San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals

Author Topic: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October  (Read 27611 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2018, 09:56:00 AM »
Can the Yankees stop sucking please? Someone needs to shut down Steven Pearce.  :lol

BTW - Severino with five or six bad starts in a row...that's odd. I wonder if he is hiding an injury. That's a long slump for a pitcher that has been as dominant as he had been.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2018, 01:34:35 PM »
Sam, obviously we keep a close eye on the Yankees here. What's been mind boggling are the defensive breakdowns, the fundamental mistakes, and the lack of hustle.

What's been priceless is that Joe Girardi has been working at night on MLB Network after these games. That guy truly got the best out of that team over the last 5 years. Boone seems to have no control over this team. Wasn't one of the coaches yelling at a few players in the dugout a few days ago?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »
I think the most underrated and underappreciated player in the league might be Brett Gardiner.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2018, 10:06:44 AM »
I don't post here because baseball bores me and I don't really follow it.  I am a VERY casual "Giants fan," I guess.  But I don't really follow the sport enough to really consider myself a serious fan of any team.

That said, going to games can be really enjoyable.  I was in the Midwest this past week, and had the opportunity to see the Cards play the Cubs in St. Louis, and it was a blast.  There's just something about being at a MLB baseball game that is unlike anything else.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2018, 11:59:51 AM »
Can the Yankees stop sucking please?

I certainly hope not.

Deadspin apparently published an article this morning proclaiming the Sox as the AL East champs.  My wife -- a Boston sports fan, but a casual Sox fan at best -- texted me about it and thought it was literal (she didn't actually read the article).  I had to point out to her that, while the Sox have a 9.5 game lead, which will be tough for anyone to overcome, there are still 49/50 games left in the season for the Yankees and Sox, so nothing's even close to being decided.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »
1978 anyone?  And, as Dennis Leary would say, "Bucky F*cking Dent".

'nuff said

(I still remember seeing that whole game with some college buddies at a campus bar whilst skipping class)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2018, 02:03:22 PM »
The Cubs/Padres just played a 4 game set with an umpire crew consisting of both CB Bucknor and Angel Hernandez. The strikezone over the weekend was a disaster thanks to those 2 consecutively behind the plate.

I really don't know what else to say about that. It was an event watching both trend on Twitter Saturday and Sunday due to their complete awfulness.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »
The Cubs/Padres just played a 4 game set with an umpire crew consisting of both CB Bucknor and Angel Hernandez. The strikezone over the weekend was a disaster thanks to those 2 consecutively behind the plate.

I really don't know what else to say about that. It was an event watching both trend on Twitter Saturday and Sunday due to their complete awfulness.

I really don't understand how guys like that still have jobs.  Why does the umpires union want to protect demonstrably bad umpires who are bad year after year after year?  Hernandez actually sued the MLB, claiming that he never was made a permanent crew chief and he doesn't get postseason assignments because of his ethnicity/national origin and his age, and not because he sucks at his job.  The lawsuit remains pending.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2018, 06:49:29 PM »
Those guys are abominations. I hate unions. A friend of mine has been head of maintenance at local grade school for 20 years and from what I hear the teachers’ union is pretty good at protecting incompetents as well.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2018, 05:22:22 AM »
1978 anyone?  And, as Dennis Leary would say, "Bucky F*cking Dent".

'nuff said

(I still remember seeing that whole game with some college buddies at a campus bar whilst skipping class)

I was 10 years old and cried like a baby losing that one game playoff at home.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2018, 06:53:39 AM »
Nice point here about how difficult it is for one player to make a difference in MLB. It's the ultimate team game. (from Joe Posnanski):
"THE POWER OF ONE"
Small sample sizes, obviously, but look at this: Bryce Harper, March 30-April 16: .315/.487/.778 Hit eight homers in 17 games, scored 17 runs, drove in 17 runs. Team record: 8-9 * * * Bryce Harper, April 17-July 6: .189/.332/.402 Dreadful, 79 strikeouts in 68 games, poor defense, roughly replacement-level play. Team record: 36-33 * * * Bryce Harper, July 7-Aug. 21: .328/.420/.604 He's back, crushing the ball, playing Bryce Harper baseball. In 36 games, 10 doubles, 9 homers, four stolen bases without being caught, back to being a premier player. Team record: 17-20 * * *

Offline pg1067

« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2018, 11:07:56 AM »
Nice point here about how difficult it is for one player to make a difference in MLB. It's the ultimate team game. (from Joe Posnanski):
"THE POWER OF ONE"
Small sample sizes, obviously, but look at this: Bryce Harper, March 30-April 16: .315/.487/.778 Hit eight homers in 17 games, scored 17 runs, drove in 17 runs. Team record: 8-9 * * * Bryce Harper, April 17-July 6: .189/.332/.402 Dreadful, 79 strikeouts in 68 games, poor defense, roughly replacement-level play. Team record: 36-33 * * * Bryce Harper, July 7-Aug. 21: .328/.420/.604 He's back, crushing the ball, playing Bryce Harper baseball. In 36 games, 10 doubles, 9 homers, four stolen bases without being caught, back to being a premier player. Team record: 17-20 * * *

As you noted, small sample size (indeed, the smallest sample possible).  I'm sure many similar examples exist.  Likewise, I'm sure there are many examples of a team's fortunes coinciding precisely with the performance of a single player.

By the way, all of this demonstrates how silly "WAR" is.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2018, 05:37:25 AM »
There's something to be said for teammates stepping it up with the star player is struggling. I think there's a lot of mental aspects to baseball that you don't see in other sports. It's almost like at times players can will themselves to be better than they are, or talk themselves out of their greatness when they're great players.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2018, 08:41:17 PM »
The Tigers in '84 were the perfect example of 'stepping it up'.  As were teams in the years of x, y, z up til now.  All the fans of 'our' teams can pinpoint a dozen things that went right when our teams won it all.

btw...I'll put up a post in the next couple of weeks where 'the hall of very good' of my guys will outweigh any arguments as to those individuals who would argue that they do not belong in the HOF (with Bill James on my side).  Don't p*ss on my parade.

Moving on.....experiencing the induction weekend at Cooperstown is something every baseball fan should experience once in their lifetime.  The camaraderie I shared with fellow Tiger fans was a joy as we shared stories of decades of many winning seasons while listening to Ernie Harwell and the 'voice of God' Paul Carey on our little transistor radios.  To chat with a Braves or White Sox or Padres fan, and share the love of Chipper and Thome and Hoffman.......there were way too many that I did not share the language regarding Vlad (though I saw his last year in Balto).................

Next year, my wife and I will visit the HOF, on a regular weekday, so that we won't have to fight off the crowds and get to spend the needed time to read the plaques and view the artifacts up close.  Yankee fans will get to enjoy Rivera's and Jeter's inductions over the next two years at the phony 'birthplace' of the American game, we're waiting for Lou Whitaker's in three years.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »
Just for fun...

List the MLB stadiums you have visited.

Mine:

Anaheim/Angels Stadium (not as often as Dodger Stadium, but lots)
Dodger Stadium (100s of times)
Old Candlestick Park (1991 Cards at Giants)
Camden Yards (somewhere in the 1999-2001 range - Devil Rays at Orioles)
Coors Field (2005ish ?? at Rockies)
Fenway Park (2007 ?? at Red Sox)
Nationals Park (2010 Phillies at Nationals)
AT&T Park (2014 or 15 White Sox at Giants)
Chase Field (2017 Dodgers at Diamondbacks)
New Yankee Stadium (2018 Mariners at Yankees)
Citi Field (2018 Dodgers at Mets)

San Diego is too close for me not to have been there, so that's the next likely candidate.  I think the next baseball trip will be Chicago, with Milwaukee and/or Minnesota added.  I have a feeling the last stadiums on the list will be Tampa/Miami/Atlanta, simply because I have no real interest in going to those places other than to go to the stadiums.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2018, 04:08:41 AM »
Small list for me....

Veterans Stadium - 5 or 6 Phillies games, most notably a game of the 1993 NLCS
Memorial Stadium - Giants vs. Ravens Preseason game in 1997. (If that counts)
Oriole Park at Camden Yards - 10-12 Orioles Games 1997-2015, most notably a game of the 1997 ALCS
RFK Stadium - 2007, Braves vs. Nationals and Orioles vs. Nationals
Citizens Bank Park - 2015, Marlins vs. Phillies.

I'd love to get out an see more ballparks at some point.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2018, 11:47:08 AM »
So...it's crunch time.  Most teams have 12-13 games remaining.

Red Sox have clinched a playoff birth but not the division.  They have an 11.5 game lead on the Yankees with 12 left to play (the Yankees have 13 remaining).  The Rays have clinched a winning season and have the same or a better record as two NL division leaders.

Indians have clinched the AL Central.  Everyone else in the division is eliminated from playoff contention.

The Astros have a 4 game lead on the A's in the AL West.

The Yankees and A's have the two wild card spots.  The Rays and Mariners still have a chance, but it's fading fast.  The Angels also theoretically have a chance, but they've got too may teams to hurdle.

Nothing is clinched in the NL, although the Braves have a 6.5 game lead over the fading Phillies.  The Nationals have made a little surge and are just a game behind the Phillies.

The Cubs have a 2.5 game lead on the Brewers and a 5.5 game lead on the Cards.

In the West, the Dodgers took a 0.5 game lead on the Rockies last night, with 2 games remaining in their head-to-head series.  After finishing the series with the Rockies, the Dodgers have 3 games each against the Padres (at home) and the Giants and Diamondbacks (on the road).  The Rockies close with 3 games in Arizona and home series against the Phillies (4 games) and Nats (3 games).

In the NL wild card, the Brewers have the top spot by 3 games over the Cards, who have a half game on the Rockies and 5-7 games on four other teams.

I think the only uncertainty in the AL is the West, but I think the Astros probably pull it out, with the Yankees and A's squaring off in the wild card game.  I think the Yankees win that game and will square off in the division round against the Red Sox (which means we'll have a shitload of playoff games that don't finish until after midnight eastern time).  I think Chief Wahoo's boys beats the Astros and go on to face the Red Sox in the ALCS, with the Red Sox winning.

In the NL, the Braves, Cubs and Dodgers win the divisions, with the Brewers and Rockies facing off in the wild card game.  The Brewers will then beat the Cubs in the division series and the Dodgers will beat the Braves.  The Dodgers beat the Brewers in the NLCS and go on to beat the Red Sox in the World Series.

Damn right that's wishful thinking!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »
Brewers!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
Gonna be a fun, wild finish in the NL.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »
Dodgers with a walk-off against Colorado last night to take the first two games of the series and a 1.5 game lead in the NL West.

Walker Buehler on the mound tonight, hopefully to finish off the sweep.  If you haven't seen this kid pitch, check him out.  He probably isn't, but he should be, a RotY candidate, and he'll be a Cy Young candidate maybe as early as next season.

Cards and Cubs both had blow out wins, while the Brewers faltered against the Reds, who are apparently enjoying being spoilers.

Blake Snell led the Rays to victory and became the MLB's first 20 game winner this season (and first since the 2016 season).  Snell also sports an AL-leading 1.97 ERA (second only to Jacob deGrom in MLB) and a 0.97 WHIP.  The Rays gained a game on the A's for the second wild card spot, but are still 5.5 games back.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »
David Price earning his paycheck lol. No way I pitch him against NY in the playoffs

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »
He is a mental case and is not made for Boston/New York.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »
David Price earning his paycheck lol. No way I pitch him against NY in the playoffs

Not in NY anyway.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »

Not in NY anyway.

Not in any city in the playoffs.  He doesn't have the head for pressure.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2018, 11:48:45 AM »
Dodgers with the SWEEP over Colorado!!!  Up by 2.5 games with 9 remaining (COL has 10).  Dodgers are 18-7 in their last 25 games.  The only frustrating part of that is that 4 of the 7 losses came against cellar dwellers, the Reds and Mets.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #200 on: September 21, 2018, 11:18:32 AM »
Sox clinched the AL East at Yankee Stadium.  That was nice.

The A's got three touchdowns against the Angels and only gave up a field goal.  The A's are now only 1.5 games behind the Yankees for the first wild card spot.  I'd love to see the A's pass the Yankees.

Is it just me, but have there been a lot more games this year than in years past in which a team scores 12+ runs?  Not sure how I'd look that up, but it seems like we're getting at least one such game just about every week.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2018, 03:33:19 PM »
Sox clinched the AL East at Yankee Stadium.  That was nice.

:metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: September 21, 2018, 03:39:04 PM »
Mariners extend the longest streak in the 4 major sports of not making the playoffs. Next year that streak will be able to vote, join the armed forces, and buy cigarettes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »
Mariners extend the longest streak in the 4 major sports of not making the playoffs. Next year that streak will be able to vote, join the armed forces, and buy cigarettes.

Hmmm....I wouldn't have guessed the Mariners if you gave me 10 guesses.  One year longer than the Cleveland Browns.  Ouch.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #204 on: September 24, 2018, 04:52:03 PM »
Monday update:

Yankees clinched a wild card spot and the Astros clinched a playoff spot.  With a 4.5 game lead over the A's with 7/6 games to go, though, the Astros have effectively clinched the AL West.  The Sox have the best record wrapped up, and the Indians can't do any better than the third best division record, so that means the only real race is between the Yankees and A's for who hosts the wild card game.  Yankees are up by 1.5 games, so I'll be an A's fan until at least the wild card game.  The Rays still have a mathematical chance to catch the A's, but the A's magic number is 1.  The Rays could possibly win 94 games and miss the playoffs.

In the NL, the Braves clinched the East.  Cubs still have a 2.5 game lead on the Brewers with 7/6 games to go.  Not undoable, but it would be a real surprise.  Dodgers' lead on Colorado is only 1.5 games with 6/7 games to play.  Hopefully the Phillies relish their role as spoilers in their 4 game series against the Rockies that start today, and hopefully, the D-Backs continue to suck like they've been doing the last 3 weeks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »
The Rays still have a mathematical chance to catch the A's, but the A's magic number is 1.  The Rays could possibly win 94 games and miss the playoffs.

Aaaaaaaaand the A's are in, my FB feed just exploded with jubilant fans. May try and sneak in a playoff game or two if they get past the wildcard, always a good time.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2018, 07:17:09 AM »
Brewers inching closer to the Cubs.  I'd feel a lot better avoiding the crap shoot that is the one game playoff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2018, 11:14:31 AM »
Brewers inching closer to the Cubs.  I'd feel a lot better avoiding the crap shoot that is the one game playoff.

Nice.  Unfortunately, the Cubs have a game in hand, and the Brewers are two back in the loss column.

Dodgers have the same 1.5 game lead on the Rockies that the Cubs have on the Brewers.  Both teams' remaining games are against eliminated teams.  The Dodgers close out at San Francisco, who would like nothing better than to spoil the Dodgers' season.

From the Dodgers' perspective, the most interesting/concerning scenario is if the Rockies make it in as a wild card team, win the wild card game and win their NLDS series.  If the Dodgers play the Rockies in the NLCS, they'd potentially be without Kenley Jansen for the games in Colorado.

In other news, in his upcoming final start of the season, Max Scherzer will be shooting for 300 strikeouts in the season, which would make him the first to do it in the NL since Clayton Kershaw had 301 in 2015 (in the AL, Chris Sale had 308 in 2017).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
Congrats to my Sox for the franchise-record 106th win and for Mookie sewing up the MVP award this past week. But Cleveland and Houston have a much stronger starting rotation and I fear Boston will be bounced in the 2nd round  :-\ (assuming they get past NY or Oak in the Division Series).

Offline T-ski

« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »

Nice.  Unfortunately, the Cubs have a game in hand, and the Brewers are two back in the loss column.

Brewers close within 1 game.  Yelich for MVP.