Poll

Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden?

Black Sabbath
15 (18.1%)
Iron Maiden
68 (81.9%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden?
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2021, 01:42:29 PM »
Yeah well at least Ozzy(tm) made up for his lack of any tonal quality in his voice with his song writing ... I guess not. His stage presence , nope. He was a decent cool guy , a stand-up business guy who made honest deals and gave everyone a fair shake , um nope. And it's not that he isn't a great vocalist , he's a horrible vocalist and an awful person to go with the package man.

ALL. OF. THIS.  I just made one little tweak to make it perfect.

I'm late to the party here; my pick is Maiden, but it's very very close.

As for the above, I think that's all overstating things to a large degree.  I LIKE the way he sings on some of the mid-period Sabbath (I can't imagine anyone doing justice to "Spiral Architect" like Ozzy; listen to how Dio struggles with some of the Ozzy stuff live) so the tonal comment is totally subjective.   And as for the rest, well, I guess you had to be there.  There are a lot of people that know him a whole lot better than any of us that say quite different.   After all the public nonsense and scuttlebutt, the only ones with a real hard-on for the guy are Daisley and Lee, and that's all about money.   Iommi is reportedly still friends with him.  Zakk Wylde LOVES the guy, worships him, basically. 

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2021, 02:24:55 PM »
I find Ozzy-era Sabbath and Iron Maiden to be musically quite diferent.
Main difference is about the riffs. 70's Black Sabbath music is BASED on heavy guitar riffs and the riffs are a KEY feature of their metal sound, while heavy riffs are not important feature of Iron Maiden general sound. Iron Maiden are more melodic, galloping and harmonic than heavy. Plus Iommi's soloing is quite bluesy and psychedelic, while Iron Maiden guitar solos don't sound bluesy at all.

Do you agree with me?

While Sabbath was clearly steeped in 60's blues/psychedelia, Maiden emerged from the ashes of punk rock, and as much as Steve Harris hates to admit, it, the punk influence is there.

I voted for Sabbath, but it's super close. And I have Ozzy-era over Dio-era.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2021, 04:39:26 AM »

While Sabbath was clearly steeped in 60's blues/psychedelia, Maiden emerged from the ashes of punk rock, and as much as Steve Harris hates to admit, it, the punk influence is there.

They're also heavily influenced by Thin Lizzy, UFO, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Jethro Tull, Budgie and Genesis.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2021, 05:59:39 AM »
I think this is the first poll where I can't choose a winner.  Love them both and they both had profound influence on me musically.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2021, 06:19:12 AM »
No contest for me though, Maiden was my first love and we all know what that means.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2021, 02:06:27 PM »

They're also heavily influenced by Thin Lizzy, UFO, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Jethro Tull, Budgie and Genesis.

Wishbone Ash!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2021, 04:47:03 PM »
Maiden by absolutely miles. Sabbath is fine and I enjoy some of their stuff but they've never flicked my switches. Don't like Ozzy as a vocalist or personality, either. I plan to give some of the Dio era some more time at some point.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 05:23:28 PM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2021, 04:52:08 PM »
Iron maiden without hesitation

Offline Eldomm

• Metropolis chemist
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2021, 12:54:08 AM »

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2021, 02:07:28 AM »
Iron Maiden has 80%? That much? Wow.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2021, 11:36:26 AM »
Iron Maiden has 80%? That much? Wow.

I'm surprised the margin is that big, but I'm not surprised about the significant margin.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »
No surprise to see this.  Maiden are much closer to DT in their sound than Sabbath.  The operatic vocals, big guitar solos etc.

Online HOF

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2021, 06:02:45 PM »
Pass.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2021, 07:02:46 PM »
I picked Maiden, but Sabbath are equally as great.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2021, 02:10:01 AM »
No surprise to see this.  Maiden are much closer to DT in their sound than Sabbath.  The operatic vocals, big guitar solos etc.

Rush and Iron Maiden are easily two most BELOVED bands on this board. Many polls show that.
Iron Maiden is widely preferred over Black Sabbath and Rush is widely preferred over Led Zeppelin (in one poll 80's Rush easily beat 70's Zeppelin).

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2021, 02:53:43 AM »
I'd agree with most of what you said here, other than Rush being WIDELY preferred over Led Zep. Can't help but think it's not that big a gap. That poll you mentioned is kind of irrelevant.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2021, 04:11:10 AM »
What's next?  Madonna or Metallica?

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2021, 06:15:41 AM »

That would be a silly poll. ;D  But Metallica and Madonna have something in common: both are hugely commercial acts.
My first thread/poll when I came to DTF was "Rush vs. Deep Purple" and Rush won by a huge margin. And I think the main reason why the result was such, is that people on this board are nowhere near as familiar with Deep Purple's classic output as they're with Rush's.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2021, 06:26:50 AM »
Well I can say that I'm as equally unfamiliar with both Rush and Deep Purple's 'classic output'!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2021, 08:11:32 AM »

That would be a silly poll. ;D  But Metallica and Madonna have something in common: both are hugely commercial acts.
My first thread/poll when I came to DTF was "Rush vs. Deep Purple" and Rush won by a huge margin. And I think the main reason why the result was such, is that people on this board are nowhere near as familiar with Deep Purple's classic output as they're with Rush's.

I know.  This may be hard to believe, but I was just being a wiseass  :lol   I actually kind of dig your polls, for most part.  Wait, that didn't really come out the way I wanted  :justjen

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2021, 08:16:16 AM »
On a serious note, I guess I can see grouping these two in the same general classification, as in, "classic heavy metal" but they diverge rather drastically from there. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »

I know.  This may be hard to believe, but I was just being a wiseass  :lol   I actually kind of dig your polls, for most part.  Wait, that didn't really come out the way I wanted  :justjen

Get a room, you two!    :) :) :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2021, 01:40:07 PM »

No, that is not the reason why.  The reason is much simpler:  People on this board, as a whole, prefer Rush's classic output to Purple's.  Familiarity is not the issue.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2021, 02:10:44 PM »

No, that is not the reason why.  The reason is much simpler:  People on this board, as a whole, prefer Rush's classic output to Purple's.  Familiarity is not the issue.
Actually, I'm not surprised, seeing as DT owe a lot to Rush's work. And yes, personal preference is a thing. Very human, it seems. (Btw, I wouldn't know what to prefer here, but anyway. Seen both Purple and Rush live.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2021, 02:49:40 PM »

Actually, I'm not surprised, seeing as DT owe a lot to Rush's work. And yes, personal preference is a thing. Very human, it seems. (Btw, I wouldn't know what to prefer here, but anyway. Seen both Purple and Rush live.)

I would think that, given they covered DP's live double album and have not, to date, covered any Rush album in it's entirety, that DP would be a major influence to the band.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2021, 03:03:46 PM »
aaah, you got me :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2021, 03:21:53 PM »

I would think that, given they covered DP's live double album and have not, to date, covered any Rush album in it's entirety, that DP would be a major influence to the band.

Easily my favorite DT Cover Album. James is great on Child In Time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2021, 08:00:14 PM »
Sabbath
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"