Author Topic: Best Monster Movie  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Best Monster Movie
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »
This is a tough choice for me, but I like monster movies (creature features). Maybe you guys can give me a heads up on some that I haven't seen.
 Among my favorites are probably Predator, An American Werewolf in London, Aliens.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: Best Monster Movie
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 01:04:40 PM »
I consider Jaws a monster/creature feature, and it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

Also I would put add Alien, The Thing, and The Fly to the list

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »
Bram Stoker's Dracula is my favorite. 

As for recent films, Dracula Untold was pretty good, and was supposed to be the initial foray into the Universal Dark Universe.  Have you watched the Underworld series?  That was a take on Vampires vs. Werewolves, and also has Kate Beckinsale slinking around in vinyl/leather for several films.

Kong: Skull Island was awesome, as was the most recent Godzilla.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 02:13:00 AM »
I agree with a lot already mentioned so I'll add Tremors, Deep Rising and The Blob remake from late 80's.

Oh and if we are counting Vampire movies then The Lost Boys is a classic.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 04:27:27 AM »
As for recent films, Dracula Untold was pretty good, and was supposed to be the initial foray into the Universal Dark Universe.  Have you watched the Underworld series?  That was a take on Vampires vs. Werewolves, and also has Kate Beckinsale slinking around in vinyl/leather for several films.

Taken as a whole, the first three movies are good, with the first being the best. The fourth is absolutely forgettable and and the fifth is ok enough to not completely rule out the franchise.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 05:32:58 AM »
The Korean monster movie Gwoemul (The Host) is awesome and is one of my favorite (deadbeat) dad and daughter movies with a great monster backdrop. What's great about it is that it's not just a monster film or about the brain dead action and has an actual story behind it with some seriously great character development, but on top of that has a fantastically developed and interesting monster to top it all off.

The most recent movie I can think of that piqued my interest in the category is Netflix's The Ritual. It's definitely mostly a monster-movie-tropes type film but the Nordic lore and the way they portray said tropes is at least partly intriguing and most of all the actual monster is a really interesting and cool design. I can say I was pleasantly surprised, quite so. I don't think I'll be watching it in a decade like I am Gwoemul, but it still stands out among a lot of other new monster films.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 06:26:11 AM »
Cloverfield.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 07:02:25 AM »
I’ll second ALIEN and ALIENS. Both were great for different reasons.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »
I consider Jaws a monster/creature feature, and it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

Also I would put add Alien, The Thing, and The Fly to the list

Almost exactly my thoughts.  :tup
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 08:58:44 AM »
The Korean monster movie Gwoemul (The Host) is awesome and is one of my favorite (deadbeat) dad and daughter movies with a great monster backdrop. What's great about it is that it's not just a monster film or about the brain dead action and has an actual story behind it with some seriously great character development, but on top of that has a fantastically developed and interesting monster to top it all off.

The most recent movie I can think of that piqued my interest in the category is Netflix's The Ritual. It's definitely mostly a monster-movie-tropes type film but the Nordic lore and the way they portray said tropes is at least partly intriguing and most of all the actual monster is a really interesting and cool design. I can say I was pleasantly surprised, quite so. I don't think I'll be watching it in a decade like I am Gwoemul, but it still stands out among a lot of other new monster films.
That movie (The Host) did have a cool monster, and dang was it hungry!!  The only drawback was all the screaming at the shelter and hospitals, obnoxious..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 08:54:32 PM »
Most of the godzilla movies are fun and worth a watch. Though I don't recommend the ones that come between Destroy All Monsters and Godzilla vs mechagodzilla. The series got really weird for a bit there. Though I must admit I kinda enjoyed Godzilla vs. Hedorah (aka Godzilla vs. The Smog monster) even with all it's weirdness.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 08:58:43 PM »
Hmmm, gonna have to throw this one around a bit, but off the cuff I'd say Alien sets a really, really high bar.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 09:17:49 PM »
For me, Alien, without much thought. Someone said Jaws, which I wouldn't have thought of for this purpose. But if we are including sharks, then Jaws.

Those old Godzilla movies from Toho and the like, I can't watch one of those movies for more than 5 minutes.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 10:27:08 PM »
I'm not really a fan of monster films, but I really, really liked Cloverfield.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"