San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals

Author Topic: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October  (Read 27626 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2018, 11:16:17 AM »
Just booked The TAC Summer Vacation 2018 last night, and this morning, bought tickets to take in a Giants game.  :metal
Damn, it's expensive.

You should hook up with RJ (Lonestar)!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »
Just booked The TAC Summer Vacation 2018 last night, and this morning, bought tickets to take in a Giants game.  :metal
Damn, it's expensive.

giggity
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
Damn, it's expensive.

I KNOW WHO RJ IS!!!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »
And JAY!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
Damn, it's expensive.

My son and I went to a game at AT&T a few years ago.  It's a pretty cool stadium (miles better than Candletrash Park, which I visited in the early 90s).  Hope the Giants lose but that you enjoy yourself.

My son and I are going to NYC in a couple weeks for games at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field (Dodgers v. Mets!) and a Staten Island Yankees game.  It's getting close, so I'm starting to get pumped.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
We try and hit a ball park if possible while on vacation.

2015..Dodger Stadium

2016...Coors Field

Gee, I wonder what I'll wear to AT&T Park.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
And JAY!!!!!

Do you not realize how large California is? :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2018, 02:12:25 PM »
Neither does my wife. She's like, oh maybe we'll go to Disney for a day. I'm like WTF?? That's like driving from Virginia to Florida! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
And JAY!!!!!

Do you not realize how large California is? :lol

7 hours away but screw him.  Same state! :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2018, 12:30:53 PM »
So...I was looking at the NL West standings this morning, and it raised a conundrum I've had for a while.

Generally, if a team has a winning record, folks will say that the team is X games over .500, with X being the difference between the team's number of wins and number of losses.  For example, as of this morning, the Red Sox are 42-19, so it would typically be said that the Sox are 23 games over .500.  It works the same for a team with a losing record.  The Orioles are 19-41, so they're 22 games under .500.

However, when we talk about how far ahead one team is over another, we take the difference between Team A's wins and Team B's wins, subtract the difference between Team B's losses and Team A's losses, and divide that result by 2.

Where I'm going with all this is that, as of this morning, the Diamondbacks are 32-28, so one would typically say they are four games over .500.  However, the Dodgers are currently a .500 team (30-30).  Therefore, the Diamondbacks are, simultaneously, four games over .500 but only two games ahead of a .500 team!

Am I the only one who thinks this makes no sense at all?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
It's because that .500 team plays games too.  If the Diamondbacks lost their next two and the Dodgers won their next two, they'd have the same record.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2018, 07:06:05 PM »
Where I'm going with all this is that, as of this morning, the Diamondbacks are 32-28, so one would typically say they are four games over .500.  However, the Dodgers are currently a .500 team (30-30).  Therefore, the Diamondbacks are, simultaneously, four games over .500 but only two games ahead of a .500 team!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2018, 12:25:10 PM »
Chris Davis is on track to have the worst season in MLB history...

[/It's pretty frightening to be on an "on-pace-for" the worst season of all-time by a large margin when you're nearing mid-June. Chris Davis's on-pace-for in fWAR would rank him 81892 out of 81892 player-seasons since 1901. By NEARLY A FULL WIN.
— Dan Szymborski (@DSzymborski) June 7, 2018

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23729870/real-not-chris-davis-worst-season-all

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2018, 12:34:50 PM »
WTF is "fWAR"?

I really hate "advanced stats" and the fact that MLB Network has started throwing them out there as if they actually mean something.  Fortunately, there are at least a couple of the on-air personalities who call BS anytime  those things are brought up.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »
The dude has only scored 5 runs all season. 5 runs, for an everyday starter.

[/His five runs so fascinated me I even looked them up:

-- April 14: Doubled off somebody named Marcus Walden of the Red Sox and scored on two groundouts.

-- May 2: Singled off Eduardo Paredes of the Angels and later scored on Jace Peterson's triple.

By the way, both of these runs came in the ninth inning of games the Orioles were losing 10-2 entering the frame. I can't even continue.

So I guess in this case.... the advanced stats are spot on!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing about the shittiness of Chris Davis's season to date.  Mine was just a general rant.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2018, 11:18:55 AM »
Well that sucks.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23775735/miguel-cabrera-detroit-tigers-remainder-season-ruptured-biceps-tendon

That is too bad.  I wonder if he doesn't think long and hard about hanging up his spikes.  I don't know what his contract situation is, but he probably had/has a pretty good chance of getting to 500 home runs and an outside shot at 3,000 hits.  He's a lock for the HoF, but it's too bad his Tigers teams could never win a World Series.  His 2012 season was just ridiculous, but his follow up in 2013 might have been even better (2 fewer RBI, same number of homers, and BA, OBP and SLG all increased significantly).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »
My son and I are finishing up our New York City baseball trip.  We saw the Mariners at the Yankees last Wednesday.  Mariners took a 5-0 lead, but the Yankees ended up walking it off on a Stanton homer in the 9th.  On Thursday, we saw the Staten Island Yankees play a largely forgettable game in front of probably no more than 250 people, but minor league baseball is always fun.  Last night, we got to see Clayton Kershaw start for the Dodgers.  He only lasted 3 innings, but the Dodgers beat the Mets after Matt Kemp hit a grand slam late in the game.

We also did a bunch of touristy stuff, and today, we're mostly chilling because the streets are packed for the "pride" stuff.  We fly back home tomorrow.  All in all, a really cool trip.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »
Sounds awesome, man. No pics?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2018, 06:46:29 PM »
WTF is "fWAR"?

I really hate "advanced stats" and the fact that MLB Network has started throwing them out there as if they actually mean something.  Fortunately, there are at least a couple of the on-air personalities who call BS anytime  those things are brought up.

Why are they BS? Assembling and studying a hundred years of data in order to understand the game better and disprove ancient myths is BS? I swear baseball is the only sport where fans want to regress instead of progress.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
Today's Dodgers/Mets game was EPIC!!!  Dodgers hit 7 HRs including one in the 11th.  :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2018, 12:33:58 PM »
WTF is "fWAR"?

Why are they BS? Assembling and studying a hundred years of data in order to understand the game better and disprove ancient myths is BS? I swear baseball is the only sport where fans want to regress instead of progress.

"WAR" and every other "advanced stat" I've ever heard of are BS because they're not based in reality.  Take WAR for example.  The idea is that a player with a WAR of X got the team X more wins than if that player had been replaced by a hypothetical "average player."  Putting aside the fact that the "average player" doesn't actually exist, it is pure speculation whether a team would have won or lost more or fewer games had the player been replaced by a hypothetical "average player."  Moreover, no clearly established formula exists for calculating WAR.  All of the formulas, however, apply completely arbitrary values to any given statistic.

So, yeah, that's BS.

Sounds awesome, man. No pics?

I tried but am seemingly incompetent.  If you want to give me a crash course in how to do it, I'm happy to share.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2018, 01:41:04 PM »
Dismiss it all you want, it's a really good (but obviously not perfect) way to compare a player's production as a whole with one number. Look, baseball is a stats driven sport. Always has been, always will be. It sort of irks me when someone venomously mentions "analytics" or similar terms when trying to dismiss it and then turn around and talk about RBIs, pitcher wins, and other team based stats to try to discuss the individual accomplishments as a player.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2018, 01:48:50 PM »
Dismiss it all you want, it's a really good (but obviously not perfect) way to compare a player's production as a whole with one number. Look, baseball is a stats driven sport. Always has been, always will be. It sort of irks me when someone venomously mentions "analytics" or similar terms when trying to dismiss it and then turn around and talk about RBIs, pitcher wins, and other team based stats to try to discuss the individual accomplishments as a player.

I disagree that WAR is "really good" or even "good" because it's a purely hypothetical thing.  It's no better than someone simply saying, "Player X is better than Player Y."  At least with things like RBI, wins, etc., you're looking at real things.  An RBI is a real thing.  Is it the be all and end all?  No, but it's real.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »

I disagree that WAR is "really good" or even "good" because it's a purely hypothetical thing.  It's no better than someone simply saying, "Player X is better than Player Y."  At least with things like RBI, wins, etc., you're looking at real things.  An RBI is a real thing.  Is it the be all and end all?  No, but it's real.

Actually, it’s not hypothetical because it’s based on RUNS which has a tangible, direct correlation to WINS. Not a perfect stat, but much better than hoary old-school bunk.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »
+

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »
Price and spherical shaped meat loaf?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2018, 01:51:44 PM »
He was serving meatballs last night. Holy shit!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2018, 03:18:14 PM »

Actually, it’s not hypothetical because it’s based on RUNS which has a tangible, direct correlation to WINS. Not a perfect stat, but much better than hoary old-school bunk.

Regardless of how WAR is calcuated (and there isn't even a universally accepted formula), it is completely speculative that having Player A on the team resulted in the team winning X number of games more than if Player A were replaced by a hypothetical "average player."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2018, 08:26:06 PM »
He was serving meatballs last night. Holy shit!

Made for a pretty fun back and forth over Saturday and Sunday while on vacation with friends who are Red Sox fans :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
All three games were over in the first inning!

Sox bounce back against Sherzer and the Nats tonight. Porcello a 3 run double.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2018, 10:37:33 AM »
Dodgers scored 17 runs on the Pirates in the first six innings of the game, and Matt Kemp went 5 for 5 with 4 RBI.  One run scored when the pitcher and catcher couldn't connect on the throw back to the mound with a runner on third base.  It was like watching a little league game.  I fully expect to be no-hit tonight -- especially since Kershaw is starting, and he always seems to get shitty run support.

Also, did anyone see Yasiel Puig score from second on a grounder to second on Sunday?  Some pretty impressive baserunning from a guy who is sometimes too aggressive on the basepaths.  Check it out.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2018, 08:28:51 AM »
Brewers still with the best record in the NL!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2018, 11:39:05 AM »
You all need to search for the Red Sox on the 4th before they boarded their plane.  All wore patriotic closes.  Chris Sale FTW! :lol