Poll

Pick one or two guys: Page or Iommi or Blackmore or May or Lifeson or Gilmour or Halen?

Jimmy Page (Zep)
18 (12.2%)
Tony Iommi (Sabbath)
14 (9.5%)
Ritchie Blackmore (Purple, Rainbow)
15 (10.2%)
Brian May (Queen)
19 (12.9%)
Alex Lifeson (Rush)
33 (22.4%)
David Gilmour (Floyd)
31 (21.1%)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
17 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: POLL: 7 classic rock guitarists!  (Read 4002 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: POLL: 7 classic rock guitarists!
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2018, 02:52:14 PM »
Lifeson and Gilmour.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2018, 08:29:42 AM »
How is Ritchie Blackmore in last place in this poll??  That defies reason.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »
How is Ritchie Blackmore in last place in this poll??  That defies my taste.
Fixed.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2018, 09:07:13 AM »
Gilmour and Blackmore for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »

The others are all way better.  Sometimes a simple question requires a simple answer. :biggrin:

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2018, 05:46:44 PM »

I'm with you. Blackmore is easily my favourite of the classic rock guitarists. That Gypsy's Kiss unison doesn't get anywhere near enough love!

Gilmour gets my second vote.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2018, 07:58:31 PM »
How is Ritchie Blackmore in last place in this poll??  That defies my taste.
Fixed.

Well, duh.  Hahaha.   It was more of an observation than a literal expression of opinion as fact.  :)   I get it.  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2018, 08:00:55 PM »
Speaking of Blackmore, if you could pick one album to show someone what he's all about, which would it be?
Question for anyone..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2018, 08:36:38 PM »
Speaking of Blackmore, if you could pick one album to show someone what he's all about, which would it be?
Question for anyone..

Machine Head is probably his most famous, but Perfect Strangers is my favorite DP album. A side question about Perfect Strangers, I was told years ago that RB played cello at the beginning of Knocking at your back door. Stadler, do you know if this is true?

Then there's Rainbow Rising. That album is a fuckin' monster!

Just picking between those three would be tough.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline max_security

« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2018, 08:50:42 PM »
Perfect Strangers or Rainbow Rising I agree.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2018, 08:55:34 PM »
Question for anyone..

In Rock, Made in Japan, Rainbow Debut 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2018, 09:01:34 PM »
I voted Steve Howe and Pete Townshend.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2018, 10:51:45 PM »
I’m only bringing this up because 1) we are talking about classic rock guitar players, and the abilities of some that are not on the poll and 2) there is a recent thread about AC/DC. 

...and I’m telling you right now that Angus Young is possibly the most UNDERRATED soloist in classic rock.   He gets completely overlooked because he is in a “only 3 chords” band, but I can count the number of guitarists who’s solos I have actually memorized *note for note* because they were so memorable and perfect...and Angus is easily in the top 3.   Soul Stripper, Riff Raff, and Let There Be Rock are particularly excellent examples.   I’m positive I can’t be alone in this opinion.   I have even heard (in the past, though exactly who does admittedly slip my mind) respected guitarists sing Angus’ praises and insist that he gets overlooked because the music is so simplistic...but his solos are amazing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2018, 06:07:49 AM »
Question for anyone..

In Rock. Nuff said.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2018, 07:22:41 AM »
Question for anyone..

Made In Japan or Long Live Rock and Roll.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2018, 07:45:50 AM »
Stadler, do you know if this is true?

Well, with two caveats - one, I wasn't there, and two, Blackmore can be notoriously vague about stuff like that - I have heard that as well.  I have also heard that there is cello on Long Live Rock and Roll (the album), too (well, there is officially cello on "Rainbow Eyes", but Blackmore didn't take credit for it; he played bass on half that album and didn't take credit for that either, at least originally, so...). He has said specifically that he wrote Stargazer and Gates of Babylon on cello, and that he has recorded the cello on backing track for songs, but that's it. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2018, 07:47:52 AM »
I’m only bringing this up because 1) we are talking about classic rock guitar players, and the abilities of some that are not on the poll and 2) there is a recent thread about AC/DC. 

...and I’m telling you right now that Angus Young is possibly the most UNDERRATED soloist in classic rock.   He gets completely overlooked because he is in a “only 3 chords” band, but I can count the number of guitarists who’s solos I have actually memorized *note for note* because they were so memorable and perfect...and Angus is easily in the top 3.   Soul Stripper, Riff Raff, and Let There Be Rock are particularly excellent examples.   I’m positive I can’t be alone in this opinion.   I have even heard (in the past, though exactly who does admittedly slip my mind) respected guitarists sing Angus’ praises and insist that he gets overlooked because the music is so simplistic...but his solos are amazing.

For a band that gets slagged so often for being "a three chord band" who has made the same album "17 times" (even Malcolm said that in an interview that is on the "Plug Me In" set), Angus's solos are rather diverse.   He's really good.   I've often said that I would love love love to hear him and Malcolm in a room, with two acoustic guitars... obviously that will never happen, but there's a snippet of the two of them playing backstage before a show in '83 on the Plug Me In set; I ripped the DVD and made a track out of it and it's really cool to hear.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »

I would agree that he's underrated (and that the "AC/DC is a 3-chord band" thing is overplayed).  However, I don't think that he's anything particularly special (which may, in and of itself, constitute underrating him, but so be it).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2018, 04:22:17 PM »

I would agree that he's underrated (and that the "AC/DC is a 3-chord band" thing is overplayed).  However, I don't think that he's anything particularly special (which may, in and of itself, constitute underrating him, but so be it).

I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
Gilmour and Lifeson, both had incredible sense of melody and are able to write the perfect solo for the song.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2018, 01:44:41 AM »
Angus is a really good bluesy solo player, but AC/DC is all about the rhythm and groove. So yeah, he's good but he's nothing special. I don't know if he's underrated though.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2018, 08:40:44 AM »
Pure speculation, and so not relevant to this conversation, but I feel like Angus is one of those guys that, in his living room, can bang out  the entire Mussgorsky Pictures At An Exhibition piece on acoustic guitar.   Or maybe I'd just like to think that. 

I think - for me anyway - as much as I love AC/DC, their singular focus has  not gained them credibility, but lost them a little credibility.   People change.  People grow.  People evolve.   Someone like Ritchie Blackmore - who is way off the reservation compared to his work with Deep Purple - to me has followed his muse.   Even Eddie VH; Van Halen today doesn't sound like Van Halen from 1978.   Other than my taste in women ("I get older, they seem to stay the same age") there is very little I like now at 50 to the same degree I liked it when I was 20.   Even Iron Maiden went prog, then dropped an acoustic song into the mix.    By staying so singular in their approach, it sort of smacks of calculation and "product". 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2018, 09:02:40 AM »
Pure speculation, and so not relevant to this conversation, but I feel like Angus is one of those guys that, in his living room, can bang out  the entire Mussgorsky Pictures At An Exhibition piece on acoustic guitar.   Or maybe I'd just like to think that. 

I think - for me anyway - as much as I love AC/DC, their singular focus has  not gained them credibility, but lost them a little credibility.   People change.  People grow.  People evolve.   Someone like Ritchie Blackmore - who is way off the reservation compared to his work with Deep Purple - to me has followed his muse.   Even Eddie VH; Van Halen today doesn't sound like Van Halen from 1978.   Other than my taste in women ("I get older, they seem to stay the same age") there is very little I like now at 50 to the same degree I liked it when I was 20.   Even Iron Maiden went prog, then dropped an acoustic song into the mix.    By staying so singular in their approach, it sort of smacks of calculation and "product".

But once in awhile....it still feels really good that my Levi 501’s are still the same. So it’s kinda like that.

And people mention Angus dismissively as being “a decent blues player”, and in the same breath, we’re singing the praises of Gilmour.  :-\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2018, 09:29:12 AM »
Not sure what to say about that; Gilmour is gifted, if not in his note choice, then his technique for delivering it.   One of the highlights of my concert-going experience is sitting in the old new Yankee Stadium and watching Gilmour deliver an extended version of the "Comfortably Numb" solo... the guy can play.