Poll

In your opinion do KISS suck?

Yes
39 (57.4%)
No
29 (42.6%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: KISS suck or not?  (Read 3673 times)

Offline WildRanger

KISS suck or not?
« on: March 08, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
Share your views on KISS.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: KISS suck or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 10:06:53 AM »
No real interest in anything of theirs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:08:08 AM »
Well, depends if they're given with passion or they're more than a peck.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 10:09:40 AM »
No interest in anything of theirs, either. I wouldn't say they suck, though. They were certainly creative and they worked their asses off.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 10:10:05 AM »
Well, depends if they're given with passion or they're more than a peck.
:lol

I'm a sucker for Kiss.  I say not!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »
Kiss, suck or not.  I'll take suck please.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 10:12:16 AM »
KISS is a generally crappy band that had a few good songs 35+ years ago and who had a schtick that worked 35+ years ago but is now just sad.  The only thing of theirs I ever bought was (I think) a 45 RPM single for All Hell's Breaking Loose (and I believe my wife bought Lick It Up).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 10:17:53 AM »
Where's the 'Blow' option? From these options, they suck!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
Kiss suck aye

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 10:26:04 AM »
Nope, I'm a big fan of their music. Can't stand Gene though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »
KISS is not my thing. But I get why people gravitated to them. Just like kids in the late 90s and early 2000s are big on Slipknot. It's a show, an image, all of that. KISS is about partying, and tits and ass, with a larger than life image. All good fun.

I think they suck, but of course, Gene $immon$ and Paul $tanley would just roll by in their Bentleys...and pretty much laugh.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »
Beth is about the only song I would go out of my way to listen to.  But they did introduce hard rock/metal to a lot of young teens so in that regard they did a great job.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »
I don't care for their music. However, they are masters at marketing. The characters and image are what made them and what has kept them around for so long. The image compensated for their lack of good music. Gene Simmons once said that they wanted to be the Beatles of hard rock. They're not even close. If they were a band without the makeup and costumes, they wouldn't have gotten far.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 11:39:52 AM »
If I grew up in the era I'm still not sure if I'd hate them or find them fun enough to enjoy. Perhaps if I was a kid when I discovered them, but I really don't understand why KISS has any staying power with anyone musically - they're pretty bad. Maybe poor Stadler can enlighten us - one of his favorite bands is taking a thrashing here :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 11:39:58 AM »
I want to say no?

But honestly I haven't heard enough of their full catalogue to make a judgement call.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 11:51:43 AM »
I don't care much about their music, but I do appreciate their (and by their, I mean Gene and Paul) bluntness and honesty in interviews.  They make no quarrels that they are in it in the money and would like to make as much money as possible and would put their image on anything if it makes them money.

It's better than them saying they are doing the KISS tours for fabricated reasons that they do this for the art and music and for the fans and money doesn't mean anything in that context (to them, money is everything in the context) and I appreciate that sort of honesty unlike other bands' tours.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 11:59:44 AM »
If Trump was a rock band, I think he would be KISS.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 12:00:42 PM »
If I grew up in the era I'm still not sure if I'd hate them or find them fun enough to enjoy. Perhaps if I was a kid when I discovered them, but I really don't understand why KISS has any staying power with anyone musically - they're pretty bad. Maybe poor Stadler can enlighten us - one of his favorite bands is taking a thrashing here :)
If you were of Eric Foreman's generation you'd have adored them.

It's not surprising that in a DT message board people focus on musicianship, something KISS was fundamentally lacking, but there's more to it than that. They were pioneers in a couple of areas, and one of them includes the music they played which was a core component of their image and their popularity.

I'm curious how they'd be thought of if they'd hung it up back when they should have. They've gone on so long that they've become a parody. Their shtick no longer works when you've got bands doing it for real.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 12:59:57 PM »
It's not even the technical aspect that bothers me, it's just that their songs are like the textbook example of how to make awful rock music  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 01:10:08 PM »
They were my gateway into rock music. I was born in the early 70's, and they were cultural icons in my youth. They wrote some good rock songs from their first album through to Love Gun, and I still go back on occasion and give that stuff a listen. Of course their music is very simplistic, but their aim was never to be more than that with the exception of The Elder.

I'm also torn about Paul and Gene's attitudes. In some ways they never would have achieved their success without being that way. But some of the things that they say is often cringe inducing.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 01:10:19 PM »
I stand with Stadler, they don't suck.

Some stuff is not great, but some is really good.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »
The hottest band in the world?
They inspired huge amounts of musicians and put on the best show around.

They decidedly did not suck.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 02:58:47 PM »
The hottest band in the world?
They inspired huge amounts of musicians and put on the best show around.

They decidedly did not suck.

I agree .

Their goal was to put on the show -as much visual as aural- that nobody else was and they still do.   They have admittedly gone on a decade or more too long , but to me that doesn't diminish their legacy.

A few other points:

- to me each of their albums had a good dose of (basic rock)  filler but many of their best songs were far from simple in terms of songwriting IMHO

- when they tried to get too "smart" it generally WAS a big failure

- as far as Gene and Paul go..............the more I learn the more I am believing that Gene is a kindhearted guy playing the character of an asshole and (at least until he released his book and it became more obvious :lol ) Paul is an asshole playing the nice guy.

I wouldn't say that a lot of the best material of the Stones , Beatles or even Michael Jackson was "complex" , so outside of a prog forum I am not sure that simplicity is a valid critcism  ;D

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

:neverusethis:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:22:29 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »
Well, I have to say that their spider entrance on the last tour was one of the most badass and awesomest things ever witnessed on a stage. And I've only watched it on YouTube, I can imagine what it was like being there!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 03:10:01 PM »
   :metal :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 03:14:04 PM »
So this question about KISS's suckage has me wondering. Does Rammstein suck? I personally like their music better, but they're certainly not overflowing with musicianship. They're a band that plays catchy tunes and offsets their shortcomings with a spectacular stage show. What's the difference aside from personal preference?
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
I think you're getting too metaphysical, Barto.  I think "sucks" in this context can simply be equated with "I don't like them."  So, yes, Rammstein sucks too.  :p
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 03:40:12 PM »
I don't care for their music and I think Gene is pretty arrogant but any band that can survive for 4 decades don't "suck" They must have millions of fans who follow them and love their music, I may not agree but that does take somewhat level of talent and marketing skills.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »
They are a core part of rock/metal DNA in my opinion.

The seventies New York swagger and brazen enthusiasm of their best tracks is totally unbeatable. And Paul has a terrific voice.

90% of their output is very bad... I get why people don't like them. But if you need some pure rock cheese? Accept no substitute.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »
I'm not a fan at all.  Dunno if I'd say they suck though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »
Weird topic, but I don't think you should "suck" while kissing. That's a little weird, and it's a bit noisy. Using a little tongue might be fine, but I would talk it over beforehand because some people aren't in to that. Communication is key to any relationship or spontaneous make out session.

I can't count the number of times I've had make out sessions ruined by slurping noises from sucking. Mainly because you can't really count things that never happened.

Offline SleeperAwake

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 06:16:11 PM »
I've never liked anything I've heard by Kiss. I'm not sure that can be translated into me thinking they "suck".

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
Definitely not. There's plenty of KISS that I like across all eras.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »
Hell no, I'm not a huge fan of them but it just feels stupid to say they "suck." I've enjoyed a lot of what I've heard by them.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2018, 07:33:51 PM »
I find it hard to believe that anyone who loves good straight up hard rock wouldn't at least "really like" those first 6 albums.  Ace is an underrated player, and a lot of those songs shred. 

Everything after the opening six is spotty.  But Creatures of the Night and Lick It Up are good.  I personally think The Elder is amazing, but like Gene once said, "It's a good album, it's just not a good KISS album."   It was just too different for them.   Which is too bad, because I could tell what they were going for.  I actually think it works as a prog rock album (in its original track listing, anyway).
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude