Author Topic: The filming of our lives...  (Read 10982 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: The filming of our lives...
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 04:51:53 PM »
:getoffmylawn:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Harmony

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 10:00:35 PM »
Interesting topic and thread.  I won't mention how many times the image of Clint Eastwood growling about kids on his lawn popped into my head while reading it.   :D

I don't have any objection to people documenting their lives on film.  To me it is not much different than keeping a journal of sorts. How I wish I had more photos of when I was younger with my pals or with my family.  Cell phones have made this so much easier.

But what I absolutely hate is the selfie phenomenon.  I know many young adults who seemingly cannot go through life without snapping dozens of selfies daily.  Now don't get me wrong, I think it is great when people are confident and feel good about themselves.  But this obsession to constantly indulge our need to look at ourselves in various states throughout the day is annoying AF.  It is no different than needing to check our reflection in the mirror constantly.  I believe the psych term for this is narcissism.  It has gotten completely out of hand.

I wish these kids would get off my lawn.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 10:09:01 PM »
Interesting topic and thread.  I won't mention how many times the image of Clint Eastwood growling about kids on his lawn popped into my head while reading it.   :D

I don't have any objection to people documenting their lives on film.  To me it is not much different than keeping a journal of sorts. How I wish I had more photos of when I was younger with my pals or with my family.  Cell phones have made this so much easier.

But what I absolutely hate is the selfie phenomenon.  I know many young adults who seemingly cannot go through life without snapping dozens of selfies daily.  Now don't get me wrong, I think it is great when people are confident and feel good about themselves.  But this obsession to constantly indulge our need to look at ourselves in various states throughout the day is annoying AF.  It is no different than needing to check our reflection in the mirror constantly.  I believe the psych term for this is narcissism.  It has gotten completely out of hand.

I wish these kids would get off my lawn.

^ I agree with this. The filming itself isn't an issue, it's only an issue if you obsess over it. "Everything in moderation" as they say.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2018, 07:39:35 AM »
I have an issue with the selfie obsession as well.  I've taken selfies before, usually when I am traveling solo, but other times as jokes for friends.  But I would say I average one a week maybe and usually don't share them on social media (sent to my gf, or group chat).  I see people on social media who post at least one a day for everyone to see.  I have a friend who shares maybe 5 day in our group chat.  I think it's absolutely ridiculous.  There are studies about this and the results aren't very positive.  https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/taking-many-selfies-genuine-mental-958073

Research colleague Dr Janarthanan Balakrishnan said: “Typically, those with the condition suffer from a lack of self-confidence and are seeking to ‘fit in’ with those around them, and may display symptoms similar to other potentially addictive behaviours.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 07:54:37 AM »
I have an issue with the selfie obsession as well.  I've taken selfies before, usually when I am traveling solo, but other times as jokes for friends.  But I would say I average one a week maybe and usually don't share them on social media (sent to my gf, or group chat).  I see people on social media who post at least one a day for everyone to see.  I have a friend who shares maybe 5 day in our group chat.  I think it's absolutely ridiculous.  There are studies about this and the results aren't very positive.  https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/taking-many-selfies-genuine-mental-958073

Research colleague Dr Janarthanan Balakrishnan said: “Typically, those with the condition suffer from a lack of self-confidence and are seeking to ‘fit in’ with those around them, and may display symptoms similar to other potentially addictive behaviours.

I'll never understand it. This is the feed of a girl I used to work with. She takes two types of pictures. Every one gets 40-60 likes. When I worked with her, she'd talk about how she'd sometimes spend upward of a half hour trying to get the perfect pic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 08:04:26 AM »
I get it, I'm a fossil... but that's a beautiful girl, by any standard.  So why the calculated, mannequin-like head-tilt and duck lips?   Just take the fookin' picture.  (And don't get me started about the obligatory "camera in the photo" issue; it's simple geometry folks.  Next time a student says "what do I need to know acute angles for?" I'm going to say "for camera-free selfies!  Duh!"). 

In all seriousness, though, it's not the actual acts; if someone wants to take selfies, have at it.  It's the mindset WITH it though.  It's like Harmony says:  its the obsessive nature of it, and what follows from that:  I don't have issue with Chino's friend taking pictures of herself (as I noted, she's beautiful, so the more the merrier), it's the obsessive nature of WHY, as if that picture - and the likes that come with it - are important to her esteem.   THAT'S where this goes south. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 08:21:40 AM »
What I hate even more are selfie sticks. So there's this selfie mania, I get it. But at least you have to do the job, turn the damn camera or cellphone on himself. The selfie stick even defeats that purpouse, it's like "I want to take a picture of myself, but it's too difficult in specific situations to do it so I need a mechanical help".

Also, it's actually hideous to see people walking around with those.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 08:38:12 AM »
I'll never understand it. This is the feed of a girl I used to work with. She takes two types of pictures.

You mean the same two types of pictures every woman takes of themselves?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 08:43:18 AM »
What I hate even more are selfie sticks. So there's this selfie mania, I get it. But at least you have to do the job, turn the damn camera or cellphone on himself. The selfie stick even defeats that purpouse, it's like "I want to take a picture of myself, but it's too difficult in specific situations to do it so I need a mechanical help".

Also, it's actually hideous to see people walking around with those.

The bold is why I never use one, it's simply just annoying to use and carry.  But I won't totlaly hate on them, because for some people, or groups of people, it makes sense to use.  Here's my same selfie friend making fun of these girls in Vegas for using a seflie stick.  His arms are just long so he doesn't need one compared to shorter people  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 08:47:41 AM »
Five girls, presumably on vacation, and four of them have their faces buried in their phones.   People rule!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2018, 06:34:22 PM »
Five girls, presumably on vacation, and four of them have their faces buried in their phones.   People rule!

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. I know it's easy to do (with it being the topic of the thread & all), but there are plenty of otther possible explanations for context in that picture. Here's a few I came up with:

>They've been in that area for a long period of time & are waiting for something else
>They're looking up directions because they don't know the area very well
>They've lost someone in their group & are trying to get in contact with them to find them
>They're meeting with someone else later & are trying to organise where they'll be
>Similar to above, but maybe they're waiting for the person they're meeting with to show up
>They have their travel guides on their phones
>They aren't actually on vacation & this is just where they live

With these possibilities in mind,  doesn't it seem a little over-conclusive imo to just say "this is why this is a problem with society" knowing no context to the original situation (especially when that conclusion just-so-happens to support your original viewpoint on technology & its negative effect on society)?

(Edited because my original post came off unnecessarily harsh, which wasn't my intention)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:48:11 PM by IDontNotDoThings »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2018, 08:18:18 PM »
Eh, I don't think any of this is as huge a deal as some people thing.

It's not too terribly different from the anti-video game movement, the anti-television movement, the anti-music stuff, etc etc.

Every generation decides that the next generation is on the path to assured self-destruction and dumbing down the culture to irreversible degrees, yet we're doing just fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2018, 10:03:59 PM »

It's not too terribly different from the anti-video game movement, the anti-television movement, the anti-music stuff, etc etc.

Every generation decides that the next generation is on the path to assured self-destruction and dumbing down the culture to irreversible degrees, yet we're doing just fine.

One, my comment was more a joke than some deep assessment and judgement of the girls... having said that, I think this is more than that, though Adami.   Did television or Black Sabbath change our brain wiring? Maybe it did, maybe it didn't.  I'd rather think that we're on to something here and the naysayers from the past are about to be vindicated than just more of my "get off my lawn-ism".

Offline Adami

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »
Oh that was just a general reply. Not about the girls.

I stand by my comment knowing full well you and most others will instinctually disagree.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2018, 06:36:23 AM »
Here are my two cents for the conversation:

10+ years ago, I was someone who loved taking pictures of things I did and places I visited, but NEVER took a picture of myself. The only pictures you will find of me are group gatherings or a picture someone else took while i wasnt looking. I loved to take picture of a nice sunset, a special tree, a cool view or field, a nice waterfall, etc. but hated taking pictures of myself. And back then, I would share some those pictures I was taking because i felt not everyone got to experience i what I did.

I deleted all my social media about 5-6 years ago because I got tired of knowing what everyone was having for breakfast, and what outfit they had for that day. Social media was created as a mean to communicate with those you normally wouldn’t otherwise, to make it easy to keep in contact with others. But it has turned into a “look at me, like me, tell me how awesome I am”. It’s making people lose important social skills. I’m seeing this new generation growing up, and some of the kids that are recent high school or college graduate and a good chunk of them lack basic social skills needed to be successful. They grew up attached to a game or cellphone and now lack certain qualities they need in “the real world”. And I think this phenomenon is just going to get worse because this is just the beginning.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2018, 04:47:44 AM »
I do occasionally contemplate how many complete strangers' photos I have unknowingly appeared in, even as a little dot in the distance.

I do agree with this though. And this generation will no doubt come to think that our sons and our grandsons are on the path to destruction etc. etc. The cycle will continue on and on.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:52:57 AM by RoeDent »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2018, 08:13:15 AM »
It's more than "just" pictures, though. That's a huge part of it, but not all of it.  It's the consequences of that as well.  Studies have shown that the swiping of phones gives a dopamine rush.  This is far more complicated than just "a rush of pleasure".  They're finding now that "dopamine" is more about "searching" than "pleasure" (that's more an opioid rush).   There are other factors in a dopamine rush - unpredictability, anticipation - that aren't present in some of the other, older stimuli.   I think there is some science that suggests this ISN'T a "get off my lawn" moment here.  This is new, this is important, and this is PHYSICALLY affecting the brains of our kids in ways that the stuff that came before isn't.   

Offline Adami

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2018, 08:18:24 AM »
It's more than "just" pictures, though. That's a huge part of it, but not all of it.  It's the consequences of that as well.  Studies have shown that the swiping of phones gives a dopamine rush.  This is far more complicated than just "a rush of pleasure".  They're finding now that "dopamine" is more about "searching" than "pleasure" (that's more an opioid rush).   There are other factors in a dopamine rush - unpredictability, anticipation - that aren't present in some of the other, older stimuli.   I think there is some science that suggests this ISN'T a "get off my lawn" moment here.  This is new, this is important, and this is PHYSICALLY affecting the brains of our kids in ways that the stuff that came before isn't.

Lots of stuff physically affects our brains.. Hell, working out gives us a dopamine rush. You're picking one of MANY things that give us a dopamine rush, declaring it bad, while ignoring the countless other things.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2018, 08:30:32 AM »
About this technology out of control or being such an integrant part of our lives... sometimes I feel I was born at the exact, proper time to witness it all, and that I was in the middle of the two worlds, the "ancient" one and the "modern" one.

I was born in 1979 and I was a teenager in the '90's. I've used pen and paper at school, I've discovered music with second and third hand cassette tapes, I've called from home phones and public phones during holidays, and then I was still young enough when the internet, CDs and PCs and of course cellphones were really starting to become common. I absolutely know what it was like before, and I was witnessing first hand the new technologies as they were growing. This maybe puts me in the ideal position to understand both worlds, people younger than me are born with a smartphone in their hands and don't know what it's like to live without it... I do. And this helps me put all this use/abuse of technology into contest, I know there was a world before this so I can see the social media for what they are, something more, something additional, a game almost... not an "essential" thing or something you can't go without.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
I think this is an interesting topic. I guess I fall somewhere in between.  For adults, we can choose not to film our lives.  We can choose to film it but not share it with the world. Those that constantly do aren't really doing any harm though, aside from perhaps annoying their friends on social media.  I might think excessive sharing of personal photos is a bit silly, but I don't think it constitutes a crisis.

On the other hand, when it comes to kids, I'm closer to Stadler's line of thinking.  If kids are being pressured to take and share compromising photos of themselves, that's a problem.  I don't know what the answer is. It's probably not just one thing.  Maybe there needs to be some education - start somewhat young, and teach them that it's not OK to pressure someone into doing anything of a sexual nature, and anyone who pressures you is not your friend. Maybe don't let your kids have smart phones - give them a phone without a camera so they can call and text you, and not much else. 

We're not likely to turn back the clock on technology, and I don't really think we should, so maybe we need to try something else.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »
Pretty sure parents have been trying, with varying degrees of success, to teach their kids to not do stupid shit since we lived in caves.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »

Sorry.  I have nothing really to contribute, but nowhere else to post these, either.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2018, 11:21:08 AM »
 :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
The Harry Potter one is legendary.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2018, 03:48:49 PM »
It looks like the answer to my rhetorical question was 1 week.

Hi, ******. We're always working to make Facebook better, so we're adding more ways to use face recognition apart from just suggesting tags. For example, face recognition technology can do things such as:

• Find photos you're in but haven't been tagged in
• Help protect you against strangers who use your photo
• Tell people with visual impairments who's in your photo or video
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »
I got the same notice on Facebook a few days ago.  I think I just told it "No" for every option, though I don't remember thinking a lot about it.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2018, 04:30:16 PM »
I have my FB settings set to prohibit tagging or even posting to my timeline without my agreement.

Maybe they've changed that.  I guess I need to go check.  That shit is annoying.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2018, 04:31:21 PM »
I didn't get that notice. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
I didn't get that notice. ;D

Yes you did.  This is your Facebook.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2018, 01:48:26 AM »
The most ridiculous thing, but this is taking it a little bit off topic, even though it's a similar theme, is people in restaurants being more interested in their phones than in their table partners. And I see this so often, the couple that's out for a meal with each other, but they're on their phones constantly; the colleagues who are out for a meal together, but rather checking e-mails or news-feeds or whatever. And most ridiculous of them all; looking grumpy all the time while looking at the phone, only to fake a smile to take a selfie to show the rest of the world what a good time you're having. Oh, and don't get me started in people taking pictures of their dinner, especially in a restaurant. For fuck's sake, just enjoy your company and leave the outside world be the outside world for a while.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2018, 06:04:02 AM »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2018, 06:37:08 AM »
The most ridiculous thing, but this is taking it a little bit off topic, even though it's a similar theme, is people in restaurants being more interested in their phones than in their table partners. And I see this so often, the couple that's out for a meal with each other, but they're on their phones constantly

I'm just going to play devil's advocate here because this thought crossed my mind when my girlfriend and I went to Pies and Pints last Saturday night.

We spent the whole day together. We woke up, made breakfast, took the dog to the dog park, went to Kohls and Costco, did a little yard work, and later in the evening went to dinner at Pies and Pints. We were out and about together, basically all day, not using our phones for anything other than a shopping list. When we went out to dinner, it was the first time that day either of us had just kicked back. We ordered our beers and food, and while we were waiting for the food, our phones came out. I had some Clash of Clans commitments to fulfil, wanted to check Reddit, and I had to scramble to contact some members in one of my RC clubs to alert them of a cancellation. The girlfriend was rating and reviewing the microbrew she ordered (some app) and responding to an email from her sister she ignored earlier because her and I were out and about. We both sat comfortably in our silence until the food came out.

I'm sure to others nearby, they were thinking to themselves exactly what you posted. I was thinking they were thinking it as we were doing it. But the truth was, we had just spent 12 hours together and talked plenty. We both have lives outside of the two of us, and we took the 15 minutes while waiting for our food to address those things and people.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2018, 06:42:17 AM »
I'm not big into pulling out the phone at a restaurant, but I've been with my girl long enough now that if something important is happening or like Chino's story where we've been tied together all day, I have no issue with either of us using our phone.  But when I was single and dating, a girl pulling out her phone on a date would really turn me off. 

As for taking pictures of your meal, I'm also guilty of that.  If I get a cool looking meal, or when I'm traveling and talking to my gf (if I eat at a restaurant solo during my travels I am likely going to be on my phone most of the time) I'll snap a pic. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2018, 07:26:57 AM »
I'm not a huge one for pictures, really, but sometimes I will snap something and send it to my daughter who's away at school.  Either to tease her or let her in on something new.  It's not often, but occasionally.   

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2018, 08:36:23 AM »
I am in good-nature going to pick on Chino for a second here.... Mrs. Cool Chris would tan my hide if I did any of what you and Chino-ette did at dinner. She is fairly old-school, but in your described situation, I would agree with her. Everything you and she did was of little importance (my judgment) and if we are doing something together, all could have waited.

But as Stadler would remind me, I will tend my own garden and not assume what works best for my relationship would work best for anyone else's. If you two can enjoy each other throughout the day in such a manner as you described, I saw you are in a good place.