San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals

Author Topic: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October  (Read 27609 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 20, 2018, 08:24:24 PM »
Taylor's catch followed by Puigs HR was horrible gut punch to say the least.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Dodgers vs. Red Sox
« Reply #421 on: October 21, 2018, 12:22:54 PM »
That was a great catch, but it would've been a lot easier had he taken the correct angle to the ball.

I was rooting for the Brewers!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #422 on: October 23, 2018, 10:12:12 AM »
Game 1 tonight!  Kershaw v. Sale!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #423 on: October 23, 2018, 10:24:54 AM »
Not sure how healthy Sale is.  Tonight we find out!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: October 23, 2018, 01:44:14 PM »
I'll watch from about 815 to 9pm EST. 

As always, I want to watch the game, but.....I have to work in the morning.  I'll look at the highlights then.  Also, I won't have to put up with A-roid and Pete Rosebettor afterwards, nor the 6-10 camera angle changes run by the squirrel director between every frickin pitch past the 5th inning.

And...'The Boys of Summer' will be playing in 45 degree weather....at least for tonight.  Nothing like seeing sky masks on the players.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #425 on: October 23, 2018, 02:57:37 PM »
I'm rooting for the infield dirt to trip up Machado so he does a face plant. Other than that, baseball resumes in February down in Tampa. Go Yankees! Work on that golf game boys.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: October 23, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
1st response is gold I tell ya! Gold!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #427 on: October 23, 2018, 08:03:26 PM »
Yeah, gender fluid Sigourney Weaver.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #428 on: October 23, 2018, 11:13:13 PM »
Fuck the Dodgers. That's my only sentiment in this one. It's Fuck the Dodgers-1, Dodgers-0 in this series so far.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: October 24, 2018, 05:46:57 AM »
1st response is gold I tell ya! Gold!

He looks more like Wormtongue!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #430 on: October 24, 2018, 06:39:32 AM »
Fuck the Dodgers. That's my only sentiment in this one. It's Fuck the Dodgers-1, Dodgers-0 in this series so far.

You'll be happy to hear I'm wearing my Giants t shirt I bought in SF for the series. ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #431 on: October 24, 2018, 07:44:09 AM »
I have to say that the Fox studio show is the worst thing in sports I've ever seen. The host blows, Ortiz acts like a complete jack ass, and A-Rob...does he f'n ever say anything? I wish he spent more time researching his data than he does in the makeup chair. He's useless.

I feel bad for Frank Thomas. I really do.

I must say, Pedro Martinez is excellent on MLB Network post game. Really insightful.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: October 24, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »
I don't watch the pre and post game coverage. I will say that I really enjoyed John Smoltz during the coverage. He was insightful and entertaining. Joe Buck has that classic baseball announcer voice but...I don't know...he sometimes rubs me the wrong way. Kevin Harlan would be so much more fun if Fox were to hire him.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #433 on: October 24, 2018, 08:29:49 AM »
I like John Smoltz. I have never had an issue with Joe Buck. He's fine. As long as I don't have to WATCH him speak.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: October 24, 2018, 09:21:07 AM »
No, that whole Fox analyst team sucks, INCLUDING Pedro.

A-Rod is a moron. I wish on the ESPN broadcasts, they'd just have the play-by-play guy and Jessica Mendoza do color commentary. She, IMO, is the best color analyst in the game. A-Roid just yaps to yap.

And go infield dirt, don't let me down game 2.

F Boston.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #435 on: October 24, 2018, 09:23:29 AM »
She, IMO, is the best color analyst in the game.

WUT?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: October 24, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
Never got the hate for Joe Buck. He does a good job both in baseball and football. He isn't the best, but I think he's far from the worst.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: October 24, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
She, IMO, is the best color analyst in the game.

WUT?

Yup. And its not because she is easy on the eyes. I think she really has a good feel for the game and enjoy her commentary.

p.s. regarding Joe Buck - he does get a bum rap. I think he's fine, honestly.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #438 on: October 24, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »
I can't think of too many play-by-play guys I don't like.  Joe Buck is good (although he got prematurely excited over a couple foul balls last night).  Based on highlights of Yankees games I have hear, I don't really care for their radio guy (John Sterling?).  Their TV guy (Michael Kay?) is pretty good.  Also really don't like the Indians PBP guy, but that's also only based on highlights I've seen/heard.

The analysts are another story.  I think Jessica Mendoza was really good in 2017.  However, with Alex Rodriguez replacing Aaron Boone, she's not nearly as good, and Rodriguez is just terrible.  Smoltz is the cream of the crop, and I thought Ron Darling was pretty good prior to this year when he started getting very preach with a "know it all" attitude.  I like pretty much all of the studio guys on MLB Network.  Pedro Martinez is really good.

GO DODGERS!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: October 24, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
I am a Yankees die hard - and I CANNOT STAND John Sterling, and that doofus Suzy Waldman. They are HORRIBLE. Sterling's calls are seriously stupid, and Waldman's insight is like getting baseball knowledge from a little leaguer.

SO. BAD.

p.s. agree that Mendoza was better in 2017. A-Roid's presence has made her timid to talk over him, and that's unfortunate. They need to punt A-Roid and just let her do her thing.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #440 on: October 24, 2018, 10:07:23 AM »
I am a Yankees die hard - and I CANNOT STAND John Sterling, and that doofus Suzy Waldman. They are HORRIBLE. Sterling's calls are seriously stupid, and Waldman's insight is like getting baseball knowledge from a little leaguer.

SO. BAD.

Sam, when you get a chance, you have to listen to this. The night time show on one of the two sports talk radio stations here is hosted by Adam Jones. He and his former co host, Rich Keefe, do a hilarious Sterling/Waldman impersonation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwLMEmwZEiA

This was lifted from the afternoon show discussing the impersonations from the night before. They did this all the time and it's hilarious.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #441 on: October 24, 2018, 06:03:18 PM »
Holy crap, could Joe Buck have more makeup on? He's not even 50 yet!
Serious question...is he healthy?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #442 on: October 24, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »
I don't watch a lot of baseball anymore, but Smoltz is fantastic as a color commentator. Very informative, never comes off as condescending, and really dives into the psychology of the game.

I was iffy on Joe Buck for a long time, largely because his calls were too bland (he would call a walkoff HR with the same tone that he would a groundout in the top of the 2nd), but he has gotten a lot better in recent years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #443 on: October 24, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »
Worked again!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #444 on: October 24, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »
Dave Roberts is the embedded Red Sox.

His moves are...curious.

I've watched a ton of Dodgers games late at night. Righty or lefty, how are Bellinger and Pederson not everyday players?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #445 on: October 25, 2018, 10:04:18 AM »
Dave Roberts is the embedded Red Sox.

His moves are...curious.

I've watched a ton of Dodgers games late at night. Righty or lefty, how are Bellinger and Pederson not everyday players?

Seems to be a different lineup every day, without apparent rhyme or reason, and it is probably the single biggest bone of contention that Dodger fans have with current management (both Roberts and the front office).  For a while, both Bellinger and Pederson were in the lineup every day, but now not so much.

I had a friend comment on Facebook last night -- in frustration -- that the Dodgers had 100 home runs on the bench (Bellinger, Muncy, Grandal and Pederson).  While that's true (those four players had a combined 109 homers), they had only 19 homers and hit a combined .221 against lefties (as opposed to 90 homers and .264 against righties).  Grandal (who, IMO, should not be switch hitting) and Pederson are particularly bad against lefties (combined 5 homers and .194 BA).

The problem is that, except for Turner and Machado, guys never get in a rhythm and don't get the opportunity to play their way through slumps.  Turner and Machado are the only guys who pretty much play every day, and I think the natives are getting restless.  I'm not sure what the 2019 Dodgers will look like, but I suspect the 2020 Dodgers will look almost nothing like the 2018 version.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #446 on: October 25, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »
It's gonna take a f'n miracle now. 4 out of 5.  Unlikely but not impossible. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #447 on: October 26, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »
It's gonna take a f'n miracle now. 4 out of 5.  Unlikely but not impossible.

Yep...they did it in 1981, but this Red Sox team is way better than the 1981 Yankees.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #448 on: October 26, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »
Having to play the next 3 under NL rules will be a big equalizer for LA.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #449 on: October 26, 2018, 06:09:12 PM »
Having to play the next 3 under NL rules will be a big equalizer for LA.

Rick Porcello went 3 for 7 with 2 doubles this year! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: October 26, 2018, 07:43:32 PM »
I'm surprised Porcello is coming out.  Weird move by Cora

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #451 on: October 26, 2018, 07:44:56 PM »
Pederson took him deep earlier. The move to E-Rod is appropriate.

I'm still amazed Pederson didn't start the first two games. Same for Bellinger.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #452 on: October 26, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »
This kid is pitching an incredible game.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: October 26, 2018, 11:18:53 PM »
Gutsy performance by Nunez.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #454 on: October 27, 2018, 01:17:55 AM »
Anyone on the east coast still watching this game?!  This is insane!