San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals

Author Topic: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October  (Read 27619 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2018, 07:29:42 PM »
What a loser David Price is. Horrible signing. Gets the lead against a terrible team and promptly hits 3 guys to force in the tying run. Always gets destroyed by the Yankees. Averaging about 3 million per win, nice value  ::)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2018, 07:51:01 PM »
Yup. Watching the game. What a clown.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »
I love Rougned Odor. That guy can play on my team anytime.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2018, 06:10:19 PM »
It’s more of a military recruitment exercise than an all-star game  :facepalm:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2018, 06:21:35 PM »
Nothing wrong with honoring the real heroes before the entertainers play their game

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2018, 06:55:02 PM »
Huh, I used to work with the guy who is Ump'ing the left field line in the All-Star game. When I knew him he was going through the classes to be an Ump. Nice to see he made it to the show.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2018, 07:12:11 PM »
So I have a few thoughts.

I LOVE the All Star game. Love it. I never miss it. I loved it as a kid and it's the one game a year that I most look forward to. It's great seeing the best players in the game in one place. There are so many amazing players. Judge, Harper, Trout, Betts.

Speaking of Harper, the Nats are televised quite often so I've seen many of his games. I hear a lot of people calling him a dick, but I'm just not seeing it. I love him as a player, and he's showing very well here in his home field. Thoroughly enjoyed the interview during the game. That guy can play on my team any day.

It’s more of a military recruitment exercise than an all-star game  :facepalm:

So, I don't mean any disrespect, I really don't but I'm going to say it...the honoring of the military at sporting events like this just seems....unoriginal. I'm all for vets and active service men and women getting their due, but this just seems like sports is out of ideas.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2018, 08:40:21 PM »

So, I don't mean any disrespect, I really don't but I'm going to say it...the honoring of the military at sporting events like this just seems....unoriginal. I'm all for vets and active service men and women getting their due, but this just seems like sports is out of ideas.

I'm not watching the game, so I'm not really sure what's going on, but you can be absolutely certain that considering the image troubles that the NFL is having (with the flag protests), that MLB is going to go way out of their way to project the opposite image.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2018, 08:48:18 PM »
I am amused by them mic'ing players on the field while they play.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2018, 11:11:58 AM »
So I have a few thoughts.

I LOVE the All Star game. Love it. I never miss it. I loved it as a kid and it's the one game a year that I most look forward to. It's great seeing the best players in the game in one place. There are so many amazing players. Judge, Harper, Trout, Betts.

Speaking of Harper, the Nats are televised quite often so I've seen many of his games. I hear a lot of people calling him a dick, but I'm just not seeing it. I love him as a player, and he's showing very well here in his home field. Thoroughly enjoyed the interview during the game. That guy can play on my team any day.

This is more or less how I feel.  I have always loved the all-star game, and seeing players from different teams playing together was always a fun novelty.  I always rooted for the NL, but who wins and loses has never really mattered to me (even during the "this time it counts" era).  Also agree about Harper.  All of the on-field interviews were enjoyable (particularly Lindor), and it's nice to see guys enjoying the game for what it is.

That being said, the game itself kinda sucked (and not just because a Dodger pitcher giving up homers to Astros gave me a very bad flashback).  The game itself was home run derby; I don't think any runs scored other than via home run.  Matt Kemp doubled to lead off the second and then got stranded because the guys after him in the lineup all tried to hit home runs instead of driving Kemp in.

As far as the military tribute stuff, I could do without it (although I think some of the extra stuff was a result of the game being in DC).  Fortunately, I watched the game delayed, so I could skip through most of it.  Same with the elongated Stand up to Cancer thing.  Just play the game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline T-ski

« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
Josh Hader with a big oopsie.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »
At least we're back to this being what it was always intended to be...just an exhibition game.  I watched more of Tuesday's game than the last five combined.

Mic'd players:  stupid and distracting.  Same with talking to managers during a game.  Would rather get a short background story about each batter. 

Oh, and Manny to the Dodgers.  I'll always be a Tiger fan first, but certainly follow and watch some O's and wish them well.  Brooks was the best all around third baseman, but this kid made plays that no one could match.  Seems to have reacquainted himself quite well again at SS, and he's handled the whole situation well.  Bully for the Dodgers.  Glad that the daily topic of the local sports stations and forums of the past nine or so months finally gets put to rest.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:59 AM »
Oh, and Manny to the Dodgers.  I'll always be a Tiger fan first, but certainly follow and watch some O's and wish them well.  Brooks was the best all around third baseman, but this kid made plays that no one could match.  Seems to have reacquainted himself quite well again at SS, and he's handled the whole situation well.  Bully for the Dodgers.  Glad that the daily topic of the local sports stations and forums of the past nine or so months finally gets put to rest.

I'm kinda "meh" on the acquisition.  On the one hand, yes, he's a great offensive player.  On the other hand, according to what I saw last night, he ranks 30th among shortstops in some sort of statistic that measures defensive runs saved.  Also his power numbers for the prior three seasons averaged 35 HR and 92.3 RBI.  His current numbers (through 96/162 games or 59.3% of the season) are 68.57% (for HR) and 70.40% (for RBI) of those average numbers.  This concerns me that he may fall off significantly in the second half (especially while making a move over the the NL.  That said, I don't have a problem with the price that the Dodgers paid to get him (even assuming he leaves after this season is over).

The other thing is that we didn't really need him.  One of the Dodgers' biggest strengths is that virtually everyone (the notable exception being Yasmani Grandal, which isn't a big deal since he's the #1 catcher) plays multiple positions (even if it's just some guys being able to play anywhere in the outfield).  Therefore, even though Corey Seager is out for the season, we didn't really need to pick up a shortstop, so this is purely an offensive acquisition.  I really hope that the Dodgers' front office makes another big move -- either to acquire a front line starter or a set up reliever.  Those are both areas of much greater need.

Either way, GO BLUE!!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »

I'm kinda "meh" on the acquisition.  On the one hand, yes, he's a great offensive player.  On the other hand, according to what I saw last night, he ranks 30th among shortstops in some sort of statistic that measures defensive runs saved.  Also his power numbers for the prior three seasons averaged 35 HR and 92.3 RBI.  His current numbers (through 96/162 games or 59.3% of the season) are 68.57% (for HR) and 70.40% (for RBI) of those average numbers.  This concerns me that he may fall off significantly in the second half (especially while making a move over the the NL.  That said, I don't have a problem with the price that the Dodgers paid to get him (even assuming he leaves after this season is over).

The other thing is that we didn't really need him.  One of the Dodgers' biggest strengths is that virtually everyone (the notable exception being Yasmani Grandal, which isn't a big deal since he's the #1 catcher) plays multiple positions (even if it's just some guys being able to play anywhere in the outfield).  Therefore, even though Corey Seager is out for the season, we didn't really need to pick up a shortstop, so this is purely an offensive acquisition.  I really hope that the Dodgers' front office makes another big move -- either to acquire a front line starter or a set up reliever.  Those are both areas of much greater need.

Either way, GO BLUE!!!

Machado is generational talent and now the best position player on the Dodgers. Enjoy!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »
The question remains:  whose roster spot does Machado take?

Currently, the Dodgers have six infielders and four outfielders on the active 25-man roster:

Infield
Bellinger
Forsythe
Muncy
Taylor
Turner
Utley

Outfield
Hernandez
Kemp
Pederson
Toles

Bellinger, Hernandez and Taylor can play infield or outfield.  Everyone else is one or the other.  Toles might be the most likely candidate (although that leaves the team with a potential shortage of outfielders).  I'd really be happy to see Forsythe go.  I'd say the same about Utley, but he brings intangibles, and I can't see that happening (esp. after Utley announced he's retiring after the end of the season).  The other possibility would be to send one of our 13 pitchers down to AAA.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2018, 07:19:59 PM »
Am I wrong or is my friend wrong? We are arguing on Facebook about the A-Rod/Varitek brawl.  I hate when a batter glares after getting hit by a pitch.  I would curse Red Sox players for doing it.

He says Veritek started it.  I say A-Rod should have not slow walked and stare at the pitcher.   It was a curve ball and was not intentional.   

If it was a fastball to the ribs I could see A-Rod being mad.  What do you say?

https://youtu.be/mQUl2JOSVYo
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2018, 07:22:20 PM »
I never side with pitchers.  They are wanna-be tough guys who think it is fine to plunk a hitter or pump their fists after a strikeout, but the second a batter looks at them after getting hit or stares at a home fun for more than 1.9 seconds, they act like massive crybabies.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2018, 07:26:58 PM »
I never side with pitchers.  They are wanna-be tough guys who think it is fine to plunk a hitter or pump their fists after a strikeout, but the second a batter looks at them after getting hit or stares at a home fun for more than 1.9 seconds, they act like massive crybabies.

I agree.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2018, 07:56:23 PM »
This was a curveball.  The intent wasn't to hit him. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2018, 07:59:05 PM »
This was a curveball.  The intent wasn't to hit him.

ARod wasn't even that mad, but with Varitek telling him to shut the F up, of course he was going to tell Varitek to F off.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2018, 08:02:59 PM »
A-Rod was glaring in the box. He was jarring with Arroyo. 

I hate when Red Sox players do that.  You were hit with a curve ball that got away.  Take your damn base.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2018, 08:14:59 PM »
Varitek totally antagonized the situation, homer.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2018, 08:18:51 PM »
You mean after his picture was jarring with A-Rod.  If that were true he would have started in the box.

Homer? Please.  I already said I hate when alm players, including Red Sox players do this.  Also, Varitek deserved to be kicked out. 

So again, homer?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2018, 08:20:54 PM »
You mean after his picture was jarring with A-Rod.  If that were true he would have started in the box.

Homer? Please.  I already said I hate when alm players, including Red Sox players do this.  Also, Varitek deserved to be kicked out. 

So again, homer?

Varitek was the antagonist to the whole thing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2018, 08:23:57 PM »
No. A-Rod jawing and staring started it. Varitek added the gas.  In the end both were ejected and rightfully so. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2018, 08:35:01 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
Keep making yourself feel better buy calling me a homer.  You can see what I've typed. Nice try.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2018, 08:43:05 PM »
Your facebook friend is right. Varitek knew the team needed a spark. Good for him.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2018, 08:45:16 PM »
That's what you think.  He saw the jarring between his pitcher and the batter.  Stepped in between.  Words then sparked them squaring off.  Varitek deserved to be thrown out.  Same for A-Rod.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2018, 08:51:01 PM »
But why should A Rod be thrown out? Varitek attacked him. Boston fans make A Rod the villain, but if (whoever was Varitek's backup) was catching, ARod goes to first. Nothing happens. Varitek was jarring with him from the get go.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2018, 08:55:42 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »
Lol Kev.

Hey, you don't have to respond.  You watch hockey supposedly Tim.  Draw a foul? Don't jump in? Come on man.

How about take a curve ball like a man and walk to 1st base without jawing?

I dislike any batter crying like a baby. Take the free base.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2018, 06:31:40 AM »
Dang, I was hoping you guys would have stayed up all night and continued that pillow fight. :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2018, 06:45:10 AM »
Dang, I was hoping you guys would have stayed up all night and continued that pillow fight. :P

I know your kinky side now Kev.  LOL

Offline pg1067

« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »
Am I wrong or is my friend wrong? We are arguing on Facebook about the A-Rod/Varitek brawl.  I hate when a batter glares after getting hit by a pitch.  I would curse Red Sox players for doing it.

He says Veritek started it.  I say A-Rod should have not slow walked and stare at the pitcher.   It was a curve ball and was not intentional.   

If it was a fastball to the ribs I could see A-Rod being mad.  What do you say?

https://youtu.be/mQUl2JOSVYo

Before I comment, I will tell you that I'm a Dodger fan and, therefore, biased against the Yankees.  I'm also married to a passionate fan of all Boston sports teams and therefore consider the Red Sox my #2 team (and #1 AL team).

I'm also going to point out that it's curious that you invited folks to tell you that you are wrong but don't seem willing to accept being told exactly that.

First of all, while the pitch was a curveball, it clearly was intentional.

Second, I don't recall what led up to this, and that certainly played into it.

Third, it's hard to evaluate without knowing what was said (and, in particular, what Varitek said before Rodriguez started dropping f-bombs).

All that being said, and regardless of Rodriguez "slow walking," this was on Varitek.  Rodriguez gave no indication that he was going to charge the mound, so Varitek had no reason to leave his position other than to start something.

Varitek was the antagonist to the whole thing.

No. A-Rod jawing and staring started it. Varitek added the gas.  In the end both were ejected and rightfully so. 

Rodriguez yapping at Arroyo didn't "start" anything.  Batters and pitchers yap at each other all the time without it escalating into a brawl.  Had Varitek stayed in his position, nothing would have happened.

How about take a curve ball like a man and walk to 1st base without jawing?

Likewise, how about letting the guy jaw and take his base and move on?

Baseball fights are stupid wastes of time.  They need to handle it like hockey:  If you leave the bullpen to participate in a fight, you get fined and suspended.  If you leave the dugout to participate in a fight, you get fined and suspended.  if you leave your position to participate in a fight, you get fined and/or suspended.

Or, we could take the entertainment value up a notch:  Have a sniper with rubber bullets positioned near the dugout.  If a batter charges the mound, take him down.