San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals

Author Topic: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October  (Read 27628 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2018, 04:19:46 PM »
I disagree it was intentional.   Shall we here from those involved?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »

:lol :lol :lol

Source? Is that from some book or something? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2018, 04:31:51 PM »
It is from the book, Reverse The Curse.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »

and..

but with Varitek telling him to shut the F up, 

are the exact same thing. Apparently you're reading the cleaned up version.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2018, 04:45:18 PM »
That's because A-Rod should have.  He wasn't hit by a fastball.  Suck it up and take the free base.  Damn straight every catcher would say that. 

A-Rod was the one to tell "Come on" inviting the fight.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2018, 04:51:15 PM »

The only statement in that blurb about intent is Varitek's statement, "I know Bronson didn't hit him intentionally."  I don't know what that's from but I don't find that terribly persuasive (especially given the rather gross mischaracterization of the photo on the cover of the King/O'Nan book).  I recognize Arroyo wasn't exactly a world class pitcher, but it would be pretty hard to screw up a 12-6 that badly without some intent.  Even if Varitek's purported knowledge came directly from a denial by Arroyo, I don't really believe it, but it doesn't change anything else about this.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2018, 04:52:42 PM »
I don't believe the pitch was intentional. Definitely not.

But it was Varitek that blew this up. No question.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2018, 05:05:00 PM »
Sorry but he did not hit him intentionally.   Tim, I think the fault lies 50/50 and both should have bee. Kicked out. 

If A-Rod was hit in the ribs with a fastball with intent, I am with him.  This was not that, he should have gone to first and not played the tough guy, Varitek did what ever catcher would do but also deserved to be kicked out for it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »
I'm with you on the intentional part. It was surely NOT intentional.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2018, 07:38:00 PM »
The rest of us = Thunderlips
This conversation = Rocky

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2018, 07:40:55 PM »
Who is Thunderlips?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2018, 07:42:08 PM »
The guy that's gonna break your back, Meatball.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »
Who is Thunderlips?

You're killing me.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »
Who is Thunderlips?

I think it was a mid-2000s Norwegian/Dutch black Christian power metal band.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2018, 10:32:56 AM »
Who is Thunderlips?

I think it was a mid-2000s Norwegian/Dutch black Christian power metal band.

I can here it now in my head. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2018, 08:44:59 PM »
I realize the country is probably sick of watching the Red Sox/ Yankees. I get it. ESPN game next week, BTW.

But this week, it's Cubs/Cards. MLB network showed them the other day as well. I am fucking sick of Cubs/Cards. Who gives a shit?

I love baseball. I am not some mindless bimbo. I'd watch Padres/D-Backs.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »
I realize the country is probably sick of watching the Red Sox/ Yankees. I get it. ESPN game next week, BTW.

But this week, it's Cubs/Cards. MLB network showed them the other day as well. I am fucking sick of Cubs/Cards. Who gives a shit?

I love baseball. I am not some mindless bimbo. I'd watch Padres/D-Backs.

But...but...but...the Cardinals fans are the best thing in the world!

Seriously, I agree.

Also, Alex Rodriguez sucks as a commentator, and he has dragged Jessica Mendoza down with him.  That booth was WAY better with Boone and Mendoza.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2018, 03:55:51 PM »
It was better with Shilling.

I LOVE Matt Vaskerjian. I really miss him on MLB Central. That Flores guy sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2018, 07:15:23 AM »
Bryce Harper is available.

I will be shocked if he's not a Yankee by the end of the day. But I wouldn't sleep on Houston either.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »
I LOVE Matt Vaskerjian. I really miss him on MLB Central. That Flores guy sucks.

Matt Vasgersian has been the play-by-play guy for the MLB: The Show video game series going back at least as far as the 2010 edition, which was the first one I bought.  My son and I call him "Moon Shot Matt" because of one of his homer calls:  "High!  Deep!  THAT is a moon shot, folks!  A LONG home run!"  He's awesome -- in both the video game world and the real world.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »
I like him a lot. He has a great personality, but what I really like about him is that …..he really seems to like baseball.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
Good grief, the Twins have traded away half their roster (a bit of an exaggeration, but they may not be done yet). From an objective standpoint, they were all good moves, but as a fan it's just depressing. After a promising season last year, it looks like we're back in complete rebuilding mode.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »
Sale to the 10 day DL.  Left shoulder inflammation.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2018, 06:44:58 PM »
Dozier is a Dodger! :metal  What an infield that's gonna be!

And MV is great, I loved him on MLBN.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2018, 08:13:45 AM »

Matt Vasgersian has been the play-by-play guy for the MLB: The Show video game series going back at least as far as the 2010 edition, which was the first one I bought.  My son and I call him "Moon Shot Matt" because of one of his homer calls:  "High!  Deep!  THAT is a moon shot, folks!  A LONG home run!"  He's awesome -- in both the video game world and the real world.

Vasgersian used to call Brewers games back in the early 2000's and he had some interesting HR calls.  One of the best/oddest was when Richie Sexson would hit a HR he was say, "I smell Sexon and candy".
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
My wife and I are trying to recoup from an incredibly exhausting, but long overdue rewarding weekend of seeing Alan Trammell get inducted into the HOF.  Doubled my pleasure to see Morris get in as well.   Didn't know that Cooperstown would draw the second largest crowd ever for their ceremony.  ;) 

Chipper Jones was at times poignant and funny as hell.  Hoffman, Thome, and Vlad rounded out a great and classy induction class.  Went to their roundtable on Monday, saw the 'Legends' parade on Saturday (started with Al Kaline, ended with Trammell....) after Bob Costas got his Ford Frick award.  He brought many a tear when referencing Red Barber, Bob Prince, Chuck Thompson, and Ernie Harwell.  I guess I'll start a thread on this later if one doesn't exist now.

My wife and many friends here in the Balto are calling Atlanta 'Baltimore South' after the recent fire sale.  I bought my wife a Nick Markakis jersey after they put the city's name on the front, so I've paid some attention to the Braves since he moved on.  Will certainly be paying more attention to them as the season progresses, along with the Dodgers after Machado's move.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:46:28 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2018, 11:45:49 AM »
Great class of inductees this year. Thome is just a genuine really good guy.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2018, 11:59:04 AM »
I gotta say that this year's HoF class really makes me feel like the HoF is turning into the "Hall of Really Good."

Jack Morris:  Barely over 250 wins (led the league twice); career ERA of almost 4.00 (highest of any HoF pitcher and never led the league); less than 2,500 Ks and nearly 1,300 non-intentional walks; never won a Cy Young award (never even finished higher than third in the voting); was only an all-star in 5 of 16 full seasons.  Dude was brilliant in the 1991 World Series, but his career playoff numbers are otherwise unremarkable.

Alan Trammell:  Never led the league in anything; career .285 hitter (which, during the time he played, was a good average for a shortstop but was nothing special); no significant power or run production (185 HR and barely more than 1,000 RBI in 20 seasons/nearly 2,300 career games); a six time all-star and only once a legit MVP candidate.

These were above average players, but they're not HoF-worthy.  The others inducted were deserving, but (other than Jones and Thome in the mid-90s) mostly played for crappy teams, so this class was a bit lackluster.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
I gotta say that this year's HoF class really makes me feel like the HoF is turning into the "Hall of Really Good."

Jack Morris:  Barely over 250 wins (led the league twice); career ERA of almost 4.00 (highest of any HoF pitcher and never led the league); less than 2,500 Ks and nearly 1,300 non-intentional walks; never won a Cy Young award (never even finished higher than third in the voting); was only an all-star in 5 of 16 full seasons.  Dude was brilliant in the 1991 World Series, but his career playoff numbers are otherwise unremarkable.

Alan Trammell:  Never led the league in anything; career .285 hitter (which, during the time he played, was a good average for a shortstop but was nothing special); no significant power or run production (185 HR and barely more than 1,000 RBI in 20 seasons/nearly 2,300 career games); a six time all-star and only once a legit MVP candidate.

These were above average players, but they're not HoF-worthy.  The others inducted were deserving, but (other than Jones and Thome in the mid-90s) mostly played for crappy teams, so this class was a bit lackluster.

Vlad Guerrero was legit and his Angels teams were among the best during his six years there.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2018, 01:05:59 PM »
pg1067.....as to Trammell and Morris, instead of looking at the perceived negatives, look up the reasons why they were voted in.  Compare their numbers to those of their era and beyond.  They were together for 11 consecutive winning seasons (before Tommy Pizza gutted the franchise).

Their peers in the HOF deemed them worthy, and voted them in the first chance they had.  That should be good enough for the rest of us. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
Jack Morris's performance in game 7 of the 1991 series almost made him worthy of the HOF all by itself. If he didn't win that game, I bet he doesn't get in.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »
Bob Costas got his Ford Frick award.  He brought many a tear

I definitely shed a tear. Because he wouldn't STFU!

I have always like Bob Costas. A lot. He clearly loves baseball, and I think that's cool. But I have felt for a few years now that he has basically become a caricature of himself. 

Trammel and Morris are both bubble guys. But to me, so is Vlad Guerrero. Maybe I'm not aware of his numbers, but he never struck me as a HOFer.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2018, 02:26:51 PM »
Bob Costas got his Ford Frick award.  He brought many a tear

I definitely shed a tear. Because he wouldn't STFU!

I have always like Bob Costas. A lot. He clearly loves baseball, and I think that's cool. But I have felt for a few years now that he has basically become a caricature of himself. 

Trammel and Morris are both bubble guys. But to me, so is Vlad Guerrero. Maybe I'm not aware of his numbers, but he never struck me as a HOFer.

Vlad played 16 years.

.318 avg, 2591 Hits (86th all time), 449 HR (40th all time), 1496 RBI (57th all time), OPS .931, 1 MVP, 9 time All-Star

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »
Great numbers for sure.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »
Vlad Guerrero was legit and his Angels teams were among the best during his six years there.

Anaheim won a bunch of AL west titles.  The team's continued failure in the playoffs during Vlad's tenure (mostly at the hands of the Red Sox) made me forget that.

pg1067.....as to Trammell and Morris, instead of looking at the perceived negatives, look up the reasons why they were voted in.  Compare their numbers to those of their era and beyond. . . .

Their peers in the HOF deemed them worthy, and voted them in the first chance they had.  That should be good enough for the rest of us. 

First, I'm not "looking at the perceived negatives."  I'm looking at the stats and am also relying on my own recall of players who played their entire careers during my lifetime.  I don't perceive stats as either positive or negative.  They simply are what they are.

Second, no, just because someone else thinks something is not "good enough for" me.  Both Trammell and Morris were voted in by the "Modern Baseball Committee," which is part of what the former "Veterans Committee" turned into in 2016.  According the HoF's web site, "The Modern Baseball Committee shall consist of 16 members, comprised of members of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, executives, and veteran media members. The Chairman of the Board of Directors of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Inc. shall act as the non-voting chairman of the committee and shall act as non-voting Secretary of the Committee."  They don't appear to publicize who the 16 members of the committee are, so I'm not going to assume their opinions are entitled to any particular level of deference.  Keep in mind that the Veterans Committee is the same group that thought Phil Rizzuto was a HoFer, although I suppose, if Rizzuto gets in, then pretty much any shortstop can make it, but that simply proves my original point:  that the HoF is turning into the Hall of Really Good.

Jack Morris's performance in game 7 of the 1991 series almost made him worthy of the HOF all by itself. If he didn't win that game, I bet he doesn't get in.

Yup.