Author Topic: Michael Schenker  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Michael Schenker
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
Anyone going to see him at Irving Plaza in a couple weeks?   Gary Barden AND Graham Bonnet.   I actually like Barden, so that's going to be a treat. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Michael Schenker
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 08:54:55 AM »
Going to Berklee, or as JLB refers to it, the “Boston College Of Music”.  ;D

5th row on the aisle on his side!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »
Philly TLA March 11. Can't wait.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 07:54:16 AM »
If I don't end up with any plans on the 10th I may just snag a ticket for that NYC show.
Photobucket sucks.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »
I'm planning seeing him in Cleveland on March 16th if work allows for it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 08:24:33 AM »
If I don't end up with any plans on the 10th I may just snag a ticket for that NYC show.

Let me know, bud.  I'm heading down during the day; going to spend a little quality time at McSorley's before the show. Open to other suggestions as well.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 11:39:51 AM »

Let me know, bud.  I'm heading down during the day; going to spend a little quality time at McSorley's before the show. Open to other suggestions as well.

Will do. Probably won't know until sometime next week.
Photobucket sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »
The setlist from Maryland last night is on Setlist FM.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/michael-schenker/2018/the-fillmore-silver-spring-silver-spring-md-23efa02f.html

An awesome set. I was wondering if they were doing anything from the new album, but each singer sings one of their new songs. I'm glad Doogie is part of this tour.

So the last two albums with Doogie White have easily been Schenker's best since the 80's. I wonder what he really thinks about this um.."reunion" of has beens. I think the look on his face from the back CD cover says it all.

I love Chris Glen's "I'm dreaming of a roast beef sandwich" look on his face.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 07:38:11 AM »
That's a WAY better setlist than what they were doing earlier in the year in Europe.   If I'm not mistaken, no Doogie there, and about 9 or 10 less songs.  I would've liked to have heard "Samurai" or anything from "Built To Destroy" (my favorite MSG album; I love Gary Barden), but I'm nitpicking at this point.   30 songs, with all the original singers?  I can't wait.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 08:09:24 AM »

So the last two albums with Doogie White have easily been Schenker's best since the 80's.

Ressurection is an excellent album, it continues his actual phase, no doubt! In my opinion, Schenker was back to great quality songwriting since 2008's In the midst of beauty with Gary Barden :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 03:25:06 PM »

So the last two albums with Doogie White have easily been Schenker's best since the 80's.

Ressurection is an excellent album, it continues his actual phase, no doubt! In my opinion, Schenker was back to great quality songwriting since 2008's In the midst of beauty with Gary Barden :tup

Ressurection is great, but I thought In The Midst Of Beauty was terribly weak. In fact, I think the Barden tracks are the worse two on the new album.
Robin McCauley sounds great, and I like Graham Bonnet on this. His voice isn't quite as powerful, but I find it a lot warmer and I like that he's dialed back a bit. I think he sounds great. I love Everest, and I wish they were playing that instead of Night Moods. But I guess Ted McKenna needed a break. the Robin McCauley part of the set looks pretty intense for McKenna.

Anyway, it's been 26 years since I've seen Michael Schenker.

Axis
Boston

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 03:51:54 PM »
I could do without Barden tbh, never liked his voice live but he sang all the great songs...
Macaulay’s voiceis in great shape.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 07:40:39 PM »
I am literally 10 feet away from Schenker and Graham fucking Bonnet! :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
Save Yourself  :metal

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 04:17:47 AM »
I'm jealous, Tim. It looks like I'm probably going to miss the show next week in Cleveland. Would you feel up to doing a concert review?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 08:03:40 AM »
I'm leaving here in about an hour to head to NYC to see this show tonight.  I cannot wait.  I am (literally) almost breathless in anticipation.  I actually like the Barden years better (I know, he's not the best singer, but it works for me), so it's going to be a treat all around.

Anyone going, post a note here!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 08:23:01 AM »
Sorry Stadler, I'd be curious to check it out but I gots to make beer today.
Photobucket sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 09:12:03 AM »
I'm leaving here in about an hour to head to NYC to see this show tonight.  I cannot wait.  I am (literally) almost breathless in anticipation.  I actually like the Barden years better (I know, he's not the best singer, but it works for me), so it's going to be a treat all around.

Anyone going, post a note here!

Barden was actually pretty good. I’ll try and post pics after work. Hopefully you’ll see them before.
Don’t be late. Let Sleeping Dogs Lie is amazing. Schenker is incredible on it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 10:21:19 AM »
Going to catch this in Denver. Not really familiar with Schenker's work outside of UFO and Scorpions, what is the essential MSG?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 02:23:48 PM »
Going to catch this in Denver. Not really familiar with Schenker's work outside of UFO and Scorpions, what is the essential MSG?

Mosh, to me Schenker's best albums are his first 4. Vocalist in parentheses

Michael Schenker Group (Barden) 1980
MSG (Barden) '81 
Assault Attack (Bonnet) '82
Built To Destroy (Bonnet) '83

Save Yourself  (McCauley) '89

Bridge The Gap (White) '13

I linked the setlist. I'd just get familiar with that. Seems that Shoot Shoot and Natural Thing have been dropped from the set, though I wouldn't be surprised if NYC got them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2018, 03:15:43 PM »
I’m at McSorleys now.   Can’t wait

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 03:23:28 PM »

What sort of crowd does this drag in Tim?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 04:11:03 PM »

What sort of crowd does this drag in Tim?

Seriously. Other than the CHILDREN that were there, I was the youngest guy there! I literally saw half a dozen dudes with canes. I feel like the Olde Country Buffet saw more action before the show than any of the local bars!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 04:18:38 PM »

Reminds me of the opening post of my DTF Top 50  :lol

Numbers ?   One nursing home full.......two?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 04:27:00 PM »
*check's Brent's OP*

Yeah, I think they were there too!  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 04:53:44 PM »
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 05:54:29 PM by TAC »

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 06:00:57 PM »
Robin sounded really good there. It's going to kill me having to miss this show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
I’m 50 and I’m not old here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2018, 06:14:57 PM »
Robin sounded really good there. It's going to kill me having to miss this show.

Yeah Jason, he still sounds great.

I took this pic...

...during the "Time after time..." part of Attack Of The Mad Axeman. He came out and supported Barden's vocals. No chance of Barden hitting those notes. He also came out and supported Bonnet as well.

I’m 50 and I’m not old here.

Bullshit. You're old everywhere! ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 06:21:41 PM »
The comradery of the band was really evident.

Seriously, but...

...I love this pic. It totally sums up the night.

Barden: "um..yeah.."
McCauley: "This is great. I'm a rock star again!"
Bonnet: "What are the words, again?"
White: "This is MY gig!!! I'm so freaking pissed."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 07:44:07 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 10:31:52 PM »
So....  After an afternoon at McSorley's, I made it to the show, and found myself about five rows back, center stage.   Now, full disclosure:  I'm a Gary Barden guy; "Built To Destroy" is my favorite MSG record, and the second one is a close second.   I thought I would never get to see him sing those songs, so to hear him sing them was a treat.  Yeah, he was never a great singer, and he's not what we was, but he did justice to those songs.   

Graham Bonnet is a beast; holy crap can that guy still bring it at 70.  So LOUD.   I am not terribly familiar with the McAuley material (It starts and ends, basically, with "Anytime") but he sounded really good, and probably had the most stage time.   Doogie sounded good, but had probably the least stage time. 

I thought the staging was odd, though.   Robin was out there within a song or two, and while he didn't stay out for every song, but .  I don't remember seeing Graham until his songs came up, but he came out fairly frequently after (though not always when Robin or Gary were out there).    Doogie had by far the least stage time.

After the show, the busses were right out front. Michael hopped a cab almost immediately, and Graham ran to the bus fairly quickly, but Robin hung a bit, and so did Gary.  He went on the bus and came back out about 15 minutes later and was a real gentleman, talking and having a cigarette ("Nasty habit", he said).    Chris Glen - he's a trip! - spent a lot of time with the fans and so did Ted McKenna.  I passed Doogie on the side walk but he seemed eager to get on the bus and get out of dodge, so I just said "good job" and let him go.  I got a really weird vibe from him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 03:29:35 PM »
I'm a Gary Barden guy; "Built To Destroy" is my favorite MSG record, and the second one is a close second.   I thought I would never get to see him sing those songs, so to hear him sing them was a treat.  Yeah, he was never a great singer, and he's not what we was, but he did justice to those songs.   

I thought Barden sounded great, but I was really expecting the worst tbh. MSG, the second album, is a TAC Top 5 album in my book, and it might be the most instrumental in my music direction as any other.
To hear Let Sleeping Dogs Lie, and watching Schenker play those parts was incredible.

Graham Bonnet is a beast; holy crap can that guy still bring it at 70. 

I was so excited to finally see him in person, and he did not disappoint. I can overlook all the goofiness. He is just so iconic.

I am not terribly familiar with the McAuley material (It starts and ends, basically, with "Anytime") but he sounded really good, and probably had the most stage time.   

You don't have the McCauley/Schenker albums? They are actually pretty good, especially Save Yourself, which the title track was actually one of the best songs of the show. Did you see Rush on the Hold Your Fire tour in late 1987? MSG opened.

Chris Glen - he's a trip! - spent a lot of time with the fans and so did Ted McKenna.  I passed Doogie on the side walk but he seemed eager to get on the bus and get out of dodge, so I just said "good job" and let him go.  I got a really weird vibe from him.

I love Chris Glen and Ted McKenna. And yeah, Doogie always looks pissed. I posted the back CD cover. I hope he's around after Schenker does his Fest. The last two albums with Doogie are great, as is pessurection.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »
It was weird though; when I passed him on the sidewalk, he didn't look "pissed" exactly, he looked... I don't know, defeated?   Like I said it was a weird vibe.