Poll

Master of Puppets or Rust in Peace?

Metallica - Master of Puppets
80 (72.1%)
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
31 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Author Topic: Master of Puppets or Rust in Peace?  (Read 5664 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Master of Puppets or Rust in Peace?
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2018, 01:26:25 PM »
Puppets by miles.

Marty Friedman > all guys in Metallica combined

:lol ok...

WildRanger speaks the ultimate truth here.  :metal
Indeed he does. That doesn't translate to being a better band, though. Hell, look at Dream Theater.  :biggrin:
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »
Tough one. Half of RIP is awesome, the other half only ok. MoP is pretty much great all the way 5hrough, so MoP it is.

But RiP has the best 3 songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »
Master of Puppets, comfortably. Hetfield vocals >>>>>> Mustaine vocals.

This is all that needs to be said here, in my opinion.    I don't mind Megadeth - Cryptic Writings is a cool record - and I don't get the love for Master Of Puppets (other than its historical importance; I'd rather listen to ...AJFA, TBA, L, or R-L over Master all day long) but of the two I'd rather listen to James sing.  Even if it does sound like he's singing in an aircraft hanger.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 01:37:38 PM »
James might have a cleaner voice and is technically a better singer but that's still not saying much. Not to mention, although Megadeth has had some questionable albums, they've at least kept the metal banner high, and Dystopia can go toe-to-toe with Megadeth's best classic works in my opinion. Metallica fell off something fierce after Ride the Lightning; I find Puppets rather dull and even dreadful at times, and Metallica had this bizarre tendency to get into bluesy, midtempo rock territory even with their big hits, which is severely off-putting to me. But with Megadeth I can at least count on some actual metal. (And the less said about Load, ReLoad, St. Anger, the better)

But, since this is about Puppets... I dunno, Rust in Peace just blows it out of the water. Both are pretty metal, but Rust just has this sharper edge to it, it feels angrier and heavier, and Dave's voice is a part of that.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »
Where's the "Don't care" option to stir the pot? ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »
Very top of your browser. Looks like an arrow pointing to the left.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2018, 02:04:15 PM »
Master is more an iconic album to trash metal than Rust and more diverse musically, no doubt. Also a truly excellent album! But, personally, I like Rust a bit more, with that prog/technical metal vibe and great songs all the way, so that's my vote  :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2018, 02:10:13 PM »
Very top of your browser. Looks like an arrow pointing to the left.

:lol  You win again good sir, you win again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 02:34:51 PM »
Puppets. But RiP has the best opening punch with Holy Wars and Hangar 18. But Puppets is a better overall record.

pretty much this.  I would take my favourite 2-3 songs on RIP over anything on Puppets but Puppets has little to no filler.

Having said that RIP got a mention in my Top 50 because it was more important to me as a kid .  :justjen
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
Puppets. But RiP has the best opening punch with Holy Wars and Hangar 18. But Puppets is a better overall record.

pretty much this.  I would take my favourite 2-3 songs on RIP over anything on Puppets but Puppets has little to no filler.

I skip Orion and The Thing That Should Not Be everytime.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »

I skip Orion and The Thing That Should Not Be everytime.

The Thing That Should Not Be is the only one I have been known to skip.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2018, 04:41:03 PM »
Yeah, I skip TTTSNB as well. Everything else is so damn good though :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2018, 05:49:30 PM »
Add me to the list of Thing skippers.

I also typically skip Leper Messiah.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2018, 07:08:54 PM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
I went back and forth a little, but Master of puppets

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »
RiP and it's not even close for me, but I've never been a big Metallica fan even before I got into Megadeth. I was expecting the results to look like this... but to see a comment suggesting that a song like Orion is "far beyond" anything Megadeth has done, even at that point in time, is cringeworthy to me.  :facepalm:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »
Rust in Peace for me. Metallica might be a more influential band overrall, but I've always liked Megadeth more. Some songs like Holy Wars  have a prog metal feel to them, I just love it. Also, RiP has real lead guitar playing :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline max_security

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Marty but MOP with Cliff for this one.  :metal   In some correct version of reality Marty , Jason Becker , and Cliff started a band in the late 1980's and still tour occasionally.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2018, 06:26:54 AM »
Damn, I love both so much. For years I said Ride the Lightning was my #1 album of all time, with Rust in Peace at #2. So naturally I voted for RiP here. MoP would be in my top 10 albums of all time, probably. Both were so influential in my early tastes in heavy metal. I might have to just go and listen to both back to back.

On the 'filler' subject, Leper Messiah is my least favourite on MoP, although I rarely skip songs. Dawn Patrol is the obvious weak link on RiP, it just sticks out like a sore thumb and I don't really like it that much, literally every other song is a face melter though  :metal :metal :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2018, 06:43:51 AM »
Not even close. Master of Puppets wins this easily.  I am admittedly not a fan of trash in general, but Master of Puppets is just so awesome. 

Megadeth never did a lot for me.  I listened to Holy Wars to see if it did anything for me and...nope.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »
Rust for me, largely due to Marty's solos just elevating the songs to a different level. The solo to Tornado of Souls has to be one of my all time favourites.

Puppets has some classic songs, like Sanitarium, Orion and the title track of course, but on the whole I find the album has a real negative vibe and it's hard to get through it all in one go.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2018, 06:57:40 AM »
I still listen to Rust In Peace semi-regularly. I haven't bothered listening to Master Of Puppets in full in decades. Even around the time I first got Puppets I probably skipped Leper Messiah and The Thing That Should Not Be half the time anyway.

I'll pop on Battery and MoP to play along to from time-to-time as they're great fun to wrestle with, though it's more than a decade since I practised down picking regularly enough to pull off MoP properly.

So... Rust In Peace.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2018, 06:59:43 AM »
So RiP is 0-2 in recent polls, while Risk is 1-0. What a time to be alive  :yarr

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2018, 07:24:15 AM »
I'm surprised to see so many don't care for Leper Messiah, I think it's one of the best songs on MoP.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:50 AM »
Hetfield vocals > Mustaine vocals
Hetfield rhythm guitar > Mustaine rhythm guitar
Friedman > Hammett
Mustaine > Hammett
Menza > Ulrich
Burton > Ellefson

I voted for MOP. I listened to Rust In Peace again yesterday and while I believe it is a good album, I don't like it in comparison to MOP as a whole. This is all opinion and personal taste. There's no "right" or "wrong." To me, MOP doesn't have skipworthy songs like RIP does. I really like Holy Wars. I really like Damage Inc.

MOP is a more straight ahead thrash record. RIP is more diverse. It's difficult to compare because it's not both bands trying to write the same album.

The biggest thing I dislike about Megadeth/RIP is Mustaine's vocals. I don't care for his voice.
The biggest thing I dislike about Metallica/MOP is it can sound better production wise.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2018, 07:45:20 PM »
Burton > Ellefson
I don't agree with this.

I listened to RiP on the way to work today. It really is a great album, but Master is such a monster, and doesn't sound nearly as dated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2018, 08:11:43 PM »

The biggest thing I dislike about Megadeth/RIP is Mustaine's vocals. I don't care for his voice.

Outside of a handful of songs, I am with you on this.  His vocals are too cartoonish, like a really bad scary movie kinda way. 

The second half of Hangar 18 is pretty bad ass, but the first half is pretty blah.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2018, 09:52:15 PM »
Never really cared for MoP, and RIP is cool, so the latter one.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2018, 10:03:34 PM »
I have never liked thrash much at any point in my musical journey. When the Black Album dropped, I became a big fan of Metallica, but then most people I knew did. It didn't last long for me. I don't recall listening to any Megadeth in real time.

That being said, Rust in Peace is an amazing album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2018, 02:21:51 PM »

The second half of Hangar 18 is pretty bad ass, but the first half is pretty blah.

I'm the complete opposite. I like the first half, but the second half drags on forever.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2018, 02:34:17 PM »
Rust in Peace, but it's tight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
Burton > Ellefson
I don't agree with this.

And you're allowed to not agree. I made my call based not on the tragedy of Cliff's death, but what he brought to the game of metal bass guitarist. To me he was a game changer. Few sounded or played like he did. From 1983-1986 he left a huge mark on metal music. His influence still has an impact on metal today.

To give Ellefson credit, he's a REALLY good bassist. Super solid and can flat out play. He's overshadowed in Megadeth by Mustaine but thanks to YouTube and the rest of the internet we get to see just how good he is.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2018, 12:14:03 AM »

I'm the complete opposite. I like the first half, but the second half drags on forever.

Same for me. Those lead breaks after each chorus are what makes the song for me. After the transition to the final section I lose interest a bit.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2020, 10:48:41 AM »
Still not close.  Of course, you could put Rust in Peace up against Celine Dion's greatest hits, and I'd still not vote for RiP.

What do you have against Megadeth so much?

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »
I'd say what does he have against Celine Dion  :D