San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals

Author Topic: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October  (Read 27637 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #350 on: October 16, 2018, 07:31:15 AM »
I dunno what's with Dodger hitters turning ice cold in the playoffs.  They could have won the WS last year if they hadn't stopped hitting in game 7.   Some of them have terrible plate discipline.

maybe the other teams pitching is pretty good.  ;)
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #351 on: October 16, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
I dunno what's with Dodger hitters turning ice cold in the playoffs.  They could have won the WS last year if they hadn't stopped hitting in game 7.   Some of them have terrible plate discipline.

It's as though every bad tendency they have comes together in the playoffs.  Puig has shown incredible plate discipline the last two regular seasons, but he flails at the sliders away during the postseason.  Bellinger and Grandal are strikeout or homer every at-bat.  At least Bellinger can occasionally hit a ball the other way or lay down a bunt (as Yelich did yesterday).  Grandal doesn't grasp the concept of "just make contact, and he seems to have a terrible understanding of the strike zone as a hitter.  I can't tell you how many call third strikes I saw him take where he argued with the umpire about pitches that were unquestionably strikes.

Add to that the fact that Grandal is a catcher who can't seem to catch the baseball, and I am so done with him.

Dodgers have struck out 32 times in the 3 games in this series -- 27 strikeouts in the two games they lost.  They're hitting .235 in the series.  Amazingly, their batting average with RISP is actually better (4 for 20), but they were 0 for 10 last night.

maybe the other teams pitching is pretty good.  ;)

I'd say it's more of a matter of the other team's manager and pitching coach understanding how to exploit the Dodgers' weaknesses.  Smart managers and coaches figure this stuff out, and the Dodgers have had a terrible tendency over the past couple years to make scrubs (no offense, but how else can you describe Jhoulys Chacin) look like Cy Young Award winners.  Plus, the Dodgers supposed strength -- starting pitching -- has let the team down.

I'm not usually one to say fire the manager, but I kinda think it's time.  The approach that Roberts, Honeycutt and Ward have used just isn't working, and guys like Craig Counsell, AJ Hinch and Alex Cora can coach circles around them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #352 on: October 16, 2018, 03:48:25 PM »
Nunez sucks. Cora needs to play Devers and Holt every game.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #353 on: October 16, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
Nunez sucks. Cora needs to play Devers and Holt every game.

I wouldn't say Nunez sucks, but I agree that Devers and Holt should definitely be playing, at least against righties. Kinsler has killed them at the plate.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #354 on: October 16, 2018, 05:12:45 PM »
I take that back  :facepalm:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #355 on: October 16, 2018, 05:17:57 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #356 on: October 16, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »
J-B-J
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: October 16, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
Holy Toledo!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #358 on: October 16, 2018, 07:36:17 PM »
Is there a nicer guy in sports than Jim Thome?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #359 on: October 17, 2018, 12:15:06 AM »
this Brewers/Dodgers game is something else.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #360 on: October 17, 2018, 10:33:08 AM »
this Brewers/Dodgers game is something else.

If by "something else," you mean a demonstration of everything wrong with today's players' approach to hitting, I agree.  The two teams were a combined 15 for 90 at the plate (.167).  And I don't for a minute buy into the narrative that it was just great work by the two bullpens.  This is one of those "a win's a win" type games.

And, by the way, I don't think what Machado did at first base was dirty, but it sure as heck was douchy.  I really hope the Dodgers don't sign him in the off season.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #361 on: October 17, 2018, 06:09:12 PM »
Well, well, well....look what team finally figured out how to hit with runners on base!

GO DODGERS!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #362 on: October 17, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »
Well, well, well....look what team finally figured out how to hit with runners on base!

GO DODGERS!

Brewers bats are cold.  They had a golden opportunity in the third and got nothing.  hopefully home cooking brings two wins!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: October 17, 2018, 07:03:24 PM »
Fan interference or not DTF?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #364 on: October 17, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »
Need side angle to determine.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #365 on: October 17, 2018, 07:14:02 PM »
Horrendous call.  The fan did not reach into the field of play, therefore it should not have been interference. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #366 on: October 17, 2018, 07:16:44 PM »
Horrendous call.  The fan did not reach into the field of play, therefore it should not have been interference.

I didn't even need to click the thread to know your response.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: October 17, 2018, 07:16:58 PM »
With these great fields they build these days we are bound to get these tough calls. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #368 on: October 17, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
Even if his glove is technically over the yellow line, the fan still cannot swat his glove away from the ball.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: October 17, 2018, 07:22:46 PM »
This is too close to call really.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #370 on: October 17, 2018, 07:46:07 PM »
What the heck is JD doing?? Took 2 fastballs right down the middle. He’s been cold this postseason.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #371 on: October 17, 2018, 08:19:17 PM »

I didn't even need to click the thread to know your response.

Makes sense, since you know I call it like I see it and the way it is. :tup :tup

Even if his glove is technically over the yellow line, the fan still cannot swat his glove away from the ball.

Okay, but considering the fan did not do that, what does that have to do with this particular play?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #372 on: October 17, 2018, 08:24:45 PM »
Apparently Kev did some modeling when he was in college. I found an old catalog pic:

Offline dparrott

« Reply #373 on: October 17, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »

GO DODGERS!

And look who's star pitcher is back to his old self!  I feel good about this series now. 

Re: the Machado incident....yes he shouldn't have dragged his foot, but in a normal throw to first, the first baseman's FOOT WOULD NOT BE THERE TO KICK, DUMBASS!   >:(   Step on the bag, catch the ball, walk away.  Aguilar DELIBERATELY stood there!  They're both at fault imo. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #374 on: October 18, 2018, 04:57:06 AM »
Kershaw now holds the record for most postseason starts of at least 7 innings and 3 or fewer hits . . .

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: October 18, 2018, 05:29:23 AM »

Was there fan interference?  Yes.....but not in the field of play.  So it should have been a HR.  But, I'm sure Joe West got his stupid two cents in.....

People in Baltimore will now have to watch this play again a couple of times over the next couple of days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVNlvnsQ828
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #376 on: October 18, 2018, 05:42:23 AM »
Orioles got so screwed on that.

Astros...not so much.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #377 on: October 18, 2018, 06:12:03 AM »
Bummer for MLB that the Red Sox won that game.  Had the Astros won it, it would have been an afterthought that didn't have any real impact on the outcome of the series.  Now, it is tainted.  Not a good look for baseball.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: October 18, 2018, 06:23:48 AM »
You really think that Kev or are you just pulling TAC and King's weenie? As a non partisan sports watcher, I think they got the call right. King's photo above illustrates how close it really was...and the fan's need to let the players play.

A really fun game to watch.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #379 on: October 18, 2018, 06:36:54 AM »
For Kev, I'm sure it's both.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #380 on: October 18, 2018, 06:59:30 AM »
This is too close to call really.

I agree. It is too close to call.

Mookie's body is still a foot away from the wall. I mean, the fan's fands are in front of Mookie. They are both extending. If Mookie is clearly in the fan's space, then the fans are clearly in Mookie's space. These fans are not sitting back. They are reaching forward.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #381 on: October 18, 2018, 07:13:45 AM »
Starting Price on short rest is not a good idea.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: October 18, 2018, 08:12:11 AM »
Starting Price on short rest is not a good idea.

Up 3-1 it's really their only choice.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #383 on: October 18, 2018, 08:55:07 AM »
No way can Cora trust Kimbrel anymore.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #384 on: October 18, 2018, 09:49:30 AM »
Fan interference or not DTF?

Seemed pretty clear to me that one or more of the fans reached over the wall and made contact with the outfielder's glove before the ball came down.  It would really be nice if folks who are fortunate enough to have front row seats on the field level would learn the rules.

By the way, Alex "Prime Time" Bregman is hitting .182 in this series.