3 (3.6%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
1 (1.2%)
Washington Redskins
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: 2018 NFL Thread - The Dynasty  (Read 185121 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Showdown no longer South of the Border
« Reply #2065 on: November 20, 2018, 07:46:34 AM »
I read that the 14 TDs scored by the Chiefs and Rams last night are more than the Bills have scored all season.   :o
True.  The Bills stand at 13 so far.

That game was crazy.  But I think the Saints are a better team than either of these two.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - The Big Easy
« Reply #2066 on: November 20, 2018, 07:49:22 AM »
The Chiefs have averaged 45.5 pts in their two losses.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Showdown no longer South of the Border
« Reply #2067 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:59 AM »
Best game I ever saw!  Major mistakes by Hill and Mahomes at the end.  All they needed to was 3 points to tie.  Hill sacrificed field position on that punt.  Should’ve let it go.

And while I'm not ready to ring the death knell for these guys yet, this is why I'm saying hold off a little bit.  Andy Reid is NOT a game tactician, and so it's fair to assume his players won't be.  They lost that game, not the other way around.  Those mistakes didn't surprise me one bit, and will continue.   

I don't know how good the Rams really are, but I know the Chiefs started to drink their own bathwater, and it's starting to show.    You play SMART FOOTBALL, not "STAR FOOTBALL" and the Chiefs, in that last three minutes, played "STAR FOOTBALL".

(Though, to be fair, there as a little of that in Sean McVay; how do you NOT run down more than 0:24 seconds with the ball at the two minute warning?  That the Chiefs got the ball back is a HUGE fail for the Rams.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2068 on: November 20, 2018, 08:04:08 AM »
So if you're Daniel Snyder how do you not consider bringing in Kaepernick? I've been a staunch defender of teams that don't want to hire him because I understand the complications you'd be saddling your team with. He's not good enough to start, and as a backup he's not worth the hassle. Yet this is a perfect opportunity for everybody. Necessity provides you cover from the naysayers, and in the middle of the season you're already adept at dodging the distractions the media will create. In the meantime, you're leading your division heading into the home stretch, and your starting QB is suddenly Colt McCoy. The available pool of backups is EJ Manuel, Kellen Clemens, Mark Sanchez, and TJ Yates. Is there really any argument that Kap isn't good enough for Washington?

I dunno.  To play devil's advocate, there's just the argument that he just isn't very good.  Is he better than any of the guys you listed?  I'm not so sure he is.  And if the available pool of backups is 5 equally talentless guys, one of whom sued me, I'm probably finding that guy ranked #5 on that list. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2069 on: November 20, 2018, 08:05:55 AM »
So if you're Daniel Snyder how do you not consider bringing in Kaepernick? I've been a staunch defender of teams that don't want to hire him because I understand the complications you'd be saddling your team with. He's not good enough to start, and as a backup he's not worth the hassle. Yet this is a perfect opportunity for everybody. Necessity provides you cover from the naysayers, and in the middle of the season you're already adept at dodging the distractions the media will create. In the meantime, you're leading your division heading into the home stretch, and your starting QB is suddenly Colt McCoy. The available pool of backups is EJ Manuel, Kellen Clemens, Mark Sanchez, and TJ Yates. Is there really any argument that Kap isn't good enough for Washington?

I dunno.  To play devil's advocate, there's just the argument that he just isn't very good.  Is he better than any of the guys you listed?  I'm not so sure he is.  And if the available pool of backups is 5 equally talentless guys, one of whom sued me, I'm probably finding that guy ranked #5 on that list.

Here's the other side of that:   if you're Kaep, why do you come back?  What do you gain?   If I'm Kaep's lawyer/agent, I put out feelers to every team except for Kansas City, Los Angeles, or Tennessee, but only to support my collusion claim.  If I'm Kaep, I have zero incentive to play football, at least at this point. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2070 on: November 20, 2018, 08:20:14 AM »
Kaep has the potential to be a great quarterback, though. For much of his career he was pretty bad. For a lot of it he was a real winner. Moreover, he was competitive as all fuck, and now he's got something to prove. It actually reminds me of Dog-Killer, who came back to have one phenomenal season. None of the other guys have any potential whatsoever to be more than a lower tier backup.

Here's the other side of that:   if you're Kaep, why do you come back?  What do you gain?   If I'm Kaep's lawyer/agent, I put out feelers to every team except for Kansas City, Los Angeles, or Tennessee, but only to support my collusion claim.  If I'm Kaep, I have zero incentive to play football, at least at this point. 
This is a good point, and certainly after the Nike deal he's got no financial incentive to play. (The collusion case won't lead to anything. Like I said, players have no basic human rights.) He's got personal motivation, though, and from what I understand he's still practicing 5 hours a day. By all accounts he really wants to play football again, presumably just to prove himself.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2071 on: November 20, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
Kaep has the potential to be a great quarterback, though.

He does?  This statement legitimately baffles me.  And I say that as someone who followed him locally here very closely for pretty much his entire career.  And I just don't see that.  At all.  I would compare him to maybe RGIII, who similarly looked like he had huge upside potential to be amazing during his first two seasons, and then completely tanked once defenses figured out that he was a one-trick pony that possessed off-the-charts athleticism, but was sorely lacking in basic QB skills.  That athleticism was initially able to mask the other deficiencies.  But, again, once defenses figured out how to play him and how to take that away, he couldn't fall back on just being a solid QB because that wasn't his skill set.

It actually reminds me of Dog-Killer, who came back to have one phenomenal season.

Except that Kaep has not shown evidence that he is capable of reversing his downward slide.  Vick's problems were never with his skills.  It was always his off the field issues, unless I ma forgetting something.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2072 on: November 20, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »
Kaep has the potential to be a great quarterback, though.

He does?  This statement legitimately baffles me.  And I say that as someone who followed him locally here very closely for pretty much his entire career.  And I just don't see that.  At all.  I would compare him to maybe RGIII, who similarly looked like he had huge upside potential to be amazing during his first two seasons, and then completely tanked once defenses figured out that he was a one-trick pony that possessed off-the-charts athleticism, but was sorely lacking in basic QB skills.  That athleticism was initially able to mask the other deficiencies.  But, again, once defenses figured out how to play him and how to take that away, he couldn't fall back on just being a solid QB because that wasn't his skill set.

It actually reminds me of Dog-Killer, who came back to have one phenomenal season.

Except that Kaep has not shown evidence that he is capable of reversing his downward slide.  Vick's problems were never with his skills.  It was always his off the field issues, unless I ma forgetting something.
Fine. We'll just assume that Kaep's a shitty quarterback with freakish athleticism. Isn't that still a better option than a shitty quarterback without that athleticism? Anyway you slice it the upside potential of Kaep greatly outweighs anything you're going to get from the other options.

Insofar as DK goes, for one season he was a much better quarterback upon his return than he ever was with Atlanta.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2073 on: November 20, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »
Is Kaep even in game shape?  I have no idea what he's up to these days as in if he's even ready to play on Sunday if he were asked.

If he were ready to go, I'd say put him in over the other guys listed.  Having to go this route means your season is already pretty fucked, might as well make some news and put what probably is the best shot of the bunch on the field.  Then it's up to Kaep to prove himself worthy and if he does, then your organization might look like the good guy here or if he sucks then you gave him the shot and move onto next season and you still come out looking good for trying.  Just sign him to a one year deal so you it's not your responsibility to keep him when your QB is healthy again and if he does well, then he will have earned another contract with another team I'd imagine.

Either way, I'm not sure why he would even risk coming to play and potentially showing that he isn't good enough to be an NFL starter and proving the haters right, at least in the haters mind.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2074 on: November 20, 2018, 08:57:38 AM »
We are just emotionally spent.  I swear, we walked out of that game and us and the Chiefs fans were just shaking our heads and patting each other on the backs.  Fucking INSANE!  The Coliseum was ROCKING!!!!!!   Here's some shots before the game down on the field....

https://imgur.com/9BQRGz0

https://imgur.com/tSYNXLN

https://imgur.com/YbOB0Hl

https://imgur.com/THtutlF

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2075 on: November 20, 2018, 09:26:49 AM »
Is Kaep even in game shape?  I have no idea what he's up to these days as in if he's even ready to play on Sunday if he were asked.

If he were ready to go, I'd say put him in over the other guys listed.  Having to go this route means your season is already pretty fucked, might as well make some news and put what probably is the best shot of the bunch on the field.  Then it's up to Kaep to prove himself worthy and if he does, then your organization might look like the good guy here or if he sucks then you gave him the shot and move onto next season and you still come out looking good for trying.  Just sign him to a one year deal so you it's not your responsibility to keep him when your QB is healthy again and if he does well, then he will have earned another contract with another team I'd imagine.

Either way, I'm not sure why he would even risk coming to play and potentially showing that he isn't good enough to be an NFL starter and proving the haters right, at least in the haters mind.
By all accounts he's in fantastic shape. He never stopped training, and has taken the position that he needs to be in better playing shape than anybody else.

As for the last part, it kind of answers itself. It's a question of whether or not he wants to prove himself or is afraid to prove himself, and to assume the latter isn't really fair. My guess is that he's actually desperate to prove himself.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2076 on: November 20, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »
We are just emotionally spent.  I swear, we walked out of that game and us and the Chiefs fans were just shaking our heads and patting each other on the backs.  Fucking INSANE!  The Coliseum was ROCKING!!!!!!   Here's some shots before the game down on the field....

https://imgur.com/9BQRGz0

https://imgur.com/tSYNXLN

https://imgur.com/YbOB0Hl

https://imgur.com/THtutlF

:tup
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2077 on: November 20, 2018, 09:29:15 AM »
Fine. We'll just assume that Kaep's a shitty quarterback with freakish athleticism. Isn't that still a better option than a shitty quarterback without that athleticism? Anyway you slice it the upside potential of Kaep greatly outweighs anything you're going to get from the other options.

Maybe.  I'm not so sure.  And, again, even if you're right, the potential downside also might greatly outweigh anything you're going to get from the other options.  Just depends on your perspective. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2078 on: November 20, 2018, 09:41:06 AM »

Maybe.  I'm not so sure.  And, again, even if you're right, the potential downside also might greatly outweigh anything you're going to get from the other options.  Just depends on your perspective.
I think that just depends on where your priorities are. The chances of anybody they're looking at heroically leading them into the playoffs are nil. The chances of Kaep doing the same do exist. If you want to win then he's your best shot and you deal with the fallout. Seems to me they're writing the season off, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2079 on: November 20, 2018, 10:00:54 AM »
They're in a division that's completely up for grabs. Big picture, they weren't going to upset the likes of the Saints or Rams in January, but even with Colt McCoy, they will still contend for the division.

As for Kaepernick..... does anyone know if he actually wants to play? If I were him... I'd be beating my hands on the podium at a press conference saying I want to play and I'll take the league minimum if someone gives me a shot.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2080 on: November 20, 2018, 10:03:52 AM »

By all accounts he's in fantastic shape. He never stopped training, and has taken the position that he needs to be in better playing shape than anybody else.

As for the last part, it kind of answers itself. It's a question of whether or not he wants to prove himself or is afraid to prove himself, and to assume the latter isn't really fair. My guess is that he's actually desperate to prove himself.

I think this is one of the few things that we fundamentally disagree on.   I'm not a fan of the "athlete playing quarterback", and I don't see a lot of long-term, systemic success with that kind of quarterback.    Good coaches - the Belichicks, of course, but also, Wade Phillips showed this a couple years ago - shut that down when they need to.   Vick did have a good season, but he (physically) paid the price for it, to the point that I think we here commented on how tough that son of a bitch was.   

I don't disagree with you about the general context of this; you have a team in first place, losing their lynchpin, you would think they would test all options, and exhaust all resources.   Hell, use my own argument against me:  bring in Kaep, let him have one more run around the league, let's see if the defenses catch up with him in time to prevent the 'Skins from making the playoff (who cares if they figure out Kaep in 2019, Smith will - hopefully - be back!).   But I don't need "collusion" or "off-field nonsense" to explain to me why I wouldn't be looking at him as a solution.   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2081 on: November 20, 2018, 10:04:48 AM »

I think that just depends on where your priorities are. The chances of anybody they're looking at heroically leading them into the playoffs are nil. The chances of Kaep doing the same do exist. If you want to win then he's your best shot and you deal with the fallout. Seems to me they're writing the season off, though.
^ This is what I was trying to say in my last paragraph.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2082 on: November 20, 2018, 12:16:20 PM »

If he really is desperate to prove himself, I would think a team would want that personally.  You want a guy with that edge.  Also we are talking about quite a bit of time removed.  I feel like any potential backlash to signing him would not be that bad.  Like sure some people hate the guy and won't like the signing and it would be a national story but so many people (myself included) have mentally checked out of the "nfl players kneel for the anthem" thing that you won't be hearing the same cries as you would from a year ago.  I dont know, I think there's a lot of upside to signing him and the downside is he potentially stinks and you cut him afterwards and now he will have no claim to belong in the league which for the people who already hate him, they would be happy to know he has no argument to be in the league anymore.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2083 on: November 20, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »

If he really is desperate to prove himself, I would think a team would want that personally.  You want a guy with that edge.  Also we are talking about quite a bit of time removed.  I feel like any potential backlash to signing him would not be that bad.  Like sure some people hate the guy and won't like the signing and it would be a national story but so many people (myself included) have mentally checked out of the "nfl players kneel for the anthem" thing that you won't be hearing the same cries as you would from a year ago.  I dont know, I think there's a lot of upside to signing him and the downside is he potentially stinks and you cut him afterwards and now he will have no claim to belong in the league which for the people who already hate him, they would be happy to know he has no argument to be in the league anymore.
Yeah, at this point haven't all of the jingo fucks who ran out and burned their Nikes already tuned out the NFL? My hunch is that if a team did sign him you'd see a whole lot of people swearing to never watch the NFL again, but they'd be the exact same people who swore that 5 times in the past. My hunch is that the greater backlash would be from the other owners. They've been infighting for years now, and a team signing him would be the the latest reason for one side to fuck the other. From that point of view Snyder would have been right to not consider him, and Kaep would be right to sue the fuck out of them.
E.F. Benson

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2084 on: November 20, 2018, 02:16:40 PM »
And yet, Michael Dick still was given a second chance.  Go figure.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2085 on: November 20, 2018, 02:35:02 PM »
The owners should have their own reality series. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Dream Team

« Reply #2086 on: November 20, 2018, 05:00:53 PM »
Really enjoyed that game, just noting that the Rams only won by 3 points despite 5 takeaways.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2018 NFL Thread - Mahomes is where the heart is.
« Reply #2087 on: November 20, 2018, 06:49:08 PM »
Pre-Week 12 Power Rankings
1. Saints - 144 points scored in their last three games
2. Rams - won a thriller, but that defense is still a major concern
3. Chiefs - played awful at the start and committed five turnovers and still only lost by 3
4. Steelers - won a game they should not have
5. Patriots - cakewalk schedule down the stretch thanks to their pitiful division means they could still fall into a bye
6. Chargers - tough loss, but seem destined to be the 5 seed
7. Texans - seven wins in a row is pretty special
8. Bears - that felt like their biggest win in years
9. Panthers - good call to go for 2, bad throw by Cam
10. Colts - white hot at the moment

Trending up:
Cowboys - NFC East is now theirs for the taking
Seahawks - staying close to be able to snag a wild card
Giants - two wins in a row after a 1-7 start is...something
Ravens - still don't know what to make of this team
Broncos - defense is playing well, but too little too late

Trending down:
Eagles - officially a trainwreck
Jags - they need to draft a QB early
Falcons - fought their way to .500 and then fell on their asses
Bengals - deep down, didn't we all know they'd fall off after that hot start?
Packers - Adios soon, Mike McCarthy

Top 5 MVP Contenders
1. Drew Brees - pulling away from the pack
2. Patrick Mahomes - insane talent and production, but too many turnovers now to win it
3. Todd Gurley - a subpar game (by his standards) does not devalue him
4. Ben Roethlisberger - still turns it over too much, but always fights till the end
5. Andrew Luck - playing all-world these days

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2088 on: November 20, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »
If the Steelers beat the Pats there won't be a  bye.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2089 on: November 21, 2018, 04:07:06 AM »
And yet, Michael Dick still was given a second chance.  Go figure.

Yeah, that's usually what happens when your convicted of a crime and do your time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2090 on: November 21, 2018, 06:07:15 AM »
The Ravens were gonna sign Kaepernick last year, until his girlfriend went on Twitter and basically called the Ravens owner a slave owner, which, the more I think about it, the more I think that was done so Kaepernick didn't get signed. I think he is more interested in being a martyr than playing football at this point, and doing that ensured the Ravens wouldn't sign him, which means Kaepernick and his followers can keep alive the "he is being blackballed" false narrative.  And it also keeps alive the idea that he could still play well if some team would just give him a chance.  What if he gets signed, plays, and stinks up the joint?  The blackballed narrative is destroyed and everyone sees that he can't play anymore, two things that would not help his rep.  He has given no indication that he still wants to play (sorry, but people saying "he still wants to play" and "he still practices all the time" means squat), because I do not think he does. 

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2091 on: November 21, 2018, 06:43:01 AM »
I hope I'm not being labelled as a "Kaepernick follower" because I agree that there is collusion against him being signed and did mention this "false narrative" of him being blackballed by the NFL before. Would you mind sharing your evidence that makes you so confident that this is a "false narrative"? I just googled "does Kaepernick still want to play football" and the top story was an article from Mike Florio (posted on 11/18), which states the following:

"According to a source with direct knowledge of Kaepernick’s mindset and ongoing physical activities and preparation, Kaepernick wants to play. He continues to work out five hours per day, six days per week for one reason and one reason alone. He wants to play."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/source-colin-kaepernick-wants-to-play/

Maybe this is just more ammunition to keep the "false narrative" going  :rollin

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2092 on: November 21, 2018, 06:59:08 AM »
Forget whether I posted this here a previous time that the whole Kaepernick thing came up

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2700218-nfl1000-is-colin-kaepernick-still-starting-quarterback-material-in-the-nfl
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #2093 on: November 21, 2018, 07:17:45 AM »
That's a good read Axe, thanks for sharing. We all know how great the Niners went on to be after they moved on from him  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2094 on: November 21, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
The Ravens were gonna sign Kaepernick last year, until his girlfriend went on Twitter and basically called the Ravens owner a slave owner, which, the more I think about it, the more I think that was done so Kaepernick didn't get signed. I think he is more interested in being a martyr than playing football at this point, and doing that ensured the Ravens wouldn't sign him, which means Kaepernick and his followers can keep alive the "he is being blackballed" false narrative.  And it also keeps alive the idea that he could still play well if some team would just give him a chance.  What if he gets signed, plays, and stinks up the joint?  The blackballed narrative is destroyed and everyone sees that he can't play anymore, two things that would not help his rep.  He has given no indication that he still wants to play (sorry, but people saying "he still wants to play" and "he still practices all the time" means squat), because I do not think he does.
This is a very real possibility. I just think it's jumping to the negative conclusion rather than the positive one, which is easy to do when we don't like somebody. You see it in the PR subforum all the time. "Well, obviously this is what she really meant." I don't know if it's the case or not, but I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, which is that he does want to prove himself and his girlfriend is just a dumb, racist cunt.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2095 on: November 21, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »
I hope I'm not being labelled as a "Kaepernick follower" because I agree that there is collusion against him being signed and did mention this "false narrative" of him being blackballed by the NFL before. Would you mind sharing your evidence that makes you so confident that this is a "false narrative"? I just googled "does Kaepernick still want to play football" and the top story was an article from Mike Florio (posted on 11/18), which states the following:

"According to a source with direct knowledge of Kaepernick’s mindset and ongoing physical activities and preparation, Kaepernick wants to play. He continues to work out five hours per day, six days per week for one reason and one reason alone. He wants to play."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/source-colin-kaepernick-wants-to-play/

Even if you're right - and I'm not saying you're not - there are other variables to all of this.  His handlers for one.   And for two, the circumstances; remember Bill Ward and the last Sabbath tour?  "I wasn't given a signable contract".   Bullshit.  ANY contract is "signable" if you agree to the terms.  Bill didn't like the deal he was offered, and decided to spin it to make Ozzy/Sharon/Tony look bad.   I'm pretty sure Le'Veon Bell "wants to play", but the fact is, he's in Miami playing "Spiderman" on PS4.   If I'm a team, I'm not throwing a ton of guaranteed money at ANY player, let alone Kaepernick, so we have to make sure we're talking apples to apples here.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2096 on: November 21, 2018, 09:33:05 AM »

Even if you're right - and I'm not saying you're not - there are other variables to all of this.  His handlers for one.   And for two, the circumstances; remember Bill Ward and the last Sabbath tour?  "I wasn't given a signable contract".   Bullshit.  ANY contract is "signable" if you agree to the terms.  Bill didn't like the deal he was offered, and decided to spin it to make Ozzy/Sharon/Tony look bad.   I'm pretty sure Le'Veon Bell "wants to play", but the fact is, he's in Miami playing "Spiderman" on PS4.   If I'm a team, I'm not throwing a ton of guaranteed money at ANY player, let alone Kaepernick, so we have to make sure we're talking apples to apples here.
Hey, let's be fair here. Just because Bill Ward didn't like the terms of the contract doesn't mean that he's the bad guy and not the people who offered it. Greed can be applied to either side, and it's not always the person who declines the offer.

In any case, I have no idea what Kaep is looking for. For all I know he might be willing to play for the league minimum. As far as I know nobody's bothered to find out.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2097 on: November 21, 2018, 09:34:36 AM »
I still just come back to:  I just don't know that he's good enough to consider, and given the limited upside, I can see how the added drama and downside wouldn't make him very hireable, even in a situation like what Washington has right now. 

As a 49er fan who backed him for a long time, I can definitely see the downside just in terms of performance.  He kind of had everyone fooled that first year because, while his completion percentage wasn't great, his yards per completion stat was pretty good, he didn't throw a lot of interceptions, people didn't know how to deal with his ability to run, and on the passes he did complete, his accuracy was fantastic.  Some of the throws he completed during that almost-comeback in the SB were dead-on in really tight windows.  But then in the following years, you see his completion percentage start to creep down.  And you see his accuracy become more and more sporadic.  And teams were able to figure out the read option and limit what he could do there.  And then, suddenly, you are left with a below-average QB, despite him leading a team to the brink of a SB win his first year and to the NFC championship the following year.  And now he's a below-average QB that brings a lot of baggage.  I'm not saying he shouldn't work.  But I understand why he hasn't, and will understand if that continues to be the case, even where you have a team like Washington that is pretty desperate.  I don't see Kaepernick bringing anything positive to the table that their existing QB pool doesn't bring already.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2098 on: November 21, 2018, 09:41:45 AM »

Hey, let's be fair here. Just because Bill Ward didn't like the terms of the contract doesn't mean that he's the bad guy and not the people who offered it. Greed can be applied to either side, and it's not always the person who declines the offer.

In any case, I have no idea what Kaep is looking for. For all I know he might be willing to play for the league minimum. As far as I know nobody's bothered to find out.

I don't think we're that far apart on this, to be honest, just  coming at it from different sides.  I'm really just saying that it's likely got input from both sides; we can quibble whether it's 50-50 or not, but still (for the record, I tend to think he's gotten SOME feelers, but nothing substantial, and opted to not take the low ball offers, which I can't criticize him for doing.)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: November 21, 2018, 11:28:21 AM »
The Ravens were gonna sign Kaepernick last year, until his girlfriend went on Twitter and basically called the Ravens owner a slave owner....

I must need to brush up on my Antebellum history, I do not recall any slave owners having a payroll of $150 million dollars.

There shouldn't be this "social justice" demand that someone offer him a job if no one wants to. Being a NFL QB (or any NFL player for that matter) requires much more than "physical ability to perform the tasks of the position."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'