it to Paris for breakfast, then do at least 1 museum (Probably Piccaso) and the Eiffel tower. If there is time for more, then I'll consider other places.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: March 19, 2024, 08:26:34 AM »

I appreciate the information :tup

Yeah, my plan as of right now is to take an early train from London, make it to Paris for breakfast, then do at least 1 museum (Probably Piccaso) and the Eiffel tower. If there is time for more, then I'll consider other places.

If you are planning to do Museums my recommendation would be the Musee D'Orsai. If you like impressionism (Monet, Rembrandt, Manet,etc) that place is an absolute goldmine.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #1040 on: March 19, 2024, 09:56:30 AM »
Revisiting my old stomping grounds in Edinburgh in a couple of weeks. Going to be my first time in Scotland since I left almost six years ago, looking forward to it. Though my far forecast, unsurprisingly, is calling for low 50s (fahrenheit obviously) and rain pretty much the entire time I'll be there  :-\

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: March 20, 2024, 03:08:45 AM »
I'll be visiting the south of France next week. Will spend some days in Toulouse and then some in Bourdeaux. I also plan to visit some smaller towns close by while I'm there.

Online axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1042 on: March 24, 2024, 10:54:39 AM »

May be extending this on the front end to squeeze in a day in Copenhagen. A flight from JFK to Prague is ~$1k, whereas a flight from Newark (much more convenient for me) to Copenhagen is $500 and if I fly out on the 1st I can catch the last night of the Big Big Train European tour and then take a $75 flight from Copenhagen to Prague.
Photobucket sucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1043 on: March 25, 2024, 02:34:59 AM »
Copenhagen is lovely, you can't visit it in a day but a day is enough for the "greatest hits" and soak in a bit of nordic atmosphere. Wonderful town, I'd be back there tomorrow if I could.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #1044 on: March 27, 2024, 04:26:22 AM »
May be extending this on the front end to squeeze in a day in Copenhagen. A flight from JFK to Prague is ~$1k, whereas a flight from Newark (much more convenient for me) to Copenhagen is $500 and if I fly out on the 1st I can catch the last night of the Big Big Train European tour and then take a $75 flight from Copenhagen to Prague.

I visited Copenhagen last September. I absolutely love that city. It is clean, and the locals are nice and not as snotty as other Europeans, lol. If you can spare one day, I highly recommend you take the train (45 mins) from the Central station to visit Kronborg Slot (aka Hamlet Castle). The surrounding area is peaceful and beautiful. The town itself is very walkable too.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1045 on: March 27, 2024, 04:40:36 AM »
Can confirm that the danes are a bunch of lovely kind and nice people.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1046 on: March 27, 2024, 06:25:37 PM »
I'm going to be in Orlando for a few days in May. Instead of flying out early on Friday, I'm debating flying home late and hitting up a Disney park for the day. Possibly with some coworkers, but maybe by myself. Given that I was just in Disneyland a few weeks ago, I can't decide which park I would prefer to do. My initial inclination is Magic Kingdom, but there isn't much there that wasn't in Dinseyland. I've never done most of Epcot (ive only been there for a few hours), so I'm thinking about that. It would obviously depend on what my coworkers would want if some of them come. Any strong opinions on which park would make the most sense?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1047 on: March 27, 2024, 06:48:42 PM »
I'm going to be in Orlando for a few days in May. Instead of flying out early on Friday, I'm debating flying home late and hitting up a Disney park for the day. Possibly with some coworkers, but maybe by myself. Given that I was just in Disneyland a few weeks ago, I can't decide which park I would prefer to do. My initial inclination is Magic Kingdom, but there isn't much there that wasn't in Dinseyland. I've never done most of Epcot (ive only been there for a few hours), so I'm thinking about that. It would obviously depend on what my coworkers would want if some of them come. Any strong opinions on which park would make the most sense?

If the choices are between Hollywood Studios and the Animal Kingdom, I'd go with the Animal Kingdom. Definitely a lot more interesting. The safari is actually pretty cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1048 on: March 27, 2024, 08:17:53 PM »
If the choices are between Hollywood Studios and the Animal Kingdom, I'd go with the Animal Kingdom. Definitely a lot more interesting. The safari is actually pretty cool.
I'm open to any of the four parks. I do quite enjoy Animal Kingdom. Not a lot of rides there though

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1049 on: March 28, 2024, 08:21:53 AM »
I'm open to any of the four parks. I do quite enjoy Animal Kingdom. Not a lot of rides there though
As a coaster guy, the only one in Orlando that appeals to me is Universal. The one time I get to the Wang I'll be doing that, maybe Sea World, and heading straight to Tampa.
E.F. Benson