San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals

Author Topic: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October  (Read 27605 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2018, 08:35:28 AM »

Brewers close within 1 game.  Yelich for MVP.

I've felt this way for a few weeks. He's been amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2018, 10:28:51 AM »
Brewers inching closer to the Cubs.  I'd feel a lot better avoiding the crap shoot that is the one game playoff.

Nice.  Unfortunately, the Cubs have a game in hand, and the Brewers are two back in the loss column.

Brewers close within 1 game.  Yelich for MVP.

Actually only 0.5 games back (even in the win column and a game back in the loss column).  Brewers have one more at STL today and then tomorrow off, while the Cubs have two more against PIT.  Cubs finish with three games against their rival, STL, with both teams fighting for playoff positioning, while the Brewers finish with three at home against the 93-loss Tigers.  If the Brewers take care of their own business, I think they have a great shot at winning the division.  That could set up a Cubs v. Cards wild card game, which would be pretty cool, but the Cards are currently out of the playoffs (half a game behind the Rockies).

Dodgers gagged away last night's games against Arizona, so they're only half a game up on the Rockies, with the Rockies having a game in hand.

Whoever wins the NL Central will probably have the best record in the NL and will really be sitting pretty if some of the crazy tiebreaker scenarios come into play between the Dodgers, Rockies and Cards.

Over in the AL, the Yankees won and the A's lost yesterday, so the A's are now 2.5 games back in the race to host the wild card game.  The A's finish with one game against Seattle and three in Anaheim, while the Yankees have two more against the Rays and three at Boston.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »
David Price getting himself into post-season form. Rather have Lowe or Wakefield, they still in shape?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2018, 02:24:49 PM »
David Price getting himself into post-season form. 

He's not going to get out of the 3rd inning against the Yankees.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2018, 07:45:20 AM »
I'm kinda hoping that the Brewers and Rockies win their respective divisions and the Dodgers and Cubs end up in the wildcard game.  Also, the ALDS matchup between the Indians and Astros should be a K fest with those two pitching staffs.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2018, 10:53:19 AM »
I'm kinda hoping that the Brewers and Rockies win their respective divisions and the Dodgers and Cubs end up in the wildcard game.  Also, the ALDS matchup between the Indians and Astros should be a K fest with those two pitching staffs.

Well...you may get your wish.  The Dodgers just pissed away 2 of 3 against the D-Backs, so the Rockies are now a half game up with a game in hand (same with the Cubs in the Central).  Cards are still in the mix -- a game back of the Dodgers for the second wild card.

Dodgers are off today, and the Phillies host the Rockies this afternoon, so they'll either be even with the Dodgers or a game up by the end of the day.  The Cubs will also clear their game in hand at home against the Pirates.

The A's are now only 1.5 behind the Yankees in the AL wild card race.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline dparrott

« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2018, 09:49:54 PM »
6 postseasons in a row for the Dodgers!!!  Maybe 6 NL West titles in a row tomorrow!!!  :metal :metal :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2018, 10:40:38 PM »
NL Central and West could both have playoff games on Monday.

Crazy.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2018, 07:00:53 AM »

Crazy.

Which is stupid.  Let's say one of the divisions has to have a playoff game to decide the division title.  The loser of that game then goes to the wild card game at a serious disadvantage, likely having had to use the starter they would have used in the wild card had they not tied for 1st place in the division.

There should be tiebreakers set in the place without the teams having to play an extra game at the end of the season.

But that's MLB for ya. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »
Agreed. What's the point of a 162 game season if it needs extra games to break ties?

We have two of these games tomorrow.

Normally I'd root for a team like Milwaukee..but I hope they never win anything as long as that clown Braun is still on the team.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #220 on: October 01, 2018, 06:05:22 AM »
It was really fun to have the playoff game back before there were two wildcard teams. A one and done game is pretty exciting. But now that's built in with the wildcard game, so I agree. Just go with head to head record to decide which team has the tiebreaker, with division record being the backup to that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #221 on: October 01, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »

Crazy.

Which is stupid.  Let's say one of the divisions has to have a playoff game to decide the division title.  The loser of that game then goes to the wild card game at a serious disadvantage, likely having had to use the starter they would have used in the wild card had they not tied for 1st place in the division.

There should be tiebreakers set in the place without the teams having to play an extra game at the end of the season.

But that's MLB for ya.

Well...it'll even out since both the Dodgers/Rockies and Cubs/Brewers have to do the tiebreaker.  It's sort of a college baseball-type double elimination thing.  The two winners today move to the divisional series, and the two losers play each other in the wild card game.  But I was thinking about this yesterday.  In a situation where the loser will make the wild card game, I agree that they should just use head-to-head record to determine the division winner.  However, if it were a situation where the loser doesn't make the playoffs at all, I'm not sure I'd be happy with using a tiebreaker to determine the division winner.  Of course, I'm also an advocate for shrinking the regular season down to 144 games (+/-), which would make having an extra game more palatable.

I do wish they'd reschedule the NL wild card game to Wednesday.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #222 on: October 01, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
Also, Christian Yelich being clutch for the Brewers AGAIN.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #223 on: October 01, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »
Cubs offense laying an egg so far....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #224 on: October 01, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »
Damn, if I wasn't watching it on TV, you'd think they were playing this game in Milwaukee judging by the crowd.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #225 on: October 01, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »
I haven't seen many Cubs game this year, but their bullpen looks pretty shaky.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if the loser of the NL West game today wins the wild card game tomorrow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #226 on: October 01, 2018, 02:01:48 PM »
I have no issue watching the Cubs lose, but I will always root for Jon Lester.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #227 on: October 01, 2018, 02:13:01 PM »
Holy shit, I thought Rizzo won the game with that swing.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2018, 02:30:41 PM »
awwww yeah!!!!!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2018, 03:47:43 PM »
I don't really have any good reason for it, but I really dislike Lester, and it frustrates me no end when teams don't take advantage of his recalcitrance to pick off.

In other news, Walker Buehler is no-hitting the Rockies on 69 pitches through 5 innings!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #230 on: October 01, 2018, 04:39:13 PM »
In other news, Walker Buehler is no-hitting the Rockies on 69 pitches through 5 innings!

Dave Roberts pulls Buehler after 6 2/3 IP (93 pitches) after giving up a harmless single in the 6th and a walk in the 7th.  Buehler even drove in a run!  Middle of the 7th, and the Dodgers are up 5-0.

I haven't been a huge fan of how Dave Roberts has handled the Dodgers' pitchers and lineup, and I questioned whether starting Buehler today was the right move.  But I now think it's working out very well.  Not to get ahead of things, but it's now shaping up that we'll be able to start the NLDS (at home) on Thursday with Clayton Kershaw on normal rest, followed by Hyun Jin Ryu in game 2 and Buehler and Hill in games 3 and 4 (or vice versa).  I don't have a ton of insight into the Braves, but I do feel pretty good about drawing them in the NLDS.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #231 on: October 01, 2018, 05:39:21 PM »
Yeesh....does any playoff team this year feel less secure about its closer than the Dodgers?!  Took a 5-0 lead into the 9th and brought in Kenley Jansen even though he has historically performed poorly in non-save situations, and he proceeds to give up back-to-back solo homers to Arenado and Story before getting the next three batters on a groundout and two strikeouts.

So that sets up the final playoff pairings:

Rockies at Cubs in the NL wild card game tomorrow.
A's at Yankees in the AL wild card game Wednesday
Braves at Dodgers in the NLDS starting on Thursday
Rockies/Cubs at Brewers in the NLDS starting on Thursday
Indians at Astros in the ALDS starting on Friday
A's/Yankees at Red Sox in the ALDS starting on Friday

Four games on Friday and four on Monday!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #232 on: October 01, 2018, 09:05:13 PM »
Yeesh....does any playoff team this year feel less secure about its closer than the Dodgers?!  Took a 5-0 lead into the 9th and brought in Kenley Jansen even though he has historically performed poorly in non-save situations, and he proceeds to give up back-to-back solo homers to Arenado and Story before getting the next three batters on a groundout and two strikeouts.

Yea it's gonna be scary for sure.  But WB is ready for the big time.  We're watching our future ace become a man!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #233 on: October 02, 2018, 11:13:04 AM »

Yea it's gonna be scary for sure.  But WB is ready for the big time.  We're watching our future ace become a man!

For sure, and that's the best thing to come out of this season.

The only bummer is that we probably won't get to see Kershaw and Buehler in sort of a 1A and 1B ace situation (whether that's because Kershaw isn't what he used to be or because he walks after this year).

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: October 02, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »
The order of who I'll be casually rooting for:

1. Oakland
2. Cleveland
3. Colorado
4. Houston
5. Chicago

Who I think Will win....

Chicago beats Colorado
NY beats Oakland
Atlanta beats LA
Milwaukee beats Chicago
Cleveland beats Houston
Boston beats NY

Milwaukee beats Atlanta
Boston beats Cleveland

Boston beats Milwaukee

Offline pg1067

« Reply #235 on: October 02, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »
The order of who I'll be casually rooting for:

1. Oakland
2. Cleveland
3. Colorado
4. Houston
5. Chicago

Who I think Will win....

Chicago beats Colorado
NY beats Oakland
Atlanta beats LA
Milwaukee beats Chicago
Cleveland beats Houston
Boston beats NY

Milwaukee beats Atlanta
Boston beats Cleveland

Boston beats Milwaukee

I know I'm biased, but I think that the DS series most likely to go by way of a sweep is Dodgers over Braves.  The Dodgers bats have been getting hot, and the Braves starting pitching is, on the whole, mediocre.  And, for a change, the Dodgers enter the postseason on a roll and having been playing playoff type games for the past couple weeks.  Despite Kershaw's well-publicized postseason struggles, he's at his best at Dodger Stadium, and Hyun-Jin Ryu has been one of the best pitchers in the NL since coming off the disabled list and is lights out at home.  I have a feeling games 1 and 2 at Dodger Stadium won't be close, and Walker Buehler may well pitch a shutout in game 3 in ATL.

I too am rooting for the A's over the Yankees, but you're probably right that the Yankees will win that game.  I'm with you on all of the other series, with the possible exception of Cleveland and Houston -- I'm just not sure about that one since I don't know enough about Cleveland this year and how Houston has been playing.

Here are the picks of 27 so-called experts at ESPN:  https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24821394/expert-picks-2018-mlb-postseason

Offline romdrums

« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2018, 12:06:29 PM »
How I hope it goes:

AL WC: A's over Yankees
ALDS: Indians over Astros in 4, Red Sox over A's in 4.
ALCS: Indians over Red Sox in 6.

NL WC: Rockies over Cubs
NLDS: Dodgers over Braves in 3, Brewers over Rockies in 6.
NLCS: Dodgers over Brewers in 7.

WS: Indians over Dodgers in 6.

How it will likely go:
AL WC: Yankees over A's
ALDS: Astros over Indians in 5, Red Sox over Yankees in 5
ALCS: Astros over Red Sox in 6

NL WC: Cubs over Rockies
NLDS: Cubs over Brewers in 5, Dodgers over Braves in 4
NLCS: Cubs over Dodgers in 7

WS: Astros over Cubs in 7.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
I think the WS winner is in the American League.  All of the teams have some sort of team or league record, whether the Yankees setting the team home run record, the Indians having four starters over 200 K's, or the Astros sporting the best run differential and the most strike outs by a pitching staff, the Red Sox setting a new franchise record for wins.  The AL is going to be a blood bath.  The NL teams all have some sort of flaw that, unless one of them catches lightning in a bottle, I don't see any of those teams beating whoever comes out of the American League.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2018, 12:52:00 PM »

Who I think Will win....

Cleveland beats Houston
Boston beats NY

Boston beats Cleveland

Boston beats Milwaukee

That's be great! Honestly I'd love to see Francona win a WS, but no one is beating Houston.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: October 02, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
I am old enough to remember that Game 1 of the World Series would have been starting tonight in the 60s, and then BOTH LCS starting on this date starting in '69.  Great baseball weather.   Now, it won't be until October 12th before the NLCS starts, the 23rd for the WS.  By that time, my interest will have greatly diminished. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: October 02, 2018, 11:11:25 PM »
And the Cubs are out. Rock on!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: October 03, 2018, 07:02:08 AM »
Best case scenario..

Cubs lose, and Lester pitches great.

I wish it were set up so that the Rockies and Brewers could meet in the NLCS.

The Dodgers are going to roll the Braves.

The A's are throwing a f'n Bullpen Game tonight! I don't know whether to  :lol, :clap:, or  :facepalm:

Offline T-ski

« Reply #242 on: October 03, 2018, 07:20:43 AM »
the Cubs having to watch another team celebrate on their field in back to back games was glorious.

go Brewers!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #243 on: October 03, 2018, 08:22:36 AM »
the Cubs having to watch another team celebrate on their field in back to back games was glorious.

go Brewers!

Indeed.  May the Brewers and Indians meet in the WS and wreck MLB's post-season dreams.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #244 on: October 03, 2018, 08:31:11 AM »
LET'S GO OAKLAND!!!! *clap clap clapclapclap*