Author Topic: How to learn a DT song  (Read 1392 times)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: How to learn a DT song
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:50:29 AM »
I’m not going to lie. Few years ago I spent 2-3 hours a day for 3 weeks straight learning 2 seconds of music and by the end I still couldn’t play it. So yeah I can relate
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:39:39 PM »
smooooooke on the waaaater
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:12:03 PM »
Sadly, I can totally relate also.  I had every intention of learning Jaws of Life from start to finish since I got a 7 String this summer and guess what....I can play the intro, verse, and chorus (mostly).  The solo?  Forget it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 08:47:34 PM »
Literally me when I tried learning the Octavarium synth solo. Never finished learning it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Pettor

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 07:25:47 AM »
I learned Space-Dye Vest on piano so I can brag about knowing a full DT song  ::)

Offline Evai

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 07:50:07 AM »
But can you play it with all the brooding artsy moodiness it deserves?
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »
I can totally relate. I have tried and failed lots of times to learn DT solos.

Some will give you a false sense of optimism, like The Best Of Times. It starts off ok and you're thinking, "yeah, I can do this", and ten seconds later you're in a world of pain.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
I learned Space-Dye Vest on piano so I can brag about knowing a full DT song  ::)

That, Wait For Sleep, and The Answer Lies Within are pretty much all I learned  :lol Space-Dye Vest is insanely fun/cool to play!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:48:46 AM »
I only know parts of DT songs. The first minute or two from PMU, the intro to OTBOA,  opening riff to Never Enough,  parts of Ytsejam, ITNOG etc.
I figured what's the point in learning whole DT songs if I can't jam them with others. I don't have the chops to pull off the average Petrucci solo either.  :facepalm: :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP