Author Topic: DIRT POOR ROBINS - v. Firebird (2/29/2024)  (Read 11595 times)

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: DIRT POOR ROBINS - v. Queen of the Night (11/15/22)
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2023, 08:47:33 AM »
Personally think Deadhorse is the best thing they've done so far.  So definitely up for more of it.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2023, 12:17:55 PM »
Hah, one of the first threads bumped for a band that I've really gotten into since my roulette.  Deadhorse is definitely my favorite in their discography based on the first runthrough, so that should be fantastic.  It's curious how they have some musical theater elements to their sound, which is historically a style I've never really cared for, but they're one of the few artists who it doesn't bother me about. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2023, 04:37:50 PM »
Hah, one of the first threads bumped for a band that I've really gotten into since my roulette.  Deadhorse is definitely my favorite in their discography based on the first runthrough, so that should be fantastic.  It's curious how they have some musical theater elements to their sound, which is historically a style I've never really cared for, but they're one of the few artists who it doesn't bother me about.

it is really cool you've gotten into them from your Roulette.

You're not really that into The Dear Hunter though? although I've seen some fans of DPR who aren't that big of fans of TDH.

It's weird with the Deadhorse album, as I love it and it actually was my Album of the Year for 2020. But it holds a little of a stigma for me in that I associate it with some difficult times. 1 being just coming out sort  of amongst COVID and how daily life seemed to change. And then I can't get past how I listened to the whole thing when my wife's dog Coco was sufferng and then had to be put down.

It unfortunately has carried that association for me since. I can't avoid thinking of her dog of 14+ years Coco and the tone and subject matter in some ways in Deadhorse being like the end of the world and how we long or I long for a time when Coco was still with us and COVID was not a thing. Even just living in a better place. I moved into a Townhouse I don't love (which wasn't so bad initially, but 9 months later, literally within weeks of COVID, new LOUD neighbors moved-in next door) and was diagnosed with Diabetes and having a Bloodclot.

I.e. Deadhorse almost reminds me how in a lot of ways, life was better before it, and I wish I could go back to the time before it.

But music does that to you sometimes. Sometimes stuff like that you can get over and not associate with music, but sometimes it's not easy and just hoping Time Heals you know.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2023, 05:14:07 PM »
I listened to an album or two of TDH's probably a decade and a half ago when they were blowing up.  I actually like the track "Battesimo Del Fuoco", which has a really cool vocal arrangement.  But I don't like the nasal lead vocal timbre (even still listening to that song again now, as I do on occasion), and remember finding it quite annoying throughout the rest of the album.  I should probably revisit them at some point, since in doing some research for DPR I did see them brought up a lot as similar bands, but I'm still kind of worried about it.  You could risk your roulette score and send them there (like Luke did with KGLW and C&C :) ), or just maybe list a few interesting songs here and I can give them a listen outside of the roulette.  That'd be safer, though I'd probably only give them a single listen for now unless I found them more intriguing. 

Yeah, there can definitely be some association of music with external events.  Sorry to hear about all of that.  I also have some music that I have similar challenges with because it's connected to unpleasant stuff in my life.  There's some other music that I actually like even more because I found it cathartic in association with various trauma, so it's kind of unpredictable though. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2023, 12:14:48 PM »
I kind of ruled out sending anything from The Dear Hunter per I assumed you knew them and/or wasn't that much into them.

I suppose if you've only heard the 1st 2 Acts and part of the issue is Casey's nasal vocal style, I think his vocal quality and writing even has improved a fair amount in some ways since. Act IV and V really and on Antimai. But I'm not sure if it would matter or if it makes more sense to introduce you to other artists instead.

Unsure, but I'll keep it in mind. I did consider 1 tune off The Color Spectrum on the current round, but passed based on that reason I just mentioned.

Anyway, so they posted this about Deadhorse 2. Maybe "Deadhorse: Firebird" or just "Firebird"? will be the title? and it may be coming sooner than we might expect.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=654417106491876&set=a.223150319618559

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: DIRT POOR ROBINS - v. "Deadhorse 2" aka "Firebird" (2023?)
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2023, 12:23:34 PM »
Is there a relatively easy way to summarize their discography?  The way RYM and the streaming sites have it organized conflicts a bit, and then some albums have the same songs, others have different versions of the same songs, and it's all a bit confusing. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2023, 03:32:22 PM »
-The Cage
-The Last Days of Leviathan
-The Raven Locks Act 1-3 (3 albums, but released later as 1 release)
-Deadhorse (the 3 "Dead Horse, Alaska" EPs: Red, Gold and Onyx, were originally released, then all of those songs + some additional tracks came out on the full Deadhorse)
-Queen of the Night (a Soundtrack album that comprised of most of the songs on the QOTN episodes,/film but also 2 additional songs not included, that were added to the album)

The EPs + Episode Tracks from Queen of the Night, and Compilation I look at as separate even the 3 Dead Horse Alaska EPs had most of what ended up on Deadhorse.

"Great Vacation" is on both The Cage and The Raven Locks (Act 3), although the version on The Cage is different from Raven Locks version.

"Solemn Dream" and "Solemn Awakening" are different tunes from Raven Locks (Act 1 and And Act 2 originally).

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2023, 02:32:25 PM »
Prelude to Firebird [EP] coming May 31st!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrT67rXO7oA/

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2023, 02:43:23 PM »
Excellent. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2023, 03:55:58 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrwWzLUI5zT/

Teaser

May 31st - Our new EP “Prelude to Firebird” is releasing. It will feature 4 new songs from our up and coming LP “Firebird”.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: DIRT POOR ROBINS - v. Firebird (2023?)
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2023, 10:36:16 AM »
Welcome to Lady Hell Wes Anderson-style AI Parody

both creative and creepy at the same time (the AI part mostly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d0XTJ2zgHc

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2023, 10:38:21 AM »
Prelude to Firebird up

https://open.spotify.com/album/4T8FIKCexNfkyFMvfXj0bq

new interview with Neil talking about when Firebird will come out, different versions (both 2023 and 2024)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6X0ZcazHu0

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2023, 12:06:49 PM »
The 4-song EP is really good, I'm definitely stoked for more material, they seem to be in their prime to me.  "To the Heights" has already skyrocketed to one of my favorite songs of the year so far.  I noticed a few other similar passages scattered throughout their other albums, but if Neil is handling the guitar work on this, he's a sneakily underrated player.  It's amusing how well a shred solo works over that tune, for example.  They make a great tandem. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2023, 12:40:21 PM »
Yeah I believe does play the guitar solo, which if it does remind of something previously, I thought of the tune "Leviathan."
https://open.spotify.com/track/7oygkyuWn2d2Aa6nJ8oUkB

Yeah, he's quite good, and his guitar work is probably not thought of enough, because of all of the other elements in their music.

Yeah, they are on a roll for me. Really, a rare case of everything that they make seems to really work for me. My only concern about this EP is hearing what Neil said, it includes a decent amount of the full length Firebird, I don't want to burn out when that does come out. But in some cases, like with the Deadhorse, Alaska EPs, or Queen of the Night even, it didn't really matter. Many of those songs found a bit more life within the album even after hearing them many times.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2023, 01:42:55 AM »
My only concern about this EP is hearing what Neil said, it includes a decent amount of the full length Firebird, I don't want to burn out when that does come out.

I think Firebird is going to be initially be 10 tracks released later this year, and then a extended release next year with extra tracks.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2023, 04:58:36 PM »
I came across this not long after my last post and forget to mention it here, it kind of answers my question as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWBNTWNFXKI

But also, am I really bad at searching, or is there not really any live footage of them anywhere?  There's this clip, though it's hardly representative of them. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt4lNlWbwpA

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2023, 06:15:04 PM »
Neither Dirt Poor Robins nor Neil's project No More Kings have played live all that much. I think much of it comes down to time and logistics.

I know Neil has mentioned looking into doing a special DPR show, likely near their hometown, which was in Kentucky, but him and Kate and their family now live in a part of Florida.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2023, 06:43:05 PM »
new single "Fever Dream" coming next month.

https://twitter.com/dirtpoorrobins/status/1696241677747306747

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2023, 07:49:27 PM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2023, 09:22:21 PM »
Wow, Neil is really going for it on their newer material it seems.  I certainly don't mind. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2023, 09:10:17 AM »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2023, 09:37:19 AM »
I definitely like the new electronic dimension they're adding lately, it expands their sound nicely. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2023, 06:44:32 PM »
I'm starting to think they're incapable of writing a mediocre song. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2023, 11:38:15 PM »
maybe, lol..other than the maybe like "Drinking a Drink of My Drink" off Raven Act 2 which gets really tedious and repetitive for me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2023, 06:55:24 PM »
Ok, so maybe there's at least one, lol.  I don't know if I even count that as a proper song, more of a silly interlude, but sure. 

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2023, 06:15:10 AM »
There are a couple of tracks on Queen of the Night that border on being a tad boring.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2023, 10:43:35 AM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: DIRT POOR ROBINS - v. Firebird (2/29/2024)
« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2024, 10:42:01 AM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2024, 10:57:37 AM »
Oh hey, I guess I'm a fan of this band now. Seems like they don't have any physical releases for their albums? I'll get the download if that's all there is, but if there's a CD option buried somewhere on the site that I can't find, that would be my preference.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2024, 12:47:09 PM »
their last record "Queen of the Night" has yet to be released in a physical format, however others have been

https://www.amazon.com/CDs-Vinyl-Dirt-Poor-Robins/s?rh=n%3A5174%2Cp_32%3ADirt+Poor+Robins

Firebird is planned to be released on Vinyl.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2024, 04:28:41 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2024, 06:52:52 PM »
yeah it's pretty great and very anthemic like Skywriter. Kate sometimes can totally own the song.

Stoked for Thursday.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2024, 07:26:48 PM »
The first listen was a little underwhelming, but it'll probably grow on me.  "Skywriter" is one of my favorites of theirs, so it's a high bar to clear. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2024, 08:29:41 PM »
their last record "Queen of the Night" has yet to be released in a physical format, however others have been

https://www.amazon.com/CDs-Vinyl-Dirt-Poor-Robins/s?rh=n%3A5174%2Cp_32%3ADirt+Poor+Robins

Firebird is planned to be released on Vinyl.

Yeah, I saw that, but they're all marked as 'currently unavailable' on Amazon, and there didn't even seem to be any on discogs which is my normal go-to for not-on-Amazon albums. People on there will sell a copy of Dan Swano's Moontower for regular CD prices, they're nuts.