Author Topic: Concerts/Tours that should have had official live album releases!  (Read 1928 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Concerts/Tours that should have had official live album releases!
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 11:12:15 AM »
Page/Plant UnLedded tour.

There is a DVD of songs from that first go-round.  It's not really a complete live show.  Unless you're talking about the bigger tour they did in support of "Walking Into Clarksdale", in which case, I'm right there with you. 

I did find a couple of pro-shot bootlegs on YouTube from the UnLedded tour.  Never heard of an official release from that tour though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »
- A Whitesake "Slide It In" tour show

Did they headline outside the U.S.?  I saw them on that tour, but they were in an opening slot (or, more accurately, the second of a three band bill in between Kick Axe and Quiet Riot).  I wish I could tell you what songs they played, but I didn't know the music very well at that time, so it didn't stick.  I do remember the title song and Love Ain't No Stranger (Coverdale talked about their "new" video on MTV as he was introducing it).  And I remember that Sykes was incredible.  And I remember that they put on a REALLY good show overall.

I honestly don't know; that's about the time I was seeing a lot of shows and would have gone to see them, but I can't really recall them coming to the East Coast in any real way.   Though I don't know that I would  have gone to see a Quiet Riot headline show.  :)

Now?  Probably not.  But back then?  And with Whitesnake and Kick Axe opening?  Without hesitation.  All three bands put on a great show.  Kick Axe had the raw energy of a young band with good hard rock chops and songwriting trying to make it.  Whitesnake had that Coverdale swagger.  Quiet Riot, despite only being two albums in, had that veteran stature of a band who had been grinding away for a long time, and had finally broken through.  They had grown a LOT from all those club years and on the Metal Health tour, and it showed by the time they were out headlining on the Condition Critical tour.  They definitely brought it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 11:56:03 AM »
Iced Earth - 2002 European Horror Show Tour (3 hour retrospective/themed show)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 12:01:31 PM »
Van Halen 1984 Tour
Along with the Somewhere In Time tour.
Queensryche - Promised Land tour
Judas Priest's Painkiller tour.
All of these (above). Plus of course, an official release from the Six Degrees tour and a live release combining their 2 shows in Melbourne, Australia in 2009 (which would give us most of the songs performed on the Black Clouds tour).

Also live releases from:
Depeche Mode's Violator tour
Extreme's Waiting for the Punchline tour (with MM on drums)
Riverside's ADHD tour
Seal's 1995 tour
Tesla's show in Milwaukee in June 1992 (last minute substitute for Poison - this show was amazing!)
compilation from Van Halen's shows in 1977

- A U2 Joshua Tree show (firt time, not the reboot from last year)
I know there's some great soundboard recordings (I believe properly mixed) out there in circulation that were rumored to have been for Rattle and Hum. That would probably pretty close to an official release.

- Anything from Ozzy with Randy Rhoads (though I'd take a Brad Gillis regular gig as well). 
Like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Speak-Devil-Ozzy-Osbourne/dp/B0085KGGLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519238676&sr=8-1&keywords=speak+of+the+devil+dvd
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 12:52:54 PM »
In general, I would love to get some actual video recording of some broadway shows. Can't really easily go to a Broadway show, over here they translate musicals (sometimes terribly so), and I am not really interested in an overproduced film filled with actors that can't sing as well as the actual broadway singers. Exceptions are there and there are some good dvd's out there, but not nearly as much as there could be.

Furthermore, here are some smaller artists and tours I really would've loved to see on a dvd:
-Sonata Arctica on their Ecliptica Anniversary tour and their acoustic tour.
-Symphony X during their Oddysee years.
-The Gentle Storm, the shows with Arjen Lucassen playing with them.

Also, an ACDC with Axl Rose release, Rock or Bust tour, but from what I have heard there will actually be a live release? I really liked what I have heard from some bootleg snippets. And a new studio album.

Hand Cannot Erase desperately needed a live dvd

I agree. But at least we got a good pro shot Yahoo Live Nation show and parts of the performance at the Dutch North Sea Jazz festival (the latter broadcast had really good sound! Steven uploaded Vermillioncore of that set on his own channel(). It would be cool if he releases them both in full officially in some fashion in the future (as a bonus?).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
The Ozzy SOTD DVD blows. The footage is great but the piped in vocals makes it unwatchable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »
Queensryche's 1995 Road to the Promised Land Tour for absolutely sure. Such a bummer that they never used all that footage recorded by fans. For those that didn't know, tapers sections were set up on that tour so people could record. They were asked to send a copy of everything to the band. Most did, and nothing ever came of it. Really a shame.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2018, 04:39:04 PM »
The Ozzy SOTD DVD blows. The footage is great but the piped in vocals makes it unwatchable.

I agree.  I was excited when the official release came out but was very disappointed with it after I purchased it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.