3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185147 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Divisional Week
« Reply #2730 on: January 07, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
Plus, Dallas fans seem to travel well when playing in So Cal, so that is a neutral site game at best.

There is no result this coming weekend that will surprise me. It's rare to say it, but I think any of the remaining eight teams could end up winning the Super Bowl.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2731 on: January 07, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »
The kick was tipped at best, grazed at worst. It was not blocked. Blocked kicks don't make it to the goalpost.

The NFL has officially credited Hester with a Block

Well, yeah.  They don't have a "grazed" stat.  :lol  But DoC likes being pedantic, even when his arguments are indefensible, so...  :dunno:

Plus, Dallas fans seem to travel well when playing in So Cal, so that is a neutral site game at best.

Yeah, that's a better way of saying it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2732 on: January 07, 2019, 01:59:49 PM »
The kick was tipped at best, grazed at worst. It was not blocked. Blocked kicks don't make it to the goalpost.

Well that's what I get for using common sense when appliying the word block to something that was not blocked. But I looked it up and you're right.....the NFL counts any contact by a defender as a block, so......learn something new every day.

Well, yeah.  They don't have a "grazed" stat.  :lol  But DoC likes being pedantic, even when his arguments are indefensible, so...  :dunno:

You must have me confused with someone else or have misremembered something...... cause that ain't me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2733 on: January 07, 2019, 02:12:38 PM »

You must have me confused with someone else or have misremembered something...... cause that ain't me.

???  What are you even talking about?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2734 on: January 07, 2019, 02:14:15 PM »
Indefensible arguments....the next one I present will be my first. I'll try to model it off of your "Russell Wilson is a notoriously dirty player" argument.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2735 on: January 07, 2019, 02:15:43 PM »
Well, you might try making sense, because I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2736 on: January 07, 2019, 04:09:46 PM »
Not sure if that means you are picking the home teams because home field advantage plays a role, or just because you think they are better.  But I will say that when it comes to home field advantage, I really don't think the Rams have anything other than just not having to travel.

IMO, the Rams are vastly superior to the Cowboys on both sides of the ball, and about the only area where they're even is at the RB position.  Whether the Rams have any significant home-field advantage is debatable, but not having to travel is significant, as is having had the week off.

I can't see the Chargers winning two straight road playoff games on the east coast.  In the Belichick/Brady era, the only time the Patriots have lost in the divisional round was that fluke 2011 game against Mark Sanchez and the Jets.

The Saints are miles better than the Eagles, and the week off and home-field advantage only helps that.

As mentioned, the only game where I feel like the road team has a decent shot at winning is the Chiefs v. Colts game, and that's only because the Colts have been riding so high and the Chiefs have a history of playoff disappointment.

Not that this has any real predictive value, but in the last seven seasons since Green Bay won Super Bowl 45 as a #6 seed (in 2011, following the 2010 season), no wild card teams have made the Super Bowl, and only one (San Francisco in 2013-14) has even made it past the divisional round.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2737 on: January 07, 2019, 06:21:30 PM »
As mentioned, the only game where I feel like the road team has a decent shot at winning is the Chiefs v. Colts game, and that's only because the Colts have been riding so high and the Chiefs have a history of playoff disappointment.

Never doubt Andy Reid's McClellanesque talents.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2738 on: January 07, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
I can't see the Chargers winning two straight road playoff games on the east coast.  In the Belichick/Brady era, the only time the Patriots have lost in the divisional round was that fluke 2011 game against Mark Sanchez and the Jets.

What about when Plummer and the Broncos beat the Patriots in Denver in 2005? I'm assuming you meant that they haven't lost at home in the divisional round aside from the Jets game.

I'm picking the Chargers to win this one because I think they're a really bad matchup for the Patriots. If anything, it should help their chances that they already had to play on the east coast last weekend. I think this is the most well balanced team Rivers has had in his career. If they can pull this one off, I think they go on to win the Super Bowl.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2739 on: January 07, 2019, 07:23:54 PM »
People, this is not a good (by their standards) Patriots team. Them losing to the Chargers should not shock anyone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2740 on: January 07, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »
I think it would shock a lot of people, including several who have posted in this thread  :lol

They haven't lost at home once this season and they're coming off a bye week... even though I picked the Chargers and feel good about their chances, it wouldn't surprise me if the Patriots ended up winning.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2741 on: January 07, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »
Around here, we usually refer to this week as a "Double Bye" or the "Tomato Can" game.

Not this year. The Chargers are for real and this game could go either way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2742 on: January 07, 2019, 07:33:54 PM »
I can respect that... some are looking at history and writing the Chargers off without taking the time to analyze the matchup. I think it will be the best game of the weekend.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2743 on: January 07, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »

IMO, the Rams are vastly superior to the Cowboys on both sides of the ball, and about the only area where they're even is at the RB position.  Whether the Rams have any significant home-field advantage is debatable, but not having to travel is significant, as is having had the week off.

I do not agree. Dallas has a significantly better defense than the Rams, and I think Zeke will run all over the Rams.  Despite having the best defensive player in the league and a bunch of stars, the Rams D has not gelled as a whole and was subpar for much of the season.

What about when Plummer and the Broncos beat the Patriots in Denver in 2005?

Man, that was such an enjoyable and thrilling victory! :)

Fun fact: the Broncos are the only team with a winning record against the Patriots in the Belichick/Brady era. :coolio :hat

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2744 on: January 08, 2019, 08:47:17 AM »
I agree with TAC about the Patriots; they are a good team, they are not a good PATRIOTS team.   Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of Rivers; he  would  be a great foil for Andy Reid (since both have a way of folding/melting down when it's time to elevate.  I've called it many times: Phillip Rivers will never win a Super Bowl, and I can't really bail on that horse now, can I?)   So does the Chargers dream die this week or next?   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2745 on: January 08, 2019, 08:51:10 AM »
Of course the Chargers can win but I wouldn't pick them to beat the Pats until they've shown they have made that leap to the next level. This may be a much better chargers team and a lesser Patriots team and I'd think this will be a good close game, but I wouldn't pick the Chargers to win.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2746 on: January 08, 2019, 09:09:49 AM »
IMO, whether the Chargers' season ends this week has less to do with the Pats and more to do with whether or not it snows.  In decent weather, I'm picking the Chargers.  In really bad weather, there is no way I am picking an L.A. team against BB and Tom Brady. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2747 on: January 08, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »

Fun fact: the Broncos are the only team with a winning record against the Patriots in the Belichick/Brady era. :coolio :hat

How is that fact fun?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2748 on: January 08, 2019, 09:17:55 AM »
It's fun for everyone outside the Boston area.  :biggrin:

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2749 on: January 08, 2019, 09:59:31 AM »

What about when Plummer and the Broncos beat the Patriots in Denver in 2005? I'm assuming you meant that they haven't lost at home in the divisional round aside from the Jets game.

Nope.  I intended exactly what I wrote, but I overlooked that game.  My mistake.

People, this is not a good (by their standards) Patriots team. Them losing to the Chargers should not shock anyone.

It wouldn't shock me, but I don't think it likely.

How is that fact fun?

I can imagine few facts being more fun.

IMO, whether the Chargers' season ends this week has less to do with the Pats and more to do with whether or not it snows.  In decent weather, I'm picking the Chargers.  In really bad weather, there is no way I am picking an L.A. team against BB and Tom Brady. 

No precipitation predicted for Foxborough on Sunday, but it will be really cold (predicted high of 31).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2750 on: January 08, 2019, 10:10:49 AM »

No precipitation predicted for Foxborough on Sunday, but it will be really cold (predicted high of 31).

I'm about an hour and a half by the crow to Foxborough, so this may or may not apply, but right now, my weather is sunny and cold (we're not going to see 30, likely, that day).  BUT... our local weatherman said she has two models she generally relies on:  as of yesterday, one is showing the forecast, and one is showing basically blizzard conditions for a good part of New England.   I think it's too early, but it's not out of the question that conditions change. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2751 on: January 08, 2019, 10:32:38 AM »
I was seeing 20% chance of freezing precip.

My hunch is that Bill's got the grounds crew "adjusting" the dials on 15 thermometers so they'll show 10° colder than it actually is, which he'll place all over the Chargers' tunnels and bench area.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2752 on: January 08, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2753 on: January 08, 2019, 10:58:26 AM »
I am not convinced that really cold weather helps the Patriots.  Remember how awesome Brett Favre was in cold weather games?  Then he got a little older and suddenly he didn't play so well in cold games.  And with Father Time catching up to Brady this year, those old bones won't be as comfortable in frigid temps like when he was younger.  Melvin Gordon being healthy and good to go is a big deal, as the Chargers need him to be able to run the ball between the tackles and control the game.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2754 on: January 08, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »
I am not convinced that really cold weather helps the Patriots. 

I'm not saying it "helps" the Pats per se.  But I think it hurts a team that is used to playing outdoors in much more moderate weather a lot more than it hurts the Pats, Brady's age notwithstanding.  Rivers isn't a spring chicken either, but at least Brady has experience playing and winning those types of games.  That's all I'm saying.  I'm kinda making these numbers up, but if the Pats fall from being a 10/10 team in cold weather to an 8/10 team, I think maybe the Charges could fall to a 6/10 team.  And if the wheels fall off on the Chargers due to the cold weather, then Brady doesn't have to do much.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2755 on: January 08, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »
Rivers throws alright in the cold. He's not as good as normal, but he's not bad at all. He is, however, a fumbler in the cold.

But it's not all just Rivers/Brady. You got a 100 players on the field, and only half of them have fulltime experience playing in sub-freezing weather. There's also the Badgely vs Gostkowski part, along with the winds in Foxborough. Weather definitely favors NE.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2756 on: January 08, 2019, 01:41:59 PM »
As much as I despise the Eagles, their win in Chicago (or I should say the Bears loss rather) was somewhat of a blessing.  Now Philly has to go to NO and Dallas goes to LAR.  Much to the Cowboys liking I’m sure.  Once again it will be painful to route for Philly at NO (however unlikely that win will be), but that and a Cowboys win at LAR means the NFC Championship will be in Dallas.  That would be the Cowboys easiest path to the SB.  Nobody wants to play in NO.  I mean NOBODY!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2757 on: January 08, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »
Yes, but the NFC championship will be in NO, so it doesn't really matter.

And the AFC championship will be in L.A., which the NFL must hate. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2758 on: January 08, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »
And the AFC championship will be in L.A., which the NFL must hate.

I'm really inclined to buy a couple tickets (currently going for $500+ on Stubhub) and then see if I can resell them if this actually happens.  Demand for a conference championship game at a facility that only seats 27,000 would be pretty crazy.

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #2759 on: January 08, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »
I dont see how the patriots win this game. yeah they have brady but that chargers d line with bosa, ingram and even philon and square is playing great. the secondary is dangerous as well especially if they play out of that 7 db nickel package. old man gronk vs derwin james or adrian phillips. i'll take that match up all day.

the only thing that worries me about that game is the chargers offense. the chargers havent looked right since the chiefs game granted they've played much tougher defenses in baltimore, denver and baltimore again so it'll be interesting to see what they could do against a soft pats defense.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2760 on: January 08, 2019, 02:45:40 PM »
As much as I despise the Eagles, their win in Chicago (or I should say the Bears loss rather) was somewhat of a blessing.  Now Philly has to go to NO and Dallas goes to LAR.  Much to the Cowboys liking I’m sure.  Once again it will be painful to route for Philly at NO (however unlikely that win will be), but that and a Cowboys win at LAR means the NFC Championship will be in Dallas.  That would be the Cowboys easiest path to the SB.  Nobody wants to play in NO.  I mean NOBODY!

Eagles want to play there. Glad that's the matchup.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2761 on: January 08, 2019, 06:14:25 PM »
I dont see how the patriots win this game. yeah they have brady but that chargers d line with bosa, ingram and even philon and square is playing great. the secondary is dangerous as well especially if they play out of that 7 db nickel package. old man gronk vs derwin james or adrian phillips. i'll take that match up all day.

the only thing that worries me about that game is the chargers offense. the chargers havent looked right since the chiefs game granted they've played much tougher defenses in baltimore, denver and baltimore again so it'll be interesting to see what they could do against a soft pats defense.

With all due respect, I don't see how anyone who watches football can say that.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2762 on: January 08, 2019, 06:27:20 PM »

With all due respect, I don't see how anyone who watches football can say that.

Agreed. Every time people start to write off the Patriots, they kick into another gear and find ways to win when it matters most. It’s honestly incredible to watch, as much as I dread the moment it happens every season.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2763 on: January 08, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »
The Patriots had the 5th best rushing attack in the NFL this season and a top 10 scoring defense.  And, oh yeah, they still have Bill Belichick as their coach and (despite his age) Tom Brady at QB.  It's crazy for anyone to suggest that this team isn't good enough to win it all any more. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2764 on: January 08, 2019, 06:43:02 PM »
Stats are for geeks, geek.  ;D

Some of us have eyes.