Poll

Do you consider Pantera an overrated band in the world of metal?

Yes
28 (43.8%)
No
36 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Do you consider Pantera an overrated band in the world of metal?  (Read 4683 times)

Offline WildRanger

Do you consider Pantera an overrated band in the world of metal?
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:04:40 AM »
I think they're very overrated. There are many metal bands who are much better than them and who deserve to be bigger than them.

What you think? Discuss.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: Do you consider Pantera an overrated band in the world of metal?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:09:04 AM »
I dig Cowboys from Hell as an album, but the majority of their 90s material is overrated imo.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:20:21 AM »
For years they were my #2 band of all time. They have slipped a bit over the years but that's mainly because I have played all of their albums to death!

Whenever I do get the urge though I'm reminded that they were beautifully brutal and I can just listen to them all day. What helped cement my love for them was watching their '3 Vulgar Videos from Hell' DVD. Me and my buddies used to get drunk and stick that on, it was a blast  :lol

So for me, not overrated at all.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:21:46 AM »
Absolutely.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:21:57 AM »
Honestly, they've barely ever been on my radar, and I have never really seen all that much hype about them.  So they can't really be "overrated" to me.  Just another band out there. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:32:34 AM »
I never realised how big they were in some quarters at the time - perhaps they were over rated but in their sweet spot (which for me is Cowboys/Vulgar Display) they were right at the upper end of my tolerance for "super heavy" but had a melodic side that I really enjoyed. 

After that era I thought they just went too far into trying to "out-heavy" everyone .  Even my favourite albums of theirs I found inconsistent but my favourite songs (eg Cemetery gates) are some of my all time favourite metal songs.

So yeah.........on the whole I would probably agree but they certainly had their moments for me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 07:33:00 AM »
No, not at all.  They were THE band flying the flag for heavy music in the 90's, when my other favorites were going a little softer (Metallica, Megadeth).  Not to say that those other records are bad, just not the full-on, heavy/thrash records like they used to be.

Dime's guitar playing and riff's, Vinnie smashing the drums and Phil being Phil - that's what they were about.  I saw them live three times, my favorite being the 1997 Official Live tour in the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.  I was 17, had just seen them a month or two before at Ozzfest from the lawn, and having the energy of their live show captured in an enclosed room was amazing.

So when I want to hear that unrelenting heaviness and groove, I go back to them, usually once or twice a year.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
I hear them once in a while on Sirius, and I have yet to hear a song that I want to listen to again.  Same with Slayer.  I don't mind the heavy, it just seems so... cartoonish at times.   I even sing the "Entrance of the Gladiators" (you know it as "the circus song") in my head when Slayer comes on.  Dime is a better guitar player than King/Henneman, so I haven't devolved to that point yet.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliōujoāupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »
never been a fan, so, yes  :P

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 09:59:19 AM »
I do like them, so no.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 10:02:18 AM »
Honestly, I've never stopped to listen to one of their albums. But one thing I can tell for sure: I don't hear the name Pantera as often as other metal bands.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »
Honestly, they've barely ever been on my radar, and I have never really seen all that much hype about them.  So they can't really be "overrated" to me.  Just another band out there.
Only now I read your post. It seems that we agreed for the third time in the same day. Is this a presage of the apocalypse?  :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 10:11:38 AM »
There are many metal bands who are much better than them and who deserve to be bigger than them.
You've just described about 98% of all popular bands in existence, or probably even more.

Do I like Pantera? Overall not really, but I don't think they're overrated. They were part of a very big heavy metal movement in the 90's.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »
Difficult question. As Phil's voice declined and he went into a rougher style, they lost me. But I'm not sure how I feel mirrors that of the metal world. For me, Cowboys and Vulgar are incredible records. But after that, I really just like a few songs from each of the records that followed.

Not really sure if I think they are overrated in metal, because it really depends on how you liked the evolution of the vocals, IMO. I guess that would put me in the overrate category, but to be honest, I love the music, so I am not really sure I'd agree with that.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »
CfH, VDoP and tGST are killer albums, but I can easily do without the rest of their discography. I wouldn't say overrated because at least two of the albums I've just cited receive the praise they deserve. And I absolutely LOVE Dimebag's playing.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
Highly overrated. IMO they're pretty terrible.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »
I love Pantera. Great band.

Yet, I don't get why people refer to them as a God-Tier band.

So yes... Overrated.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »
For me they were not overrated. In fact, they were THE premier metal band of the 90's and one of the top metal bands of all time.

Compared to other metal bands at the time, Pantera were in another realm. They had the best combination of heavy, power, and groove. They carved their own niche. Other metal bands didn't have that or they didn't pull it off (heavy/groove) as well. In the 90's you had old school Priest, Maiden, Ozzy, etc. still doing their thing. The thrash bands from the 80's either started changing (Metallica, Megadeth) and went not so thrashy or didn't evolve much at all (Slayer, Anthrax, Testament). Metal began to expand with sub-genres too but Pantera stood out above the rest. It was infectious.

I saw them 4 times live. They usually took out good bands that would open for them (White Zombie, Machine Head, to name a couple) and Pantera was just that much better than them live. They basically headlined Ozzfest in 2000 and while I didn't go, many say that the venues would half-empty out after Pantera was done before Ozzy took the stage.

You had the character & incredible guitar playing of Dime, solid drumming of Vinnie Paul, and people don't realize how musical Rex Brown is on the bass. Listen to Pantera songs and concentrate on the bass lines. He's not just playing along with the riff. He plays around the riff.

Plus, their material and influence stands the test of time. It's not like Limp Bizkit where you hear the music and think "90's nu-metal." Metal fans still seem to hold Pantera in high regard.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
Not their hair metal era...which a lot of people don't even know about. Power Metal for the win.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »

This. I think they're a great band that have some really good albums, but I don't think they can be overrated since it's not one of those bands that gets mentioned as the best or whatever
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
I love Pantera and have been a big fan for a long time.  They've been highly influental on many metal bands and Dime was a very respected guitar player so I have a hard time seeing them as overrated. Of course they're not as big as Maiden or Metallica or Slayer but they definitely influenced alot of bands and left a mark.
I think a big part of their popularity is how well respected the band and especially Dime was as a person off and on stage. Any metal band active during the 90s probably have tour stories on meeting and hanging out with the band and how crazy and fun Dime was. So since his death alot of those stories surfaced so he's become somewhat of a cult figure both him as a person and his guitar playing which might be a reason why they can be perceived as overrated since their music might not live up to the cult status they have.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 12:44:35 PM »
I love Pantera and have been a big fan for a long time.  They've been highly influental on many metal bands and Dime was a very respected guitar player so I have a hard time seeing them as overrated. Of course they're not as big as Maiden or Metallica or Slayer but they definitely influenced alot of bands and left a mark.
I think a big part of their popularity is how well respected the band and especially Dime was as a person off and on stage. Any metal band active during the 90s probably have tour stories on meeting and hanging out with the band and how crazy and fun Dime was. So since his death alot of those stories surfaced so he's become somewhat of a cult figure both him as a person and his guitar playing which might be a reason why they can be perceived as overrated since their music might not live up to the cult status they have.

Yeah. That makes sense, yet no one listens to Damageplan which is what Dimebag would be playing.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 12:55:55 PM »
People here make a strong argument with them being the flag-bearers of the 90s, but I still think they're overrated. From a musicianship standpoint I never saw it. Musically I thought Cowboys/Vulgar had some appeal. However, they seemed to target a demographic I really don't like, which is to say the hyper-aggressive shirtless fucks who just want to swill cheap beer punch each other in the face. I have to wonder how successful they'd be without the alpha-redneck audience. There are people here who don't represent that group, so I certainly get that they had other things going for them. When discussing their standing, though, I think it was their greatest asset.

Somebody mentioned half the audience leaving before Ozzy came on and my initial thought was "yeah, that sounds about right." I don't see any of us here doing that.

edit: In the interest of fairness I'll also point out that I was among the people who were around when Diamond Darrell was playing hair metal and generally cheesing up Dallas County. That didn't exactly endear me to them, and the transition to Dimebag Darrell was pretty comical.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 01:07:44 PM »
I totally get Pantera's aesthetic. It's aggressive, badass in your face groove metal and I think they're awesome for that. Dimebag's amazing solos are the icing on the cake, and outside of that I think Cemetary Gates is a beautiful hard rock 'ballad'. Not overrated at all. But definitely not a very versatile band or anything.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 10:59:02 PM »
Let me start off by saying that I love Pantera dearly. They are one of the bands that shaped my teenage years and Cowboys From Hell is still one of my all time favorite albums. And they did help keep metal music alive during the grunge era and were one of the pioneers of groove metal. With that said, they may be a bit overrated in the sense that other than Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power, their discography is very hit and miss. Far Beyond Driven and The Great Southern Trendkill are both decent albums with some great songs and some mediocre ones. And then there’s Reinventing the Steel, which was subpar at best. And tbh, as I look back, VDoP had quite a few clunkers on it as well (looking at you A New Level). Still, Cowboys From Hell is nearly perfect from start to finish and there’s no taking that away from them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 11:22:16 PM »
Not really. I think their material from Cowboys to 101 Proof is really direct, raw, in-your-face groove metal without having to fall back on the Alt. Rock, Industrial or Nu-Metal trends of the era. My favorite from them is The Great Southern Trendkill.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2018, 04:05:12 AM »
DO I love Pantera?  Yes

Do I think they are overrated?  Possibly, but they were just the number one band keeping metal alive in the 90's.  I do think the wraps they get for some of their stuff might be a little much but I love everything from Cowboys up to Reinventing, especially Trendkill, that's probably my fav and such an amazing brutal metal album.  I'm gonna vote no though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2018, 04:09:48 AM »
DO I love Pantera?  Yes

Do I think they are overrated?  Possibly, but they were just the number one band keeping metal alive in the 90's.  I do think the wraps they get for some of their stuff might be a little much but I love everything from Cowboys up to Reinventing, especially Trendkill, that's probably my fav and such an amazing brutal metal album.  I'm gonna vote no though.

In terms of popularity, I'll definitely give you that. But let's be real- many of the best metal albums of the 90's came from a certain band run by a man named Chuck Schuldiner... :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 04:10:17 AM »
Not personally a fan but they came at a moment where they were the answer to metal falling out of fashion or the giants of the genre failing for whatever reason to live up to their potential. They were the right band at the right time, an anchor for those who saw grunge taking everything over while Maiden and Priest and the likes were losing their singers and popularity. Also as noted above Dimebag was loved by everyone in the industry. I think they're rated just fine.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 04:14:49 AM »
DO I love Pantera?  Yes

In terms of popularity, I'll definitely give you that. But let's be real- many of the best metal albums of the 90's came from a certain band run by a man named Chuck Schuldiner... :metal

Yes, I meant in terms of keeping metal in the spotlight.  There would be dozens and dozens of metal bands in the 90's that I'd take over them, Death included.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 05:36:12 AM »
Out of the 90's American metal bands I would take Neurosis over Pantera anytime. And they sound heavy as much as Pantera.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2018, 08:26:45 AM »
Not personally a fan but they came at a moment where they were the answer to metal falling out of fashion or the giants of the genre failing for whatever reason to live up to their potential. They were the right band at the right time, an anchor for those who saw grunge taking everything over while Maiden and Priest and the likes were losing their singers and popularity. Also as noted above Dimebag was loved by everyone in the industry. I think they're rated just fine.

Dimebag is unmatched when it comes to coming up with incredible Metal Riffs. He was no slouch when it came to soloing either....but his metal riffs were/are incredible.

As far as Pantera being overrated....absolutely not. Sure there may have been other metal bands out there at the time but Pantera was THE metal band at the time that was at the top and driving that scene.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2018, 09:18:29 AM »
I don't think they were/are overrated. They're not underrated either. I think they hold their place in the history of metal. After Dime was killed, it increased the awareness of Pantera some, but not to the level like Cobain's death did for Nirvana.

There's still that "what could have been" if Dime wasn't dead and Phil got his stuff together. Would they have ever mended fences, cleaned up their act, and done more records? Who knows.

By the way, I'm not a fan of the idea of a "reunion" with Zakk Wylde on guitar as many have speculated/desired/expressed. Zakk & Dime were friends, but Zakk is a different player than Dime. Nobody really thinks this will happen but if it got traction, I wouldn't be interested.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 09:40:09 AM »
DO I love Pantera?  Yes

Control Denied?....

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2018, 12:57:26 PM »
I find Pantera extreme bland, and I don't get the hype surrounding Dimebag's guitar tone. But that's just me, if other people enjoy them then why not.