Author Topic: The filming of our lives...  (Read 10984 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The filming of our lives...
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2018, 08:41:50 AM »
I am in good-nature going to pick on Chino for a second here.... Mrs. Cool Chris would tan my hide if I did any of what you and Chino-ette did at dinner. She is fairly old-school, but in your described situation, I would agree with her. Everything you and she did was of little importance (my judgment) and if we are doing something together, all could have waited.

I hear you, but my point was we had been doing stuff together for the 12 hours leading up to that dinner. We didn't go to dinner to 'have a night out together'. We had a long day, were too lazy to cook, and we figured beer and pizza would hit the spot. Neither of us looked at it as a date, or even a night out for that matter. We were starving and being lazy. Had we not seen each other all day and then did that when we went out to eat, it'd be a different story.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2018, 08:48:55 AM »
Yes I understood where you are coming from and support that. If more couples spent the quality time you and she do we'd all be better off.

My point was that if you are sitting at a table together, you are, by my definition, doing something together. That isn't to say you could do your phone stuff together. "Hey, I am going to rate this beer 4 our of 5 stars, what do you think of it?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2018, 08:57:36 AM »
I don't generally take pictures of my food, mostly because they never look as good as the meal itself, but I definitely understand why people do it. If it's someplace new, or definitely if you're traveling, it makes sense as an aid to remember the details. Roaming around Europe was the only time in my life I've kept a journal, and having some pictures embedded in it would have been nice.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2018, 09:06:46 AM »
I'm going to Ireland in October (first time leaving the country), and while I almost never take pictures of my food, I'm definitely going to take a pic of what I am anticipating to be the best corned beef I've ever eaten.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »
I'm going to Ireland in October (first time leaving the country), and while I almost never take pictures of my food, I'm definitely going to take a pic of what I am anticipating to be the best corned beef I've ever eaten.

Well, that has a sense. I am totally NOT a food photo guy, but I will very occasionally take a picture of a yummy cake or a giantass hamburger. There are people who photograph even the most mundane and ordinary meal, what's the point in that?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »

I'm anxious to hear about your trip.  In 2019, I want to take my two daughters to Ireland, and we've been watching those Groupon trips...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2018, 10:55:09 AM »
Of the 16 or so countries I've been to, Ireland is damn near my favorite. I just loved it.

Of course I loved the south east of it, and not places like Dublin as much.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »
GALWAY!

Online Adami

« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2018, 11:02:53 AM »
GALWAY!

I said south!

Killarney, Dingle, etc.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »
GALWAY!

I said south!

Killarney, Dingle, etc.

Galway is south...... of heaven, that is! 

Online Adami

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2018, 11:07:48 AM »
GALWAY!

I said south!

Killarney, Dingle, etc.

Galway is south...... of heaven, that is!

I disagree.

Heaven's a Lie.

- Lacuna Coil
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2018, 04:12:45 PM »
And most ridiculous of them all; looking grumpy all the time while looking at the phone, only to fake a smile to take a selfie to show the rest of the world what a good time you're having.

Implying that hasn't been a thing since cameras were invented? Seriously, "smile for the camera" has been a phrase that's existed long before the advent of phones. I have depression & as a kid I was constantly told "look, I know you're sad, but could you at least try to smile for this one picture?". It's hardly a new phenomenon.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2018, 05:02:51 PM »
The difference is that 10 years ago, that forced smile was for your Aunt Edna when she was taking a picture of you for her photo album to show the ladies at the senior center. Now it is for your own selfie you are going to post on your own FaceTwittGram to build up your "like" count. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »
The difference is that 10 years ago, that forced smile was for your Aunt Edna when she was taking a picture of you for her photo album to show the ladies at the senior center. Now it is for your own selfie you are going to post on your own FaceTwittGram to build up your "like" count.

Does it matter though? You're still doing it so you look better in the eyes of others. At the end of the day, the idea is still the same.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2018, 07:00:44 PM »
Cheese!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2018, 08:47:42 PM »

Does it matter though? You're still doing it so you look better in the eyes of others. At the end of the day, the idea is still the same.

I don't know if it matters, but it is different. Pre-Selfie/internet days, we didn't care about the opinions of strangers like we do now.

I don't want to beat the horse to the ground. If people like taking and posting selfies, have at it.

Online Adami

« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »
We've ALWAYS cared about the opinions of others. That's what the fashion industry is built on.

It's just expressed differently and might be more heightened right now, but it's no where near new.

I'll admit that the impact of being approved is not very healthy. However, I believe it's something that, over time, people will adapt to this new paradigm and level out. Might be a few years/decades/whatever, but it'll most likely happen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2018, 09:03:34 PM »
I didn't say others, I said strangers. And your point is valid but I stand by mine. 10 years ago, "strangers" were a handful of people you bumped in to at the grocery store or talked to while you waited at school to pick up your kid, not a billion random people on the internet like it is now.

Online Adami

« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »
Well, you're name's not Stadler, so I can't disagree with you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »
We've ALWAYS cared about the opinions of others. That's what the fashion industry is built on.

:lol
https://i.imgur.com/Rlk8Rns.gifv

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2018, 07:43:16 AM »

It's just expressed differently and might be more heightened right now, but it's no where near new.

I was talking about this with my therapist yesterday; I think it's always been there, but it's never been so pervasive and immediate.  Back in high school, if a girl didn't wear the right designer jeans, the rest of the school had to notice when they saw her, AND know what the right pair were.  I would image most of the people that didn't know her wouldn't even notice.   Now it's put out there FOR the approval.  When my daughter first went on Snapgram or Instachat whatever, she had (if you believe their profiles) 20-somethings from Colorado commenting on her selfies.    When my other daughter entered a fashion show contest in New York (she's a hair stylist) one of the steps was "most Instagram likes", and you had bitter 45 year old queens from god knows where commenting like "Honey, you need to go back to school" and "You call that a style? Bitch please."   That's more than just "an opinion".

I'll admit that the impact of being approved is not very healthy. However, I believe it's something that, over time, people will adapt to this new paradigm and level out. Might be a few years/decades/whatever, but it'll most likely happen.

But what about in the meantime?  If that's really the problem, a) are we willing to let a certain sector of the population fall through the cracks as we adjust (we weren't for the drug problem), and b) why are we willing then to entertain so many other "solutions" that don't solve the problem (and don't even mitigate the symptoms as we address a))?

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2018, 08:41:12 AM »
I understand the whole trying to gain a following and the appeal of feeling famous but...what makes those people think that they can structure their financial life around it? Like...you can't make money doing that...I just don't understand...

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2018, 08:57:51 AM »
I feel like that article is also a good example of how it's all fake. A facade to decieve people into believing that you're something you're not. Whether you use it to try and build some sort of hollow "career" as an "influencer", or just to post a new profile pic of the happiest looking couple on the planet, it's all just fake representation of reality. Unfortunately, people also convince THEMSELVES that it's reality as well. NO, your family pic of everyone at the beach in khakis and white dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up is not an accurate depiction of your family life... or any of the other millions of people that post the same fucking pic to their instafeed.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2018, 09:06:44 AM »
I understand the whole trying to gain a following and the appeal of feeling famous but...what makes those people think that they can structure their financial life around it? Like...you can't make money doing that...I just don't understand...

Well, you can - if  you gain a certain following, brands start to ask you to post stuff about them, and they'll send you gifts or pay for a trip or whatever. She should have tried to go gradually there, not spend everything... there are people who want to be in a band and they leave their day jobs only when the band makes it big, if she wanted to try to be an Instagram influencer, she should have done it as a "side gig" while having a job and go fully for it only when the big money could come in.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2018, 09:31:08 AM »
I feel like that article is also a good example of how it's all fake. A facade to decieve people into believing that you're something you're not. Whether you use it to try and build some sort of hollow "career" as an "influencer", or just to post a new profile pic of the happiest looking couple on the planet, it's all just fake representation of reality. Unfortunately, people also convince THEMSELVES that it's reality as well. NO, your family pic of everyone at the beach in khakis and white dress shirts with the sleeves rolled up is not an accurate depiction of your family life... or any of the other millions of people that post the same fucking pic to their instafeed.

And it's fake on several different levels.  One, it's just a facade of reality, but on another level, it's, I think, stark evidence of the lack of ability to be introspective and honest with oneself.   And on a third level, it's a false representation of what it means to be "famous".    Name one person from the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's that are famous simply because.  There's a body of work with 99% of the "famous" people from those decades.   Movies.  Books.  Political achievement.   Even the 80's and 90's.   it might be shit music, but 50 years from now, we'll be able to listen to Paula Abdul's music, and we wouldn't know her but for her initial efforts to PRODUCE something.   I'd even give the nod to supermodels, because at least they have a portfolio that was constructed around something other than being famous.

I would argue that previously, we "made" something from which we became famous, and we've now cut out the middleman and are simply "making" fame.     

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
At least that Instagram gal figured it out and pulled herself out of it by hunkering down and paying off her debts on her own instead of crying about it on social media, starting a GoFundMe page and begging her followers to help her out. A lot of people would have done just that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2018, 08:45:36 AM »
At least that Instagram gal figured it out and pulled herself out of it by hunkering down and paying off her debts on her own instead of crying about it on social media, starting a GoFundMe page and begging her followers to help her out. A lot of people would have done just that.

True.  Her story had a happy ending.

I feel like that article is also a good example of how it's all fake. A facade to decieve people into believing that you're something you're not.

While that article is one example of someone trying to gain a following.  I think social media has lead to lots of normal people doing similar with a facade.  I know for me, I have little to no interest in posting something that's negative.  It's just not how I want to represent myself, but the reality is that there are down times.  Times I'm sad or things are going great.  I chose not to post about that because I don't want to attention and I don't want to air my dirty laundry.  However, that leaves a social media that looks like maybe my life is great.  That's not my intention to create a facade, but it kind of does on a smaller scale.  No one should look at someones social media and think that's an accurate representation of someone's life but people do get that impression sometimes.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »
That's a good point, and one I hadn't thought of. When the historians look back at the historical record, what will they "believe" after viewing the entirety of online social records (check out TRAVELERS on Netflix)? But in that case, it's more inadvertant. When people ACTIVELY present a false narrative, they start to believe that narrative. I don't for one second believe that any of these people post any of these INTENTIONALLY INACCURATE things without believing that there's some truth to it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »
It probably balances out over a large enough sample.  I know some people who are pretty much the opposite.  If they had a good day, or just a normal day, that's not really worthy of comment.  But if they got a flat tire, or were late to something, or their refrigerator died, they'll post about it.

So there are people who post mostly positive stuff, mostly negative stuff, or any combination.  There are also some people who seem to post about every little thing that happens, but I still wouldn't ever presume that anyone's social media wall is a "complete" record of everything.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
What gets me a bit is people posting/sharing posts that have obvious spelling or grammar errors. Example "The Faker you are the bigger your circle will be' The Realer you are the smaller your circle will be..." I'm like, so who are The Faker and The Realer?...I see too many posts like that and wonder, why share something like that.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2018, 09:49:49 PM »
Going back to Stadlers original premise, I actually think that the opposite will occur over time. We already live in a throw away society and that includes information. People live in a series of interconnected moments, and while they are constantly recording those moments they quickly move on and what's in the past is soon forgotten.

Over time, there will be too much information to keep it for very long, and it will need to be constantly deleted and lost forever. Unlike searching church records , or ships manifests when researching our ancestors, our descendants will not be able to find any information on us, because there will be too much. Too many cat, joke, music, political and epic fail videos and picture's to catalog and sort; and the fabric of our lives will lack any substance; and as I said, there will be too much to keep it all in the first place.

All too often now our validation as humans is predicated on this addictive delusion that we have to constantly participate in the same glut of nonsense and useless information as everyone else.

Can you see someone looking at your Facebook posts 75 years from now? "Wow, my great, great grandpa was an interesting guy. On this day, he posted a bunch of really deep philosophical posts on religion and the origin of the universe, and then this cartoon about farting."

Nah, maybe I blazed a J, and got real deep, and then I farted.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
No kidding. My wife says "Hey so-and-so posted a cool picture, it's on my facebook feed (or whatever it's called), check it out!"

So I scroll through miles and miles of bullshit, then ask "When was this posted?" Wife says "Couple days ago." Then I just give up because I know it will take hours to find.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2018, 06:33:26 AM »
I think I agree with the premise that there will be too much data to sort through, but I don't think that data is going anywhere or will be deleted.  I say this because storage and big data is HUGE in the IT world.  Storage price per terabyte is going down and systems are being designed to hold onto this data and large amounts of it.  There may be better ways to parse the facebook data as well in the future.  Like in Chris' example, one could just search the persons name and not all fo facebook to help find the data they want.  But maybe in the future, the search is more granular and you can really easily find the meaningful posts, or only posts with videos on this date.  Whatever it may be, I just don't think it's going anywhere. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2018, 07:12:12 AM »
Anthropologist circa 2088:   "Why are all those women taking pictures of their phone in the mirror?  They must really like their phones."