Author Topic: Bent Knee  (Read 7660 times)

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Bent Knee
« on: March 08, 2018, 07:45:24 AM »
I'm still in awe.
I attend many gigs, but last night's Bent Knee concert in Rüsselsheim/Germany probably was one of the best. What a tight and talented band, and humble human beings! They loved the relatively good turnout on a Wednesday (maybe 150 people) and it showed.
I was soo looking forward to finally seeing them after really, really enjoying their last 3 albums (don't know the first one yet) and they blew me away.

Wow.   :hat :tup
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Bent Knee
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »
I've seen them twice, once in a small cafe close to where I live and talked to the band after the show.  They are so powerful live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:03:41 AM »
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
they're awesome live, and just an awesome, consistent band.

Land Animal made my top 5 records last year for good reason.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 08:19:20 AM »
Been on my radar for years now. Just haven't done anything about them yet.

Should probably be on their mailing list too.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 09:02:08 AM »

Be sure to check Shiny Eyed Babies, fantastic record.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 09:48:21 AM »

Be sure to check Shiny Eyed Babies, fantastic record.

It is and I've heard it, but it doesn't mean a damn thing unless I bought the CD.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »
I heard these guys are coming here. Saw they were on Inside Out and thought I heard that name before. I checked out some vids on YouTube, no way am I missing this show. And at $10 a ticket why not. Might end up being the best show of 2018 for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »
These guys are fantastic when they play live, you're in for a treat

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 04:18:42 PM »
Yup, its a nice small venue. 21+ too so I'll be able to take my beer to the stage. I'm not expecting a big crowd, but these guys deserve a descent size.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 11:04:07 AM »
seeing them in July in Minneapolis with Bubblemath.

Should be sweet.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 12:00:14 PM »
I missed them in may.  I had a surgical procedure the day of the concert.  Dammit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 12:30:49 PM »
Oh my god, that was an amazing Show. Really great band. Of course, there wasn't much people at all. Got to chat with them after the show, and got a cd for free. One of the best shows I've been to at that venue.

I would recommend seeing them if you get the chance.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »
bump.

just saw them with Bubblemath last week. Great show!

I wrote a review (many new songs, new album coming, etc):
https://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2018/07/bent-knee-bubblemath-gatherers-71018.html

Also they just shared a live performance of the complete Land Animal!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwtaweXX8s

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 11:44:22 AM »
What the fuck, I just discovered these through Google Music, and wanted to start a thread about it!!! It's so good!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »
Awesome they played the entire album live. Those songs are way better live. I really hope I can make the Denver date for Haken.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »
I am going to see Haken, Leprous and Bent Knee in Nashville, TN in November.  I need to starting listening to Leprous and Bent Knee. Three bands in a standing only club.  I know I will be exhausted after that show.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »
Just picked up their latest album since they're opening for Haken, and I dig it. Suppose that's a good thing since I'm potentially going to four Haken/Leprous/Benkt Knee shows :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 12:52:24 PM »
Just picked up their latest album since they're opening for Haken, and I dig it. Suppose that's a good thing since I'm potentially going to four Haken/Leprous/Benkt Knee shows :lol

I've seen them twice bill and the lead singer is a powerhouse.  Such a unique voice.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »
Them being support is really good exposure for them.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 12:54:13 PM »

I've seen them twice bill and the lead singer is a powerhouse.  Such a unique voice.

Her and the bassist are awesome.

The ending of Land Animal is majestic live.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »

Her and the bassist are awesome.

The ending of Land Animal is majestic live.

i saw them in this little restaurant/bar.  It was so unreal.  We stayed and talked to the whole band after the gig.  the other time was at RoSfest 2 years ago.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 12:57:53 PM »
I'll see them when I go see Haken I guess!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »

Their music is nothing like Haken.  I suggest listening to a few albums.  They are not an easy listen but there are so many layers that it takes multiple listens to get them.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 01:13:30 PM »
Yeah, I was surprised when I first spun the album. I dig a little diversity in the bill though.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 01:15:26 PM »
Add me to the crew that wants to check them out since I found out they are opening for Haken.  Never heard of them before that announcement, but I haven't yet checked them out.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »

Their music is nothing like Haken.  I suggest listening to a few albums.  They are not an easy listen but there are so many layers that it takes multiple listens to get them.

Interesting statement. Maybe it's because my music tastes have drifted from standard prog these days, I immediately thought "holy crap, this is really good".

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »

Interesting statement. Maybe it's because my music tastes have drifted from standard prog these days, I immediately thought "holy crap, this is really good".

Well, you know me Rumbo,  I'm not one to stand still musically but some don't like to venture out of their comfort zone.  Plus it's really different from what's out there and it takes most a few spins to wrap your head around it's complexity and how different it is compared to what's out there.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 01:50:38 PM »
I passed on seeing them live which I sort of regret but also not. Was in a pretty small venue that's very hard to reach without a car (me). I've been there once to see Haken and had to miss the encore (Celestial Elixir) to catch the last train back.

With Bent Knee I don't mind as much because I think they mostly play material off their 2 less good albums (I'd say Land Animal is the consistently ok album and Say So is the super unbalanced album with a couple really good ones and some forgettable stuff) opposed to Shiny Eyed Babies, but they still seem like a band that's worth seeing some day.

I based the decision on the terrible location though, I haven't actually checked whether their setlists are unbalanced or not.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »

Well, you know me Rumbo,  I'm not one to stand still musically but some don't like to venture out of their comfort zone.  Plus it's really different from what's out there and it takes most a few spins to wrap your head around it's complexity and how different it is compared to what's out there.

BTW, you are aware they are playing tomorrow in Harvard Square? Just bought tickets for me and my gf.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »
I am but I'm seeing the Foo Fighters on Saturday night.  There's a little place in Nashua, N.H. they play that is so damn cozy and I can't believe they play there every year.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 09:06:20 PM »
Warglafbabrsbagsge...

Just got back from the concert. It was sooooo good!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2018, 04:46:44 AM »
Warglafbabrsbagsge...

Just got back from the concert. It was sooooo good!

First time seeing them live?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2018, 09:32:24 AM »
Around the time of Land Animals release this band was creating a lot of buzz, and so I check them, and the new album out. I very clearly see why this band has the early buzz and following it does, but they just weren't clicking for me. Then of course it was announced they are touring with Haken, and so I'll likely see them four times. So now I've been spinning Land Animals again and although I'm still not in love with them, I feel like I will be better prepared for their set.

Edit: And to those that have seen them live, are they all always active on stage? I honestly don't know who all does what, but from what I hear I rarely if ever would think it's a six piece band.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »
Ben Levin, their guitarist seems to move around a bit. Headbangs, etc.

Their violinist Chris Baum also switches from Violin, to Guitar, to keys I recall.

Also to note, they have not been with the services of their drummer Gavin Wallace-Ailsworth since late June after he fell and broke his leg after their show in San Francisco. He had a successful surgery done a few weeks ago.

I think it was the drummer from Gatherers, Adam Cichocki that filled-in

Although when the Haken tour begins, Gavin hopefully will be back behind the kit again for them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:28:22 PM by SoundscapeMN »