Author Topic: Lost in Space - NETFLIX  (Read 5302 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Lost in Space - NETFLIX
« on: March 06, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
Anyone else planning on watching this? Looks pretty cool. But, I have an admission...I've never seen a single episode of the original series or the movie they made a few years back. I 'know' about Lost in Space, but watching this would be my first exposure to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmM0AB60QQ#action=share
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Lost in Space - NETFLIX
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 02:20:22 PM »
I seriously doubt familiarity with the original is required.  :lol

Not really my sort of thing, but it could be alright. I find the constant need to link new things with old things annoying AF, though. A reboot is one thing. It's lazy, but it doesn't have to suck. Making a fundamentally different show, with different concepts, different characters, different everything and linking it to a known title sucks, though. Why not just call this thing Star Wars? Or Home Alone? What difference does it make? Or better still, make a good program and call it Stranded. Or Marooned. Eight Guys on a Planet?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 06:30:33 PM »
So the Robot is now an alien that the kid finds on a planet they crashed on?

Parker Posey is the evil doctor?

I mean, might be good. But I agree with Lisa's brother up there. Why not call this thing something else? Literally, if you change their names, ditch the line "Danger Will Robinson" and change the name of the show, and I wouldn't have ever said "wow that's just like Lost in Space!" I would have said. Oh cool, another sci fi show. I like sci fi shows. Then I would have been very skeptical of Parker Posey like I am now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »
Huge fan of the original show. I have the Blu-ray box set of the series, so.

I also enjoyed the movie more than most. Loved that Robot was voiced by the original guy and Gary Oldman was the perfect choice for Dr. Smith. The original cast cameos were cool too.

I will check this out, but it does seem quite a departure. I am unsure of Parker Posey as Smith, but will keep an open mind until I see how this thing plays out.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 09:08:55 PM »
Looks like every other modern TV show / movie, where they dig up a franchise simply for name recognition, but instead take the most surface level attributes and plug it into the generic modern Hollywood fad style and dull cliche storytelling. Take out the clip of the weird looking robot saying "Danger Will Robinson" and you wouldn't even know what this is. Why bother.

(I'm not a fan of old Lost in Space btw)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 12:42:18 AM »
Who wants to bet that the creators/writers/whatever of this originally pitched it as an original series, and then some clever studio exec realized they'd make no money off of an original show and changed it to be a Lost in Space reboot?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 06:28:45 AM »
Who wants to bet that the creators/writers/whatever of this originally pitched it as an original series, and then some clever studio exec realized they'd make no money off of an original show and changed it to be a Lost in Space reboot?

Yeah....they pitched the show and then one of the execs just said “Sounds like Lost in Space”

I know I’ll check it out, and most likely finish however many episodes there are. It definitely looks like they sunk some cash into the production....here’s hoping that the writing is on par as well. At this point, NETFLIX has a good track record for my tastes so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »

Yeah....they pitched the show and then one of the execs just said “Sounds like Lost in Space”

I know I’ll check it out, and most likely finish however many episodes there are. It definitely looks like they sunk some cash into the production....here’s hoping that the writing is on par as well. At this point, NETFLIX has a good track record for my tastes so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt

Yeah, this looks like they put some $$$$ into this. :tup Don't really care if it's reboot or not, yes I've seen all of the originals eps at one time or another, just hope the writing and acting is good enough here to keep me interested. As you stated, Netflix has been killin' it lately, so hi hopes here.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 04:02:10 AM »
The first five episodes have been shown to the reviewers and there seems to be a lot positivity towards it so far.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 04:38:58 AM »
I seen the preview this past weekend as I was in the middle of binging on Hell on Wheels. It looks like it might have some possibilities.

On a side note, I understand being frustrated with reboots, but two recent examples of them working out very well with sci-fi titles do come to mind. Battle Star Gallactica and Planet of the Apes were both top notch, in my opinion.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 06:27:11 AM »
I don’t have a big issue with reboots, especially if they can improve on the original given current technology.

I get the ‘knock’ as far as “can’t you come up with something original?” But like I said....if you can improve the original then go for it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 07:28:41 AM »
Three episodes in and its been alright. Nothing particularly outstanding about it but it’s done a good enough job of creating a neat story and moving that story along pretty well.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 06:39:52 AM »
Finished the first season. I thought it was really well done. I can see them getting another season or two. Pretty good character development and the story kept moving along. It was rated PG, so keep that in mind as you watch. They’re definitely trying to nab some of the younger audience.

But all in all I liked it.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 06:17:17 AM »
Watched the whole thing on the weekend and it was very good. The one thing that was really a downer is Parker Posey's character Dr. Smith. Way too much emphasis on this character and just plain annoying.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 06:30:43 AM »
Watched the whole thing on the weekend and it was very good. The one thing that was really a downer is Parker Posey's character Dr. Smith. Way too much emphasis on this character and just plain annoying.

Agreed. That was the only thing I could see ‘wrong’ with the show. Luckily I think the show overcame any of that annoyance of them focusing on her.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 08:30:43 AM »
Watched the first episode last night.  Seemed OK - slightly worried the kids might become annoying, they did seem rather precocious.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »
Yea was about to say something similar, very annoying character indeed.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Adami

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »
I'll try giving this a watch, but Parker Posey was my main concern from the concept.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 10:26:41 AM »
Yea was about to say something similar, very annoying character indeed.

Agreed, a little too far over the top. Enjoyed the season though. :tup

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 10:46:29 PM »
Just finished binging this recently. As a huge fan of the original series I was quite happy with it. I got a lot of fun just looking for nuggets and homages to the original. They definitely honored the original and put some stuff in there for the old fans.

I also wasn't keen on 'Dr. Smith'. I'm at least glad that she really isn't Dr. Smith. She's just too evil. I did absolutely love that the real Dr. Smith that she stole the identity of was played by Billy Mumy, the original Will Robinson. I had to rewind to verify and thought that was super cool.

All in all, it definitely had the feel of an Irwin Allen style production. Non-stop disaster, which was his strong suit.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2019, 01:30:28 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFz-3QsXR58

Season 2 trailer. I saw some promotional stuff at NY Comic Con and didn’t even realize until now (a full 24 hours later) they were promoting season 2 lol looks pretty good :tup
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »
I honestly just assumed it got cancelled.

Happy to be wrong! Hopefully they fix the Smith character. Love Parker Posey but did not enjoy that take on the character.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 07:19:38 AM »
(8) episodes in to this (10) episode season. If you liked the first season you'll like this one. Same type of 'vibe' just different issues to solve.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 08:36:49 AM »
I liked the first season.  Haven't had time to start season 2.  Too much good TV to watch.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 08:55:13 AM »
I liked the first season.  Haven't had time to start season 2.  Too much good TV to watch.

Two of my sons left yesterday at 4:00 to spend the night at their friends house.....my wife left around 5:00 to go to dinner with her friends.....so my youngest son and I started S2 around 5:30 and binged watched it all night  :lol  On the level of utterly failing as a father and just sitting and watching TV with your kid and doing nothing productive I nailed it....but, it was nice to just sit and do nothing for a while.

There really is entirely too much cool TV to be watched out there. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 12:53:42 PM »
Anything annoying this season if you know what I mean?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 04:02:17 PM »
Anything annoying this season if you know what I mean?

Compared to S1 not quite as annoying....more attempt to develop that character.....but that character remains in more or less the ‘same’ place in the story. Up to no good.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2019, 04:21:06 PM »
Ok, I'll give it a try.  :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2020, 12:40:16 PM »
For me S2 was better than S1. Fun action and I guess I’m getting old and sappy but there were several scenes where my eyes welled up a bit. The parent/kid moments got me.

Clearly they’ve set it up for a S3.....I hope they get to do it cuz the way they left it sets up something interesting.

Offline Adami

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
Finished season 2.

Started off a bit slow but I ended up mostly really liking it.

Still don't like Smith, and didn't like the new bad guy. And it felt like they just forgot how to write Don West, he didn't really have a personality here, as opposed to a bunch of quips.

Still, pretty good. Hoping they wrap up season 3 since we all know Netflix won't approve it past that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 11:26:32 AM »
I'm about five episodes into Season 2. I'll come back when done to discuss. It has been ok so far, but seems like it is dragging a little bit.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 05:28:56 AM »
I cannot stand Dr Smith, every scene with her just makes me sigh even more. I can tolerate every other objection I have with the show but she just grinds my gears so much.  :lol

She's just so weak as a character and her actions are too transparent for me to believe.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2020, 12:29:11 PM »
Finished Season Two over the weekend. I think I preferred Season One, although Season Two wasn't bad. Dr. Smith is just an awful, awful person. And whoever does her hair/makeup really does a great job of bringing out the slightly off-kilter/evil look out of her too. I'll check out Season Three when it gets made, but I hope it is a little better. I just think things never really went anywhere. I mean, we got some good character development, but we never really advanced the story. Probably very necessary, but it made for a bit of a slow watch.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2020, 02:23:15 PM »
I mean, we got some good character development, but we never really advanced the story. Probably very necessary, but it made for a bit of a slow watch.

This is my largest complaint as well....but....I mean, they have to somehow keep them 'lost in space' right? Doesn't exactly work if they just make it to Alpha Centuri and that is that  :lol 

I think it's a fun show....it's PG so it's not like the story line is going to get too crazy.....me and my kiddos have fun with it so that's all it really takes for me to like it. Cool visuals....silly humor....just a 'fun' show.

Offline Adami

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2020, 03:25:01 PM »
It's weird that it's lost in space though. Cause for the most part, it's more.....stuck with a whole bunch of other people trying to get somewhere.

I feel like the ending was the first time they would actually be lost in space. Having the space station just felt too safe. Be lost! Go nuts!
fanticide.bandcamp.com