Author Topic: Tomislav's Second Roulette v. WE HAVE A WINNER!  (Read 33417 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette: EP ROUND HANGMAN
« Reply #560 on: May 04, 2018, 03:16:16 AM »
I definitely didn’t send any bad songs
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LordCost

« Reply #561 on: May 04, 2018, 04:31:13 AM »
i feel like the first one is lordcost's just because of how many different styles are on the EP there  :lol
I sent few rather long songs to hide this fact :lol
But seriously I think Elizabeth, Drones, and Deficit has some atmospheric parts and flow well without doing crossfades. Then Thumpermonkey is the closest band to Cardiacs I can think of, and Dirty Boy fits as a closer despite being an opener in its album. The only one that doesn't fit well is Ends Where It Starts, but I think Tomi should like it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #562 on: May 08, 2018, 11:51:45 AM »
Bumping this back to page 1
I should post my EP here too tbh
https://mega.nz/#!nF0ixJ5b!1DfMNfvNMJb5p7AYdka4KoczK_5UhhLow9xAR3fEFhs

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #565 on: May 10, 2018, 04:06:24 PM »
Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I'm still really busy with work and college :-\ what's worst thing, I'm doing writing paper right now and last thing I want is more typing... but I'll try to squeeze it in this weekend and finally crown a champion (or re-crown ;) ). I'm still not 100% sure who won, all three EPs are very good and all of them are close.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:28:39 PM by Tomislav95 »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette v. NUMA NUMA YEY
« Reply #566 on: May 10, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
>tree EPs

Ahh see there's the issue I sent a space EP not a tree EP, oops

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #567 on: May 10, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
Damn, I'm so tired :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #568 on: May 10, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
I think my EP wins
Squ

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #569 on: May 15, 2018, 07:00:53 PM »
Bumpity bumpity bump.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #570 on: May 16, 2018, 09:57:04 AM »
I'm really sorry, I know it's been too long but I really don't have time to do writeups right now. This paper is due tomorrow so I'll start with writeups after I'm done :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: May 16, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
Tomi is just too embarrassed to admit I won

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #572 on: May 16, 2018, 08:01:18 PM »
I'm really sorry, I know it's been too long but I really don't have time to do writeups right now. This paper is due tomorrow so I'll start with writeups after I'm done :tup
And when you get a chance send me an album for the final round of my roulette.  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #573 on: May 21, 2018, 03:18:04 PM »
I thought about writing results today but I wasn't home until now so probably tomorrow. Writeups are more or less done, just need the final touch. Until then - best and worst songs on three final EPs:

home:
Foals - Mountain on my gates (best)
Nils Frahm - Unter (worst)

LordCost:
Dream the Electric Sheep - Elisabeth (best)
Thumpermonkey - Deficit (worst)

Train of Naught:
Rivers of Nihil - The Silent Life (best)
The Haunted - Brute Force (worst)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette v. READY...
« Reply #574 on: May 21, 2018, 03:27:58 PM »
Everyone dunks on Thumpermonkey
What about my EPs best and worst tho? :(
Also, :soon:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #575 on: May 21, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
Squ

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #576 on: May 21, 2018, 03:46:40 PM »
Parama, I'm not sure, there are only three songs and I'm not sure lol
Elite, every song is the best.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #577 on: May 21, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »
SIIILENT NOOOW :millahhhh :hefdaddy
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #578 on: May 21, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »
I am scheduled to start spinning that rivers of nihil album in like two weeks I think so that's kinda hype
Alongside a few other cool 2018 metal albums

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #579 on: May 21, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »
Monarchy is also hype but more straightforward tech-death. No sax :omg: :omg: and no crazy Haken-sounding instrumental sections, so yeah
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #580 on: May 21, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
I'm kinda being hush hush about the album I'm really most hyped about for now until I get a chance to send them in Elite's roulette soon-ish but again not really gonna be spinning it that much for a few weeks  :corn maybe it'll turn out it sucks

Offline home

« Reply #581 on: May 22, 2018, 12:25:50 AM »
I didn't think that Foals song would be the best since I added it only after having to replace Mewithoutyou, but nice  :metal

Offline LordCost

« Reply #582 on: May 22, 2018, 05:23:44 AM »
I fear my tidbit is "Great start but it gets tiring", and the last two bands are the one I care the most.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #583 on: May 22, 2018, 10:03:42 AM »
Nils Frahm - Unter (worst)
triggered

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #584 on: May 22, 2018, 04:00:16 PM »
#3. LordCost - Graduation EP

1. Jolly - Ends Where It Starts
I received Jolly in my first roulette and while I liked it, I forgot to check them out further. This one's damn fine song as well, solid rocker with nice guitar sound. Singing sound so effortless and I like his voice. There's a bit weird breakdown in the middle of the song which I'm not the biggest fan of but it doesn't ruin song or anything just makes it less than perfect.

2. Dream the Electric Sheep - Elisabeth
Now here's a song I adore. Right from the beginning it hits me with beautiful atmosphere and emotions. Nice strumming on guitar, voice that sounds like it's coming from "the outside", thick bass, it has everything. And there comes that beautiful solo and lifts the song even higher. My favorite part of the song is that riff after the solo, it sounds pretty heavy and emotional at the same time. I'm checking them out for sure.

3.Thumpermonkey - Deficit
With the third song we're entering weird territory. The first thing I have to say about it is, unfortunately, that singer sounds really annoying when singing in higher register. The song itself isn't bad but I don't hear anything too interesting or memorable about it other than that solo, it's pretty good.

4. Black Peaks - Drones
I needed some time to get into Drones by Black Peaks but in the end I found a lot about it to like. Instrumental part at the begining is awesome, singing is also great, gritty vocals not that much. Screaming reminds me of Devin Townsend a lot but I'd like it more if there was more clean singing oh well... In the end, it's fine song, I can see it growing on me, I think I should check them out.

5. Cardiacs - Dirty Boy
Dirty Boi. Weird song. Very weird. I hated it at first, to be honest, and I couldn't listen to it until the end, that last note is really annoying :lol Later I started to like it a bit more but you should know I'm not a fan of weird music. Either this one or Deficit is my least favorite on the EP.

All in all, this wasn't bad EP, not one song was really "bad" but... only Elisabeth is the song I really loved and two songs were barely ok so...
Thanks for playing, other than this, you sent some fine stuff, especially that Vangough song :tup

Rest of the results tomorrow (probably :) )

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette v. WHO IS NUMBER 3?
« Reply #585 on: May 22, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »
Drones is one of the least interesting songs on that black peaks album tbh, I recommend you check out the full album though as it's quite good

Elizabeth is really good though, I was a bit disappointed the rest of the album didn't live up to the standard, I need to check out their new one tho

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #586 on: May 22, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »
Dirty Boy is incredibly amazing.

Damn, I think my EP gets first place..
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #587 on: May 22, 2018, 04:21:24 PM »
Either way, something with 'home' in the title is going to be crowned as the winning EP now, I don't like these odds :corn

Offline LordCost

« Reply #588 on: May 22, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
I fear my tidbit is "Great start but it gets tiring", and the last two bands are the one I care the most.
I forgot that Thumpermonkey was 3rd and Black Peaks 4th in the tracklist order, I wanted to say that Thumpermonkey and Cardiacs are my favourite bands of the list.
I imagined you would like Ends Where It Starts and I think Deficit is another catchy song, but I was prepared that you may not like the singer or the vocal lines.
I remember when I went to a Thumpermonkey gig at Sebright Arms while I was in London in 2013. I only knew few of their songs and at first listen most of the vocal lines seemed almost random and I had to talk with a girl who came with me to entertain her because I figured she wouldn't ever enjoy the concert.  :lol

In my opinion there are no bad songs on Black Peaks' debut album. Drones is not my favourite too, but it seemed to me it could flow better and have a vague sense of relation with the other songs of the Ep, and that you could like it more than other heavier songs.

I was sure you wouldn't like Dirty Boy, but I couldn't resist to put the most epic song ever at the end of my first EP.
I didn't like it too for a long time, I found it exhausting to listen to. When I lost the hope to enjoy it, I somehow do it and now I believe like many others that it's the best Cardiacs song. In the DTF Cardiacs thread I wrote something about that song in the third to last post, as a proof that I didn't like it too at that time.

It's fair to me that I don't win this thing, since I passed most of the rounds staying in the bottom half of the round rankings. I often tried to choose tracks like Knell or Elizabeth which I would call as atmospheric but maybe I'm wrong, I'm glad that you liked something :tup

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette v. WE HAVE A WINNER!
« Reply #589 on: May 24, 2018, 09:09:45 AM »
First of all, sorry for the delay, this round took forever because I've been really really busy last month. Also, I don't have time now either so I can't do writeups for Parama and Elite :-\ I know if I just don't do this now, I probably wouldn't do it by Monday.
So, let's do it:

Train of Naught - home's EP

1 & 2. Rivers of Nihil - Cancer / Moonspeak and The Silent Life
I knew from the start Rivers of Nihil would be something I'd dig. Can't decide if I like the heavy or jazzy bits better. It's rare (at least for me) to have song this heavy stuck in my head and it managed to do just that. I'm checking them out as soon as possible, The Silent Life is one of my favourite songs of the whole round.

3. The Haunted - Brute Force
The second track, Brute Force by The Haunted is similar to Rivers but a bit more straightforward and it's not really over before it gets tiring, sorry. It just doesn't have enough quality for me to distinct it from the openers. It's like I keep thinking of Rivers while this is playing.

4. Persefone - Prison Skin
Now, the Persephone is the band I heard alot about but never checked out. It's pretty much up my alley, noticeably more progressive than first 3 songs yet still heavy. Harsh vocals reminds me of Randy Blythe and I find him ok and powerful but I don't like his timbre that much. Cleans are great though and I like less heavy part of the song more. Good song, I will definitely check them out further.

5. Xerath - I Hunt for the Weak
I got Xerath on Discover Weekly on Spotify playlist last week and I hated that song, it was just bad. Fortunately, this one's a bit better. Verses are just ok, chorus is nice, I like cleans and atmosphere there. Solo is good as well, but nothing too memorable there.

6. Barren Earth - Zeal
I heard Barren Earth before, Luoto sent them in my first roulette. I didn't think I'd like them so I never heard anything else. Zeal is a bit different, intro sounds like intro to full blown power metal song :lol and it's also my favorite part of the song. I don't know, the rest of the song just falls flat compared to the intro. Actually, I like outro as well :D

7. Persefone - Stillness Is Timeless
At first I was like, what's so special about this? But then I heard it :metal Again, I think growls are just ok, I don't like them that much. And again, the part with cleans sounds better than growly part to me. One more less good thing is the guitar tone, it just sounds kinda thin, especially considering it's the genre od metal I expected to have better sounding guitars. The best part of the song starts at around 33:45, I'd like it if the song sounded more like it and less "balls to the wall" heavy.

This is of the best EPs I receive in these two roulettes in terms of structure and flow. Unfortunately, there are few songs I find kinda meh. But also, there are songs I want to listen again and again.
You sent some of the best stuff in this roulette: Eidola, Orphaned Land, Closure in Moscow and now Rivers of Nihil :tup

home: A Wet Dream

1. Nils Frahm - Ambre
This EP starts with Nils Frahm. I heard one album from him before and I din't get it, to be honest, it's just too minimalistic for me. However this songs works as opener of such chill album and it also has some nice melodies. I'm glad I had a chance to hear it in different context, I appreciate it more now, for sure.

2. 65daysofstatic - Heat Death Infinity Splitter
This song actually starts like static, like wtf :lol I have to say I like that a lot, massive, huge sound they have, it's the kind of post-rock I like. I couldn't believe when that melody started, I still don't know are those keys or guitar/bass with some effect but I know it's fire, man :metal It also reminds me of maybeshewill, the band I like a lot, with it's electronic tendencies.

3. & 4. Eefje de Visser - Naartoe and Scheef
Dutch language was weird at first but I got used to it. It's actually easy to get used to the language when the songs are good :tup I love those melodies, especially in Scheef, thet's really cool stuff. I usually don't like getting artists that don't sing in English (unless it's something growly) but this has growed one. Congrats on being brave :P

4. Caspian - Echo and Abyss
I don't think my love for riff contered post-rock like Russian Circles is a secret and Caspian sound just like them, with nice touch of atmosphere. The middle part with weird voices is very trippy and also creepy. It's one of those songs I want to listen to as loud as possible.

5. Nils Frahm - Unter
I'm not sure if I needed another Nils Frahm song here but ok, it doesn't bother me, it's nice and chill, and very short.

6. & 7. Foals - Spanish Sahara and Mountain At My Gates
Foals are a bit different than anything else on this EP but it works well. I heard of them before because my friend used to listen to them all the time but I don't think I heard any of their songs before. Spanish Sahara is great song, I love the buildup, his voice and all the layers in instrumental. The best song, though, is the closer. I don't think I can find the words to describe what I feel when I'm listening to it. For some reason, just listening those gorgeous melodies makes me want to smile and cry at the same time. It reminds me of Little Black Submarines by The Black Keys, one of my favorite rock songs. I'll just stop here because I can't do it justice. Can't wait to check them out further.

This EP needed some time to grow from ok to great but I liked every song from the start, there isn't anything remotely bad, I'd maybe throw out that second Nils Frahm song.
You sent goof stuff throughout the roulette as well. My favorites were The Family Crest, Arcane Roots and Foals.

If you read some of it, I think it's obvious that the winner is:

:metal :metal :metal HOME :metal :metal :metal

Congrats, man!
And thanks everyone for playing, next time I'll choose better time to run a roulette and make it more fun.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: May 24, 2018, 09:15:22 AM »
congrats homeboy  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #591 on: May 24, 2018, 10:14:02 AM »
Congrats homeboi!!! Will catch up on the write-ups later as I don't have time right now

Offline home

« Reply #592 on: May 24, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
Wooooooo  :metal

I'm really glad you liked the songs this much :azn: I wasn't too sure about Eefje de Visser because the previous times I sent her songs people were complaining about the Dutch lyrics. Unter was mainly meant as a short interlude between the climax of Echo and Abyss and last two songs but yeah I guess the EP could've done without it (still it's just a short song and I looove the haunting whistle).

Anyway thank you very much for hosting this roulette! It was a good one :azn:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #593 on: May 24, 2018, 11:38:41 AM »
Russian Circles in Haarlem on Sunday home?

Glad you dug Rivers of Nihil man, they were definitely the band I was most confident about, and the album is fucking sick :metal admittedly, The Silent Life is probably the best song on there but some are really close (A Home most of all). Never personally was bothered by Persefone's harsh vocals nor guitar tone, but I do see where you come from.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #594 on: May 24, 2018, 12:21:32 PM »
Congrats home! :yarr

I'll wait these days for the writeup of Dragostea Din Tei :corn