Poll

Blizzard of Ozz or Holy Diver?

Blizzard of Ozz  - Ozzy Osbourne
23 (44.2%)
Holy Diver - Dio
29 (55.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Blizzard of Ozz or Holy Diver?  (Read 3460 times)

Offline WildRanger

Blizzard of Ozz or Holy Diver?
« on: March 02, 2018, 02:15:25 PM »
Which debut?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Blizzard of Ozz or Holy Diver?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »
Damn this one is tough. I honestly don't know. I prefer Ronnie as a singer, but both records have killer tunes. Holy Diver, by a hair.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 02:25:13 PM »
While Dio owns Ozzy vocally I like the overall music on Blizzard much more. Easy vote.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 02:28:34 PM »
I had to check The TAC Top 50, and I have Blizzard (and Diary) at 25 and Holy Diver at 11.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
Ozzy, but both are masterpieces.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 03:17:03 PM »
Blizzard. That was easy. Always thought Holy Diver was nothing special.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »
Dio all the way
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »
Dio, without any hesitation

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 03:47:26 PM »
HD is the better album. Had the poll been HD against DoaM it would have been Ozzy by miles.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »
Ozzy, but both are masterpieces.

I was ready to say this same thing, but RJD instead of Ozzy. Two amazing records, no doubt.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 04:46:23 PM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 06:05:56 PM »
This is really tough.  I went with Holy Diver because RJD >>> Ozzy as a singer and Holy Diver's songs are more consistently strong.  There's no Goodbye to Romance or No Bone Movies on Holy Diver.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 07:03:45 PM »
Damn this one is tough. I honestly don't know. I prefer Ronnie as a singer, but both records have killer tunes. Holy Diver, by a hair.

This except I would choose Blizzard by a hair.  I love Dio's lyrics but the lyrics on Blizzard are amazing.  Of course, Ozzy didn't write them. 

BTW, going to see Last in Line (the band) for the second and third time next month.  They are outstanding live.  Vivian is such a cool guy too.  I'm so glad he decided to undisown his time in the band. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 01:55:35 AM »
Blizzard of Ozz.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 02:00:26 AM »
Blizzard easy
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 03:55:28 AM »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline max_security

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 07:41:54 AM »
To me this was Randy Rhodes vs RJD. Randy was brought down a little with the vocals in his band but his performances on Blizzard make it better than Holy Diver for me. But RJD and Vivian Campbell had an amazing run with some really good tunes.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 08:23:39 AM »
Wow.  This might be the hardest one of all the polls here.  Two LEGENDARY albums, two legendary front men...   Wow.

Dio beats Ozzy in vocals.
Randy beats Vivian in guitars.
Bain beats Daisley (for me) on bass.
Kerslake beats Appice (for me) on drums.
Songs are a tie, though the best of Blizzard beats the best of Holy Diver, and the worst of Blizzard is worse than the worst of Holy Diver.

Arrgghhh...   Diary was way better than Last In Line, though so I'm going to give the nod to Holy Diver.  This could change at a moments notice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 09:44:11 AM »
Wow.  This might be the hardest one of all the polls here.  Two LEGENDARY albums, two legendary front men...   Wow.

Songs are a tie, though the best of Blizzard beats the best of Holy Diver, and the worst of Blizzard is worse than the worst of Holy Diver.

Arrgghhh...   Diary was way better than Last In Line, though so I'm going to give the nod to Holy Diver.  This could change at a moments notice.

I agree with everything in this post.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 12:11:29 PM »
Blizzard. Solo Dio is cheesy AF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 01:06:32 PM »

Not even close. Bane isn't in the same league as Daisly. Bob came up with some great stuff that was damn near playing lead. I can't think of anything JB did that was memorable. This is about like comparing Steve Harris to Ian Hill.

No contest about Kerslake, though. Both Appices are overrated, but at least Carmine has a style and some creativity.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 03:41:56 PM »
Vinnie definitely has his own style. I hate it.

Offline max_security

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 04:14:41 PM »

Not even close. Bane isn't in the same league as Daisly. Bob came up with some great stuff that was damn near playing lead. I can't think of anything JB did that was memorable. This is about like comparing Steve Harris to Ian Hill.

No contest about Kerslake, though. Both Appices are overrated, but at least Carmine has a style and some creativity.

I agree. Bob Daisly was probably a better songwriter than the other members of both bands combined. I also agree that he is the much better bass player in this conversation.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »
Blizzard
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »

I agree. Bob Daisly was probably a better songwriter than the other members of both bands combined. I also agree that he is the much better bass player in this conversation.

Well, let me preface by saying that it's FOR ME, and I really cannot stand that burpy style that Daisley has (like in the intro to Believer), but it's not a coincidence that some of the best of Rainbow (for me) was with Bain, and the best of Dio solo (for me) was with Bain.   As for songwriting, yeah, Daisley has some fame for the lyrics he did and the lawsuits over royalties, but a) I can't believe it's THAT hard to write with Randy Rhoades, and b) Bain deserves a lot more credit for those first two or three Dio records than he gets.  If you listen to the "Wild Horses" records he did with Brian Robertson, he's no slouch with a pen, either. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 09:50:44 AM »
Stadler, I’m totally with you on Bain. Not taking anything away from Daisley.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 06:18:56 PM »
Name something that Bain did that was particularly interesting. I can think of plenty of songs where Daisley was on fire. To me it's like comparing Les Binks to Dave Holland. If you just want somebody who can play a steady bassline, then Bain's as good as anybody else, I suppose. If you want somebody that can be melodic and hold his own in a band full of heavyweights he's not going to cut it, but Dasiley did. As much as BoO was about Randy Rhodes, DoaM is about Daisley/Kerslake.

Honestly, is there' some Bain stuff that I'm overlooking? When I think of BD I think of Steel Away or SATO where the guy's a beast. When I think of Jimmy Bain I think of how board I am.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »
Name something that Bain did that was particularly interesting. I can think of plenty of songs where Daisley was on fire. To me it's like comparing Les Binks to Dave Holland. If you just want somebody who can play a steady bassline, then Bain's as good as anybody else, I suppose. If you want somebody that can be melodic and hold his own in a band full of heavyweights he's not going to cut it, but Dasiley did. As much as BoO was about Randy Rhodes, DoaM is about Daisley/Kerslake.

Honestly, is there' some Bain stuff that I'm overlooking? When I think of BD I think of Steel Away or SATO where the guy's a beast. When I think of Jimmy Bain I think of how board I am.

I'm with you on this El Barto.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
Name something that Bain did that was particularly interesting.

Stargazer??

I found Bain's work on Gary Moore's Dirty Fingers album more interesting than anything Daisley did on like 10 other Gary Moore albums.

If you just want somebody who can play a steady bassline, then Bain's as good as anybody else, 

That's how I feel about Daisley, who I do like.

When I think of BD I think of Steel Away or SATO where the guy's a beast.

He sure is.

Hey I like Daisley. He is as steady and professional as you can get. The Les Binks to Dave Holland comparison is nuts though. I'm not saying Bain blows him away or anything, but I find Daisley to be the more safe player.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:00:26 PM by TAC »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 05:55:04 AM »
The mighty Jabba asks................WHY?!?!?!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2018, 07:50:44 AM »

Hey I like Daisley. He is as steady and professional as you can get. The Les Binks to Dave Holland comparison is nuts though. I'm not saying Bain blows him away or anything, but I find Daisley to be the more safe player.

I'm kind of with TAC on this.   It's not like we're talking Chris Squire versus, well, me, but I've already said, sometimes Daisley has that burp-y tone that I DON'T like.  So it's not like Daisley blows or anything - he doesn't - and the band "Blizzard of Ozz" is probably my favorite Ozzy band by far. 

I'll have to go back and listen to see if I can find a specific bass line. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2018, 09:20:10 AM »

It's hard to describe. there's this hesitation that runs through his drumming that I find distracting. His style is great for songs like Black Sabbath and The Sign Of The Southern Cross, but I've never really been a fan.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »
While Dio owns Ozzy vocally I like the overall music on Blizzard much more. Easy vote.
This.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 12:45:16 PM »

It's hard to describe. there's this hesitation that runs through his drumming that I find distracting. His style is great for songs like Black Sabbath and The Sign Of The Southern Cross, but I've never really been a fan.
Jabba now presses the button and feeds you to the Rancor! Just kidding, I actually see where you are coming from. Gotta love Vivian Campbell's guitar work though..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 01:11:54 PM »

Not even close. [Bain] isn't in the same league as Daisly. Bob came up with some great stuff that was damn near playing lead. I can't think of anything JB did that was memorable. This is about like comparing Steve Harris to Ian Hill..

Agree on all fronts.  I remember hearing an interview in which Ronnie was praising Jimmy Bain, and the best he could come up with was that he's really "steady."  I remember telling the guitar player in my band that, if "steady" was the most significant thing about my bass playing that he could come up with, then he shouldn't say anything at all.

Bain's playing is also buried on all of the Dio albums by extra rhythm tracks.  Blizzard and Diary were better produced so that you could actually hear all of the instruments.

it's not a coincidence that some of the best of Rainbow (for me) was with Bain, and the best of Dio solo (for me) was with Bain.

I think it was a coincidence.  Rising was written entirely by Blackmore and Dio.  Bain is only credited on a little more than half of the tracks on the first four Dio albums (he also got a couple of credits on Lock up the Wolves, but I won't hold that against him).  We have no way of knowing exactly what he contributed to each song, but his playing is practically invisible on most songs.

Name something that Bain did that was particularly interesting.

Stargazer??

Stargazer is one of my all-time favorite songs, but it sure as heck isn't because of Jimmy Bain's bass playing

In terms of performance, Daisley's playing on the first few Ozzy albums is light years ahead of Bain's playing with Dio.

By the way, I think part of this equation is Daisley's tone, which I generally like, but which is really annoying on a couple songs -- Tonight being the clearest example.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung