San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals

Author Topic: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October  (Read 27608 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #245 on: October 03, 2018, 09:39:04 AM »
LET'S GO OAKLAND!!!! *clap clap clapclapclap*

I have to say.. for tonight's game... I agree.

Gotta go with the lesser of the evils.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #246 on: October 03, 2018, 11:16:17 AM »
That was a pretty great game last night!  I'm not sure the Rockies staff has ever pitched that well.

I only wish Arenado hadn't "submitted" to Baez's hug and had made an effort to throw out Contreras at first.  Couldn't make much of a case for interference by Baez when Arenado basically acquiesced to the on-field bro hug.

I'm still worried about the prospect of a Dodgers v. Rockies NLCS and the Dodgers having to go with a 24-man roster for the games in Denver if Jansen can't play in those games.

Tonight:  go A's!

I am old enough to remember that Game 1 of the World Series would have been starting tonight in the 60s, and then BOTH LCS starting on this date starting in '69.  Great baseball weather.   Now, it won't be until October 12th before the NLCS starts, the 23rd for the WS.  By that time, my interest will have greatly diminished. 

My first recollection of watching baseball is watching the 1974 WS with my father.  I first really followed baseball in 1975.  We used to get the afternoon edition of the local newspaper, and I remember that the first thing I'd do when I got home was check the baseball scores and standings -- ultimately to see how many games the Reds were going to win.  I remember kids sneaking transistor radios in school and word getting out at lunch about LCS scores.

The extra round(s) of playoffs push back the start date of the WS.  I don't so much have a problem with that as I do the start times of games.  Doesn't affect me too much on the west coast, but I have to wonder when the last time a kid under the age of 12 in the eastern time zone saw the end of an LCS or WS game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: October 03, 2018, 12:11:38 PM »
"Sources" have Joe Maddon coming back next year for the Cubs.
"Sources" have the Buck stopping in Baltimore.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #248 on: October 03, 2018, 01:54:35 PM »
"Sources" have Joe Maddon coming back next year for the Cubs.

Unless he decides to retire, why wouldn't he come back?  It would be absurd to replace him.  In the four years that Maddon has managed them, the Cubs have averaged nearly 97 wins per seasons, which is the best run in team history since the team averaged 106 wins from 1906-1910.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #249 on: October 03, 2018, 03:01:04 PM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: October 03, 2018, 07:19:58 PM »

I am old enough to remember that Game 1 of the World Series would have been starting tonight in the 60s, and then BOTH LCS starting on this date starting in '69.  Great baseball weather.   Now, it won't be until October 12th before the NLCS starts, the 23rd for the WS.  By that time, my interest will have greatly diminished. 

My first recollection of watching baseball is watching the 1974 WS with my father.  I first really followed baseball in 1975.  We used to get the afternoon edition of the local newspaper, and I remember that the first thing I'd do when I got home was check the baseball scores and standings -- ultimately to see how many games the Reds were going to win.  I remember kids sneaking transistor radios in school and word getting out at lunch about LCS scores.

The extra round(s) of playoffs push back the start date of the WS.  I don't so much have a problem with that as I do the start times of games.  Doesn't affect me too much on the west coast, but I have to wonder when the last time a kid under the age of 12 in the eastern time zone saw the end of an LCS or WS game.

Cool story about the Reds.  I recall falling asleep late in the top of the 10th inning in the '75 WS Game 6 (the Fisk HR 'walk off'), waking up to snow on the screen (remember that, guys?), and heading to bed having to wait until I woke up to go to school to find out who won.

(When the Tigers won in '68, the nuns were nice enough to have the TV on with the volume muted.  Instead of taking the bus when school let out on the days of Game 6 and 7, I walked to my Grandma's to see the last couple of innings).

Last night....obviously I couldn't stay up for 13 innings.  As is, I checked in at times, but the start of the 8th of a 1-1 tie didn't start until around 1050 pm EST.  I wish they'd start the night games at 715.....so what if some on the West Coast miss the beginning, look how many out here miss the end.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: October 03, 2018, 07:45:02 PM »
waking up to snow on the screen (remember that, guys?)

I remember that. The snow was preceded by the National Anthem. An amazing experience that our young friends will never get to experience.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #252 on: October 03, 2018, 07:53:45 PM »
Damn, the A's have had their chances.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #254 on: October 04, 2018, 05:15:06 AM »
ALL RISE!
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #255 on: October 04, 2018, 10:52:53 AM »

Cool story about the Reds.  I recall falling asleep late in the top of the 10th inning in the '75 WS Game 6 (the Fisk HR 'walk off'), waking up to snow on the screen (remember that, guys?), and heading to bed having to wait until I woke up to go to school to find out who won.

That's painful!  Being on the west coast all my life, we get the benefit of being able to stay awake for just about all of these games.  Whenever I travel to the east coast and have to deal with Dodgers and Kings games starting at 10-10:30 eastern time, I become very thankful that my wife's and my plan to move to the east coast a while back never panned out.

Last night....obviously I couldn't stay up for 13 innings.  As is, I checked in at times, but the start of the 8th of a 1-1 tie didn't start until around 1050 pm EST.  I wish they'd start the night games at 715.....so what if some on the West Coast miss the beginning, look how many out here miss the end.

YES!  I'd much rather miss an inning or two at the start of the game than the end of it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #256 on: October 04, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »
Ryan Braun WTF?? :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #257 on: October 04, 2018, 04:32:12 PM »
Ryan Braun is a 1st Class A-Hole.  He alone makes rooting for the Brewers difficult.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: October 04, 2018, 06:34:39 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, he makes rooting for them impossible.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #259 on: October 04, 2018, 06:45:45 PM »
this is making me age faster than I need to.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline T-ski

« Reply #260 on: October 04, 2018, 07:18:13 PM »
MOOSE!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #261 on: October 05, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »
Ryan Braun WTF?? :facepalm:

Que???

Dodgers fired on all cylinders last night!  Ryu was lights out.  Braves couldn't touch him.  Joc Pederson with ANOTHER leadoff homer.  Max "Who the Fuck Is This Guy" Muncy with a 3-run jack (after 35 in the regular season).  And Kiké Hernandez piled on with a solo shot.  And we get Clayton Kershaw on the mound tonight and Walker Buehler on Sunday.

Four games today....unfortunately, I probably won't get to watch any of them.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: October 05, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »
Four games today....unfortunately, I probably won't get to watch any of them.

That was my situation for the past two years because we basically 'cut the cord' to save around $120 a month in cable fees.  This past summer we worked some things out, so that we have more stations at ten bucks less than we were paying then. 

Sadly, ESPN, TNT, TBS, FS1 and MLB are not on basic cable programming anymore.  None of these are available to many of those who are baseball fans (ie., the elderly, who have more important needs to spend their limited funds on).  Hell, the local Balto CBS station, who carried the O's since Day One in '54, no longer carry games on air (they were down to only 20 the past few seasons).  FOX only carries a handful of Saturday regional games.  I chuckle at the commissioner talking about getting more inner city youths involved in baseball, when most don't have access to any games at all. 

They could fix some of this by carrying games on the extra over the air stations.  That wouldn't interfere with regular network programming.  Then all you need is an indoor antennae, and a digital converter box that costs about five bucks. 

That said, it was nice to tune in for an inning or two and watch the master Verlander pitch in blue and orange (oops, those are Astros, and not Tiger uniforms).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #263 on: October 05, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »
Brewers pitching on full display so far. Hopefully the steal one in Colorado.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #264 on: October 06, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »
Dodgers should handle game 3 nicely.  Bring on round 2! 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #265 on: October 06, 2018, 07:05:54 PM »
David Price...yoooooouuuuuuuu suuuuuucccckkkkk!

GTFO!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #266 on: October 06, 2018, 07:32:07 PM »
Not worth the PRICE Boston paid him

Joe Kelly putting on a clinic though

Offline pg1067

« Reply #267 on: October 06, 2018, 07:36:07 PM »
Dodgers should handle game 3 nicely.  Bring on round 2!

I didn't think Kershaw could top what Ryu did in game 1.  That was impressive!  And nice to see Jansen pitch a clean inning (other than the harmless single).

I'm starting to hate the Astros the same way I hated the Braves and Yankees in the 90s/early 2000s.

Price was BAD!  They made the right decision to pull him early.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #268 on: October 06, 2018, 07:43:16 PM »
Not worth the PRICE Boston paid him

Joe Kelly putting on a clinic though

Kelly practically pitched his way OFF the playoff roster. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #269 on: October 06, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
David Price...yoooooouuuuuuuu suuuuuucccckkkkk!

GTFO!

Yup, SHOCKED he got knocked out in the 2nd inning  ::) Only thing more sure than Price choking is the sun coming up.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #270 on: October 06, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »
A friend bet the over in tonight's game simply because Price was pitching and he was counting on a lot of runs. He was bummed that he was pulled so early. :lol

Over/Under is 9, so he needs one more run for a push and two more for the win (6-2 in top of the 8th).

Offline T-ski

« Reply #271 on: October 07, 2018, 06:06:45 PM »
Brewers with the...

Offline romdrums

« Reply #272 on: October 08, 2018, 07:46:12 AM »
Is there room on the Brewers' bandwagon?  The Tribe's season is going to end today and I want to get in before it gets too crowded.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #273 on: October 08, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »
Damn, Clevinger unraveling in real time.  Ugh.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #274 on: October 08, 2018, 12:51:42 PM »
Buehler had one bad inning, and it killed the possibility of a sweep for the Dodgers.  Need to finish the job tonight, and then we'll see what Roberts does with the pitching staff.  Brewers will get games 1 and 2 in Milwaukee, so Dave may pitch Kershaw and Buehler in games 1 and 2 (Friday and Saturday) and hold Ryu until game 3 at Dodger Stadium (next Monday).  If we have to play a game 5 against the Braves on Wednesday, then that limits our options.  Rich Hill needs to step up tonight, and our batters need to figure out how to get runs home when we have someone on second with no outs.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #275 on: October 08, 2018, 01:36:03 PM »
I may have spoken too soon.  Frankie Lindor coming through!!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #276 on: October 08, 2018, 02:55:36 PM »
Is there room on the Brewers' bandwagon?  The Tribe's season is going to end today and I want to get in before it gets too crowded.

I rooted for the Tribe against the Cubs, so yes, feel free to jump on if necessary.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #277 on: October 08, 2018, 02:56:14 PM »
Buehler had one bad inning, and it killed the possibility of a sweep for the Dodgers.  Need to finish the job tonight, and then we'll see what Roberts does with the pitching staff.  Brewers will get games 1 and 2 in Milwaukee, so Dave may pitch Kershaw and Buehler in games 1 and 2 (Friday and Saturday) and hold Ryu until game 3 at Dodger Stadium (next Monday).  If we have to play a game 5 against the Braves on Wednesday, then that limits our options.  Rich Hill needs to step up tonight, and our batters need to figure out how to get runs home when we have someone on second with no outs.

I hope it goes 5.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #278 on: October 08, 2018, 03:13:45 PM »
Put a fork in the Indians. They are done.  Francona galaxy brained himself with the bullpen AGAIN.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #279 on: October 08, 2018, 03:37:52 PM »
You know, I really think the Astros are going to repeat.