Author Topic: Tomislav's Second Roulette v. WE HAVE A WINNER!  (Read 33115 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette: ROUND 2 HANGMAN
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »
Just cut me and get it over with

I put together a pool of songs for this roulette but some stuff I discovered just last week I really wanna send to you because I think you'd love it

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2018, 02:25:40 PM »
Ok. Parama is out. Start sending for round 3.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »
Nice

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2018, 04:13:00 PM »
I'll get kicked, and parama too :P
I listened to the first bark psychosis album, it's pleasant but not really that compelling
I found it to be quite a grower tbh, really helps listening to it late at night in a quite environment.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2018, 09:27:47 AM »
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette: ROUND 2... AM I SAFE?
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2018, 02:57:55 PM »
I know I'll have hard time with this round, there are 4 awesome songs and 4... not so awesome.

Let's save someone. First, there's that song that clicked with me from the start and although right now it isn't my favorite, it could be with more listens (but I doubt it). It has everything I like, really and it reminds me of TDH more than your round 1 submission. Also, I like it much more. Singer goes a bit over the top but I'm fine with it, to be honest :lol although a bit pitchy, his voice serves the song well and those vocal melodies are majestic, stuck in my head :) I'm not sure if that's real orchestra but I don't mind if it's not because it sounds cool, I like it.
Nothing more to say, simply great song. Get ready for the round 3, home, you are first to go through with Beneath The Brine by The Family Crest :tup

1.home: The Family Crest - Beneath the Brine

soupytwist: Katzenjammer - A Bar in Amsterdam
Sacul: Bark Psychosis - Absent Friend
Train of Naught: Orphaned Land - The Cave
LordCost: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts
Parama: Julia Holter - Lucette Stranded on the Island
Elite: King Goat - Conduit
Puppies_On_Acid: Enslaved - Neogenesis

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2018, 03:16:47 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2018, 03:19:30 PM »
4 not so awesome songs... you hate my song enough to count it as four bad songs? Dang

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
Wooo  :metal

Pretty sure it's real orchestra, they have quite some classically trained members and there are a lot of live performances on youtube with real strings and brass :azn:
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »
4 not so awesome songs... you hate my song enough to count it as four bad songs? Dang
I don't hate any of those 4 actually, it's just that the other 4 resonate with me more.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2018, 03:48:06 PM »
Ahh okay nvm I'm the round winner then

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2018, 01:19:47 AM »
I don't hate any of those 4 actually, it's just that the other 4 resonate with me more.

Interesting.  I thought my choice would be a love or hate type song, the fact you don't hate any of the songs gives me a (false) sense of hope.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2018, 01:39:18 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if King Goat would not be your thing..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2018, 08:47:27 AM »
I would be pretty surprised if my song falls into the bottom four, but I've been surprised in roulettes before so it's not impossible ::) but looking at the lists of songs (and ignoring the bands I am entirely unfamiliar with) King Goat, Enslaved and Orphaned Land do all seem like bands you'd like based on what I heard and know about them. Not to say those are the definite top 4 along with Beneath the Brine, just my guess from the information I have (and my bias against that Julia Holter song :corn)

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2018, 09:12:39 AM »
This one was a brave choice, I must say. It's something unlike anything I ever listened to and poppy (most songs in this round were progressive, I guess). And again, you didn't go wrong. Depending on the day, this one could even be my favorite of the round but today it's where it is and it's good enough, it's above #8 :lol My first thought, of course, was how weird the song is, it starts with trumpet and banjo (I think). Trumpet melody gets a bit annoying after many listens but it's still enjoyable. My favorite things about the song are vocal melodies and I like singer's timbre a lot. There's not much happening in terms of complexity but I enjoyed it every time I listened it, it's really cool. Soupytwist, your're through with A Bar In Amsterdam by Katzenjammer :tup

1. home: The Family Crest - Beneath the Brine
2. soupytwist: Katzenjammer - A Bar in Amsterdam

LordCost: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts

Train, still think you're right? :corn
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:27:28 AM by Tomislav95 »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »
remaining 6 people right now:
:dangerwillrobinson::dangerwillrobinson::dangerwillrobinson::dangerwillrobinson::dangerwillrobinson::dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »
I'll remove King Goat from my list then :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts
Props to whomever sent that :)
;)
Maybe it's an useless submission because if Tomi likes the song he probably wouldn't like most of the other songs by the band, but I don't see myself eliminated this round

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2018, 01:13:54 AM »
This one was a brave choice, I must say. It's something unlike anything I ever listened to and poppy (most songs in this round were progressive, I guess). And again, you didn't go wrong. Depending on the day, this one could even be my favorite of the round but today it's where it is and it's good enough, it's above #8 :lol My first thought, of course, was how weird the song is, it starts with trumpet and banjo (I think). Trumpet melody gets a bit annoying after many listens but it's still enjoyable. My favorite things about the song are vocal melodies and I like singer's timbre a lot. There's not much happening in terms of complexity but I enjoyed it every time I listened it, it's really cool. Soupytwist, your're through with A Bar In Amsterdam by Katzenjammer :tup

Glad you enjoyed it!  They are a real fun band (great live too), sadly they called it a day last year.
No idea what I'm going to send for song 3 yet  ;D

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2018, 01:21:32 AM »
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts
Props to whomever sent that :)
;)
Maybe it's an useless submission because if Tomi likes the song he probably wouldn't like most of the other songs by the band, but I don't see myself eliminated this round
Thanks for sending this, I don't listen to Ire Works a lot but this has got to be one of my alltime favourites by the band, the buildup throughout the song is suuuper subtle.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2018, 01:29:48 PM »
I'm alive, guys, and I'll try to finish this round in next two days :laugh:

Next one is one of the song that weren't among my favourites. As I already said, it's not that I hate any of them. Actually, I quite like this one. The problem with it for me was that it's a bit forgettable (but it could be it's just me, of course). I heard it a lot of times already and I have hard time remembering most of the song, sadly. But as I'm listening to it, I really enjoy it. I know they sre famous for their chaotic sound but you said this one's different so I expected it to be more on the melodic side. And it's not surprise I like melodic part of the song the most, the one after the build-up. Nothing more to say, it's a nice song, really interesting and I'll keep listening to it after this round, it is a grower for certain. LordCost, you're in with Mouth of Ghosts by The Dillinger Escape Plan :tup

3. LordCost: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2018, 01:37:01 PM »
:soon:

Offline LordCost

« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2018, 02:24:43 PM »
 :tup
If you don't remember it it's better, you have more listens to enjoy

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2018, 11:58:02 PM »
Continuing with a song I also quite liked but it wasn't one of my favorites of the round. And it is a song which sounds as if I should like it more and I can't pinpoint the reason why I don't. There are solid heavy and sometimes melodic riffs which I like, of course. Vocals are not bad but not good either, in my opinion. My favorite part of the song is when female singer/s join in, it really brings the song to a whole new level. There's not much to say about it, it's the middle of the pack song, good, but not great. So yeah, you're through to round 3, Elite, with Conduit by King Goat :tup

3. LordCost: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts
4. Elite: King Goat - Conduit

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2018, 12:02:47 AM »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2018, 02:02:40 AM »
I haven't a worry in the world tbh :coolio

I dug that King Goat song a lot, but can see why other people wouldn't, it just kind of hit me but there wasn't anything special that sucked me in. Just mostly loved the riffage.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2018, 03:39:02 PM »
We come to the last two great songs now, one is the round winner and the other is almost as good.

This one's clearly the longest song of the round but interesting from the start to the end. There are combined clean and harsh vocals and I love cleans more. It's not that those are exceptional but I think they compliment the heavy, black metalish riffs really well (better then in your round 1 submission). Also, contrary to the song from round 1, transitions here are much more smooth and song as a whole is really compact. I like how it's not one-dimensional, and in fact I couldn't say which genre this is. But I know I like it, guitar solo is Opeth sounding and, for me, the best part of the song :hefdaddy I can't wait to check them further :tup
I think it's clear, this is your song Puppies_On_Acid. I really liked Neogenesis by Enslaved, keep it up!

You were right when you compared this to that one song from my first roulette ;) I like this one a lot, as well. And I think it's not surprise that I did, you all know I love those mighty vocal melodies (although the singer's voice isn't my cup of tea). The biggest reason why this is the round winner is that it simply makes me smile. Just all around my kind of music and I think this is really quality stuff, taking the best from folk and metal world (and it's also brave to make this kind of music). Of course, it has some minor flaws but I enjoyed every second of this song, will check this album out soon. Train of Naught, you're round winner with The Cave by Orphaned Land.

1. Train of Naught: Orphaned Land - The Cave
2. Puppies_On_Acid: Enslaved - Neogenesis
3. home: The Family Crest - Beneath the Brine
4. soupytwist: Katzenjammer - A Bar in Amsterdam
5. LordCost: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts
6. Elite: King Goat - Conduit

Next update is the last, one of you two is unfortunately out :-\
BTW I think I time these updates really badly :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
 :metal
this is why i should stop sending non-metal stuff in roulettes tbh  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
it's gonna suck if i get eliminated before sending you all this Really Good Metal i have but i knew i shouldn't have even bothered with julia holter  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

Tomislav's Second Roulette: ROUND 2 FINAL RESULTS
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »
Let's finish this. There are 2 songs left, songs I didn't like that much.

First one is actually a good songs but it didn't touch me as it should have. It's still ok and quite enjoyable but there isn't anything that stands out to me. Voice is kinda dull, and I think that's intentional, melodies are not what I would expect (but I like some of them) and instrumental is weird which is kinda cool. Unfortunately, this didn't grab me but there's still something about it, sort of dreamy atmosphere. I might even check this out, it sounds like it could grow on me. Fortunately for you, it wasn't that bad (or bad at all, actually) to be eliminated.
Parama, step up your game for round 3, Lucette Stranded on the Island by Julia Holter was much closer to elimination than your first round song.

So you were going for atmospheric route here, knowing I enjoy some of the such music. However, it didn't help you here. I think I could enjoy it sometime but most of the times I listened to it, I tried to concentrate to it and it just bored me. It works better as the background music though. And the worst thing is, I don't really know what to say about it :lol It's too long for what it offers and there are parts I really didn't like. However, it's not that everything is bad about it (not even close). Piano is really nice and paired with richer voice it would sound amazing, me thinks. Unfortunately, Sacul, I didn't like Absent Friend by Bark Psychosis enough, you're out.

1. Train of Naught: Orphaned Land - The Cave
2. Puppies_On_Acid: Enslaved - Neogenesis
3. home: The Family Crest - Beneath the Brine
4. soupytwist: Katzenjammer - A Bar in Amsterdam
5. LordCost: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts
6. Elite: King Goat - Conduit
7. Parama: Julia Holter - Lucette Stranded on the Island

8. Sacul: Bark Psychosis - Absent Friend

Start sending for round 3, I'll give you at least 48 hours to do so.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Tomislav's Second Roulette: ROUND 2 FINAL RESULTS
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »
yeah i'm done sending non-metal stuff, time for some meme metal  :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2018, 05:58:00 PM »
Oh well, at least I hope you can get into Gazpacho :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2018, 09:23:57 PM »
Wooooo :metal you're gonna like the album for sure, especially the lyrics on the track following The Cave: "Masters of speeches and measuring their dicks"

Sending now!

Oh, Parama sent Slugdge
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:57:22 AM by Train of Naught »