San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals

Author Topic: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October  (Read 27663 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Dodgers vs. Red Sox
« Reply #490 on: October 28, 2018, 08:30:20 PM »
David Price is the MVP right now and he totally deserves it. I never thought I'd utter those words.

If they go on and win, I cannot wait to hear Jim Murray tomorrow. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #491 on: October 28, 2018, 08:32:24 PM »
 :lol

Glorious!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #492 on: October 28, 2018, 08:36:17 PM »
Maybe Steven Pearce for MVP?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: October 28, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
Seems like it!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #494 on: October 28, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
One thing I've noticed this weekend is that there's lots of Sox fans out there...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #495 on: October 28, 2018, 08:52:17 PM »
This Pederson at bat is huge.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: October 28, 2018, 09:00:02 PM »
Like Joe Kelly just said,

"Fuck yeah!"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #497 on: October 28, 2018, 09:12:00 PM »
Like Joe Kelly just said,

"Fuck yeah!"

Saw that!

Why is Sale pitching...against all righties??

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #498 on: October 28, 2018, 09:12:33 PM »
Tuning into the game just long enough to see Dodger boo boo faces.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #499 on: October 28, 2018, 09:16:09 PM »

Happy to oblige. :metal

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #500 on: October 28, 2018, 09:20:27 PM »
Our team hits a ball with a stick better than your team hits a ball with a stick.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #501 on: October 28, 2018, 09:23:15 PM »

Happy to oblige. :metal

Yup, took some serious delight in that one. Now to practice my humble smile for tomorrow at work.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #502 on: October 28, 2018, 09:24:36 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

So here was my starting lineup for each game:

And here are the TACs laying the seed 3 years ago!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October
« Reply #503 on: October 29, 2018, 04:03:18 AM »
Steve Pearce goes from having his heel stomped to hoisting a WS MVP. I can dig it.

Congrats to the Red Sox and their fans..... an incredible season given their record, and their wins over multiple 100 win teams just to get to the WS.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #504 on: October 29, 2018, 07:27:58 AM »
congrats to the BoSox, easily the best team all year.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #505 on: October 29, 2018, 10:34:49 AM »
Well...that sucked.

Congrats to the Red Sox.  I wish the Dodgers had shown up to give the Sox a fight.

Just atrocious all the way around.  We get two decent starts from the pitching staff.  One goes to waste when our manager puts our closer in the game an inning too soon and he gives up a homer.  Surprise, surprise.  And then the manager pulls the next guy because of a misunderstanding and puts in two players who have no business being on a major league postseason roster (Alexander and Madson)?!  Are you kidding me?!  What a joke.

I've finally come around to "fire Dave Roberts" side.  Yes, he's just a pawn for the front office, but he has no ability to manage a pitching staff in-game.  The front office needs to go too, by the way.

Our catchers are awful.  Our supposed #1 catcher is a switch-hitter who shouldn't be and who has trouble catching the ball, and our #2 hitter can't hit the broad side of a barn at the plate.

Manny Machado is a joke, and our other big trade deadline acquisition (Brian Dozier) forgot how to hit when he got here.

When David friggin' Freese is the teams best player in the post-season, you've got serious problems.

On a more humorous note, I looked at the box score for the 18 inning game.  JBJ is listed as follows:  "CF-LF-CF-LF-CF-LF-CF."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #506 on: October 29, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »
YES!!!!!!

Steve Pearce is a great story, and I'm very happy for David Price. It's tough to go through life with the choker label.

It's remarkable how dominant this team was, won 108 games and then got even more dominant in the post-season just cutting a swath through 3 great teams to the tune of 11-3. The success of their approach might be a watershed moment for the three true outcomes style of today's game. The 2004 team will probably always be my favorite but man I really like this team.

Guess I never realized what a clown Machado was until this post-season, I wish Kelly or Evoldi had buried one in his ribs.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #507 on: October 29, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »
I grew up an All-American kid, playing All-American sports. I played countless hours of baseball, football, basketball, kickball, soccer, tennis, tehtherball, lacrosse - you name it- in my neighborhood we played it. Most days, especially in summer, we'd play so late you couldn't see the ball anymore. So, I love sports. I played baseball and football through high school, and excelled in football. So much so, that I was accepted by and played for one of the greatest collegiate programs at the time, in the country. We were considered an elite program, and finished 2nd in the nation my senior year. I love football.

But, as I've grown older, I'm drawn more to baseball each year. As much as I love football, I don't watch football as most spectators do. You can have a strong understanding of the game, but once you play at an elite level- you wind up more often than not, analyzing every play and every situation. I've tried turning that off, but I can't. No more than a surgeon can turn off how to operate on someone; or a mechanic thinking about engine timing, while watching an auto race; or a pilot going over his mental pre-flight checklist when watching an air show. So, when I watch a football game, it can be exhausting.

I was a linebacker, so my role was to break down every play on Defense, in a matter of about 3 seconds, and call out one of about 70 different stunts we had before each play, based on down, distance, offensive set, and tendencies. There were more than 30 that started with the letter T. "T" words could be heard best on the field over our fans, who at one time were the loudest on the planet. Tank, tonk, turner, trip, Tennessee, travel, Travis, tiny, talk, tape, taxi, teacher--- all had particular nuanced meaning. And EVERY football game I watch, I'm instinctively doing that, every play.

I find that as much as I know about baseball (and that's a lot), I can watch and cheer for my team. I can just be a fan. I love baseball. The tradition, the pace, the strategy, the history, the grind. It is, the perfect game. To quote Paul Auster, "Baseball is a universe as large as life itself, and therefore all things in life, whether good or bad, whether tragic or comic, fall within its domain.”

I say ALLLL of that, to see this...Unless you were a fan of the Sox, did anyone else think the end of that last game was just sort of meh?

It was just kind of uneventful. I get that it was on the road. I'm saying it was kind of anticlimactic. Here we are, the Big 162. Go through the playoffs, then the series- and it was as exciting as watching paint dry. Okay, it wasn't that bad, but close.

Anyone else worried about baseball's issue with fans losing interest? I am.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:15:45 PM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline dparrott

« Reply #508 on: October 29, 2018, 11:37:16 PM »
It was as exciting as watching paint dry because the Dodgers were outmatched.  Can you say that last year's WS was that boring?  Maybe game 7, but not the rest of it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:17:22 AM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #509 on: October 30, 2018, 12:26:09 AM »
Well...that sucked.

Congrats to the Red Sox.  I wish the Dodgers had shown up to give the Sox a fight.

Just atrocious all the way around.  We get two decent starts from the pitching staff.  One goes to waste when our manager puts our closer in the game an inning too soon and he gives up a homer.  Surprise, surprise.  And then the manager pulls the next guy because of a misunderstanding and puts in two players who have no business being on a major league postseason roster (Alexander and Madson)?!  Are you kidding me?!  What a joke.

I've finally come around to "fire Dave Roberts" side.  Yes, he's just a pawn for the front office, but he has no ability to manage a pitching staff in-game.  The front office needs to go too, by the way.

Our catchers are awful.  Our supposed #1 catcher is a switch-hitter who shouldn't be and who has trouble catching the ball, and our #2 hitter can't hit the broad side of a barn at the plate.

Manny Machado is a joke, and our other big trade deadline acquisition (Brian Dozier) forgot how to hit when he got here.

When David friggin' Freese is the teams best player in the post-season, you've got serious problems.

On a more humorous note, I looked at the box score for the 18 inning game.  JBJ is listed as follows:  "CF-LF-CF-LF-CF-LF-CF."

All this talk about firing Roberts, but two WS in a row is no small feat.  Especially with the uphill climb it was this year.  Other teams are lucky just to be in one!

Yes on catching.  Barnes is a good backup, but Grandal has to go. 

I love CK, he helped get us here, I want to keep him, but he's a #4 postseason starter,   We got Beuhler, Urias, and Ryu, and may pick up someone in the winter.  Hill's getting too old. 

The Dodgers seem to get big players from other teams who somehow end up barely doing anything here.    Shane Victorino and Andruw Jones.  Yeesh.  Add Grandal and Machado and Dozier to that list.

"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #510 on: October 30, 2018, 10:38:23 AM »
It was as exciting as watching paint dry because the Dodgers were outmatched.  Can you say that last year's WS was that boring?  Maybe game 7, but not the rest of it.

Pretty much.  Dodgers didn't show up for game 7 last year or game 5 this year.  Game 7 last year was over after 2 innings.  I turned off game 5 this year after Martinez's homer that made it 4-1.  Last year's WS was exiting (other than game 7).  This year's was a big clunker pretty much right out of the gate, with game 3 being the only really compelling part of it.

All this talk about firing Roberts, but two WS in a row is no small feat.  Especially with the uphill climb it was this year.  Other teams are lucky just to be in one!

Yes on catching.  Barnes is a good backup, but Grandal has to go. 

I love CK, he helped get us here, I want to keep him, but he's a #4 postseason starter,   We got Beuhler, Urias, and Ryu, and may pick up someone in the winter.  Hill's getting too old. 

The Dodgers seem to get big players from other teams who somehow end up barely doing anything here.    Shane Victorino and Andruw Jones.  Yeesh.  Add Grandal and Machado and Dozier to that list.

I hear you about "two WS in a row is no small feat," but I feel like Roberts had little to do with the team making those two WS, but he had a lot to do with the team losing both of them.  The problem is that, if the front office remains in place, it doesn't much matter who the manager is, so if Friedman and Zaidi remain, then Roberts may as well stay also.

I could go on and on about Grandal.  I can't tell you how many times I watched him take pitches in the strike zone or that were too close to take with too strikes and then glare at or argue with the umpire.  He doesn't seem to know the strike zone very well.

I'm not sure where I am on Kershaw.  He's not the same player he was even two years ago, and he's got a losing record and a 4.32 ERA in the playoffs.  That said, he's still a well above average pitcher, and I like it when guys play their whole careers in one place.  If he decides not to opt out, that's fine.  If he does opt out, I think he will do so with at least the initial intent of giving the Dodgers a crack at re-signing him for more than two years.  However, he's not worth the $70M that he's due over the next two years, so I'm not sure what sort of contract he'd be willing to take that I'd be ok with as a fan.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung