General > General Discussion

2018 Major League Baseball Thread - Red October

(1/103) > >>

Destiny Of Chaos:
2017 Thread - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49536.0
2016 Thread - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45462.0
2015 Thread - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43353.0

Another year, and another long time Championship drought has come to an end. The Houston Astros core of young exciting players powered their way to the franchise’s first World Series Championship.

There seems to be only a handful of teams that look to be contenders, while most teams are mired in rebuilds. On top of that, free agency has all but hit a standstill, with many big names without new deals heading into spring training. But there were some big trades, none seemingly bigger than Stanton to the Yankees.

New Managers
Boston – Alex Cora takes over for John Farrell.
Detroit – Ron Gardenhire, formally of the Minnesota Twins takes over for Brad Ausmus
N.Y. Mets – Mickey Callaway takes over for Terry Collins
N.Y. Yankees – Former Yankee player Aaron Boon takes over for Joe Girardi.
Philadelphia – Gabe Kapler takes over for Pete MacKanin, who will remain with the organization.
Washington – Dave Martinez takes over for Dusty Baker.

The 2018 All Star Game will take place in Washington D.C., marking the 4th year in a row that the game will be played in a National League ballpark.

What is the state of your team heading into the new season? Any early predictions for anything that we’ll see?

Cool Chris:

--- Quote from: Destiny Of Chaos on February 09, 2018, 10:44:44 AM ---Any early predictions for anything that we’ll see?

--- End quote ---

The Mariners will be mediocre. I know what you are thinking... "But Cool Chris, how can you make such a bold prediction like that?" Call it a hunch. I certainly am not basing it on any sort of historical track record the franchise has. 

pg1067:
Go Dodgers!!!  This will be six division titles in a row, and I don't think anyone in the NL is significantly improved, so I predict relatively smooth sailing to the World Series.  Cody Bellinger and Corey Seager will continue to cement their status as two of the best young players in the league.  Kershaw will have a bounce-back regular season (not that 2017 was bad, but it wasn't up to his personal standards).  Hopefully Julio Urias comes back as predicted or earlier, and I think Walker Buehler will take a run at the Dodgers third straight Rookie of the Year award.

The giants will continue to suck balls (as it should be).

I don't think there's any way the Yankees don't win the AL East, but this just feels like the early 2000s when the Yankees tried to buy Championships and were continually defeated in the playoffs by inferior teams.

The Astros will probably repeat in the West.  The Angels are much improved, but they have shit for pitching.  Watching what happens with Otani will be interesting.

The Indians and Cubs will almost certainly repeat in the Central Divisions, as will the Nats in the NL East.

Somewhere along the way, we'll get a surprise team or two, and that will be interesting to watch for.

T-ski:
the Brewers overachieved big time last season.  They were in the process of a complete rebuild but scratched that by trading for Christian Yelich and signing Lorenzo Cain.  They are still looking for an ace in the rotation but have a lot of good young arms knocking on the major league door.  Still talk of Darvish and Arrietta as possibilities, but I don't think they want to really bust the bank at this point. 

Wouldn't surprise me if they are a better team this year and have a worse record.

Destiny Of Chaos:
Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Cubs are close to signing Yu Darvish for appx. 6 years, 150 million.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version