Author Topic: Mike Mangini Interview  (Read 2826 times)

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
Mike Mangini Interview
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:42:20 PM »
https://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_interview.php?id=1255

First time I’ve heard him mention a new solo album he’s working on.
Signature

Offline gzarruk

Re: Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »
Great interview!

Mike posted about his solo album a few times last year, he basically said he's been writing material for it and for DT14. Hope he gets to finish working on it soon, but he's going to be very busy this year, as DT is going to enter the studio around May.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »
Mike posted about his solo album a few times last year, he basically said he's been writing material for it and for DT14.

Wow, I can’t beleive I totally missed that.  Any ballpark idea when he first mentioned the solo album? 

I found the interview on Twitter after trying to check MM’s account for news.  @manginimike is missing on Twitter now.  :huh:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:44:58 PM by comment »
Signature

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:27:25 PM »
Wow, I can’t beleive I totally missed that.  Any ballpark idea when he first mentioned the solo album? 

I found the interview on Twitter after trying to check MM’s account for news.  @manginimike is missing on Twitter now.  :huh:

He created an account on some social media platform for musicians or something like that (don't trust my memory on that one) and on his bio said he was "currently" (last year) working on solo music and DT music. I think he also tweeted/posted comments on fb about that. This interview completely confirms that, anyway, so it's definitely happening ;D

About his twitter, yeah it's gone, don't know what happened with that :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »
Sweet!  Count me in for a Mangini solo album. 

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 05:16:45 PM »
I thought this "solo" he was referring to was the Into The Great Divide stuff... If he has something else in progress, can't wait to listen!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 02:41:47 PM »
Enlightening interview. I know deciphering Mangini is not easy, but the way I read it is, he pretty much knows his role in Dream Theater is just to lay down creative drum parts, not really pushing songwriting or direction of the songs. I guess after MP split, John wasn't going to give that up to anyone else (except for JR, of course).

Sounds like Mangini does have a lot more to offer, however. Interested in his solo work, whenever it pops up.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »
Enlightening interview. I know deciphering Mangini is not easy, but the way I read it is, he pretty much knows his role in Dream Theater is just to lay down creative drum parts, not really pushing songwriting or direction of the songs. I guess after MP split, John wasn't going to give that up to anyone else (except for JR, of course).

Sounds like Mangini does have a lot more to offer, however. Interested in his solo work, whenever it pops up.

I think you're right with what you're saying. However, Mangini has said a few times already that he's been writing ideas for DT14 as well, so I'm curious to see how he talks/reflects about it after it's released. I really hope he ends up being happy about the way it turns out and that his ideas are used, because, like you say, he definitely has a lot more to offer and sometimes I feel they're not letting him shine to his max capacity. Still, I love the 3 MM era albums so far and feel like his work as a drummer has been superb.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 06:35:09 PM »
I think it is clear as day at this point that Mangini is not pleased with his usage when it comes to writing albums or his drum sound on the albums.  I like all three albums a ton, but man oh man, I wish his drums sounded better (and the fact that they do not seems to not be his fault).  And he doesn't seem like he is the pushy type who will go into the studio and force his will upon the band to get his ideas through, when it comes to creative process or the mixing stage where his drum sound gets, for lack of a better term, smushed.

Dream Theater needs to do Mike Mangini right in both regards on the next record.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 06:40:08 PM »
There is a ton of wiggle room between being a pushover and forcing his will on others.

He can simply be assertive for what he wants without being controlling or overly demanding.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »

Dream Theater needs to do Mike Mangini right in both regards on the next record.

I think so too.  Love em’ and love Gini in DT, but in general I get the impression he could and would offer more.  Maybe he needs to be more assertive, but I’m guessing when you’re the newbie you settle in before you “rock” the boat.  Maybe DT14 the Gini will be let out of the bottle!   :metal

Looking at DT Twitter alone; my perspective is that whoever handles it promotes the band members side projects more than Gini’s.  I’m a Gini fan and love ITGD, but I follow the bands Twitter.  I was a little shocked to see very little ITGD promotion, but more of everyone else. 
Signature

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 05:53:20 PM »
ITGD was promoted even back during the recording session.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 11:30:26 PM »
ITGD was promoted even back during the recording session.

Promoted yes, I agree.  On Twitter, proportionally speaking to other side projects, not so much.  DT isn’t that active on Twitter anyway so really it’s not a big deal.  I follow them though and would have liked to see Gini’s side project get what I would consider more of “a fair shake”.

FYI the ITGD Facebook page says there’s a new song being worked on. 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:45:03 PM by comment »
Signature

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 06:19:24 AM »
Well, we don't know if ITGD 2 would still involve Mangini as he was just a session player.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 03:01:58 AM »
Yeah you’re right.  He sounded so good on the album I hope they decide to do another session together.  However, whatever Zac whips up is going to be good I’m sure.   :metal

I’m looking forward to seeing the MM solo album develop.  I wonder if we will have it before Petrucc’s sequel?   ;)
Signature