Poll

Master of Puppets or Rust in Peace?

Metallica - Master of Puppets
80 (72.1%)
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
31 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Author Topic: Master of Puppets or Rust in Peace?  (Read 5663 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Master of Puppets or Rust in Peace?
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2020, 06:47:04 PM »
Puppets. But RiP has the best opening punch with Holy Wars and Hangar 18. But Puppets is a better overall record.

Yeah................Puppets the better, more consistent album but the high points of RIP are higher IMO.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2020, 06:47:57 PM »
WUT???
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2020, 07:07:49 PM »
WUT???

Pretend you are a guitarist  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2020, 07:09:00 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2020, 07:09:52 PM »
Not enough mellow, goth growlies on RIP for you?

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2020, 07:10:24 PM »
hah!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2020, 07:20:51 PM »
MOP.  Not even in the same league for me.  Actually, I would also take Ride the Lightning over RIP also.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2020, 07:34:06 PM »
Apparently, I said it two years ago in this same thread, but I still feel the same way.   RiP isn't even Megadeth's best album IMHO.   As a few people have said, the highs are higher, but there's too much filler.   As an album, I cling to the apparently unpopular opinion that SFSGSW is their masterpiece.  There's not a single track on that album I ever skip, and all 8 songs are 10/10.   That would be the only album from Megadeth that would come close to Puppets...but MoP still wins by a hair.   

But OTOH, I will echo the sentiment that Holy Wars alone crushes anything Metallica ever did.   IMO, that is *the* greatest thrash song ever written.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2020, 07:36:08 PM »
Apparently, I said it two years ago in this same thread, but I still feel the same way.   RiP isn't even Megadeth's best album IMHO.   As a few people have said, the highs are higher, but there's too much filler.   As an album, I cling to the apparently unpopular opinion that SFSGSW is their masterpiece.  There's not a single track on that album I ever skip, and all 8 songs are 10/10.   

:metal

Check the What Album Are You Listening Thread. I just spun this a little over an hour ago. It EASILIY my favorite Megadeth album. In My Darkest Hour still gives me goosebumps.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2020, 07:46:53 PM »
Apparently, I said it two years ago in this same thread, but I still feel the same way.   RiP isn't even Megadeth's best album IMHO.   As a few people have said, the highs are higher, but there's too much filler.   As an album, I cling to the apparently unpopular opinion that SFSGSW is their masterpiece.  There's not a single track on that album I ever skip, and all 8 songs are 10/10.   

Check the What Album Are You Listening Thread. I just spun this a little over an hour ago. It EASILIY my favorite Megadeth album. In My Darkest Hour still gives me goosebumps.

:metal :metal :metal

I was really disappointed with the remix though.  I'm glad I have the original.   The horns in ITLOH just seemed really strange to me.  But according to the linear notes, Dave intended them to be there in the beginning, and I think he said they got buried in the mix?   I've heard that album a thousand times, and you never would have been able to convince me they were even there.     I like the original mix far better on that one. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2020, 07:50:38 PM »

:metal :metal :metal

I was really disappointed with the remix though.  I'm glad I have the original.   The horns in ITLOH just seemed really strange to me.  But according to the linear notes, Dave intended them to be there in the beginning, and I think he said they got buried in the mix?   I've heard that album a thousand times, and you never would have been able to convince me they were even there.     I like the original mix far better on that one.

So, it's funny you said that. I originally started listening to the remaster on Spotify, and when ITLOH started, I was like WTF? I thought I had another window open. It was fucking weird.
So I grabbed my iPod to listen to the original album, and goddamn, there they were buried in the mix. Now having seen the band live weeks before the album's release, and buying it on its release day, I have never at anytime in the last 32 years EVER heard that before.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2020, 08:25:14 PM »
This is a tough call as these are probably my two favorite metal albums. It’s like choosing between my children.

Master of Puppets is so influential- it busted the door wide open for the musical possibilities in metal. 

On the other hand, Rust in Peace shut the door on thrash. It’s basically the pinnacle, the culmination of everything Mustaine (and Hetfield) started. Nothing before or after has touched it in the thrash genre.   

Overall I’d have to say Master of Puppets is more important, influential, iconic. But I do find RiP a lot more fun...

Online Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2020, 09:42:27 PM »
Not my favourite Metallica album, not my favourite Megadeth album.

I like Master better though.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2020, 07:44:21 AM »
Voted Rust but too close to call. If it had been against Ride, Ride would have won.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2020, 09:07:22 AM »
Unpopular opinion: I never liked the main guitar riff in Master of Puppets that much, it sounds generic and meh to me.
Holy Wars has a much better and more imaginative main riff.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:25:33 AM by WildRanger »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2020, 10:46:52 AM »
Still not close.  Of course, you could put Rust in Peace up against Celine Dion's greatest hits, and I'd still not vote for RiP.

What do you have against Megadeth so much?

So...now, in late April 2020, you're reviving a thread that's been dormant over two years to question a comment I made in February 2018?!

Even though the statute of limitations has expired, I'll answer:  I can't stand Dave Mustaine's "singing" (and, secondarily, I think the guitar tone I've heard on every Megadeath song I've ever heard sucks).

I'd say what does he have against Celine Dion  :D

That's the Way It Is is a great song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »
I apparently never voted in this particular iteration of the WildRanger poll series.

My unpopular opinion is that MoP is not among Metallica's strongest releases. It's probably their least melodic entry (and melody is very important to me), maybe with the exception of KEA. I would rank it behind RTL, AJFA, TBA, Load and DM.

Between these two artists, I like Metallica a whole lot better. Better vocals, better lyrics, and, when they're both at the top of their game, better melodies.

But this is Megadeth's best release by far, up against one of Metallica's weaker efforts. So I actually will take Rust in Peace.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2020, 05:16:09 PM »
I love me some Rust In Peace.  "Holy Wars" is my favorite Megadeth tune.  However, Master Of Puppets (IMHO) is one of those perfect albums from start to finish.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2020, 01:41:08 PM »
You know, this was a tough one.  I chose MoP, but I sure love RiP as well.  However, I've never been a real big fan of Dave's voice but I've learned to tollerate it over the years.

Although, I've got to say that I think Dystopia just might beat Rip for me.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"