Author Topic: The filming of our lives...  (Read 10989 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The filming of our lives...
« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »

I'm talking more about the socialization of an online presence, as if it is something of meaning and value, and not the "content" itself.   They might overlap, but they aren't the same thing.

If you don't record that Petrucci solo and post it for people to see, did it actually happen? If you don't record that no-scope headshot and post it for people to see, did it actually happen?

I had this conversation with the dad of one of my daughter's friends in Philly.  I noted that Oasis came to a place about 1/4 mile from my house, and I missed it (I had literally just moved in like three days before).  He whips out his phone and plays me a clip from the show, then looks at me and says... "it was way better being there".    And it's almost always the case.  I tell the story a lot about my experience at a Page and Plant show in New Jersey, and I can tell you right now that if someone comes to me with a complete boot on video of that show I probably won't watch it, because I WANT my memory.  It hurts no one that I think it's the greatest moment I've ever experienced at a concert, and no one is served by me having to find a new one when the reality doesn't reflect the memory.

That's not at all the same as me sending videos of an "artificial" life that I supposedly lead, and influencing how others view their lives (often to their detriment).   

This doesn't have to be completely logical or linear.   We're talking about incremental change, and we're talking about cumulative change. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »
Well of course the video is never as good as the memory or the feeling of actually being there.  That can never be replicated and that's why it's worth being there in the first place.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2018, 06:25:51 AM »
This is more of a contemporary "phone culture" frustration, but here we go.

I went on a date the other night. Just for dinner and she was 29. I'm 30. I swear to god, her phone was out and in front of her face 80% of the time. And the other 20% of the time it was sitting on the table. My phone stayed in my pocket the whole time. I honestly felt like I was eating dinner alone, since there was such a feeling of disconnect present.

I can't say what the ultimate negative consequences are going to be of the social media, smartphone obsessed culture that we live in today, but I personally don't want to be with someone who is constantly on their phone instead of spending actual time with the person they are with. 

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2018, 06:34:02 AM »

I went on a date the other night. Just for dinner and she was 29. I'm 30. I swear to god, her phone was out and in front of her face 80% of the time. And the other 20% of the time it was sitting on the table. My phone stayed in my pocket the whole time. I honestly felt like I was eating dinner alone, since there was such a feeling of disconnect present.

I can't say what the ultimate negative consequences are going to be of the social media, smartphone obsessed culture that we live in today, but I personally don't want to be with someone who is constantly on their phone instead of spending actual time with the person they are with.

Dude, that's embarrassing... for her. I would have said something for sure! I feel bad just checking a text so I don't leave a friend or family member hanging for no reason. If you can't "be there" on a first date, you've got real problems, and the phone thing is only a symptom.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #144 on: June 05, 2018, 06:45:56 AM »
It's this "instant" <insert whatever> phenomenon our culture/society now needs - instant response, instant gratification, instant information etc...  Go to a website and it doesn't load in 5 seconds, we're annoyed and go to an alternative site.  Don't get a response right away from a text (dear god... especially if it's marked "read"), "zomg why are they pissed at me?!?".  No offense Sylvan, but a sender of a text should be able to wait 30-60 minutes - unless it's urgent (in which case if it's TRULY urgent, they'll phone).  I might glance at a message, but unless it's an emergency, I'll extend the courtesy of giving the person I'm physically with my attention - whether in a personal or professional context.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: June 05, 2018, 07:11:05 AM »

Was this a first date?  I mean regardless that's pretty bad, but really bad if it was a first date and someone was doing that.  I find it very disrespectful.  However, I've been with my girl long enough that if we spent all day together, we might use our phones a bit during dinner or something, but usually when we hang out for a few hours in the evening we just keep our phones close but aren't actively on them. 

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2018, 07:12:55 AM »
Well, on that point, I would say that if the person I'm on a date with has a problem with me taking 15 seconds to send a text to someone so they're able to do whatever they need to do ("Chill?", "Sorry, I'm out")(also, I'll explain it that way so the other person knows it's a quick courtesy), that's just as bad. In the end, it's INAUTHENTIC. Being thoughtful about who you're out with, and extending a courtesy to a friend/family member quickly without losing presence in the situation is the type of authentic I want to be. Someone that's only interested in their phone, and not at all present in the actual situation, is not authentic at all.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2018, 07:21:55 AM »
Thanks guys.  Unfortunately it was a first date, so that definitely killed any interest of having a second date  :lol

And full disclosure, a couple years ago I was very similar. I found myself constantly checking facebook, and looking at updates on twitter and so forth. I was really wrapped up in all of it, But at some point, I just felt like it was being detrimental to my life and deleted my accounts, and for me personally I feel way more chill not thinking about updates, views or likes. Much less anxious for sure.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2018, 07:29:24 AM »
Yea, I wouldn't do a second date with a girl who couldn't focus on the first date.  Using the phone to check a message isn't that big of a deal, although I think one should be able to survive say the first 30 minutes meeting someone you might have interest in.  I feel like once the ice is broken and if you were to notice an important message, it's not a big deal to pull out your phone, but I would be respectful about it and maybe even say something like "is it cool if I respond quickly to this important message from my mother?"  Also, for me, typically someone is going to the bathroom at some point during the first date and that's a good time to respond to anything important.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »
Thanks guys.  Unfortunately it was a first date, so that definitely killed any interest of having a second date  :lol

And full disclosure, a couple years ago I was very similar. I found myself constantly checking facebook, and looking at updates on twitter and so forth. I was really wrapped up in all of it, But at some point, I just felt like it was being detrimental to my life and deleted my accounts, and for me personally I feel way more chill not thinking about updates, views or likes. Much less anxious for sure.

How was that conversation?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2018, 09:21:25 AM »

How was that conversation?

The "I don't want a 2nd date" conversation?

I just said what I always say when I'm not feeling a 2nd date.  I said: "I believe in being open and honest. I'm not really feeling a relationship connection, thank you for you time regardless. Have a good one"

She was fine with that, and appreciated my honesty. I didn't say anything about the phone.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »
I think you should have, I would have, unless it wasn't really the reason why you didn't want a 2nd date.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2018, 09:56:38 AM »
I would've slipped in a "How about we have sex after dinner?" just to see if she was paying attention.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »
Wait... so was she hot or not?

I read a thing about how people are too connected and it's a kind of addiction.  The writer's solution was to delete Facebook, Instagram, all that, from their phone.  Really?  As opposed to, you know, keeping the damned phone in your pocket or just not using it?

I have Facebook, email, texts, all kinds of stuff on my phone, but somehow I manage to get through entire meals without the need to check them.  Hell, I go all day sometimes.  I'll get home and Mrs. Orbert will ask if I picked up milk, and I didn't know we were out, so she asks "Didn't you get my text?"  I look, and hey, she sent me a text like five hours ago while I was a work.  "Please grab milk".  I remind her that phones can also be used for voice communication.  Crazy, I know.

People just need to have some self-control.  It's not that complicated.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
7 out of 10 I guess, by the typical scale of attractiveness.

But honestly, I'm mostly attracted to the geeky kind of girl with glasses. The super low maintenance tomboy type.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
7 out of 10 I guess, by the typical scale of attractiveness.

But honestly, I'm mostly attracted to the geeky kind of girl with glasses. The super low maintenance tomboy type.

So I take it that wasn't her?   

I'm kinda with Orbert on this; deleting everything wholesale is sort of conceding defeat, isn't it?   I have my moments of obsession, but thankfully social media/phones aren't one of them. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »
I think it's much easier for an older person to not be obsessed with their phone.  The young people today are growing up with them attached to their hands.  Going to be real hard to get them to put the phones down.  I'm kind of in the middle having grown up before them but now having lived a large part of my life with them, I have become fairly obsessed.  It's hard to put it away, and not really due to social media, but work, news, pedometer, music player, banking, stocks... and I don't even game on my phone.

I brought this up in the concert thread, but maybe has a place here as well...

I went to a phone free concert a few weeks ago.  It was the Original Misfits line up and they had a strict no phone policy and used a company called Yondr that put your phone in a locked pouch.  You could access it at unlock stations, but essentially within the viewing area of the arena, no phones allowed.  It worked mostly well, some people got them out, but either way, it was a really odd feeling walking around the arena without a phone.  Felt a bit naked in a way, but it was interesting.  I think people were much more approachable to talk to than with phones.  (in fact, someone at the Slayer concert over the weekend approached me and said hey remember we were talking at the misfits concert!) A lot of comments on social media about the concert were actually really positive about the atmosphere of a no phone concert.  Personally I'd rather my phone, but it was kind of nice to experience such an event.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »
I'd be  like "OMG I lost my phone!" every 12 minutes, and if I was drinking, every 9 minutes.   :)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: June 05, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »
A while back I read about a company that was developing something for concerts that'd sit on the top of the stage and project into the audience. It'd emit something that was invisible to the human eye, but it would somehow interfere with the camera and its sensors on cellphones, rendering them useless.

I can't remember what the thing was called.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: June 05, 2018, 01:44:51 PM »
A while back I read about a company that was developing something for concerts that'd sit on the top of the stage and project into the audience. It'd emit something that was invisible to the human eye, but it would somehow interfere with the camera and its sensors on cellphones, rendering them useless.

I might buy one, mount it to the top of my head, and bring it to every concert I go to.  Nothing more satisfying that finding out that douchebag holding the iPad over his noodle during the show got nothing but static and xig zag lines. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: June 05, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »

When I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers last year, they had these really awesome lights that would move and come down from the ceiling of the arena.  It was a really cool visual part of their show, but the lights really fucked with my camera not allowing it to focus on the stage.  I was wondering if there was a dual purpose for those lights for making phone videos really difficult.  However, if you had a decent camera, you'd be able to adjust or if you were on the floor below the lights they would be out of the way.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2018, 02:03:47 PM »
Every once in a while, I'll forget and leave the house without my phone.  Once I realize it, it's kinda weird.  I've gotten used to having it on me, not because I feel the need to use it all the time, but simply because it's one of the things I always have.  I always have my keys, I always have my wallet, and I always have my phone.  The phone is just in case I need it, but it's weird how quickly you get used to having something, and then feel naked without it.

First time it happened, I was on my way to work, and realized I'd left my phone in the charger at home.  I figured I should let Mrs. Orbert know that I didn't have it and she'd have to call my land line at work if she needed me.  So to call her and let her know this, I reached for my phone...

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2018, 03:22:56 PM »
 :lol

I have so done that very thing.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2018, 07:48:30 AM »
First world Fogey problems.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion