Author Topic: The filming of our lives...  (Read 10991 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
The filming of our lives...
« on: February 22, 2018, 06:03:32 AM »
If this belongs in the P/R section, please feel free to move, but...

The thought struck me in the "humor" thread... are we hurting ourselves with the current trend of filming and observing EVERYTHING?   

I'm doing my ancestral tree right now, and I'm sort of stuck at the "late 1800's/early 1900's" timeframe, in all four (counting my grandparents) limbs of the tree.   That's primarily because that's when my families transitioned to the States.  There is literally nothing other than church records that my ancestors even existed (as such, I've come to the rationalization that there are no George Washington's or Napoleon Bonaparte's in my tree.  No Adolph Hitler's or Josef Stalin's either, so that's good, I guess).   But I watch my grandson - rather, his parents - and EVERYTHING is not only documented - we did that with still photos - but video'd and put on Snapgram and Facechat and Instabook.   There is a record of just about everything, and I'm not sure that that is a good thing.   

Why?  Because we as human's are not equipped for that level of scrutiny.  Think about it.  EVERYTHING is subject to documentation, and we have to maintain that level of consciousness of our activities to sustain it.  "Where were you Friday?"  "Oh, I went out with some buddies for a beer."  "Oh yeah?  Who's the chippy with her titties hanging all over your arm?"   A friend of mine found some photos of his wife en flagrante delicto, and some of the details of the photos didn't exactly match the story he was given  during the courting phase.   Is she lying?  Hiding something?   Or is this just a first-hand example of the extremely well-documented phenomenon that our memories suck - badly - at the details of our lives, in favor of the broad strokes of our experience and our learning.   

Then what then about the selective presentation of our lives?  We can arrange these photos and videos in a way that's unrealistic.  That captures the side of us we want others to see and obscures the sides we don't... until of course they inevitably come forward (examples of this are both my friend's wife and, say, Harvey Weinstein and his ilk).   THEN, of course, you factor in the written aspect of this scrutiny - the Twitter, the Facebook - and you have a model of us that psychologically I don't know is healthy or sustainable.

Could this be part of why we're seeing what seems to be  (both anecdotally and statistically) the explosion of what some might call negative behaviors?  Increased prescription drug use, increased anxiety and depression, increased aggression and violence, even increased partisanship (politically)?   We have what I observe is this increasingly burning desire to be RIGHT, to be ACKNOWLEDGED, and I wonder if it isn't rooted in an increasing degree to which we are NOT right and NOT acknowledged in other parts of our lives where we were previously so. 

Thoughts?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The filming of our lives...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 06:16:25 AM »
I find myself getting lost in this thought all the time. I have to make this quick so this might not come out very coherent.

I too recently did Ancestry DNA. I've gotten as far back as 1815, and if I pay for the 6 month subscription, I'm almost certain I could get into the mid 1700s no problem (my family came over on the second or third voyage after the mayflower). I'll be honest, I wish there was more. It's crazy looking back 7 or 8 generations and seeing that my ancestors had careers like "rubber maker" and "meat". I have been able to see where some of them lived, where they worked, what branch of the military they served in, etc... I find it really interesting.

That being said, I do think there is a point where too much information is too much. The day will come when services will compile a person's entire online presence/life into a single, easy to interpret resource. That really sucks. My descendants will be able to look me up and see what a drunken asshole I was throughout college. They'll see the balcony incident and probably the immature knee jerk comments I threw at people who were tearing into me. They'll find pictures of me passed out with swastikas drawn on my forehead. They'll see that online I was rather vicious and unforgiving at times. They'll be able to see every hobby I've ever participated in. They'll see the questions I asked on a sex advice forum when I was 16. They'll probably find how I spent months researching how to grow pot and then was stupid enough to document my first grow and post it online. They'll see how much I drank underage and would sneak illegal fireworks across state lines for the entirety of my adult life. I think there's a 50:50 chance of being interpreted as a good person. But still, it's better than a lot of people, I think. At least my great grand children's great grand children won't see me as some slut who gave it all away in exchange for likes and heart emojis.

Where I think this is going to have the biggest impact is politics. I'd honestly really like to get into local politics, but my online history would put an end to that real quick. We're going to get to a point where someone will be able to call out another candidate in a debate and say something like, 19 years ago on March 19 at 11:53 PM, you liked an image of ________________". How can we believe what you've just said when there's evidence that you think otherwise? 

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:21:21 AM »
I think George Carlin addressed this point best:

everywhere you go now, there's some dick, some yo-yo, some putz, with a camcorder. and he is going to tape everything. doesn't anyone in this country just stop and look at things anymore? sort of take them in, maybe even remember them? Is that such a strange notion? does experience have to be documented, and brought home, and saved on the shelf? and do people really watch this shit? are people's lives so bankrupt, they sit at home looking at things they already did? and these guys are so intense you know. it's always guys, they won't let women touch the cameras. it's a highly technical skill. look for a hole. push on a button. big skill. and they all think they're federico fillini. low-angles, zooms and pans, and it's the same ugly three children in every god-damn shot. all the george lucas magic in hollywood is not going to change the unfortunate genetic configuration on the faces of these children. keep these unfortunate youngsters out of public view.

Maybe I'm just old, but I don't take many pictures or film much (except when I'm somewhere where getting awesome pictures is part of the draw, and I'm taking composed shots), and I sure as hell don't plaster it all over the place.  I value my privacy quite highly.

I'm doing my ancestral tree right now, and I'm sort of stuck at the "late 1800's/early 1900's" timeframe, in all four (counting my grandparents) limbs of the tree.   That's primarily because that's when my families transitioned to the States.  There is literally nothing other than church records that my ancestors even existed (as such, I've come to the rationalization that there are no George Washington's or Napoleon Bonaparte's in my tree.  No Adolph Hitler's or Josef Stalin's either, so that's good, I guess).   

Fun fact, all "white" people have a common ancestor just 600 years back, and all people have a common ancestor about 1000 years back...so you are descended from Charlamagne, and we are ALL descended from Genghis Khan.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:28:00 AM »

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:43:16 AM »
we are ALL descended from Genghis Khan.

No we aren't.

https://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/08/1-in-200-men-direct-descendants-of-genghis-khan/#.Wo7EtYPwZpg

I'll dig out the reference later, but a 2016/2017 "big data" analysis shows that everyone alive today is descended from common ancestors at about 1000 years back.

[end derail]
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:58:15 AM »
we are ALL descended from Genghis Khan.

No we aren't.

https://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/08/1-in-200-men-direct-descendants-of-genghis-khan/#.Wo7EtYPwZpg

I'll dig out the reference later, but a 2016/2017 "big data" analysis shows that everyone alive today is descended from common ancestors at about 1000 years back.

[end derail]

That makes no sense though. I'm sure in small pockets of the world, most likely Europe and China, that's true. But I highly doubt that people in the remote corners of South America and especially Africa have genomes that share the same 1000 year back ancestor as someone in The Ireland/Italy/Turkey region of the world.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 07:54:43 AM »
With a young son, I'm glad my wife takes a zillion pictures and videos of him.  My childhood is just a few pictures here and there separated by years.  All the small things have disappeared from my family's collective memory, and we only have these brief snapshots.  As for the oversharing aspect of a little boy who has no say in the matter, whose whole life could be chronicled on the web, I am sensitive to that and we are selective in what we share.  I recognize that he may not like the fact that some of his life was shared online, but if it's any consolation he won't be alone among his peers.

On the other hand, there is a bit of anxiety (maybe too strong a word) since I feel a compulsion to record and archive that my parents did not, since it is so easy for us.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »
With a young son, I'm glad my wife takes a zillion pictures and videos of him.  My childhood is just a few pictures here and there separated by years.  All the small things have disappeared from my family's collective memory, and we only have these brief snapshots.  As for the oversharing aspect of a little boy who has no say in the matter, whose whole life could be chronicled on the web, I am sensitive to that and we are selective in what we share.  I recognize that he may not like the fact that some of his life was shared online, but if it's any consolation he won't be alone among his peers.

On the other hand, there is a bit of anxiety (maybe too strong a word) since I feel a compulsion to record and archive that my parents did not, since it is so easy for us.

This is a good point. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to capture moments. I think the reasons behind wanting to capture them are what's important. I used to work with a girl that got pregnant in her early twenties. Her daughter is now 7 years old. I shit you not, from the day her daughter was born, she's posted between 4 and 12 pictures of her to her instagram account. You could pick any day and time over the last 7 years and I could tell you what her daughter was wearing and where she was within 4 hours of accuracy. That to me is lunacy.

My mother on the other hand, can't get enough pictures, and she's gotten more adamant about taking them as she gets older. She's seen her parents' and my father's parents' minds deteriorate into mush. I think we wants the memories somewhere other than her brain just in case. She's gotten savy with it too. She has four digital picture frames throughout the house, and she's put together several dozen USB flash drive 'galleries'. She has flash drives for Christmases, summer vacations, general house and yard photos, birthdays, fall, etc... The time of year dictates what's cycling on the picture frames. It's kind of cool.

Wanting to document your life and your surroundings for the memories and for family is something I'm all for. Documenting everything for the sake of sharing and getting feedback can become an unhealthy obsession. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with sharing moments on social media, but when we get disqualified from bar trivia because someone in the group can't stop snapchatting for 30 minutes, I have nothing nice to say.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 08:22:24 AM »
I swear I was just thinking about this yesterday.

Dig this. Back in 92 or whatever, Pre-mass internet adoption, things had to be presented in person. So say for instance you took a picture of your frozen eggo waffles you had for breakfast, got the pics developed and brought them to work or a party and tried to present them, Nobody would give two flying fucks and negative feedback would stop you from doing it.

Online though is a totally different dynamic. All of a sudden those frozen eggo waffles are getting upvoted and are now trending. WTF? People get tons of likes for mundane and irrelevant things. Narcissism is part of the human condition, some more than others. But shit like facebook I feel feeds into this vicious cycle, because people get a dopamine hit everytime there's a like and now we are craving validation and want the next "hit" in this validation addction. Its this leads into the need to be constantly acknowledged. Which creates spoiled children/people imo and this could be a dangerous road.

Where this will ultimately lead, I don't know, But time will tell. All I know is that I found myself going down that path with facebook, despite growing up in the 80's where none of this existed. I was able to recognize it though and got rid of all social media and for me personally, it was liberating. I feel so much more chill, not giving a shit about getting validation. I live my own like I am going my own way, and that has brought me peace. But I was able to do that only because I remembered what it used to be like. For a kid today growing up immersed in it, are they capable of that level self reflection. If you grow up in plato's cave, the shadows will forever be real. But anyway, we'll see where this goes.

Stadler, you my friend have been starting some very decent and thought provoking threads. And I think these are important issues to have a discourse on. Society at large is changing, and I think Its good to reflect on those changes.

And for anyone interested, I suggest checking lectures, discussion and videos by Jordan Peterson. This dude is fascinating and explores all this.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
Anybody here watch Black Mirror on NetFlix?
The first episode of season 3, Nosedive, deals with a lot of these themes.

Found this description on the webs:
"A roster of top-tier talent joins Brooker for this immaculate satire on the culture of likes and faves: leading lady Bryce Dallas Howard as a upwardly mobile type aggravated over a ubiquitous rating system that’s sabotaged her social life; director Joe Wright renders an antiseptic future dystopia in warm pastels and orderly shot compositions; and Mike Schur and Rashida Jones share credit on the hilarious, moving, supremely unsettling script. Seldom is the guiding theme of Black Mirror — the insidious ways in which technology alters human behavior — expressed with more lucid clarity. If any episode will make you chuck your iPhone into the nearest body of water, it’ll be this one."

Each episode is a standalone story, so you could just watch this one without having to go through the whole series.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 08:37:40 AM »
Anybody here watch Black Mirror on NetFlix?
The first episode of season 3, Nosedive, deals with a lot of these themes.

Found this description on the webs:
"A roster of top-tier talent joins Brooker for this immaculate satire on the culture of likes and faves: leading lady Bryce Dallas Howard as a upwardly mobile type aggravated over a ubiquitous rating system that’s sabotaged her social life; director Joe Wright renders an antiseptic future dystopia in warm pastels and orderly shot compositions; and Mike Schur and Rashida Jones share credit on the hilarious, moving, supremely unsettling script. Seldom is the guiding theme of Black Mirror — the insidious ways in which technology alters human behavior — expressed with more lucid clarity. If any episode will make you chuck your iPhone into the nearest body of water, it’ll be this one."

Each episode is a standalone story, so you could just watch this one without having to go through the whole series.

Love that episode. It was terrifying and excellent. Such a great show.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 08:40:37 AM »
While I certainly get and agree with Stadler's concerns, at least what y'all are talking about is voluntary. I've always been far more concerned with the involuntary recording of our lives. Setting aside the governmental filming of all things, which is far more frightening to me, how long until Facebook's facial recognition algorithms start flagging us in the background of other people's selfies?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 08:43:17 AM »
While I certainly get and agree with Stadler's concerns, at least what y'all are talking about is voluntary. I've always been far more concerned with the involuntary recording of our lives. Setting aside the governmental filming of all things, which is far more frightening to me, how long until Facebook's facial recognition algorithms start flagging us in the background of other people's selfies?

It does that all ready. When you go to "tag" someone it pulls their name up before you type so yeah, it's already happening.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »

It does that all ready. When you go to "tag" someone it pulls their name up before you type so yeah, it's already happening.

I was about to post that very thing. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 09:33:20 AM »
I was thinking of when it would happen automatically. "Good news! You were recently sighted at The Men's Club appearing in Dakota and Montana's selfie. Would you like to friend them now?"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 09:46:42 AM »

I agree; but I think the line is blurring.  I think it will ultimately be much harder to draw the line at involuntary disclosure when so much is being voluntarily disclosed. 

This is more to Phoenix's post (thanks for the kind words, by the way) but I think it's not JUST the filming, but the declaration.   My mom and dad have boxes and boxes of slides from their trips across the U.S. from before I was born.  Epic pictures of the Black Hills, etc.   NO one has seen them except for them and a handful of close relatives.   It's their memory, recorded for posterity.  That's not the same as proactively and in real time sharing your experience with anyone who happens to click (whether you want to see them or not).   I think there's a difference.

And I'm glad someone else said it, because I feel like I'm that old man on the porch every time I say it, but I think the narcissistic tendencies (I don't know that thats what it is, but lack of a better word...) are really going to be problematic.  I personally think there is a connection between the increasing rates of opioid addiction, depression and even violence.   I think it's every bit as strong as the peer pressure that we used to see when kids felt they had to have the latest sneakers or whatever.   or had to hang with the popular group in high school.  But now it's magnified beyond a scope we can imagine.   When I was in school, I had to worry about the 10 or so friends I had, and the 280 kids in my class, and the 1200 kids in my school.   It was dumb luck if any other school knew who I was.   Now?  We have REACH.  There's actually a website - you can't google it - that catalogues all the nudes of high school girls in our state.  (I know this because my daughter was being bullied and her social media accounts were hacked; we reported it to the police - that was me being stubborn when the Principal dared me to report it - and the cop gave her a web address and said "I don't want to know, but if you did have any pictures on there that you don't want your parents to see, go here and make sure that someone else didn't upload them.  And if they did we can go after the people that hacked your account.")

I'm not convinced that the adolescent brain is equipped to handle this level of complexity.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 10:13:50 AM »
There is a record of just about everything, and I'm not sure that that is a good thing.   

Why?  Because we as human's are not equipped for that level of scrutiny.

As phrased, I don't agree with this and, even if it were true, so what?  Dealing with new issues is how we evolve.  Keep in mind, by the way, that I'm not suggesting that I think the constant deluge of "Stadler had a cheeseburger" and "pg1067's kid is now 136 weeks old" posts on social media is a good thing.  I don't, but for different reasons.  I'm a very nostalgic person, and I have found myself wishing on numerous occasions that my mother had better "documented" my youth.

As for the rest of it, I don't have any problem with increased risk resulting from stupid behavior curbing the stupid behavior.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 10:33:09 AM »
Well, I'm thankful for amateur porn. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »
Wrong thread?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »

This.

Were it not for my massive fuck up and am now in the DWI database, unless you're on DTF and look for my picture, there are no pictures of me online. I'm on zero social media, no tagging, no instagram pics, zero. So yes, it's almost entirely voluntary and it's almost entirely warranted by their desire to be the center of attention and finally prove to themselves what they've always been thinking: That they're special, and deserved to be recognized; that among the seven billion, they're in the limelight of life and are without a doubt an individual. It's pretty fucking gross. The allusions to the already mentioned Black Mirror episode, Nosedive are so fucking real that just the thought of it is anxiety inducing.

I'll never be on social media again, ever. I got out early (relatively, and at least during the initial boom of Facebook) and ever since I've watched people quite literally just scroll through pictures of people they hate, exes they pine for or pictures of themselves to mentally masturbate to and it's all such a massive load of bullshit. There's some people that use it strictly for connection with people who they would otherwise not have a connection to, and that's great, but that is so few and far between that the microcosm of Facebook so heavily dwarfs the minuscule amounts that use it as such that it's not even a statistic.

Otherwise it's what Stad said. Pictures upon pictures upon videos upon videos of people who are trying so desperately to cling to some kind of microsecond of fame that they end up changing themselves or simply feigning a social persona so religiously that once the solitude arrives and there isn't anyone else around, the person left isn't anything like the ones documented. The really sad thing is that other than a few either accidental moments or outliers of the majority, people don't "document everything", they document everything that they think is worth documenting, which ends up being a portrait of deluded, skewed perfection that is so unrealistic and manipulated that it might as well be a fantasy. Which is what perpetuates the whole culture. Go online and look at how perfect your life is, at how many friends you have and how much they like you. Then turn it off and see what kind of reality you live in...or just keep on liking. (Seriously, Nosedive is already here, it's just that the tech isn't just yet...but soon)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 10:45:48 AM »
Well, I'm thankful for amateur porn. 

Likewise. I hate it when a porn star signs with an agent and forgoes their amateur status.

On topic, now that we have kids, Mrs. Cool Chris and I take a ton of pictures, sorta for us and for them to see when they grow up, and for the grandparents. Sometimes it seems we can't go anywhere more glamorous than Fred Meyer without her wanting to take a picture of us there. It annoys me, but I get her intentions. She asks my permission every time she wants to post a picture including me on facebook, and I usually reluctantly say yes. I don't have an account, so I can't be facially tagged (getting back to the porn them...).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 10:46:51 AM »
Social media has played a major part of the obsession. Also, the upgrade of cellphones into little handheld computers also is major. You've got kids whom have access to anything they can imagine, in the palms of their hands.

In school, you've got the old peer pressure bullying scrap. Now it has escalated big time. Kids now have to worry about missing out on a Facebook event, the Snapchat their peers sent, what someone said about them on Facebook or posted. Its too much for their little brains which also worry about the bombardment of homework and tests. Also, doesn't help schools utilize Social Media and texts more. Its crazy how much schools have changed.

You've got kids filming a teachers rant that suddenly gets them fired, when no one else knows the context of that rant. Could've been a reenactment, the student was acting up and the teacher had enough and just went all out. Thats what I dont like. Yet, you got the one student who understands the context and won't tell anyone, it wasn't the teachers fault, for fear of being called a loser, Hell probably worse words, plastered all over their social media pages, even getting threats. Thats one reason why I feel kids don't say anything anymore. Its a habit that needs to be addressed in schools, I feel. That will help the bullying.

Doesnt help either that grown adults still do exactly the same thing. Like the recent lady that caused a scene on a plane because she didn't want to be seated next to a baby. Some chick recorded it, posted it and it went viral. That lady then lost her job. The chick then had to go on camera saying shes sorry and didn't mean for that lady to lose her job...For me, if she had any sense she wouldn't have posted that in the first place.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 10:47:05 AM »
Wasn’t lettuces what you were growing?  :omg:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 10:47:56 AM »
Wrong thread?

It could work in the other thread.   :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 10:51:48 AM »

In one of my basement's rooms  :hat

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »
Stads, if for some reason there's ever something that totally destroys and shuts down all social media, while I will be pretty horrified at that, a small part of me will smile knowing that you'd be in a state of bliss.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 11:44:53 AM »
There is a record of just about everything, and I'm not sure that that is a good thing.   

Why?  Because we as human's are not equipped for that level of scrutiny.

As phrased, I don't agree with this and, even if it were true, so what?  Dealing with new issues is how we evolve.  Keep in mind, by the way, that I'm not suggesting that I think the constant deluge of "Stadler had a cheeseburger" and "pg1067's kid is now 136 weeks old" posts on social media is a good thing.  I don't, but for different reasons.  I'm a very nostalgic person, and I have found myself wishing on numerous occasions that my mother had better "documented" my youth.

As for the rest of it, I don't have any problem with increased risk resulting from stupid behavior curbing the stupid behavior.

So you think that a teenage girl (or boy) that is already struggling with their burgeoning sexuality, puberty, peer pressure, substance abuse, and what not, is totally prepared to now deal with the world seeing their boobies or their penis?  You think with the well-documented lack of ability to fully understand consequences that they now have the ability to comprehend that that "harmless" photo sent to that boy/girl they like can now, potentially, land them in jail (child porn), hinder their job search, or perhaps create issues later on with their partners? 

EDIT:  What our Uncle said. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »
Stads, if for some reason there's ever something that totally destroys and shuts down all social media, while I will be pretty horrified at that, a small part of me will smile knowing that you'd be in a state of bliss.

Like I hit the lottery, Margot Robbie came over for casual sex, and Kiss was playing a full set in my backyard.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »

Or it's how a species can be crippled. The white rhino has been dealing with the issue of hunters for decades now. How's that going for it?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »

You can count me in on that bliss as well.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
So you think that a teenage girl (or boy) that is already struggling with their burgeoning sexuality, puberty, peer pressure, substance abuse, and what not, is totally prepared to now deal with the world seeing their boobies or their penis?  You think with the well-documented lack of ability to fully understand consequences that they now have the ability to comprehend that that "harmless" photo sent to that boy/girl they like can now, potentially, land them in jail (child porn), hinder their job search, or perhaps create issues later on with their partners?

I don't know if any particular hypothetical person is or isn't prepared to deal with the consequences of a stupid decision.  However, I stand by my disagreement with your statement that "we as human's [sic] are not equipped for [the] level of scrutiny" that comes with the phenomenon being discussed.  Just like anything else, we need to educate kids about risks that exist in the world and the consequences of bad decisions, but then each person gets to decide for him/herself what to do.  Some will make good decisions, and some won't.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 01:25:40 PM »
Some will make good decisions, and some won't.

And those that don't will claim they are victims and that it wasn't there choices that got them where they are.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »

In one of my basement's rooms  :hat

:metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »
I personally love getting pictures and moreso video of things that I feel like I would want to remember one day.  I'm glad I was able to get some cool photos and videos from my college years before cell phone cameras were a thing.  I wish I had more footage of my time as a child honestly.  I hated when when my parents brought out their camera as a kid, but looking back, I wish they had done it more.  Watching family videos is often hilarious and fun.  Now granted, those aren't public.  But I don't really feel the need to make everything public.  I have a ridiculous amount of media on my hard drive at home that I have no desire to make public (and it's not sex videos, it's just stuff that I don't think anyone would find interesting besides myself essentially).  I don't really see any issue with documenting my life this way.  I certainly don't think my life is special or worthy of documenting, but I kind of enjoy it for myself and for my own memories since the human memory isn't permanent.  If my grandchild one days see the video of me throwing bottles off my balcony which lead to a disorderly conduct charge from the cops, so be it.  It happened.  I made a mistake and paid the price for it.  The video is hilarious, but the laugh came at a large cost to me so I can always teach that lesson I guess. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 04:46:48 PM »
For anybody interested, here's Cram's bottle throwing incident

https://youtu.be/xh3NxGToGa4