San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants
Seattle Mariners
St. Louis Cardinals
Tampa Bay Rays
Texas Rangers
Toronto Blue Jays
Washington Nationals

Author Topic: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October  (Read 27635 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October
« on: February 09, 2018, 10:44:44 AM »
2017 Thread - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49536.0
2016 Thread - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45462.0
2015 Thread - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43353.0

Another year, and another long time Championship drought has come to an end. The Houston Astros core of young exciting players powered their way to the franchise’s first World Series Championship.

There seems to be only a handful of teams that look to be contenders, while most teams are mired in rebuilds. On top of that, free agency has all but hit a standstill, with many big names without new deals heading into spring training. But there were some big trades, none seemingly bigger than Stanton to the Yankees.

New Managers
Boston – Alex Cora takes over for John Farrell.
Detroit – Ron Gardenhire, formally of the Minnesota Twins takes over for Brad Ausmus
N.Y. Mets – Mickey Callaway takes over for Terry Collins
N.Y. Yankees – Former Yankee player Aaron Boon takes over for Joe Girardi.
Philadelphia – Gabe Kapler takes over for Pete MacKanin, who will remain with the organization.
Washington – Dave Martinez takes over for Dusty Baker.

The 2018 All Star Game will take place in Washington D.C., marking the 4th year in a row that the game will be played in a National League ballpark.

What is the state of your team heading into the new season? Any early predictions for anything that we’ll see?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:01:08 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:50:37 AM »
Any early predictions for anything that we’ll see?

The Mariners will be mediocre. I know what you are thinking... "But Cool Chris, how can you make such a bold prediction like that?" Call it a hunch. I certainly am not basing it on any sort of historical track record the franchise has. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online pg1067

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »
Go Dodgers!!!  This will be six division titles in a row, and I don't think anyone in the NL is significantly improved, so I predict relatively smooth sailing to the World Series.  Cody Bellinger and Corey Seager will continue to cement their status as two of the best young players in the league.  Kershaw will have a bounce-back regular season (not that 2017 was bad, but it wasn't up to his personal standards).  Hopefully Julio Urias comes back as predicted or earlier, and I think Walker Buehler will take a run at the Dodgers third straight Rookie of the Year award.

The giants will continue to suck balls (as it should be).

I don't think there's any way the Yankees don't win the AL East, but this just feels like the early 2000s when the Yankees tried to buy Championships and were continually defeated in the playoffs by inferior teams.

The Astros will probably repeat in the West.  The Angels are much improved, but they have shit for pitching.  Watching what happens with Otani will be interesting.

The Indians and Cubs will almost certainly repeat in the Central Divisions, as will the Nats in the NL East.

Somewhere along the way, we'll get a surprise team or two, and that will be interesting to watch for.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 03:28:15 PM »
the Brewers overachieved big time last season.  They were in the process of a complete rebuild but scratched that by trading for Christian Yelich and signing Lorenzo Cain.  They are still looking for an ace in the rotation but have a lot of good young arms knocking on the major league door.  Still talk of Darvish and Arrietta as possibilities, but I don't think they want to really bust the bank at this point. 

Wouldn't surprise me if they are a better team this year and have a worse record.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 01:07:59 PM »
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Cubs are close to signing Yu Darvish for appx. 6 years, 150 million.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 02:19:11 PM »
METS BABY!!!!!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 02:21:20 PM »
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Cubs are close to signing Yu Darvish for appx. 6 years, 150 million.
My gut tells me they will regret that contract. Not a big believer in Darvish. Too big a number for a 2 guy in my opinion.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »
Surprisingly my Twins were one of the teams in on Darvish in the end. I hope missing out works out well in the end. I think by the last 2 or 3 years of that contract won't be worth it, but if he can lead them to another WS in the next year or two, it will be worth a few bad years. I'll be very interested to see what the Twins do now. They definitely need another good starter.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 10:20:45 PM »
My gut tells me they will regret that contract. Not a big believer in Darvish. Too big a number for a 2 guy in my opinion.

I agree Tick. Honestly, I’ve never been impressed by the guy. Talented for sure but I see nothing special about him. Especially not $25 million a year special at this point in his career.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline dparrott

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:42:26 AM »
Go Dodgers!!!  This will be six division titles in a row, and I don't think anyone in the NL is significantly improved, so I predict relatively smooth sailing to the World Series.  Cody Bellinger and Corey Seager will continue to cement their status as two of the best young players in the league.  Kershaw will have a bounce-back regular season (not that 2017 was bad, but it wasn't up to his personal standards).  Hopefully Julio Urias comes back as predicted or earlier, and I think Walker Buehler will take a run at the Dodgers third straight Rookie of the Year award.

:tup
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:43:37 AM »

Can't believe the Dodgers actually wanted him back. 

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 11:24:49 AM »
The Astros are my fav team right now because of Jose Altuve playing there, but it could also be Detroit Tigers b/c of Miggy. I always go with the ones with Venezuelan players in the roster.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »
Looking forward to the fireworks display that Judge and Stanton should be able to put on this season.
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »

When was your last title? That's what I thought....

:GiantsMetal:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:05:51 PM by lonestar »

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 07:11:27 AM »
Big Yankees fan here.

Of course I am excited for the offensive potential this team has, but not sure the pitching will hold up, with no real changes/additions.

Can Tanaka get back to what he was 2-3 years ago? Can we expect another over-par season from CC? Will the young guys keep improving (Montgomery, Gray, Severino)?

Either way, we should win the East, even if we win a lot of 8-7 games.

Online pg1067

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 12:18:26 PM »

Good riddance!

Can't believe the Dodgers actually wanted him back. 

I think one of the multitude of Dodgers front office folks (can't remember which one) said at the fan fest a couple weeks ago that the chances of him re-signing with the Dodgers were in the single digits.  I think it was more of a "we'll take him back AT THE RIGHT PRICE, which is a lot less than he'll get elsewhere" situation.  The only real concern is that the Dodgers don't really have a #1 RH starter going into spring training.  I guess Maeda will fill that role until someone supplants him, but I think Maeda proved himself better out of the bullpen and a spot starter.  Ross Stripling and Brock Stewart aren't the answer, and I'm not sure Walker Buehler is ready yet.  I'd like to think the Dodgers are kicking Jake Arrieta's tires, but we'll see.

Yeah...yeah.  Sadly, what is and what should be aren't always the same thing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 12:52:25 PM »
 :biggrin:

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
No, no, no, my Cincinnati Reds have the monopoly on the ball sucking. They will continue to field a decent team offensively with lots of good young talent, with the exception of the pitching staff.

Why?

Because they gave a gazillion dollars to Homer Bailey a few years back, who hasn't played a full season since he became a gazillionaire. He sucks...as does the rest of their pitching staff. And unlike the Cubs...who built a solid team through the draft and then went out and bought pitching, the Reds are hoping they can build both through the draft.

Unfortunately, Hunter Greene is only 18, and he's one guy.

So, back to ball sucking they go for another year.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online pg1067

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 11:35:44 AM »
No, no, no, my Cincinnati Reds have the monopoly on the ball sucking.

I feel bad for Joey Votto, but good on him for not whining and sucking it up.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 08:20:48 AM »

Online pg1067

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 01:37:48 PM »
Boston gets their man... no officialy. 5 years, $110 for J.D.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22584613/boston-red-sox-officially-sign-jd-martinez-5-year-deal-2022

So...whose spot in the Sox outfield does he steal?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »
The PA wants these teams to spend their money.... get these FAs signed.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22595160/mlbpa-files-revenue-sharing-grievance-miami-marlins-oakland-pittsburgh-pirates-tampa-bay-rays

BRADENTON, Fla. -- The Major League Baseball Players Association has filed a grievance against the Miami Marlins, Oakland Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates and Tampa Bay Rays, accusing the teams of failing to appropriately spend revenue-sharing money.

The union says the grievance was filed Friday. Major League Baseball says the complaint has "no merit." The A's, Marlins and Rays did not immediately comment.

Pirates president Frank Coonelly released a statement saying that the grievance against his team "is patently baseless."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 11:59:06 AM »
Boston gets their man... no officialy. 5 years, $110 for J.D.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22584613/boston-red-sox-officially-sign-jd-martinez-5-year-deal-2022

So...whose spot in the Sox outfield does he steal?

DH fill in when others are given a day off. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DT2003

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 05:51:03 PM »
Mets fan here. To say last year was a disappointing year would be a huge understatement. Had very high hopes going into last season and never thought it would have been possible for them to finish as poorly as they did. Given the way last year went I had low expectations for this year, but I like the moves they’ve made and on paper I think they have a good team. Health will be the biggest issue with them as deGrom is their only pitcher who has been able to stay healthy. If their pitching staff is healthy and plays to their potential, they will be very tough. That’s always been a big if with the Mets though. Cespedes needs to stay healthy too. I love the addition of Frazier as I think he’s a great clubhouse guy and can be the leader this team has been missing since David Wright has been hurt. So I’m hopeful for a good season, but as a Mets fan hope is usually all I have.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 09:17:30 PM »

:GiantsMetal:

When was YOUR last NL WEST title??    :justjen  :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2018 Major League Baseball Thread - OPENING DAY!
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 07:47:15 AM »
A true opening day, with all 30 teams playing today!

2018 Predictions

AL East
1. New York
2. Boston (WC)
3. Toronto
4. Baltimore
5. Tampa Bay

AL Central
1. Cleveland
2. Minnesota
3. Kansas City
4. Chicago
5. Detroit

AL West
1. Houston
2. Los Angeles (WC)
3. Seattle
4. Texas
5. Oakland

NL East
1. Washington
2. New York
3. Philadelphia
4. Atlanta
5. Miami

NL Central
1. Chicago
2. Milwaukee (WC)
3. St. Louis
4. Cincinnati
5. Pittsburgh

NL West
1. Los Angeles
2. Arizona (WC)
3. Colorado
4. San Francisco
5. San Diego

ALCS - New York defeats Houston
NLCS - Washington defeats Los Angeles

World Series - Washington defeats New York

Hope I'm wrong.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 07:56:39 AM »
LETS GO YANKEES!   :metal :metal :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 07:59:54 AM »
I have hopes that the Twins can play a little better than expected and get into the playoffs again. On paper they're a better team than last year, but they're going to need a few guys to step it up this year and many of the players are still very young. They definitely have a one year window right now to go far if a few things click in place. A ton of their veteran players are on one year deals or in the last year of their deals, so the team could look very different next year. Not sure if their starting pitching will be good enough unless a few guys have career years.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 09:56:48 AM »
And the Orioles announce a day or two ago that there will be zero games available over the air for free this year.  Meanwhile, the local affiliate that's carried them for 64 years has been running ads for Opening Day.  Yeah, as we find out, for the frickin' pregame!
Not that twenty games was a bunch, but it's yet another thumb up the arse by an owner who has made a bunch from a publicly financed stadium.  Not the best PR, but that's never affected his decision making.

We basically 'cut the cord' two years ago, saving us well over $100 a month.  We would pay $10-20 a month for their sports network (MASN), but Comcast doesn't offer things like that.  And for those who say, 'get mlb.com', that isn't offered either as an individual purchase.  And the O's don't stream their games.

How the hell is MLB going to maintain/grow a fan base, if they are too stupid not to televise their product?   
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »
And the Orioles announce a day or two ago that there will be zero games available over the air for free this year.  Meanwhile, the local affiliate that's carried them for 64 years has been running ads for Opening Day.  Yeah, as we find out, for the frickin' pregame!
Not that twenty games was a bunch, but it's yet another thumb up the arse by an owner who has made a bunch from a publicly financed stadium.  Not the best PR, but that's never affected his decision making.

We basically 'cut the cord' two years ago, saving us well over $100 a month.  We would pay $10-20 a month for their sports network (MASN), but Comcast doesn't offer things like that.  And for those who say, 'get mlb.com', that isn't offered either as an individual purchase.  And the O's don't stream their games.

How the hell is MLB going to maintain/grow a fan base, if they are too stupid not to televise their product?

Do not miss Angelos..... at all.

Go Phillies!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
And the first PITCH of the 2018 season results in a home run.

Online pg1067

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
Cubs sent 9 to the plate in the first and scored 3 runs with only 1 hit.  LOL!

Will the Marlins lose more or less than 110 games this year?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »

I'll take the under. But not by much. I'm guessing 57-105. Feel bad for Donnie Baseball. Not his fault.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »

Nice to see MLB hand the Cubs a cake walk first series of the year   :lol   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »

Nice to see MLB hand the Cubs a cake walk first series of the year   :lol

To be fair... the schedule was released before the Marlins traded all of their studs away.